Business travel to Saudi

jeevsie

Anyone been? Tips/tricks? Wacky local traditions I should be aware of?

Really, though, I've been to UAE plenty of times, Turkey and Kuwait once.  This will be a trip to Dammam, then over to UAE and back.  I know I need a Visa and that's being arranged.  I know I need to schedule it before Ramadan.  How is local transportation? Taxis no problems or do I need to arrange transportation through the client I'm visiting? It really will be a one day meeting so just one night hotel stay.

When you land there will be three customs lines.  One will be for middle easterners, and it will move fast.  One will be for white guys and it will take an hour or two.  And the third line will be for south Asians and it will look like they have been sitting there for days.  

I found the taxis to be fine.  Though the first thing my taxi driver said to me upon leaving the airport was "if you want to have any fun, it will have to be in Bahrain . . . no fun allowed here"

There is a popeyes in the airport.  

On 3/19/2019 at 12:10 PM, jeevsie said:

Anyone been? Tips/tricks? Wacky local traditions I should be aware of?

Really, though, I've been to UAE plenty of times, Turkey and Kuwait once.  This will be a trip to Dammam, then over to UAE and back.  I know I need a Visa and that's being arranged.  I know I need to schedule it before Ramadan.  How is local transportation? Taxis no problems or do I need to arrange transportation through the client I'm visiting? It really will be a one day meeting so just one night hotel stay.

It's mind numbing boring is the best info I have.

When are you there? I will be in Dubai in a couple weeks.

• 1 month later...

Back from a mostly uneventful business trip. Lots of good meetings and solid leads. Good mix of hotel food (easy), local upscale restaurants, and hole in the walls.

But, seriously, why didn't any of you jags tell me how hard the visa process is for Saudi?