NIT Round One: Texas vs. South Dakota State, ESPN, 8 PM

Machinator

Are those new rules supposed to make me want to go to the game?  

Fuck it, I'm going for the second half after I watch us beat Arkansas at the Disch.  Who's coming with me?  

So many of our disorganized, panicked, late shot clock 3 point heaves will now just be 2 pointers?   

I suspect we will still neglect working the ball inside... 

I will watch, but I have absolutely no reason to suspect Shaka to make any improvements to recurrent, glaring issues like Snoop dominating the dribble and trying to channel Steph Curry, Febres standing motionless in the corner and having not idea how to drive or free himself for a better look, overusing the 1 big - 4 guard defense and getting destroyed on the boards... 

If the attitude Ramey, Hamm and Hepa play with prevails, we might have a watchable game.  If the Snoop, DO, and Febres melancholia and sapped motivation vibe prevails I may not make it to halftime.   

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This seems like a lot of rules for players and coaches to become acquainted with in like 4 days. 

Just seems like another reason to disregard these stupid fucking consolation tournaments. 

The only "rule" the players need to know is the shot clock one.  The lanes and 3 point lines will be marked on the court, so they can see that. 

The rest of the "rules" are for administrators, the table, and the refs.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pancho Negro said:

The only "rule" the players need to know is the shot clock one.  The lanes and 3 point lines will be marked on the court, so they can see that. 

The rest of the "rules" are for administrators, the table, and the refs.  

That isn't really true... players are definitely tasked with keeping track of whether their team is in the bonus or not, how many team fouls they have, when those fouls reset, what the procedure is when they ARE in the bonus, etc.

At least, good players with good IQ should be aware of those things. 

Even if they aren't, changing the 3 point distance for them at the very end of the season is silly. 

Imagine if the ACTUAL tournament made all these changes before the first round. It would be ludicrous. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This seems like a lot of rules for players and coaches to become acquainted with in like 4 days. 

Just seems like another reason to disregard these stupid fucking consolation tournaments. 

Texas will continue to jack up shit from beyond the arc, thus not being in danger of drawing fouls. 

On defense, Texas will continue to play with hands, not feet, and SDSU will outscore Texas from the FT line. 

Somebody will have to tell me how everything went down because I’ll be watching baseball. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That isn't really true... players are definitely tasked with keeping track of whether their team is in the bonus or not, how many team fouls they have, when those fouls reset, what the procedure is when they ARE in the bonus, etc.

At least, good players with good IQ should be aware of those things. 

Even if they aren't, changing the 3 point distance for them at the very end of the season is silly. 

Imagine if the ACTUAL tournament made all these changes before the first round. It would be ludicrous. 

Dude, I've been a college ref for years.  I'd guess that 80% of the time, players have no clue if they are in the bonus or what the team fouls are.  I still have players ask who gets the ball after halftime.  This goes for players on both good and bad teams.  Hell, have the time the coaches don't know. 

The 3 point line has been changed before (and changed back) so moving it back isn't a big deal.  (They moved it up for more scoring in the game.)

The coaches have advocated for wider lanes for years.  I'm not sure how that still hasn't passed the rules committee.  

The men's side really wants to get rid of halves and go to 4 quarters too.  That didn't pass 2 years ago.  I'd be shocked if it doesn't pass this summer. 

6 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Dude, I've been a college ref for years.  I'd guess that 80% of the time, players have no clue if they are in the bonus or what the team fouls are.  I still have players ask who gets the ball after halftime.  This goes for players on both good and bad teams.  Hell, have the time the coaches don't know. 

The 3 point line has been changed before (and changed back) so moving it back isn't a big deal.  (They moved it up for more scoring in the game.)

The coaches have advocated for wider lanes for years.  I'm not sure how that still hasn't passed the rules committee.  

The men's side really wants to get rid of halves and go to 4 quarters too.  That didn't pass 2 years ago.  I'd be shocked if it doesn't pass this summer. 

I guess you're right - probably more of a thing in the NBA to be cognizant of rules like that. 

We are going to confuse the shit out of women (and old folks) if the college game goes to 4 Qs. I'm in favor. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I guess you're right - probably more of a thing in the NBA to be cognizant of rules like that. 

We are going to confuse the shit out of women (and old folks) if the college game goes to 4 Qs. I'm in favor. 

They really thought it (4 quarters) would pass 2 years ago.  I think it has a good chance this year, but I've been wrong before.  The men's side has been slow when it comes to rules progress of the game compared to women.  The women's rules/regulations are starting to mirror the NBA.  They men really want to go that way too, but they've got too many old school folks running the show who don't want to see it changed. 

Are y'all ready? ARE Y'ALL FUCKING READY?!

It's time to get hype and step aboard the Shaka Train cuz we ain't stopping until, uh ... wherever the NIT Final is! We gonna rain so many 3s on these Jackrabbits, they're gonna think it's hunting season. But rabbits are always in season.

Five-and-oh, here we go! FIVE-AND-OH, HERE WE GO!!

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Riddle me this: if Shaka allegedly recruits well, why is Dylan Osetkowski the poster boy for all our social media?

He's a unicorn. How many guys in college are physical enough to own the paint, yet take thier game out to the three point line? His game is truly unique. 

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

D2B03ELWwAEcDEb.jpgD2B03VOXcAERuq2.jpg

Doesn't say anything in there against punching, biting, kicking in the balls, gang-beating a player, shooting, lopping off heads with large swords, or having sex on the floor during timeouts.

Maybe this will be pretty fun after all!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Texas will continue to jack up shit from beyond the arc, thus not being in danger of drawing fouls. 

On defense, Texas will continue to play with hands, not feet, and SDSU will outscore Texas from the FT line. 

Somebody will have to tell me how everything went down because I’ll be watching baseball. 

You should be prepared for a lot of threes for two reasons:

1) SDSU pushes tempo so there will likely be more possessions

2) SDSU's pedestrian-level defense is built around packing in the paint even at the expense of allowing open threes. There are 7 teams in all of D-I who allow a larger percentage of attempted threes than the Jackrabbits.

If Jase and/or Ramey are on tonight, they could crack 30. The question is if Texas allows Daum and/or Jenkins to do the same.

24 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

Bring back a Penders-style BMW offense again

NCAA19906.jpg

Blanks.... Mays..... Wright

Went to the Elite 8 game at Reunion Arena in 1990.... Freakin' Barnhill West.

Texas lost 88-85..... BMW 1989-90 is still my favorite 🏀 team that I ever saw play at Texas. 🤘

• Like 3

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Blanks.... Mays..... Wright

Went to the Elite 8 game at Reunion Arena in 1990.... Freakin' Barnhill West.

Texas lost 88-85..... BMW 1989-90 is still my favorite 🏀 team that I ever saw play at Texas. 🤘

I have a program from that season I had several of them sign when they came back to town after the loss. If I find it I'll tweet it out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

I have a program from that season I had several of them sign when they came back to town after the loss. If I find it I'll tweet it out.

That 2nd Rd victory over Gene Keady and Purdue was awesome..... P-A-N-A-M-A

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Riddle me this: if Shaka allegedly recruits well, why is Dylan Osetkowski the poster boy for all our social media?

Detest that picture. 

Maybe he's a great young man, hope he is. But he is not the face of a successful Texas bb team.

Those FIBA rules play right into Shaka's hands. Remember how impressed we all were when he duped USA basketball into thinking he was a coach and won that World under-something tournament?