2019 MLB thread

spystud13

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yep
that was my post the other day.
As a giants fan, July would be exhilarating...and I’d also be pissed my team is having its hottest stretch of the season right before the deadline.

Zaidi isn’t stupid. He isn’t going to push all of his chips in for 2019.
I see a little similarity between 2019 Giants and 2015 Astros, where both are playing well above their heads earlier than expected (although the 2015 Astros had visions of winning their division (they didn’t) and were well ahead in their rebuild compared to the 2019 Giants), but here are the trades Luhnow made at 2015 deadline.

I think it would be awesome for the Giants to play just well enough to stay in it past the deadline, and thereby keep there woeful farm system perpetually woeful by not being abel to replenish it with quality prospects.  

I think I mentioned once that Luhnow was in the class ahead of me in HS. Knew him casually (it was a small school)./csb.

59 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yep
that was my post the other day.
As a giants fan, July would be exhilarating...and I’d also be pissed my team is having its hottest stretch of the season right before the deadline.

Zaidi isn’t stupid. He isn’t going to push all of his chips in for 2019.
I see a little similarity between 2019 Giants and 2015 Astros, where both are playing well above their heads earlier than expected (although the 2015 Astros had visions of winning their division (they didn’t) and were well ahead in their rebuild compared to the 2019 Giants), but here are the trades Luhnow made at 2015 deadline.
Oops

a8333899e76571bf835eef389c8c9f5b.jpg

The funny thing is the Mets had a deal lined up first for Gomez (for crying Wilmer Flores and Zack Wheeler) that fell through over a physical (which in hindsight is hilarious that the Mets of all teams nixed a deal over medical issues). Houston probably stands pat at that point if Gomez is gone.

The Mets ended up getting Cespedes a few days later for Michael Fulmer and Luis Cessa.

Pretty excited for the $100 mil upgrades planned for Dodger Stadium over the offseason.  Much more pre/post game area to hang out, new bars/restaurants, and most importantly, connectivity to all areas via bridges and escalators.  Guggenheim is doing a really good job of maintaining the classic feel of Dodger Stadium while bringing amenities and experience into the 21st century.  Wrigley was cool, but it felt like an old stadium.  Never been to Fenway, but my understanding is it is similar to Wrigley in its antiquated feel.

https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/ballpark/stadium-upgrades?partnerId=ed-14181681-1156195973

Guggenheim is doing a really good job of maintaining the classic feel of Dodger Stadium while bringing amenities and experience into the 21st century.  Wrigley was cool, but it felt like an old stadium.  Never been to Fenway, but my understanding is it is similar to Wrigley in its antiquated feel.
https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/ballpark/stadium-upgrades?partnerId=ed-14181681-1156195973

Well. Yeah. Fenway and Wrigley are 50 years older than Dodger Stadium. Guess what Dodger Stadium is going to feel like if it sticks around for another 50 years, even with the $100M facelift?

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Well. Yeah. Fenway and Wrigley are 50 years older than Dodger Stadium. Guess what Dodger Stadium is going to feel like if it sticks around for another 50 years, even with the $100M facelift?

It's going to feel awesome.  Like it does every time I walk in there.  Best stadium in baseball in my most humble opinion.

6 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

So the Giants have played themselves out of selling right? I don’t think they’re actually good, but they’re only 2 back of a playoff spot 

Lifelong Giants fan here, so I'll give my perspective. I'd like to keep Bumgarner and maybe ship off a reliever (Watson) to address something like infield help. 

The thing about the Giants is that the WS teams never looked good on paper. That's why it's no surprise Derka says they wouldn't compete against the Yankees, Astros, etc. that are far more talented. But guys like Aubrey Huff, Cody Ross, Travis Ishikawa and Marco Scutaro were the reasons the team hung 3 banners in 5 years. Not exactly household or marquee names. 

Giants teams have always relied on solid rotation, good bullpen and timely hitting from guys that rise up at the right moments. Zaidi seems to have found one of those Huff, Ross, Scutaro types in Alex Dickerson. He's not exactly a journeyman, but he was written off by the Padres and has found new life with the Giants. The other core guys from past WS teams that have either battled injuries or slumps are all showing glimpses of returning to their former selves albeit older. Posey, Belt, Crawford and Panik are seasoned guys when it comes to October baseball, so it would be interesting to see how they step up if given a chance in the playoffs. 

The other thing no one has talked about is the return of Cueto. He's facing live batters now and is on track to return in September. Bum - Cueto as a 1-2 could make things interesting from a top of the rotation perspective especially combined with the Giants' deep, quality relief staff. A lot of the elements that were there in '10, '12, '14 and even '16 (eliminated by the eventual WS Champion Cubs) are there again with this '19 team. 

Of course, they can't keep winning at this pace (17-3 in last 20 games). They can only hope this type of baseball and mentality will continue, and maybe it will be enough to earn them a WC berth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

maybe you can win the WS this year. 

Well, this is the best of the teams we've had over the last few years.  So if it's going to happen, this is the year.  I'm sure we will make a bullpen move, which is really our only weakness, but come October, we'll move a couple of starters to the pen to shore it up.  Baseball is fickle when it comes to the playoffs, but this looks like the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Well, this is the best of the teams we've had over the last few years.  So if it's going to happen, this is the year.  I'm sure we will make a bullpen move, which is really our only weakness, but come October, we'll move a couple of starters to the pen to shore it up.  Baseball is fickle when it comes to the playoffs, but this looks like the year.

I think you are right. Dodgers vs. Astros. 

Won't be the Sox and I pray it is not the Yankees.

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I think the Dodgers and Yanks finally meet again in the World Series this year for the first time in 38 years. The Dodgers are just amazing and I wish I could watch them play more. I want to take a vacation to SoCal during the time they play the Yanks in August, but it does not look good on that right now.

I fully expect the Yanks to add Stroman to the rotation and maybe a long reliever who is better than Nestor Cortes. They use Cortes in those bullpen games, but he is not someone that I think helps you win in the post-season. The Yanks have the best lineup of hitters in all of baseball when they all are healthy, but they need another starter to solidify being the favorite in the AL. I think Stroman pitching for his hometown team would be tremendous and he has done everything short of saying trade me the hell out of this place and back to New York. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

It's going to feel awesome.  Like it does every time I walk in there.  Best stadium in baseball in my most humble opinion.

I made my first trip there a few weeks ago. As a Giants fan, I wanted to hate it. But inside the park, the view and the history was great. 

If the improvements include better entrances, as it appears they do, it will be a great modification. Getting in that place was a pain in the ass. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

3-hole. 

Good goddamn, the Yanks are fucking hot right now. 

It's still been an eye opening few games. The Twins have always been the Yankees' bottom bitch in October, but this Twins team is different. They can really mash it. They would not be fun to play in a postseason series.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Someone tell the Red Sox that they only gain 1 game in the standings regardless of if they win by 1 run or 20. 

Sick rotation you've put together btw, Cashman. 

I think he knows he has to add a starter and a reliever. I would leave Happ off the post-season roster completely. I think Stroman makes the most sense to acquire. Highly motivated guy who wants to wear the Pinstripes and represent his hometown. The Severino injury has sucked, but it happens. The staff ace has not thrown a single pitch and they are on pace to win 105 games or so. Think about how ludicrous it is that they are still winning games at this rate.

Winning 2/3 of your games with nothing from Stanton, less than 50 games from Judge and no Andujar is a fairly impressive feat thus far.  

Edited by UpperWestside

I do not think it is a stretch to day that Wilkerson's save is the most improbable occurence so far this season. The speed limit in most of New York is 55 and he didn't even hit that on the radar gun. He now gets to say for the rest of his life that he got a first ballot Hall of Famer out. Stuff like that is why baseball is such a fun sport.