2019 MLB thread

spystud13

48 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

https://theathletic.com/1376638/2019/11/13/three-major-league-managers-are-connected-to-astros-sign-stealing/

Beltran and Cora now implicated by name.  We gonna investigate the Red Sox title now, or do we believe that Cora suddenly decided to stop what was working once he got more responsibility?  

Beltran was obviously the player who brought the technique over from another team, so which other club needs to be looked at?  The Rangers, his previous stop?  The Yankees, who immediately snatched him up as an adviser after he retired?  The Cardinals?  Should the Mets get ridiculed for hiring a known cheater?

This is going to get messy.

You follow the evidence and go after whatever franchise it leads you to. Anyone who used video technology to steal signs deserves to have their season wiped from the books and they should be penalized with multi-million dollar fines and the loss of draft picks. Manfred cannot go soft on this. Grow a spine and do the right thing.

16 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

You follow the evidence and go after whatever franchise it leads you to. Anyone who used video technology to steal signs deserves to have their season wiped from the books and they should be penalized with multi-million dollar fines and the loss of draft picks. Manfred cannot go soft on this. Grow a spine and do the right thing.

Lmao 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

They might get fined and lose a pick or two, but that's it. Owners aren't going to tolerate anything more than that. 

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Whether you believe this or not, you know damn well it doesn’t work that way and you’d blindly defend the Yankees if they did the same thing. The Astros will get a slap on the wrist, they won’t do it again, and by the start of next baseball season only the die hard fans will even remember this was a story. It is what it is. The Astros are just dumb for getting caught, because I highly doubt they just came up with this on their own. I’m sure it’s a lot more prevalent than we all think. They just made it obvious as fuck based on some of these videos. I’m not even an Astros fan and I’m already sick of this fucking story lol. Nothing is going to happen to them outside of someone losing their job, and possibly a fine/loss of draft pick(s). There’s almost no point in even talking about this anymore. 

With that being said, it is fun trolling my Astros friends about this. But that’s all it is. Me trying to get a rise out of them. That’s all I have right now lol. That’s what happens when my team isn’t relevant. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

43 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

tenor.gif

28 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Whether you believe this or not, you know damn well it doesn’t work that way and you’d blindly defend the Yankees if they did the same thing

No I would not. I am just not wired that way. If you cheat in this manner there has to be a far more harsh set of penalties. I do not care who would suffer from breaking the rules on this. I enjoy the sport more overall than anything else. Again if this cheating can be found to have actually happened you have to bring the hammer on this. It is not a good look for the sport. 

Just now, UpperWestside said:

No I would not. I am just not wired that way. If you cheat in this manner there has to be a far more harsh set of penalties. I do not care who would suffer from breaking the rules on this. I enjoy the sport more overall than anything else. Again if this cheating can be found to have actually happened you have to bring the hammer on this. It is not a good look for the sport. 

MLB wants no part of a widespread investigation into this issue. It would involve most of the league.

6 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

MLB wants no part of a widespread investigation into this issue. It would involve most of the league.

This. I think you would be borderline crazy if you think the Astros just came up with this idea on their own. They’re just really fucking stupid for being so obvious about it and getting caught (AJ hinch being so arrogant after getting called out is just another small example of how unbelievably dumb they were about this whole situation). Starting from the ALCS, every Astros “scandal” has been marked with arrogance and stupidity. That can’t really be disputed, even by the most homer Astros fan. I just highly doubt they came up with this idea in house. 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This. I think you would be borderline crazy if you think the Astros just came up with this idea on their own. They’re just really fucking stupid for being so obvious about it and getting caught (AJ hinch being so arrogant after getting called out is just another small example of how unbelievably dumb they were about this whole situation). Starting from the ALCS, every Astros “scandal” has been marked with arrogance and stupidity. That can’t really be disputed, even by the most homer Astros fan. I just highly doubt they came up with this idea in house. 

Mike Fiers is a narc. 

Beltran was working in the Bronx last season, pal. You think he just closed up shop and started walking on the straight and narrow? See Bregman’s quote above.

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

And trout wins AL MVP because he is the default winner every year. Eventually he has to play in a meaningful game, right?

It’s kind of impressive that he’s played an entire decade basically and not ever won a playoff game. I’m really trying to think of a GOAT in any sport whose team has had as little success as Trout’s has had.

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s kind of impressive that he’s played an entire decade basically and not ever won a playoff game. I’m really trying to think of a GOAT in any sport whose team has had as little success as Trout’s has had.

Oh yeah, that's a tough one... have you heard of Ted Williams?

• Like 1

We have a signing. 

While re-signing Josh Donaldson or acquiring another power hitter might be the Braves’ most pressing need this winter, they have spent the early stage of this offseason focusing on their bullpen, which grew stronger on Thursday with the addition of All-Star closer Will Smith.

The Braves signed Smith, 30, to a three-year, $40 million deal that includes a $13 million option ($1 million buyout) for 2023. This move comes less than a week after another former All-Star reliever Darren O’Day was re-signed to provide the bullpen some middle-inning stability.

QO didn’t hurt him. 

5 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Beltran was working in the Bronx last season, pal. You think he just closed up shop and started walking on the straight and narrow? See Bregman’s quote above.

Question for you because apparently you missed this. Did you read the FIRST SENTENCE in the post? I clearly said you go after whatever franchise you have to. If the Yankees did it you fine them with the same 8 figure fine and dock them multiple draft picks over several years and forfeit their entire season.

Why is it so hard to comprehend that I think everyone who participated in this should face the same penalties? If the Yanks did it in any season and they can prove it you throw the book at them as well. Fix this damn sport and save it from itself. 

Carson Smith’s last two seasons of pro ball:
2017 - the team he pitches for gets busted for stealing signs via Apple watches
2018 - the team he pitches for is managed by the apparent mastermind of the scheme he is now speculating about

Ol’ Carson might wanna sit this one out.

Even further...
Astros 2017 bullpen coach: Craig Bjornson
Red Sox 2018 bullpen coach: Craig Bjornson

Smith is implicating the last man who coached him, and expects us to believe this guy suddenly stopped aiding in this bullpen-sign stealing scheme the year after he (allegedly) watched that method win a World Series. Okay.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah. About that . . .

Why is this so hard to do? You get any of them. If every freaking team in MLB is using video technology to do this you systematically get them. Fine them. Stagger a loss of draft picks. Wipe their season from the books. There are times where I find your cynicism legitimate, but this is not one of them.

This sport that I, and millions of other people love, is teetering on the brink of a disastrous situation. Manfred needs to be front and center on this and should be forceful in the penalties he hands down. If a World Series winner cheated you take it away. This is not that hard to comprehend.

Edited by UpperWestside

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

Why is this so hard to do? You get any of them. If every freaking team in MLB is using video technology to do this you systematically get them. Fine them. Stagger a loss of draft picks. Wipe their season from the books. There are times where I find your cynicism legitimate, but this is not one of them.

This sport that I, and millions of other people love, is teetering on the brink of a disastrous situation. Manfred needs to be front and center on this and should be forceful in the penalties he hands down. If a World Series winner cheated you take it away. This is not that hard to comprehend.

We're gonna have to take away some Yankee championships.

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

And trout wins AL MVP because he is the default winner every year. Eventually he has to play in a meaningful game, right?

?? how is he the default winner every year? also your argument is a bullshit argument exclusively used by losers who played on better teams. the Astros are the most stacked fucking team in baseball, but yeah, let's act like the MVP award is about all those team wins that apparently only Alex Bregman was responsible for. this isn't basketball doofus, this is literally the last sport in the world where team wins should be a factor in MVP voting. no sport has more people impact the game than baseball. 

• Like 1

this scandal is kind of crazy because it involves the entire team actively and knowingly cheating. as a Cubs fan who had to watch his childhood hero get busted using steroids, using a corked bat, pretending he forgot how to speak English, and then literally white washing himself, even I gotta say that this pretty fucking disgraceful and all Astros fans should feel lousy as shit about everything they've accomplished. the same way that Cubs fans don't even talk or really even think about Sosa anymore, Astros fans should be sad and embarrassed by this. everything you won was through systemic cheating. if you're an Astros fan and you aren't completely gut-punched by this then I question where your head is at. 

• Like 1

Even further...
Astros 2017 bullpen coach: Craig Bjornson
Red Sox 2018 bullpen coach: Craig Bjornson

Smith is implicating the last man who coached him, and expects us to believe this guy suddenly stopped aiding in this bullpen-sign stealing scheme the year after he (allegedly) watched that method win a World Series. Okay.

I was waited two fucking years for Carson Smith to finally contribute to the Red Sox, and this is what I get? Huh.

Also, lulz @ all the Astros fans (and even Houston sports talk radio) calling Jomboy a “conspiracy theorist” and saying he doctored all these videos like they’re the Zapruder film.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

this scandal is kind of crazy because it involves the entire team actively and knowingly cheating. as a Cubs fan who had to watch his childhood hero get busted using steroids, using a corked bat, pretending he forgot how to speak English, and then literally white washing himself, even I gotta say that this pretty fucking disgraceful and all Astros fans should feel lousy as shit about everything they've accomplished. the same way that Cubs fans don't even talk or really even think about Sosa anymore, Astros fans should be sad and embarrassed by this. everything you won was through systemic cheating. if you're an Astros fan and you aren't completely gut-punched by this then I question where your head is at. 

I can't imagine being sad or embarrassed by anything a professional sports team does. That's just weird.

Edited by David Dennison

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I can't imagine being sad or embarrassed by anything a professional sports team does. That's just weird.

weird like allegedly refusing to get emotionally invested in sports and then signing up for a sports message board and constantly arguing with people over sports? 

• Like 2

The Astros are quickly turning into a laughingstock. Fans on other MLB boards on reddit & team blogs are flaming the Astros fan base over their crusade against Jomboy & the fact that that Houston fans think blatant cheating is not a big deal. Of course the Astros fans are too oblivious in their echo chamber to notice.