2019 Seattle Mariners Thread

MC Fresh Breath

Someone give me the cliff notes on how y’all went from the best team in the first 15 games to the worst in the last 45. I’m not pouring salt in the wound. I just don’t follow close enough to know.

It is the first year of a rebuilding plan. They were never supposed to have the hot start they did.

Dipoto, our GM, has said repeatedly his target for being competitive is 2021. The only people making a big deal of “first to worst” are either people who either just don’t follow, or writers who like clickbait .

On 6/1/2019 at 8:19 PM, TonyTexas said:

Someone give me the cliff notes on how y’all went from the best team in the first 15 games to the worst in the last 45. I’m not pouring salt in the wound. I just don’t follow close enough to know.

Yesterday was the 10th time in the last 32 games that the Mariners allowed 10+ runs.

Lacerated spleen from a HBP? That’s a new one. 

The Mariners have placed outfielder Braden Bishop on the 10-day injured list due to a lacerated spleen.  Taking Bishop’s spot on the 25-man roster is Mac Williamson, who signed a minor league contract with the Mariners just today and will immediately have that contract selected.

Williamson’s stint on the open market didn’t last long, as he only elected to become a free agent on June 1 after clearing waivers following his second designation for assignment of the season from the Giants.  Once an intriguing prospect who posted strong numbers in San Francisco’s farm system, Williamson has yet to turn that promise into results at the Major League level.  Williamson has a .207/.283/.359 slash line over 396 plate appearances, spread over parts of the last five seasons for the Giants.

A change of scenery seemed in order for the 28-year-old, and he’ll now get another big league opportunity in Seattle.  He’ll provide backup in both corner outfield spots for the Mariners, and he is currently the only backup outfielder on the M’s roster (behind regulars Mitch Haniger, Mallex Smith, and Domingo Santana).  Williamson is out of options, and his long-term chances of sticking with Seattle could be limited given that Dee Gordon and Ryon Healy are both slated to begin rehab assignments as they work their way back from the IL.

Bishop has appeared for 10 games in his rookie season, with just two hits to show for 24 plate appearances.  Bishop was only just promoted back up to the MLB roster on Sunday, though he told reporters (including Root Sports’ Jen Mueller) that he was hit in the ribs with a pitch while in the minors last week, which could have led to the spleen injury.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:43 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Ha.  I just said out loud to myself, "Shed, what have you done lately?"  First MLB bomb on the next pitch.

And gone. 

The Mariners announced Friday that they have reinstated infielder J.P. Crawford (left ankle sprain) from the 10-day injured list while optioning fellow infielder Shed Long to Triple-A Tacoma.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...