Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

mdmost

7 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Also thought Ricks scene where he’s making margaritas and then confronts the crazies in their car was awesome. And then at end when he is talking to his neighbor on the driveway... “well.... the fuckin hippies aren’t. That’s for goddam sure”

Leo can really inhabit a role.  

On 3/29/2020 at 9:45 PM, yoladu said:

so saw it last night... question:

what was the significance of Rick Dalton stuttering? The dont really refer to it in the film. Any thoughts?

It's very pronounced during the restaurant scene with Al Pacino, but it also happens thoughout the film if you listen closely.

I think a lot of his ticks are a reflection of his anxieties and alcoholism.

• Like 1

Did a little digging around and found the Lancer pilot on YouTube. Rick Dalton's character was played by Joe Don Baker. The scene in the movie never took place, but you could see the inspiration for it. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, futureman said:

probably the good scenes and good acting and that tarantino ending. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

wedding-crashers-wtf.gif

It's a fucking masterpiece homage to Hollywood.

Good scenes and acting but that doesn’t make a movie.  To setup that 20min QT ending you needed very little of the bloated meandering scenes that came before it.  I like seeing MR on screen but her scenes after the brief intro at the playboy mansion was just a waste of time.   LD’s on set acting shit was good in its own right but other than that the rest of his scenes were pointless (the whole going to Rome contributed next to nothing to the story or it’s progression).  With a few exceptions MR and LD’s parts completely disconnected to what little plot there was which boiled down to basically just BP and the Manson Family (and some of BP’s scenes were unnecessary too).  A good editor could have made this into a tight 1.5-2hr flick and made it far more watchable, but everyone is giving it high marks because of the cast and that’s it’s a QT film.  But I guess I’m in the minority here, and I’m okay with that.

• Like 2

To be completely honest I'm hammered right now and don't follow all of your acronyms. The Tate situation is what could have been if she survived. Jake was a metaphor for middle age actors that went Spaghetti Western to prolong their career. It's a covert jab at Clint Eastwood imho.

Yeah I loved the Margot Robbie scenes - especially her picking up the hitchhiker and going to the movies to watch herself.  She is supposed to symbolize what the Manson's took away - youth, beauty, innocence, etc.  You're supposed to dread when the Mansons show up at the end to kill her and then QT's twist is a kind of wistful what could have been had she lived.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

I hear you but a guy who’s won five Oscars has maybe done a tad better than prolonging his career 

What had he done prior to going to Italy? Zip. A few TV shows, just like Jake. After Italy, the roles came flooding in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Good scenes and acting but that doesn’t make a movie.  To setup that 20min QT ending you needed very little of the bloated meandering scenes that came before it.  I like seeing MR on screen but her scenes after the brief intro at the playboy mansion was just a waste of time.   LD’s on set acting shit was good in its own right but other than that the rest of his scenes were pointless (the whole going to Rome contributed next to nothing to the story or it’s progression).  With a few exceptions MR and LD’s parts completely disconnected to what little plot there was which boiled down to basically just BP and the Manson Family (and some of BP’s scenes were unnecessary too).  A good editor could have made this into a tight 1.5-2hr flick and made it far more watchable, but everyone is giving it high marks because of the cast and that’s it’s a QT film.  But I guess I’m in the minority here, and I’m okay with that.

It appears to have been intentionally drawn out. The goal, I think, was to bore the audience a little. Put 'em in a foul mood and make 'em wonder why they're paying to see the Tate murders. Then we have the surreal ending that feels so artificial, but so Hollywood. We love it, even though we know it's fake.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Apep said:

It appears to have been intentionally drawn out. The goal, I think, was to bore the audience a little. Put 'em in a foul mood and make 'em wonder why they're paying to see the Tate murders. Then we have the surreal ending that feels so artificial, but so Hollywood. We love it, even though we know it's fake.

Well said. 

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Yeah I loved the Margot Robbie scenes - especially her picking up the hitchhiker and going to the movies to watch herself.  She is supposed to symbolize what the Manson's took away - youth, beauty, innocence, etc.  You're supposed to dread when the Mansons show up at the end to kill her and then QT's twist is a kind of wistful what could have been had she lived.

Agree. QT weaves in so many levels and narratives. Loss of innocence. 

14 hours ago, RPM said:

What had he done prior to going to Italy? Zip. A few TV shows, just like Jake. After Italy, the roles came flooding in.

Yeah, I think the idea at the end of the movie is Rick is about to have a career resurgence too. At the end Rick is now friendly with Sharon Tate and by extension Roman Polanski. Maybe he gets a role in a Polanski movie that gets him some critical acclaim and that jump starts a 2nd act of film roles where he ends up having a career not unlike Clint's.

Also they both hate hippies. 

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah, I think the idea at the end of the movie is Rick is about to have a career resurgence too. At the end Rick is now friendly with Sharon Tate and by extension Roman Polanski. Maybe he gets a role in a Polanski movie that gets him some critical acclaim and that jump starts a 2nd act of film roles where he ends up having a career not unlike Clint's.

Also they both hate hippies. 

I assumed Rick was based on Hal Needham

53 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

I assumed Rick was based on Hal Needham

That would be Cliff right? Regardless, I don't think Rick is based off Eastwood specifically but there are some similarities there and I think Tarantino ended the movie with the possibility that Rick would go on to be a bigger deal than a forgotten TV/spaghetti Western star and could turn into something like later day Eastwood.

15 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

That would be Cliff right? Regardless, I don't think Rick is based off Eastwood specifically but there are some similarities there and I think Tarantino ended the movie with the possibility that Rick would go on to be a bigger deal than a forgotten TV/spaghetti Western star and could turn into something like later day Eastwood.

Yeah, Cliff not Rick.

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

Rewatched last weekend and enjoyed, but still think it ranks middle of the pack for QT.

Followed up by watching Hail, Caesar! last night which gives a pretty cool juxtaposition.

I thought Hail Caesar was better for what it was trying to accomplish. However, im in the minority that thought OUATIH was overrated as hell

On 6/24/2020 at 4:19 PM, RPM said:

To be completely honest I'm hammered right now and don't follow all of your acronyms. The Tate situation is what could have been if she survived. Jake was a metaphor for middle age actors that went Spaghetti Western to prolong their career. It's a covert jab at Clint Eastwood imho.

At 4:19 on a Wednesday.

tenor.gif?itemid=11095845

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

so you were hammered before starting your shift?  

tenor.gif?itemid=11095845

Before I went to bed, slept, got up, showered, ate and went to work, yeah. What are you, some kinda Jehovah's Witness?

42875-big-lebowski.jpg

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

Quentin's use of music and editing over, under, around and through sweet little gems of music draw me to Tarantino World more than anything.  And all the pretty blonde ladeez.  One more thing, the scene at the beginning of Inglorious Basterds in the French country farmhouse, when the focus shifted and the eyes of the people hiding under the house showed up was absolutely stunning to this old man.  And the long shot of the SS officer's Mercedes rolling up the road in the distance as "The Green Grass of Summer," featured in 1961's The Alamo, swelled in the soundtrack.  Good stuff there.

Edited by Bama Llama
Cain't spkell
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Finally saw this movie.  I grew up in all of these sights.  My house from the time I was five was 2 miles from the Cinerama Dome.  The Fox and Bruin theaters were where we went when we took the bus to Westwood.  I miss LA back when t was just a town.  That’s all it was to me. Now it’s a bit of a monster.  I wish it weren’t.

• Like 4