2019 Seattle Mariners Thread

MC Fresh Breath

Well, its time for the new thread I think.   I still think 2018 went by too fast and I'm afraid I'm going to wake up tomorrow thinking that 2028 went by too fast and then poof its all over and boy does death terrify me.  But, if anything can make time seem to go a bit slower while simultaneously easing one's fear of the eternal nap, it will certainly be Seattle Mariners baseball this year.  

No more Safeco.  It is now T-Mobile field, which is disturbingly pink.  

I can't believe they un-ironically put #TrueToTheblue in there.

We'll start the year saying farewell to Ichiro, again.   And the first pitcher to start the season not named Felix Hernandez since well, forever. 

As usual, this will be the 3 of us M's fans and Spy, going through the muck.  Welp, beats dying. Go baseball!

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 1

And we start with some relief pitching news:

TOKYO -- An already thin Mariners bullpen has taken another hit as right-hander Shawn Armstrong, who was expected to be one of manager Scott Servais’ late-inning setup men, injured an oblique muscle in his right side and will be placed on the 10-day injured list to open the season.

Cool.

I watched a few minutes this morning, and I can't say I knew a lot of players.  I still think of Vogelbach as a September call up, except now he's starting on opening day.  Dee Gordon is skinny as hell.

Ichiro got a lot of attention, which is nice.

End of an era.

In Japan, Ichiro retires where career began

TOKYO -- Ichiro Suzuki has left the game.

The 45-year-old Seattle Mariners star announced his retirement Thursday night, shortly after waving goodbye at the Tokyo Dome during a 5-4 win over Oakland in 12 innings. Ichiro went 0-for-4 and was pulled from right field in the eighth, saluting his adoring fans in the packed crowd. He drew hugs -- some of them tearful -- from teammates in a three-minute walk that signaled to all his great career had ended.

The outfielder said in a statement after the game that he had "achieved so many of my dreams in baseball, both in my career in Japan and, since 2001, in Major League Baseball."

He added that he was "honored to end my big league career where it started, with Seattle, and think it is fitting that my last games as a professional were played in my home country of Japan."

Ichiro was a 10-time All-Star in the majors. He got 3,089 hits over a 19-year career in the big leagues after getting 1,278 while starring in Japan. His combined total of 4,367 is a professional record.

After the Mariners took the field in the bottom of the eighth inning, all the players except Suzuki left for the dugout. Ichiro then waved to the crowd before leaving his right field position for defensive replacement Braden Bishop, who was making his major league debut. He received a standing ovation from the crowd and hugs from his Seattle teammates.

Ichiro was 0-4, with one strikeout. In his final at-bat he grounded out to short.

After the game, which Seattle won 5-4 in 12 innings, Ichiro received more handshakes and hugs from teammates.

Many expected Ichiro to retire after the Japan series or when the Mariners returned home for two spring training games with the San Diego Padres before the regular season resumes against the Boston Red Sox.

Japanese fans had been hoping it would not be the end of his career, but they knew it was likely. In Japan, they also thought that when Ichiro played here in 2012 with the Mariners -- also against the Athletics -- and had four hits in one game.

"Seven years ago, it appeared he had played for the last time in Japan," Fumihiro Fujisawa, head of the Japanese Association of Baseball Research, told the Associated Press. "I don't think anybody believed he would be active now."

r516284_576x324_16-9.jpg

When Ichiro played Wednesday, the 45-year-old entered his 19th MLB season after first playing nine seasons with the Orix BlueWave in the Japanese leagues.
Career line: .311/.355/.402, 509 stolen bases (tied for 35th all time), 117 home runs, 59.3 WAR
Hits: 3,089 in MLB (23rd all time), 1,278 in Japan; his combined total of 4,367 is a world professional record
MLB awards: 2001 AL MVP and Rookie of the Year; 10-time All-Star, 10-time Gold Glove winner
MLB debut: April 2, 2001
Leading current Japanese stars' ages when Ichiro debuted: Yu Darvish 14, Masahiro Tanaka 12, Yusei Kikuchi 9, Shohei Ohtani 6

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26321505/in-japan-ichiro-retires-where-career-began

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Dusty.... A great Ambassador of the game. A true gamer. Loved watching him play at Safeco and how prepared he was for every at bat and game he played. Obviously a great hitter, but I think I loved his arm the best. I don't think I'll ever forget his throw early in the season (4-11-01) against the A's when Terrance Long tested him,....  Rifleman.

Next stop, Cooperstown.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

For me, the scariest part is relying on prospects to pan out when as far back as I can remember, prospects for the M's NEVER pan out.

Well, yeah, that's kind of the rub.  Can the organization not only trade well (and not sure all of these trades were great), but can they develop the prospects they acquired.

Guess we'll see one way or the other.  It is interesting to see how the shareholder buy in worked. 

However, I also don't like the "we think the Astros might suck by then" mentality either.  As if the Astros or other organizations are standing pat and not re-stocking.