Best songs of the 90's

Loco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Kamakawiwoʻole called the recording studio at 3 am. He was given 15 minutes to arrive by Milan Bertosa. Bertosa said, "And in walks the largest human being I had seen in my life. Israel was probably like 500 pounds. And the first thing at hand is to find something for him to sit on." A security guard gave Kamakawiwoʻole a large steel chair. "Then I put up some microphones, do a quick sound check, roll tape, and the first thing he does is 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' He played and sang, one take, and it was over."

• Like 1

This song was released on the She's the One Soundtrack in 1996. I had never really listened to that record because I assumed it sucked and I was getting super into punk rock and post-punk and math rock and all that shit. When Tom Petty died one of my buddies posted this on facebook and I shamefully had never heard this song before. I love it so much now. I prefer the second version, actually titled Walls (No 3), to the version that was released as a single. This version is faster, but also sadder. I read that he got the opening line of "Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks" from Johnny Cash when they were in the Wilburrys. Miss ya TP!

Here's a cool acoustic version.

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

This song was released on the She's the One Soundtrack in 1996. I had never really listened to that record because I assumed it sucked and I was getting super into punk rock and post-punk and math rock and all that shit. When Tom Petty died one of my buddies posted this on facebook and I shamefully had never heard this song before. I love it so much now. I prefer the second version, actually titled Walls (No 3), to the version that was released as a single. This version is faster, but also sadder. I read that he got the opening line of "Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks" from Johnny Cash when they were in the Wilburrys. Miss ya TP!

Here's a cool acoustic version.

*Johnny Cash wasn't in the Willburys.  

On 5/5/2019 at 8:26 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Probably the most relevant thread for this. Found some ticket Stubbs I had kept.

6bWbb0Wh_o.jpeg

I was at that 98 Fugazi show at Liberty Lunch, the Bosstones show at Austin Music Hall (I remember the lead singer being a bitch about having to play "knock on wood" saying it was overplayed, the '96 Rage tour but in Dallas, and the Toadies/Butthole Surfers Dallas leg of that tour. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 1

I was at that Fugazi show at Liberty Lunch, the Bosstones show at Austin Music Hall (I remember the lead singer being a bitch about having to play "knock on wood" saying it was overplayed, the '96 Rage tour but in Dallas, and the Toadies/Butthole Surfers Dallas leg of that tour. 

Which Fugazi show, there were two (well, there were actually three. 2 consecutive shows in 1995 and the one in 1998). The one in 1995 was incredible and in my top 5 concerts of all time. I also got to see them in DC when I lived there.

I have a funny story about that Butthole Surfers show. Maybe I told it before. It was at an outdoor amphitheater in Houston and during the Butthole Surfer’s ser someone threw a frisbee that hit Ginny in the head. I thought the show was over, but they kept going and he flung that frisbee way the fuck out near where my friends and we’re sitting on the hill. My best friend runs about 20 yards and dives, completely laying out to make a remarkable catch. Crowd goes nuts and Ginny motions to throw it back to him. My buddy winds up and tries to throw it but it is one of the worst frisbee throws ever and barely makes it 20 ft before hitting the ground. Crowd didn’t go nuts.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Which Fugazi show, there were two (well, there were actually three. 2 consecutive shows in 1995 and the one in 1998). The one in 1995 was incredible and in my top 5 concerts of all time. I also got to see them in DC when I lived there.

I have a funny story about that Butthole Surfers show. Maybe I told it before. It was at an outdoor amphitheater in Houston and during the Butthole Surfer’s ser someone threw a frisbee that hit Ginny in the head. I thought the show was over, but they kept going and he flung that frisbee way the fuck out near where my friends and we’re sitting on the hill. My best friend runs about 20 yards and dives, completely laying out to make a remarkable catch. Crowd goes nuts and Ginny motions to throw it back to him. My buddy winds up and tries to throw it but it is one of the worst frisbee throws ever and barely makes it 20 ft before hitting the ground. Crowd didn’t go nuts.

I edited to add that it was the 98 show. I saw them again at the Ridglea in Ft. Worth in 2002. 

*Gibby