2019 MLB thread

spystud13

2 minutes ago, Cooder said:

So far it seems as if there is only one person in there ok with it.

I have no idea what the punishment should or will be but there is no place for that shit in baseball.

It's all over baseball. It is baseball. It's the culture of the sport at its core.

Edited by David Dennison

2 minutes ago, Cooder said:

So far it seems as if there is only one person in there ok with it.

I have no idea what the punishment should or will be but there is no place for that shit in baseball.

I am not okay with it, but I also have no idea how to effectively manage and punish it without context of what else was going on in the league.  The article mentions that this is a widespread issue, and it was brought in by a player who used similar techniques with another team.  Hell. there's a VERY good chance that the two unnamed "uniformed Astros" are managing the Red Sox and Mets in 2020.  

It's dumb and shitty and if the Astros are the fall guys then they deserve it for their brazenness and stupidity.  But I just have no context as to how widespread shit like this is.

Hell. there's a VERY good chance that the two unnamed "uniformed Astros" are managing the Red Sox and Mets in 2020.  

This was my first thought as well.

And I agree that MLB needs to clean that up. Teams are taking it too far with Apple watches and cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Cooder said:

This was my first thought as well.

And I agree that MLB needs to clean that up. Teams are taking it too far with Apple watches and cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way to clean it up is to take away championships or ban people from the sport.

That's not going to happen, so it's never going to get cleaned up.

23 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I wonder if this Astros investigation is going to be as thorough as the one they conducted that originally concluded that Apstein was fabricating a story about Taubman. 

Fuckers.  We would have won if they weren't pulling this shit.  I'm certain of it.

Edited by Sbbruin

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Astros won 2 games on the road though.

Got this from a reddit thread, so haven't verified:

Kershaw pitching in LA during the 2017 World Series: 11 innings pitched, 1 earned run, 15 strikeouts and 5 hits

Kershaw pitching in Houston during the 2017 World Series: 4.2 innings pitched. 6 earned runs, 2 strikeouts and 4 hits

17 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Kershaw pitching in LA during the 2017 World Series: 11 innings pitched, 1 earned run, 15 strikeouts and 5 hits

Kershaw pitching in Houston during the 2017 World Series: 4.2 innings pitched. 6 earned runs, 2 strikeouts and 4 hits

LOL at using a single game as a data point for this.

Clayton Kershaw's last 3 road playoff starts:

2017 WS @ HOU: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 6 ER, 2 K, 3 BB

2018 NLCS @ MIL: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 K, 2 BB

2018 WS @ BOS: 4 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 5 K, 3 BB

Maybe homeboy just prefers to pitch at home.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

They should either make it legal or provide teams with the technology to allow them to securely transmit the signs between pitcher/catcher.  You can't have rules on the books that you can't meaningfully enforce as it just creates this gray area where many if not most teams violate the rule with only one or two being punished for it.

Edited by Fozzz

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Milwaukee and Boston are known sign stealers, too. 

45 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

OK, what was the Astros playoff record in 2017, broken down by Home versus Away?  

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

You really think taking away a couple of draft picks or a fine for a billionaire is going to stop it?

OK.

Removing said TVs and other electronics from and around the dugouts and removing all non-broadcast feeds into dugouts would just be too hard and teams would just find another way to do it so might as well not even try. Introducing player and coach suspensions in line with current PED protocol, levying forfeitures of games and top round picks would be IMPOSSIBLE so let’s take those options off the table. Expulsion (of whom?) and removal of championships (which aren’t guaranteed to occur and would only punish a single team if they cheated) are the ONLY options.

Again, really weird take to say it (broadcasting a direct zoomed in feed of the catcher into the dugout to monitor signs and have staff assigned to watch said feed tip pitches and signs to players by banging trash cans, among other noise-making methods) is part of baseball’s culture and other team may be doing it so what’s the big deal and leave it be.

47 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Removing said TVs and other electronics from and around the dugouts and removing all non-broadcast feeds into dugouts would just be too hard and teams would just find another way to do it so might as well not even try. Introducing player and coach suspensions in line with current PED protocol, levying forfeitures of games and top round picks would be IMPOSSIBLE so let’s take those options off the table. Expulsion (of whom?) and removal of championships (which aren’t guaranteed to occur and would only punish a single team if they cheated) are the ONLY options.

Again, really weird take to say it (broadcasting a direct zoomed in feed of the catcher into the dugout to monitor signs and have staff assigned to watch said feed tip pitches and signs to players by banging trash cans, among other noise-making methods) is part of baseball’s culture and other team may be doing it so what’s the big deal and leave it be.

That brings up a very good point.

What is the big deal?

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm convinced.  How else could Kershaw have a bad postseason outing?

It actually doesn’t even make sense, considering it was their hastily-issued, dickish comment that got them in trouble last time.

... thus, declining to comment this time around.

Hats off to Evan Dreillich for writing this story. He’s been one helluva writer over the past several years.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1