How Fox News works

retread

14 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

There are two approaches to take.  Either we strengthen our population through education so they are better protected from propaganda or we control content.  Obviously education will take time and leave out older generations.  But those generations will eventually die off.

Deplatforming works. But we need a lot more content control. The shit going on at Fox News needs to end.  I don't know exactly how, but it needs to happen. YouTube has been trying to address their rabbit hole algorithms.  Facebook needs to be decimated or regulated hard.  

Welcome to my world four years ago.  These ships have sailed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I challenge them to go a week without Fox News, and just getting their news from Reuters and the AP, which is where Fox News licenses most of it's "news", and they refuse to.

Why?  Do you challenge them after they refuse?  This seems like an easy thing to do.  Sorry, it's not on you, but I've ignored anyone in my life (anti-vaxx sister) that might fall into this world.  Fuck em all.

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are a huge problem, but I can't support the government getting involved, and so unless FNC viewers leaver, or people are able to pressure the advertisers, I don't see that there is much that can be done.

Um, why?

Edited by Biff Tannen
bolded

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Welcome to my world four years ago.  These ships have sailed. 

It’s the same problem from 4 years ago. But since then a lot of old uneducated have died, a lot of young educated can now vote, we’ve found out that deplatforming works, YouTube has better algorithms, and we don’t have a sitting POTUS amplifying propaganda. Fox News and Facebook and Twitter are still in roughly the same fucked up state or worse

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Fox should have to play a jackass-style disclaimer at the start of every show and during commercial breaks that what you are about to watch is pure bullshit that will rot your brain worse than jackass could have ever hoped to

They should continue with the Jackass theme and kick Tucker Carlson and the nuts for a solid hour.

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

trump_sworn_in_t800.jpg?90232451fbcadccc

If we get the government deciding what Fox News says, what happens when a Trump gets in and his administration starts deciding what PBS, CNN, etc. report on?

Well it does help that Germany has actual laws against nazis on the books to keep that shit out of the mainstream. I'm not in favor of a government agency determining what can be reported on, but we NEED something like the fairness doctrine again, as well more stringent categorization for news channels vs opinion channels with respect to "just the facts" vs "people are saying"

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Lurch said:

Batshit insanity

I love how Fucker says "more than likely" when referring to the FBI and then uses that "premise" as fact one in a beautiful house of cards 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/10/2021 at 9:37 PM, Bama Chick said:

I’m currently doing a bunch of painting and shit on my new Single Lady Pad, so I’m listening to a bunch of audiobooks.

Currently listening to the newly updated version of “Hoax, Donald Trump, Fox News, and The Dangerous Distortion Of Truth” by Brian Stelter.

And, holy shit, Fox News as a company and culture is more fucked up than even I imagined.

The whole Murdoch family - except James - needs to get got.

Yep, I've recommended that book a lot, including in this thread. Everyone needs to see how evil this company is and how it operates. 

On 6/15/2021 at 8:21 AM, BrickHorn said:

I overheard a couple of boomers talking about this the other day. The idea that liberals got people killed because they opposed hydroxychloroquine is circulating now among the moron set. Never mind that hydroxy was always available and just didn’t fucking work. 

Ah this explains why some jackass on Orangebloods was ranting about the libs killing hundreds of thousands by "banning and suppressing" HCQ.

Apparently some observational study (which are always dubious) came out which concluded early administration of HCQ/zithro reduced hospitalizations by 84%. This clown was going on and on about how 84% of the 600k dead could have been saved but for the banning of HCQ. I tried setting him straight and I'm sure y'all know how that went. 

4 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Ah this explains why some jackass on Orangebloods was ranting about the libs killing hundreds of thousands by "banning and suppressing" HCQ.

Apparently some observational study (which are always dubious) came out which concluded early administration of HCQ/zithro reduced hospitalizations by 84%. This clown was going on and on about how 84% of the 600k dead could have been saved but for the banning of HCQ. I tried setting him straight and I'm sure y'all know how that went. 

The real question is why you subscribe to Orangebloods. Like buying Geoff Ketchum his ham?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

trump_sworn_in_t800.jpg?90232451fbcadccc

If we get the government deciding what Fox News says, what happens when a Trump gets in and his administration starts deciding what PBS, CNN, etc. report on?

There would be a bureaucracy between potus and enforcement. It won’t be 100% but will surely help.

We need the fairness doctrine applied to cable news. We need Fox News to have to change their name. We need onscreen labeling for opinions. The UK enforces rules of accuracy and impartiality onto their broadcasters. That is why there is nothing like Hannity or Tucker over there.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Orangebloods? is that a thing?

3 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

There would be a bureaucracy between potus and enforcement. It won’t be 100% but will surely help.

We need the fairness doctrine applied to cable news. We need Fox News to have to change their name. We need onscreen labeling for opinions. The UK enforces rules of accuracy and impartiality onto their broadcasters. That is why there is nothing like Hannity or Tucker over there.

or maybe a list of errors at the end of the program, like SNL has parodied several times for Fox and Friends

Kentucky Derby losers are not turned into Ikea meatballs.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev did not accidentally blow up vowels in his own name.

The chupacabra does not deliver presents on Cinco De Mayo.

President Obama does not want to take away T-shirt guns.

Most women have only two breasts.

The Memphis Grizzlies are not a gay blues band.

Scientology was not founded by I Ron Man.

Bangladesh is not an 80s metal band.

Peaking at ladies’ butts is not a background check.

Actual crows do have feet.

Pot pie is legal in every state.

The California wildfires are not a soccer team.

Jason Collins was not turned gay by a Washington Wizard.

The NRA is not a branch of government.

Foreign visas do not let Russian students go on shopping sprees.

Rick Moranis was never put on death row for shrinking his children.

New York exists outside the mind of Billy Joel.

A French press is not lifting weights with your tongue out.

Lena Dunham is not a girl ventriloquist.

Number 2 pencils are not sad that they lost.

Plan B birth control is not masturbating.

Justin Bieber and Anne Frank were not an item.

President Obama did not just wake up in Mexico.

F.A.A. does not stand for “Fart A**, A**”

Croquettes are not female crocodiles.

Kanye West is not an African American vacation destination.

Syria is not Arabic for “serious.”

Rice and beans are edible. Ricin beans are not.

Casual Friday is not in the Bill of Rights.

Sam Adams was not too drunk to sign the Constitution.

The Gitmo prisoners are not working on their beach bodies.

Force feeding is not how Jedi’s eat.

Kevin Costner does not live in Watertown.

Smurfs are not elected.

Smurfs are not appointed.

Smurfs are cartoons.

Aretha Franklin and Patti Labelle have been in the same room together.

Anytime minutes don’t let you call the future.

4 and 3 aren’t basically the same thing.

Rock beats scissors.

Zach Braff is not the sound a trumpet makes.

🙂

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The real question is why you subscribe to Orangebloods. Like buying Geoff Ketchum his ham?

It's my dad's sub that I use from time to time because it's a good community despite having a lot of dumbasses. Def not there because of jabba the ketch or the product. 

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ultimately, that's what is necessary - we need to stop indulging our family and friends, and start calling them out on the bullshit misinformation they believe in, or pass around.

This. We've all spent way too long indulging idiocy because we want to avoid conflict. 

Filed under: no fucking shit.

Fox’s anti-“critical race theory” parents are also GOP activists

Nearly a dozen of the Fox News guests the network has presented as concerned parents or educators who oppose the teaching of so-called “critical race theory” in schools also have day jobs as Republican strategists, conservative think-tankers, or right-wing media personalities, according to a Media Matters review.

Critical race theory is an academic legal framework which examines the systemic impact of racism in the United States. But “critical race theory,” like “cancel culture” and “political correctness” before it, also functions as an umbrella term the right-wing movement uses to turn its mostly white adherents’ racial anxiety into political energy

In this case, a sophisticated, nationwide network of conservative think tanks, advocacy groups, media outlets, and GOP officials have seized on the term and, in the words of Christopher Rufo -- a senior fellow at the conservative Manhattan Institute and a key player in the effort -- sought to render it “toxic” and apply to it “the entire range of cultural constructions that are unpopular with Americans.” Republicans have proposed or passed a slew of legislation restricting “critical race theory” and hope to use it as a core part of their political strategy in upcoming local, state, and federal elections.

Fox, the leading propaganda outlet for the GOP, plays a key role in this strategy. The network has mentioned “critical race theory” nearly 1,300 times over the past three and a half months. The purportedly sinister spread of “critical race theory” provides a perfect framework for Fox’s technique of highlighting local concerns to fuel the culture war. The network supercharges the individual, at times dubious, stories that filter up with the help of nationally backed local activists, other right-wing outlets, and social media. Fox has targeted the purported influence of “critical race theory” in corporate America, the military, and particularly schools, hosting parents, teachers, and other educators to talk about how they don’t want it taught in their communities.

In several of those cases, the locals Fox has highlighted are also Republican strategists, conservative think-tankers, or right-wing media figures -- ties the network has downplayed or ignored altogether. This trend is particularly notable when Fox covers “critical race theory” controversies in Northern Virginia, a bedroom community for Washington, D.C., in a state where GOP gubernatorial nominee Glenn Youngkin has sought to make his opposition a central issue in the fall.

“The first test will be here in Virginia,” Fox chief Washington correspondent Mike Emanuel reported last month. “If this issue works in the governor's race in November, it will likely be part of the GOP campaign playbook in the midterm elections next year.”

Republican strategists have every right to advocate for their children and their communities, if not to manipulate nationwide education priorities. But since Fox has identified opposition to “critical race theory” as central to the party’s political strategy, the network has a responsibility to inform its viewers about exactly who it’s talking to.

TL:DR - fox has been presenting their own political operatives as "just normal parents" in all of their segments on CRT, in order to astroturf conservative grievances 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

In news that will surprise exactly no one, Tucker talks shit all night about the liberal media and then spends all day talking to the liberal media and spilling the dirt on Trump, the idiots who watch his show, and the idiots who pay him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/20/business/media/tucker-carlson.html?referringSource=articleShare

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

In news that will surprise exactly no one, Tucker talks shit all night about the liberal media and then spends all day talking to the liberal media and spilling the dirt on Trump, the idiots who watch his show, and the idiots who pay him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/20/business/media/tucker-carlson.html?referringSource=articleShare

I figured that he's the one that talks a lot of shit about Hannity and some of the others.

Fox.

I just can't anymore. That anyone would give her the time of day with her wobbling in outrage over something so stupid.

The transcript of the testimony if anyone has not had the opportunity. Short read, < 5 minutes.

Spoiler

Matt Gaetz: (00:00)
Mr. Secretary, why was Lieutenant Colonel Matthew Lohmeyer released of his command?

Secretary Austin: (00:05)
It was a decision made by his chain of command. And typically those decisions are made based upon either having confidence or a lack of confidence. This issue is under investigation by the IG. And so, I won’t comment any further on that.

Matt Gaetz: (00:23)
In my previous discussions with service members, and particularly officers, I would hear about complaints over parts, not arriving on time, long deployments. And in my more recent discussions with those officers, the number one issue that they raised to me with concern often unable to speak publicly for fear of the type of retribution that Lieutenant Colonel Lohmeyer faced, they say that your stand down regarding extremism did not help our military. It hurt the military. And I want to share with you that perspective that it caused service members to otherize one another. It impaired group cohesion. And interesting to me is that I’ve heard those sentiments most frequently from units that are majority minority, that this was not particularly helpful. So I wanted to give you the opportunity to maybe share with us more specificity regarding the definitions that seem to be a challenge when Ms. Hartzler was asking questions. How should the Department of Defense think about critical race theory?

Speaker 3: (01:32)
Could I make a comment, Secretary? I’m sorry.

Matt Gaetz: (01:34)
I’m very limited on my time, General.

Speaker 3: (01:36)
I just want to make comment that-

Matt Gaetz: (01:38)
I’ve asked the question to the Secretary Austin.

Secretary Austin: (01:41)
I don’t know what the issue of critical race theory is and what the relevance here in the department. We do not teach critical race theory. We don’t embrace critical race theory. And I think that’s a spurious conversation. And so we are focused on extremist behaviors and not ideology, not people’s thoughts, not people’s political orientation. Behaviors is what we’re focused on. But in one final point, and thanks for your anecdotal input. But I would say that I have gotten 10 times that amount of input, 50 times that amount of input on the other side that have said, hey, we’re glad to have had the ability to have a conversation with ourselves and with our leadership, and that’s what we need-

Matt Gaetz: (02:33)
Reclaiming my time, Mr. Secretary. It may be that you’re receiving that input in the ratios you describe because it was your directive. It may be that people are concerned about criticizing your decision because Lieutenant Colonel Lomeyer was not relieved of his command for his actions. He was not relieved of his command because of poor performance regarding his duties. He was relieved of his command precisely because of his thoughts and because of his critique of critical race theory.

Matt Gaetz: (03:02)
It is particularly helpful that you have said that the Department of Defense does not embrace critical race theory, and that you think the discussion is not appropriate. I would suggest that it is the ideology that is not appropriate. And it is particularly concerning to me that you have hired a critical race theorist to give you advice on personnel matters. And that person is Bishop Garrison. And I would particularly observe that on July 27th, 2019, Bishop Garrison tweeted regarding former President Trump, “He’s dragging a lot of bad actors out into the sunlight, normalizing their actions.” And here’s the relevant part. “If you support the president, you support that. There is no room for nuance in this. There is no more, but I’m not like that talk.” And then he replies to his own tweet with what seems to be a very ethno nationalist hashtag, #black44. Could you enlighten us as to what advice Mr. Garrison has given you? And are you concerned that while you testify publicly to our committee, that the department doesn’t embrace critical race theory, you have hired someone who is precisely a critical race theorist?

Secretary Austin: (04:14)
This is the first I’ve ever heard Mr. Garrison be described as a critical race theorist. So this is new and I’m sure-

Matt Gaetz: (04:24)
Did you review his tweets before you hired him personally? Did you review his tweets before you hired him?

Secretary Austin: (04:30)
I did not personally review his tweets.

Matt Gaetz: (04:32)
I would just ask that maybe that’d be helpful. Is there anything you can share in just these final seconds regarding any advice he’s given you?

Secretary Austin: (04:39)
Let me just share one other thing that you brought up, congressmen about the input that comes to me. You know, I trust my leadership from top to bottom that they will give me fair and balanced and unvarnished input. And for you to say that people are telling me what I want to hear, I get it, but I’m smart enough that-

Matt Gaetz: (05:02)
That does happen.

Secretary Austin: (05:02)
Yeah. You know, maybe they’re telling you what you want to hear.

Matt Gaetz: (05:06)
Well, I don’t know that they even know what I want to hear.

Mr. Chairman: (05:08)
The gentleman’s time has expired. Mr. Brown is recognized for five minutes.

Speaker 5: (05:11)
Thank you, Mr. Chairman-

Ms. Houlahan: (05:13)
… Mr. Chair, and thank you gentlemen, for joining us today. I know my time is very precious, but I would like to yield some of my time to General Milley, because I know that he had some comments that he wanted to make when Representative Gaetz was talking, as well as Mr. Waltz, about a similar subject of the stand down and race theory. Would you like a minute or so to comment on that? Do you remember what your line of questioning, your thought was there?

General Milley: (05:37)
Sure. First of all, on the issue of critical race theory, et cetera, I’ll obviously have to get much smarter on whatever the theory is, but I do think it’s important actually for those of us in uniform to be open-minded and be widely read. And the United States Military Academy is university and it is important that we train and we understand. And I want to understand white rage and I’m white, and I want to understand it. So what is it that cause thousands of people to assault this building and try to overturn the constitution of the United States of America? What caused that? I want to find that out. I want to maintain an open mind here, and I do want to analyze it. It’s important that we understand that because our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and guardians, they come from the American people. So it is important that the leaders now and in the future do understand it.

General Milley: (06:33)
I’ve read Karl Marx. I’ve read Lenin. That doesn’t make me a communist. So what is wrong with understanding, having some situational understanding about the country for which we are here to defend? And I personally find it offensive that we are accusing the United States military, our general officers, our commissioned, non-commissioned office rs of being quote woke or something else because we’re studying some theories that are out there. That was started at Harvard Law School years ago. And it proposed that there were laws in the United States, antebellum laws prior to the Civil War that led to a power differential with African-Americans that were three quarters of a human being when this country was formed. And then we had a Civil War and Emancipation Proclamation to change it. And we brought it up to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It took another a hundred years to change that.

General Milley: (07:19)
So look, I do want to know, and I respect your service. And you and I are both Green Berets, but I want to know, and it matters to our military and the discipline and cohesion of this military. And I thank you for the opportunity to make a comment on that.

Ms. Houlahan: (07:31)
Thank you, general.

Tucker had Oliver North on as a guest for commentary after Biden took office. Of course Tucker lauds a pardoned man convicted of three felony counts for his participation in the Iran Contra affair and denigrates a man who happens to believe that reading and learning about a topic equips one with an understanding as opposed to ignorance.

• Like 2