Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

mdmost

Is this set in a universe where Inglorious Basterds was a true story and DiCaprio is playing a role depicting it? Because that seems kind of awesome. 

I thought this same thing when I saw the trailer. The brief initial (spoiler free) reviews I have seen right after the screening were uniformly effusively positive. I’m gonna steer clear of reading anything further about it until it opens to stay spoiler free (& as Tarantino specifically pleaded with that early audience to not reveal any spoilers).

14 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Tarantino's movies are great because of the dialogue.  You could tell me the entire plot of each of his movies before viewing and I don't think it would detract much from their greatness.

Once he "made it" with Reservoir Dogs and he had money to work with, his flicks are usually beautiful to look at.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

So, am I the only one that never realized this was a Charles Manson movie until this trailer was released?   I was getting a very different vibe from the prior teasers.

Before he had a title, he was calling it his "Charles Manson movie" or something.  There's a lot of ways he could go with it up to and including being an alt-history.

I will probably check the spoilers before I see it - I really have no desire to watch it, or at least the ending, if it has Sharon Tate's murder.  Not that he could make it gorier than the crime-scene photos or the morgue photos of her, but I dunno why, I would just prefer to skip that part.  I want to see the rest of it though.

Edited by atomheartbevo

• 1 month later...

I just got back from watching it and thought it was great.  Having said that, it's also really different than I think most people are expecting in that it is the least Tarantino-y movie he's made (in terms of quirky/quick/pop culture dialogue and even soundtrack) and I think that's really gonna turn some people off...especially at 2:40 long.  However, I thought the time flew by pretty quick and the pay off was great.  Looking forward to catching it again but in 35mm next week.

Also, it is my firm belief that he is trolling everyone with the foot fetish thing in this movie.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Steaming pile of crap. Someone owes me money 

last 30 mins was ok, at best 

9 hours ago, Ths71 said:

Not a great movie but lots of fun.

2 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Meh. Dicaprio and Pitt were great but it was a bit of a meandering slog.

so y’all didn’t give a 6-minute standing ovation when it ended?

Great flick - but I am afraid the unwashed masses will miss the point. 1969 was a pivotal year in Hollywood. Sharon Tate was the "It girl" - ascendant in her stardom. QT was a six year old boy in the backwater midwest who idolized cinema and its stars. The movie is a tale with a hero's arc fleshed out in its characters. I saw it as QT's most personal film to date. While others were dreaming of the moon, he was dreaming of the Golden Era of Hollywood. 

Ignore the unwashed and see the movie. Don't read reviews (which are almost universally positive) and immerse yourself in the film looking for the breadcrumbs. They are there. Five years from now you will be glad you went. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Steaming pile of crap. Someone owes me money 

last 30 mins was ok, at best 

Cinematography was awesome. DiCaprio and Pitt were damn good, as Expected. 

I’ll Watch it again when it hits Netflix 

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

as always, the music was spot on

48 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

DiCaprio and Pitt should both be nominated for oscars. Just imagine if they had had a better script / plot / storyline

I always ask for refunds on movies where multiple actors should be nominated for Oscars. 

I also always watch movies that are a steaming pile of crap multiple times. 

jesus. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Saw it in 35mm at the Ritz. Not my favorite QT movie but certainly looked and sounded great. It was entertaining and definitely didn't seem like 2 hours 40 minutes.  Leo and especially Brad Pitt were excellent. Margot Robbie didn't really have much to do but darn she looked purty. Margaret Qualley as the hitchhiking hippy was very good too.  

The whole vibe of the Manson family scenes was pretty ominous and creepy.

It had it's funny moments, but I thought the script was pretty weak compared to most Tarantino stuff.

Spoiler

Not unexpected, but the violence at the end was pretty brutal, with Pitt slamming the chick's head over and over and the dog going to town.

And Leo whipping out the flamethrower was great.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 1

It was a movie I appreciated much more as I've been thinking about it since it ended (my showing ended about 4 hours ago) than I did while I was watching it. When I watch a movie in theaters I want it to be about a destination as much as anything and I didn't really care for where it ended up but as I thought more about the performances, Pitt and DiCaprio in particular, I really liked it. I think the nuance built into their relationship was great and the scenes where DiCaprio is in the new western TV show were phenomenal (and REALLY made me want a Justified movie where DiCaprio is the bad guy opposite Olyphant). Gonna spoiler some of the things I REALLY loved the more I thought about them:

Spoiler

- The Pitt flashback where he fights Bruce Lee was not only probably the most purely entertaining scene in the movie, it serves a purpose too. Pitt's character has the flashback when he's standing on the roof fixing DiCaprio's TV antenna after he told him he couldn't get him a job. In the flashback DiCaprio goes to bat for him and gets him a gig and he completely fucks it up because that's who he is and yet, DiCaprio will still go to bat for him. It's in that moment he not only realizes why he didn't get this particular gig, but also why he'd go up on the roof for this self centered, ego maniac. Their relationship is symbiotic, he needs Leo for work, Leo needs him because he's mostly non-functioning when he's not working. There's a beautiful level of nuance there.

DiCaprio raging against hippie culture, literally taking a torch to it in the end because it's rendered him obsolete as an actor, but Sharon Tate has a hippie spirit and by saving her life he becomes friends with her and presumable can get cast in a Polanski movie which gives him the happy ending he's looking for. I thought that was fun.

I also was fascinated by the idea how you become a relic so quickly in a culture change. They point out a few times Bounty Law only ended eight years ago but he feels ANCIENT juxtaposed with the hippie culture. 

The Sharon Tate angle did nothing for me personally. I think Margot Robbie can act (she's great in I Tonya) but the part was just a whole lot of nothing. I get what she's supposed to represent, but for a movie that's 2:41 I just wasn't feeling that particular plot point.