2019 MLB thread

spystud13

23 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You don’t understand, he’s a fairly reserved guy. Except when he’s beating on the dugout roof with his bat or throwing his helmet so hard it bounces back and splits his lip. Besides those incidents and also some others, he’s pretty reserved. 

giphy.gif

gardner-3077b742258c69e846b6516655f8e807

tenor.gif

Orioles-Yankees-Bas.jpg

Brett+Gardner+Boston+Red+Sox+v+New+York+

He is still a fairly reserved guy overall. I can find instances of most players losing their shit at some point in a season. He is front and center because he plays for the Yankees. If he played for any other team in MLB no one would care. If I played a season as long as a baseball player does I'd probably destroy several dozen bats. His war on the dugout was pretty damn funny though. He really went apeshit for about 30 seconds.

He's easily the most fan friendly guy on the team. My mother is a lifelong fan of the Yanks going back to Mantle, but she loves watching Gardy so he's cool with me. Watching him and the rest of the team does wonders for her. She kicked cancer's ass once before 5 years ago and now she's taking on leukemia currently. The one thing she talks about most about besides her first grandchild, courtesy of my brother and his girlfriend this year, is the Yankees. My mother is a tough SOB who played fastpitch softball until she was 40. I love seeing Gardner do his thing and he makes my mom happy. If he played for anyone but the Yanks he'd be really well liked.

Edited by UpperWestside

25 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

there's something wrong with you.

I'am not a professional athlete and I'd strike out every single time up just like you would. You think you'd handle getting your ass handed to you every at-bat with grace? I'd imagine you'd break some bats too if you Charlie Brown'd every pitch like everyone on this board would. Being a hitter in the majors is ridiculously tough and when an umpire screws things up for you it makes it that much harder.

I am honestly surprised these guys do not mentally break more often as much as they fail. Only in baseball can you succeed 30 percent of the time and be called great. 

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I'am not a professional athlete and I'd strike out every single time up just like you would. You think you'd handle getting your ass handed to you every at-bat with grace? I'd imagine you'd break some bats too if you Charlie Brown'd every pitch like everyone on this board would. Being a hitter in the majors is ridiculously tough and when an umpire screws things up for you it makes it that much harder.

I am honestly surprised these guys do not mentally break more often as much as they fail. Only in baseball can you succeed 30 percent of the time and be called great. 

So in this hypothetical, Ive got my current abilities but they somehow let me stay up all season and draw an MLB salary? I’d absolutely handle that with grace-that’s the opposite of frustrating. I’d probably just swing aimlessly at the first 3 pitches and go back to relax in the dugout.

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

So in this hypothetical, Ive got my current abilities but they somehow let me stay up all season and draw an MLB salary? I’d absolutely handle that with grace-that’s the opposite of frustrating. I’d probably just swing aimlessly at the first 3 pitches and go back to relax in the dugout.

And that is why you are not a professional athlete.

Chris Davis has gotten his ass handed to him once again this year. He could just take his 21 million and say nothing. Instead he lost his shit on his manager and damn near had a fist fight if not for teammates stopping it. 

We can all say all kinds of wonderful hypotheticals when we are just typing a message on a website, but if we are the guy getting embarrassed, like Davis day af6er day, we'd eventually break. Gardner lost his shit and by baseball player standards it's normal. They play 162 games. That is a ridiculous number of games. 

21 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

well that's a revealing post.  first, don't think you know everyone on this board would strike out or fail as often as you would.  there are plenty of professionals who consider 30% a good rate of success and can be great at what they do professionally at that clip.  think sales... trading... whatever you're doing, when you fail you handle it with grace.  especially if you're being paid to do it. 

how old are you?

20 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

there are plenty of professionals who consider 30% 

Yeah that's exactly why I said succeeding 30 percent of the time is only considered successful in baseball. It can get you to Cooperstown. Nowhere else can you fail 70 percent of the time and retain your job. 

You would not get a hit off of a single major league pitcher. If your hubris honestly lets you believe you would then find the number for an area scout and try and secure a tryout. Baseball was my best sport, but I am not dumb enough to think I could face a major league pitcher and succeed. I'd love to believe I could hit one 450 feet off Verlander, but that's just dumb. 

Edited by UpperWestside

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

What Tom Tango is working on now is even cooler than what he usually does:

EBpH05xW4AInoND?format=jpg&name=medium

EBpIpS0W4AA5SR6?format=jpg&name=medium

The middle 2 charts are easy to grasp. The outer 2 seem made up/stupid, because I don’t understand them. Is it saying Morton gives up 15 less runs than the average pitcher on pitches in the heart of the plate? It’s clear hitters swing less often when he pitches there compared to the average pitcher. But I just never understand where they get actual run values come from.

9 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Yeah that's exactly why I said succeeding 30 percent of the time is only considered successful in baseball. It can get you to Cooperstown. Nowhere else can you fail 70 percent of the time and retain your job.

i literally listed two professions in the next sentence.

You would not get a hit off of a single major league pitcher. If your hubris honestly let's you believe you would then find the number for an area scout and try and secure a tryout. Baseball was my best sport, but I am not dumb enough to think I could face a major league pitcher and succeed. I'd love to believe I could hit one 450 feet off Verlander, but that's just dumb. 

i know plenty of people-  myself included-  who have hit off pitchers who made it the minors/majors.  i'm not talking about middle school or high school either. obviously not in a major league setting and i don't know why it's germane to your point, but since you feel compelled to bring it up again there you have it. 

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The middle 2 charts are easy to grasp. The outer 2 seem made up/stupid, because I don’t understand them. Is it saying Morton gives up 15 less runs than the average pitcher on pitches in the heart of the plate? It’s clear hitters swing less often when he pitches there compared to the average pitcher. But I just never understand where they get actual run values come from.

the last chart on the right, what's going on there?  how does your "runs" go up +11 on a take? 

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i literally listed two professions in the next sentence.

i know plenty of people-  myself included-  who have hit off pitchers who made it the minors/majors.  i'm not talking about middle school or high school either. obviously not in a major league setting and i don't know why it's germane to your point, but since you feel compelled to bring it up again there you have it. 

Feel free to contact an area scout and let them know of your prowess. If you are going to say you can do it then just do it.

Edited by UpperWestside

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

No one who makes outs 70% of the time makes it to Cooperstown.

He is still a fairly reserved guy overall. I can find instances of most players losing their shit at some point in a season. He is front and center because he plays for the Yankees. If he played for any other team in MLB no one would care. If I played a season as long as a baseball player does I'd probably destroy several dozen bats. His war on the dugout was pretty damn funny though. He really went apeshit for about 30 seconds.

He's easily the most fan friendly guy on the team. My mother is a lifelong fan of the Yanks going back to Mantle, but she loves watching Gardy so he's cool with me. Watching him and the rest of the team does wonders for her. She kicked cancer's ass once before 5 years ago and now she's taking on leukemia currently. The one thing she talks about most about besides her first grandchild, courtesy of my brother and his girlfriend this year, is the Yankees. My mother is a tough SOB who played fastpitch softball until she was 40. I love seeing Gardner do his thing and he makes my mom happy. If he played for anyone but the Yanks he'd be really well liked.

No one gives a fuck*

*about Gardner....good luck to your mom

If any Rockies fans or other frequent Coors Field visitors could tell me here or PM any recs about the place or seating.  Thinking either high up near home plate or right behind the bullpens. 

Also, do Boston fans ruin games there as well?  The bos series would be easiest but we could do the braves makeup game that precedes it or the pirates game that follows. 

2 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Except it’s on March 26 so expect snow in Chicago, Cleveland, Cincy, etc.

And that's fine.  I just think it's idiotic that teams haven't been playing on opening day.  Since it's at the end of March, when it's already a fun time to be in Vegas, it'll be even more fun in Vegas.  

Edited by Trey3216

23 hours ago, Helobious said:

The O's finally intentionally walked Gleyber when they were already down 5 runs. I've never seen a team just have absolutely no answer for 1 player like that. He's hit 13 of his 26 homers this year off Baltimore. 

Gary Thorne might need Gleyber's name on his headstone for all the pain he has caused him. It is absolutely incredible what he has done to just them this year.