2019 MLB thread

spystud13

34 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the astros are the best hitting team this season.  the whole point of hitting is to score runs, and the whole point of scoring runs is to win games, so the astros are the best hitting team this season, because they have the best record.

Solid point!  No one's trying to score a million runs each game; they're just trying to score one more than they allow. 

They also have the best pitching because great pitching beats great hitting every time and they have the best record and also because they have the best pitching.  

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2019 at 10:27 AM, TonyTexas said:

A week ago, the Cubs had a 77% likelihood of making the playoffs. This morning it’s 9%.

And now it is 0.01 their only hope now is to go 5-0 and the Brewers go 0-5. The Mets are in the same boat and given the Brewers remaining schedule they both are f-d.

The only thing up for grabs anymore is do the Cardinals or Brewers win the NL Central so the Cubs could play the spoiler role even if the Cards sweep the D-backs provided the Brewers win out and the Cubs sweep in St. Lou this weekend.

Not sure what will be left of either the Cards or D-backs bullpen after tonight's marathon.

38 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t understand why the Brewers haven’t clinched. They are 5 games up on both the Cubs and Mets with 5 to play and own the heads up tiebreaker on both.

Tie breakers are only used for HFA, not who gets into the postseason.  If Cubs and Crew tie, they would play a game in Milwaukee (because of the tiebreaker) and the winner would then play at Washington.  

Mike Clevinger deserves to get Cy Young votes, and imo he deserves to finish third. His first two starts after returning from a month+ off were bad, but we can safely chalk that up to rust. Take away that one week from this season and he has been right there with Verlander and Cole, and he means as much to his team as any pitcher in the league. He's had an unbelievable season that no one is talking about because of his injury and because the Indians have been off the radar. He's simply been nothing but dominant. 

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He missed half the season.  Injuries matter when it's that much time because guys have ridiculous half seasons all the time, but can't keep up the pace.  Verlander and Cole did it for the entire year.

he didn't miss half the season, he missed less than 1/3 of the season. and again, i'm not saying he should win or even get first or second place votes; im saying that imo he deserves votes as high as 3rd place for both his dominant numbers and what he has meant to his team and it's postseason chances. finally, you characterize it as if he's had one good half season in his career and we don't know if it's for real not; that's not the case. He's been really good for three seasons now, and this year he has been flat out dominant. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Clevy: 120.1 IP, 89 H, 35 BB, 165 K, 2.39 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 6.7 H/9, 0.7 HR/9, 2.6 BB/9, 12.3 K/9, 4.71 K/BB, and most importantly he is 13-3 in 20 starts, with two of the three losses being his first two games back. His team is on the verge of making the postseason because of his pitching since his return. This is not a theoretical argument about the importance of wins, this is about what he does to get his team wins. Again, take that one week of rust out of his season and he is 13-1 in 18 starts. That's one helluva case for some 3rd place votes for an award that's supposed to go to the best pitcher in a particular year. 

Edited by Goo Punch

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t understand why the Brewers haven’t clinched. They are 5 games up on both the Cubs and Mets with 5 to play and own the heads up tiebreaker on both.

If you finish tied for a division then 1 game playoff

If you finish tied for the 2nd wildcard then 1 game playoff

Tiebreakers are used for all other scenarios

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Cole started the year very slowly.  If you were to remove his 1st 11 starts, his numbers would be insane.

yeah, that's the same thing.

all of those elite numbers of his that i posted include his two shitty starts. those numbers speak for themselves. the point i was making is simply that 13-1 in 18 starts (which is his record aside from those two starts which we can blame on rust) is super elite territory, and just goes to show how important he is to a team that might win 95 games and still miss the playoffs. the astros could lose either one of their studs (just did with morton) and not skip a beat. Mike Clevinger and his dominating outings mean everything to a Cleveland team that's trying to get in the postseason.

Anywayyyyyyy, all of this back and forth shit at this point is completely tangential. All I was saying to begin with was that Clevinger is getting no love this season just because of the time he missed in April and May, and he deserves some love because aside from that absence he's been totally dominant and vital to his team's success. So shouts out Mike Clevinger.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Mike Clevinger deserves to get Cy Young votes, and imo he deserves to finish third. His first two starts after returning from a month+ off were bad, but we can safely chalk that up to rust. Take away that one week from this season and he has been right there with Verlander and Cole, and he means as much to his team as any pitcher in the league. He's had an unbelievable season that no one is talking about because of his injury and because the Indians have been off the radar. He's simply been nothing but dominant. 

Innings pitched matters a lot for starters in Cy Young voting, so there's no way he'll finish 3rd.  I'd bet money that he'll be behind Bieber.  

Bill James's Cy Young predictor doesn't even have him in the top 10: http://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

Tom Tango's has him higher, but nowhere near 3rd: https://tinyurl.com/y2e8dfhx

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Innings pitched matters a lot for starters in Cy Young voting, so there's no way he'll finish 3rd.  I'd bet money that he'll be behind Bieber.  

Bill James's Cy Young predictor doesn't even have him in the top 10: http://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

Tom Tango's has him higher, but nowhere near 3rd: https://tinyurl.com/y2e8dfhx

Oh i know he won't finish third, and i should have worded my original post better. What I really meant was that imo he is deserving of as high as 3rd place votes, behind only JV and Cole. A symbolic acknowledgment of what he's done this this year and what he means to his team as their bona fide ace. I know that in reality he's nowhere on the radar for the award, and there's zero argument to vote him ahead of JV or Cole. And as @Johnny Sack just correctly pointed out, nobody gives a shit who finishes third in the Cy Young, so when we have a clear two-horse race for the award, using your third place vote to acknowledge the dominance and importance of a guy who missed two months shouldn't cause any controversy with anyone.

Edited by Goo Punch

33 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Oh, Helo- Mike Clevinger is a starting pitcher for the Cleveland Indians, a baseball team from Cleveland, Ohio. 

Yes, I remember him from the 2017 ALDS when the Yankees smoked his floppy-haired pansy ass to the tune of a 13.50 ERA in that series. Lulz at him ever being considered a Cy Young finalist. I don’t believe the Astros had any trouble with him in the ALDS last year either. He’s a choke artist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the astros could lose either one of their studs (just did with morton) and not skip a beat. Mike Clevinger and his dominating outings mean everything to a Cleveland team that's trying to get in the postseason.

Cleveland would be absolutely dead at this point without Shane Bieber.

btw, i just want to say this for posterity- this is why i love the baseball board. i post here every single day and i don't ever have problems with any of you. in the case of this mike clevinger thing, my OP was worded really poorly, as i was multitasking and sort of mindlessly posting. plenty of people disagreed with my take, but because nobody made it personal or got combative i was able to illustrate my thoughts a bit better during the discussion, and nobody freaked out and nothing got derka'd.

my OP was my fault. i don't blame anyone for disagreeing with it, and i think that now that i've explained my sentiments a little less bombastically that they make a little more sense. that's all that happened here. zero sweat at all. however, if this exact same scenario were to take place on the football board there would be mayhem and carnage. the insults and personal attacks and over-the-top "OMFG DERKA WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO US??" cries would be rampant. I appreciate that I (and everyone else on this forum) am allowed to make a mistake and then defend what i said/clear it up without a full-on riot ensuing. That, to me, exemplifies why the baseball board is easily the best board on this site. for real. you guys are all ok in my book. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Cleveland would be absolutely dead at this point without Shane Bieber.

i don't think there's any doubt about that. dude has been awesome. ask fawesome how many trade offers i made for him in the shaggy fantasy league. anyone who votes him higher than clevinger is totally right to do so, and that's something i won't argue. just like i wouldn't argue if someone wanted to go Clevy 3 and Bieber behind him. Both guys have been immense for the Tribe, particularly in the context of Cleveland's constant health issues and Cookie's sickness. Those two guys have carried that team on their backs.