Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

mdmost

Yep. I rewatched it over the weekend, as well. Even better than I remember it, and I really liked it the first time.

Also rewatched the Hal Needham documentary. So much of the feel of his and Burt's relationship is in "Once Upon a Time".

Edited by Deej

33 minutes ago, Halohal said:

Saw last night and enjoyed it. Minor details were awesome (radio, TV, streets, clothes) the monologue by McQueen was cool and the cgi for the great escape was cheesy but I approve, as well as for watching movie.

The Great Escape scene irked me. At best it’s fan service. What does Rick/Leo look like in that movie? OMG he did it! At worst it’s a throwaway scene. 

Tarantino has said before The Great Escape is his favorite film. I guess it was a respectful nod and fan service. 

I have no issue with the Bruce Lee scene. It establishes Cliff as a bad ass which definitely comes up in the climatic scene. 

Bought it when it was available.  First watch, I was "distracted" and had a little trouble following it.  Watched it the next day and loved it.  The

flame thrower

at the end was a really nice exclamation point on the finale.

Edited by dcbc

Not knowing the Manson Tate story pretty much robs the viewer of the tension the movie is built around I would think. Sort of like missing the whole point.

So I just watched this movie, and had somehow avoided hearing what it was about. Therefore it was well into it before I realized where it was going and I was suddenly hit with this feeling of dread. “Sharon Tate, that name sounds familiar. Can’t recall why. Who’s this Charlie guy ohhhhhhhh shiiiiiit.” It actually made for an incredibly enjoyable experience. I fucking loved it. But then again Inglorious Basterds is maybe my favorite QT movie ever and this was the spiritual part II.

Pitt and DiCaprio absolutely killed it. Great film.
  • Like 1

Pussycat was played by Margaret Qualley.

She’s been in “Fosse/Verdon” and “The Leftovers”.

She’s also Andie McDowell’s daughter.

0438f575fe3f72f571a4b73067c8a447.jpg

She was also in one of the absolute best movies of the last decade: The Nice Guys (in fact if you liked this movie you should see The Nice Guys).

Further thoughts:
As Stuckmann pointed out: the Bruce Lee scene was a 9 minute flashback to sell a single joke. No one but QT could pull that off.

Loved the little nod to From Dusk Til Dawn: “Ok pig killers: let’s kill some pigs.”

So cool that Uma Thurman’s daughter got a part. And the stunt girl from Deathproof.

Memorable line: “When it’s the end of the road for friend who’s more than a brother but quite a wife, getting blind drunk is the only way to go out.” or WTTE. Seemed like an instant classic line.

Margot Robbie is absolute train smoke.
  • Like 1

*Hot take alert* Leo was better than Brad and no one wants to give him credit, because?! I guess Brad hasn't been good since Fury/The Big Short and he needs a win?

Both are great, but Leo's scenes are better. I guess Brad gets the nod because he invokes McQueen and takes his shirt off? I've been a bit surprised by the reception. Brad: OMG GOAT performance! Leo: cool he's in this movie, good for him. I guess this is the only drawback of starring in so many good films?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

*Hot take alert* Leo was better than Brad and no one wants to give him credit, because?! I guess Brad hasn't been good since Fury/The Big Short and he needs a win?

Both are great, but Leo's scenes are better. I guess Brad gets the nod because he invokes McQueen and takes his shirt off? I've been a bit surprised by the reception. Brad: OMG GOAT performance! Leo: cool he's in this movie, good for him. I guess this is the only drawback of starring in so many good films?

i wrote a mini-thesis saying the same. 

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 1:42 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

It's pretty simple.  LDC got his Oscar a few years ago.  Pitt needs his and this is his year.  He's in a category full of a bunch of spares so he should run away with it.*

*Only serious about the last 6 words of this sentence.    

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:41 AM, Buzzrock said:

He’s Brad Fucking Pitt, and don’t you forget it.

Ha...

So Brad Pitt and Leo were just on the WTF podcast and Leo talked about how Pitt ad libbed that "Rick Fucking Dalton" line. 

Pitt then talked about how he came up with that because at some point in the mid 90s he was bummed out feeling sorry for himself for one reason or another and one his drivers or "hangers on" or whatever said that him.

57 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Ha...

So Brad Pitt and Leo were just on the WTF podcast and Leo talked about how Pitt ad libbed that "Rick Fucking Dalton" line. 

Pitt then talked about how he came up with that because at some point in the mid 90s he was bummed out feeling sorry for himself for one reason or another and one his drivers or "hangers on" or whatever said that him.

First part of that interview, when they were talking about buying art, reminded me of the first minute and last 30 seconds of this clip....

Edited by tantric superman

I have to admit, I would have had a real problem with watching this on a plane. Planes are the worst places to watch movies, right behind movie theaters and anywhere with my wife. 

I thought 75% of the greatness of this movie was based completely on one's expectations.  I was on pins and needles the whole damn movie waiting for shit to happen.  Pretty great to make a suspense movie out of something that you know the story to.

The Brad Pitt scene at the ranch -- going up the steps, in through the house, was just outstanding.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i've been in a few licensing meetings with shannon lee.

everyone else in the meeting who worked for their company was pulling in the same direction.  except shannon lee.

suit will probably end up better for the movie than for her.

Yeah i hear she's very............ dedicated i guess you could say, at protecting her late fathers image. Seems petty to me but that wasn't my dad.