NIT Round One: Texas vs. South Dakota State, ESPN, 8 PM

Machinator

27 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

You should be prepared for a lot of threes for two reasons:

1) SDSU pushes tempo so there will likely be more possessions

2) SDSU's pedestrian-level defense is built around packing in the paint even at the expense of allowing open threes. There are 7 teams in all of D-I who allow a larger percentage of attempted threes than the Jackrabbits.

If Jase and/or Ramey are on tonight, they could crack 30. The question is if Texas allows Daum and/or Jenkins to do the same.

Appreciate your feedback. However, if Texas shooters had been “on” with any consistency this season, we’d be discussing an NCAA berth and Shaka wouldn’t be a dead man walking. Sadly (or disgustingly based on point of view), I don’t see much reason for optimism. I think their time to fish or cut bait passed.

5 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

They really thought it (4 quarters) would pass 2 years ago.  I think it has a good chance this year, but I've been wrong before.  The men's side has been slow when it comes to rules progress of the game compared to women.  The women's rules/regulations are starting to mirror the NBA.  They men really want to go that way too, but they've got too many old school folks running the show who don't want to see it changed. 

I was explaining the basics of time periods for basketball to a 7 year-old boy who was confused. I'm not sure if I helped or exaggerated his confusion when I told him:

From when you start playing basketball at the YMCA at next year or the year after, all through middle school, freshman/JV/Varsity basketball in high school, and in the NBA, basketball is played with 4 quarters. For some reason, in college, and only in college, basketball is played with only 2 halves. I have no idea why, just remember that college has 2 halves and every other level of basketball that exists is played with 4 quarters.

QUESTION: Does anyone have a clue why college ever went to "2 halves"?

I went from attending 80% or more of our home games for more than 25 years to canceling my season tickets after Shaka's second season. I haven't been to a game in years. I'll be there tonight, row two across form the UT bench, using my incredible mentalist powers to convince Shaka that he really doesn't want to work here anymore. The entire goal is to have Shaka's inner monologue saying this to him by the end of the night.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We wouldn't win the NIT with Jaxson Hayes, and we certainly won't without him.

exactly. we weren't going to win 5 or whatever games it is in a row vs whoever they put in front of us even with Jaxson. I just want to be there tonight to see how our guys respond and how they come out play. I want to see it for myself, especially if it happens to be Shaka's farewell game at Texas.

28 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I went from attending 80% or more of our home games for more than 25 years to canceling my season tickets after Shaka's second season. I haven't been to a game in years. I'll be there tonight, row two across form the UT bench, using my incredible mentalist powers to convince Shaka that he really doesn't want to work here anymore. The entire goal is to have Shaka's inner monologue saying this to him by the end of the night.

So for the game tonight are you considering......

giphy.gif

I wonder if we had this many future pro players on the 86 Texas roster,

last time we made the NIT.  There’s two draft picks on this team, and then 2-3 d-league/europe players.  Understandable why we can barely match that legacy.  

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Now that's some burnt burnt orange. 

I assume you are talking about Penders face?

LK-TOM-PENDERS-1988.jpg

Looks like we are 8 point favorites, which makes the Jackrabbits +315 to win. I think the best bet might be SDSU team total over 73. They average 84 ppg, and you know they will come out a lot more fired up about this than Texas. If they go down, they will go down jacking up 3's

Edited by Blotto