2019 MLB thread

spystud13

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Ugh. I wish that September games were more meaningful for the contenders. Seeing who beats down more Quad A teams down the stretch to get homefield just doesn't seem like as much fun. 

The problem is there are so many "Quad A" teams. Plus there are only 2 real division races, AL and NL Central. MLB has done what they can, schedule-wise, by going heavy on intra-divisional games in September. The league is just extremely top heavy right now

The problem is there are so many "Quad A" teams. Plus there are only 2 real division races, AL and NL Central. MLB has done what they can, schedule-wise, by going heavy on intra-divisional games in September. The league is just extremely top heavy right now

I started to post something similar... it’s impossible not to have this when 4 teams the AL have a winning percentage in the “threes” (for reference a .400 winning percentage means you have 97 losses on the season).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I started to post something similar... it’s impossible not to have this when 4 teams the AL have a winning percentage in the “threes” (for reference a .400 winning percentage means you have 97 losses on the season).

Good post -- the league has competitive balance problems when there are a lot of 3's and 6's starting winning percentage totals.  Right now there are 7 of those in the AL and 3 in the NL.  Last year (I think) was the all-time record with 8 total (including Balt, which was actually .290).  Back in 1994, when Bud Selig and his cronies were lying their asses off about "20 teams having no chance to make the playoffs" there were only 2 teams with .600+ and no teams below .400.  

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Monday afternoon baseball ftw. 85 in Denver.

5b168044636f1428a8144e7a1b146853.jpg

Kid already caught a ball from the pitching coach in the bullpen, and got it signed by a Rockies player. He is very excited. Hoping for more when they head out to warm up.

I saw a game here last April when visiting my cousins. So jealous of a ballpark right in the middle of downtown. Have no idea what that is like being a Rangers fan. Was a very cool ballpark to visit and great weather.

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Good post -- the league has competitive balance problems when there are a lot of 3's and 6's starting winning percentage totals.  Right now there are 7 of those in the AL and 3 in the NL.  Last year (I think) was the all-time record with 8 total (including Balt, which was actually .290).  Back in 1994, when Bud Selig and his cronies were lying their asses off about "20 teams having no chance to make the playoffs" there were only 2 teams with .600+ and no teams below .400.  

What it says, and this could be overly simplistic, is that more teams are openly tanking and throwing several years down the drain to try and get higher draft picks. That is a bad look for MLB.

That bothers me as a fan because the casual fan will just stop coming and baseball cannot afford to continue to see a big drop in attendance. Manfred and co have got to do a far better job appealing to a younger generation. I do not think there are any easy answers right now though to that issue. 

Edited by UpperWestside

jeff passan has been on the ESPN broadcast tonight making a passionate argument that "Yadier Molina is not a slam dunk HOFer", and that "the numbers don't back up him being in the HOF." what a stupid fucking take. i'm a Cubs fan, and even I will rush to the defense of Yadi on this one. as if the argument isn't stupid enough on its face, his entire premise being based around his contention that "offense is a part of the game and his numbers are lacking" is so fucking weak that i found myself for the first time EVER in total agreement with Rick Sutcliffe, who was basically like, "Jesus fucking Christ why is this guy on our air right now."

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

jeff passan has been on the ESPN broadcast tonight making a passionate argument that "Yadier Molina is not a slam dunk HOFer", and that "the numbers don't back up him being in the HOF." what a stupid fucking take. i'm a Cubs fan, and even I will rush to the defense of Yadi on this one. as if the argument isn't stupid enough on its face, his entire premise being based around his contention that "offense is a part of the game and his numbers are lacking" is so fucking weak that i found myself for the first time EVER in total agreement with Rick Sutcliffe, who was basically like, "Jesus fucking Christ why is this guy on our air right now."

I'd agree with Passan.  Yadi has been a below-average offensive player over the entirety of his career and until tonight, he has been a black hole offensively this season, so it's not like it's going to get better.  A "slam dunk HOFer" position player can't be below average as a hitter.  

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'd agree with Passan.  Yadi has been a below-average offensive player over the entirety of his career and until tonight, he has been a black hole offensively this season, so it's not like it's going to get better.  A "slam dunk HOFer" position player can't be below average as a hitter.  

Don't overthink this. Yadi is a slam dunk HOFer, especially now that the bar has been set at Harold Baines.

also, i shit you not, Jeff Passan just did his Elmo impression for like a minute straight on air.

Edited by Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Clint Hurdle seems to have completely quit giving a shit.  

Yet Bryce just bailed him out by whiffing for out 3 with the bases loaded.  

you can't expect a guy who's only going to make $30M this year to hit a 95 mph 4 seamer that's middle/middle. 

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Don't overthink this. Yadi is a slam dunk HOFer, especially now that the bar has been set at Harold Baines.

also, i shit you not, Jeff Passan just did his Elmo impression for like a minute straight on air.

You are using a player from an entirely different era as a comparison when saying he is a slam dunk. That is not adding to Molina's argument.  

Edited by UpperWestside

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Yadi will be in the HOF.  

He's not a "slam dunk HOFer," which I'll interpret as first ballot.  Otherwise Vizquel would have gotten more than 37% last year.  

fair enough. my interpretation of it was that "slam dunk HOFer" means a guy who you *know* will make it, and probably in only a few tries. there's no doubt that his bat isn't HOF worthy, but he's a cornerstone member of multiple championship teams, and his tenure in STL has been defined by the Cards' ability to always have great pitching, something which they by and large attribute to Yadi. If closers and DH's (and Harold Baines) are going to be making the HOF then there's really no doubt that a catcher (not like we're talking about 1B here) who's had the impact that Yadi has had is deserving as well. 

I don't feel like going back over the numbers is what would convince that he should get in; you either think he's a HOFer based on what you've seen from him or you don't. For me, at his position, with its historical lack of offensive prowess, if you buy in to what he's supposedly done for the Cardinals' pitching staff/organization over 13 years including two titles (and i do), then the lack of eye popping offensive numbers doesn't dissuade me.

Edited by Goo Punch

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

fair enough. my interpretation of it was that "slam dunk HOFer" means a guy who you *know* will make it, and probably in only a few tries. there's no doubt that his bat isn't HOF worthy, but he's a cornerstone member of multiple championship teams, and his tenure in STL has been defined by the Cards' ability to always have great pitching, something which they by and large attribute to Yadi.

I thought they attributed that to Dave Duncan.  

And the championships have been attributed to the genius managerial abilities of Sir Anthony LaRussa, a god among men.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I don’t understand hall of fame voters.  When Lance Berkman gets less than 5 percent of the vote.  His career OPS+ is 14 points higher than Ichiro’s best season.  Yet every dumbass voter thinks Ichiro is a first ballot guy and was a better offensive player than Lance.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I think it is likely that the Astros will finish 2019 with a higher team wRC+ as a team (currently 123) than Javy Baez's final wRC+ for the season (currently 112).  Isn't that funny.

Dont tell Derka.  But yes.  HOW ABOUT THAT

27 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Pretty big 3 game set in Queens tonight with the Cubs in NY to play the Mets. Both teams were swept over the weekend.

See our old friend Yu Darvish is on the mound tonight for the Cubbies.  Yu's gonna make what like $42M total for the 2018 and 2019 seasons?  In that time he'll likely put up maybe 2 WAR for a smooth $21M/WAR over what should have been the most team friendly portion of his contract...and people say free agency is broken.

Edited by Fozzz

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Last thing about the Rockies game:  Charlie Blackmon’s walk up music is the first part of The Outfield’s Your Love. Cuts off for the crowd to sing toniiiight. 

My daughter decided he was her favorite Rockie solely because of that and bought a Blackmon shirsey.

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

See our old friend Yu Darvish is on the mound tonight for the Cubbies.  Yu's gonna make what like $42M total for the 2018 and 2019 seasons?  In that time he'll likely put up maybe 2 WAR for a smooth $21M/WAR over what should have been the most team friendly portion of his contract...and people say free agency is broken.

just looked and he's leading the league in HRs.  i would have guess just injuries would be his undoing, not plain old garbage.

5 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Well, he shoved tonight and has been awesome in the 2nd half. 

8 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Well, he shoved tonight and has been awesome in the 2nd half. 

He has been playing well, but the amount of value he’s accumulated over the first third of his contract will be far short of what the Cubs anticipated when they acquired him. It’s not like he just turned 30 and has been a workhorse in past seasons.  

AA pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays found out today that his wife, son, and mother in law were murdered. Police arrested his brother in law for the murders after he ran around their property naked. This has got to be one of the most horrific sports stories I've read in a long time.

6 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

AA pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays found out today that his wife, son, and mother in law were murdered. Police arrested his brother in law for the murders after he ran around their property naked. This has got to be one of the most horrific sports stories I've read in a long time.

Montgomery(AL) Biscuits player.  Games between Montgomery and Chattanooga Lookouts today were canceled.  It's being reported that their dog was killed as well.

Edited by retsevlys

Holy hell.  Brother in law comes running out of the woods when the media is set up reporting on the murders.  You can watch his naked arrest.

https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-news/manhunt-underway-for-armed-very-dangerous-19-year-old-wanted-for-killing-3-people-in-pittsylvania-county/

Dude chock full of bath salts or some shit.

51 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/19/13688168/texas-kansas-final-score-recap-2016

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Holy hell.  Brother in law comes running out of the woods when the media is set up reporting on the murders.  You can watch his naked arrest.

https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-news/manhunt-underway-for-armed-very-dangerous-19-year-old-wanted-for-killing-3-people-in-pittsylvania-county/

Dude chock full of bath salts or some shit.

1. Officer needs to be put into retirement, yesterday.
  2. You never want to get crossways with a police dog, but especially not while naked.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Probably my favorite non Astros player....Carlos Gomez a close 2nd

yep, love him too. god i wish there was a way to make the all star game something like 24-and-under vs 25-and-older or something. i would love seeing the younger guys' manager trying to sort out that lineup. 

oh, and just to keep it going, my favorite non-cub is.....wait for it.....you'll never guess....its Jose mfn Ramirez. but Acuña stays climbing the list.

all i hope is that i get a very high pick in next year's shaggy fantasy draft so that i can take Acuña, enjoy the hell out of him for a few months, and then trade rape and pillage BO's entire roster for him. champiooonnsshhiiiiippppp.