2019 MLB thread

spystud13

Might the O's be headed to Nashville?  Wild speculation here, but it makes sense. Nashville is booming.

The Baltimore Orioles Might Be For Sale. Are They A Flight Risk To Nashville? NationalEconomic Development August 13, 2019

The Baltimore Orioles are one of the oldest institutions in professional sports, operating as a Major League Baseball franchise off and on since the 19th century. But the club's future in Charm City is in question for the first time since it returned to the American League in 1954. KA Sports Photos Adam Jones of the Baltimore Orioles celebrates with teammates after hitting a walk-off home run against the Minnesota Twins during the 11th inning in the opening day game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in 2018 in Baltimore. The Orioles currently play at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Downtown Baltimore, where the team's lease ends in 2021. The sons of principal owner Peter Angelos, who at 90 is in poor health, are mulling the future of the franchise and are leaning toward a sale of the team, the Baltimore Post-Examiner reports, citing anonymous sources. Another possibility, according to the Post-Examiner, is that John Angelos, one of Peter's sons, would move the club to Nashville, where he and his wife Georgia have a home. If the family finds a buyer, it's no guarantee that entity would hope to keep the team in Baltimore, either — major sports teams rarely hit the market, especially ones with as flexible of a stadium future. In the MLB, only the San Diego Padres, Miami Marlins, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros and Seattle Mariners have sold in the last decade. Nashville currently doesn't have a MLB team, but it does have a large facility: Nissan Stadium, which seats more than 69,000 and is currently home to the NFL Tennessee Titans (the Orioles' current home has a capacity of nearly 46,000). Such a move would leave Camden Yards in Baltimore, which opened in 1992 as a pioneering example of a retro-style ballpark, bereft of a tenant. The stadium is part of the larger Camden Yards Sports Complex, which also includes M&T Bank Stadium, home of the NFL's Baltimore Ravens, as well as two sports-oriented museums.  Not everyone is persuaded that the Orioles are likely to move, however, even if the Angelos family decides to sell. While it is true that the Orioles' lease expires soon, no club can relocate out of its local market without an involved process that hasn't even been started, according to Forbes' Maury Brown. Namely, a move requires a request for proposal-type process that, when completed, would be subject to a vote of the other owners in the MLB, where it would need a three-quarters majority to be approved. MLB moves have been rare over the last 50 years compared to other major sports leagues, with only three since 1970, most recently when the Montreal Expos moved to Washington, D.C., in 2005. By contrast, 12 NBA teams and 10 NFL teams have moved in the last 50 years (including the NFL's Oakland Raiders, who plan to decamp for Las Vegas next year). Peter Angelos bought the Orioles in 1993 for $173M. Currently, according to Forbes, its value would be about $1.3B, despite the team's abysmal recent performance on the field and at the box office. They have the second-worst record in baseball this year, and the third-lowest attendance, according to ESPN. Nashville, in addition to the Angelos connection, was named by MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred as a candidate for an expansion franchise, and a Nashville businessman is pushing to form a coalition to lure an MLB team to the city, the Nashville Business Journal reported.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/economic-development/baltimore-orioles-to-slip-away-to-nashville-100342?utm_source=outbound_pub_6&utm_campaign=outbound_issue_31327&utm_content=outbound_link_6&utm_medium=email?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yankees won their 16th straight game against Baltimore today. Overall, NY went 17-2 in the 19 games they played against the Os this year. 

And are the first one to guarantee a non-losing record at 81 wins.  But not for long.  Dodgers score 3 in the top of the 1st on 2 bombs.  Kershaw strikes out the side in the bottom of the first.

Edited by Sbbruin

Wait... The Giants haven’t had a guy reach 20 HRs in a season since Crawford hit 21 in 2015..... and may not have anyone reach 20 this year either?
How is that possible in this day and age?!

That may be on par with that year the Astros entire team barely out-homered Dave Kingham back in the day

This was kind of fascinating:

The fascinating part was not that the correct answer is C -- http://tangotiger.com/index.php/site/comments/batting-average-begone-quint-mattingly-v-quint-strawberry, but rather that so many people in the comments apparently didn't know how SLG is calculated -- many of them thought singles weren't included, which is still better than what Harold Reynolds thinks.  

Edited by Beau Vine
Fucking software keeps turning C: into an emoji.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

OK, Harold.

Singles, with men on base, can be more productive than walks. But with obp and slugging the same, those hitters aren’t just replacing walks and singles. 

I’d go with insufficient data, but I guess the closest thing is too close to call based on just those 3 data points. 

Since the SLG is the same, I’ll assume each player amassed the same number of total bases. Since Player A had more hits (avg is higher), you can assume that they hit for less power than Player B, whether it be more singles or less XBH. Thus, Player B achieved the same number of TB with less hits while also making the same number of outs as Player A (equal OBP).

I would probably take Player B who is likely to do more damage per AB than Player A.

50 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Since the SLG is the same, I’ll assume each player amassed the same number of total bases.

Not necessarily.  If the number of plate appearances is the same, B will have fewer ABs because he has more walks (and/or HBP), so he'd also have fewer total bases.  

Since Player A had more hits (avg is higher), you can assume that they hit for less power than Player B, whether it be more singles or less XBH. Thus, Player B achieved the same number of TB with less hits while also making the same number of outs as Player A (equal OBP).

Long-ass way to say "B's ISO is higher."

• Like 1

For the Tango question, isn't this why OPS was created/tracked?  It's supposed to give a good holistic look and two players with the same OPS (even moreso when the two components are the same) should be about equally valuable?

In the specific example given, the lower batting average guy is not making any more outs (same OB%) but is trading some singles for walks and some singles for extra base hits.  With runners on base, walk < single < extra base hit.  Easy to say after I already read the post but I would have guessed C.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Not even the most surprising of the week.  Have you already forgotten the Orioles beating Verlander?

That was a team embarrassed to lose by 21 runs. That did not shock me. The Marlins can go a week without scoring 13 the entire time. 

Edited by UpperWestside

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Not even the most surprising of the week.  Have you already forgotten the Orioles beating Verlander?

I haven't, and neither has my bookie. i had an outstanding week of betting and then put all of it on the Stros. Should have done it one day earlier. 

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

That was a team embarrassed to lose by 21 runs. That did not shock me. 

Justin Verlander and this Astros offense > Baltimore's embarrassment. Usually anyway. I'm sure Tim Kurkjian was off somewhere jizzing in his pants at that result BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT MAKES BASEBALL SO GREAT!!

Edited by Goo Punch