Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

mdmost

55 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Listened to that. I thought the The Ringer podcast The Big Picture (Chris Ryan, Sean F and I think Amanda Dobbins) reviewed the movie much more interestingly than Simmons and Morris.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Listened to that. I thought the The Ringer podcast The Big Picture (Chris Ryan, Sean F and I think Amanda Dobbins) reviewed the movie much more interestingly than Simmons and Morris.

Thanks.  I'm going to go listen to that one next.  

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Manson - Beach Boys connection is pretty wild. Google is your friend. 

Never pick up hitchhikers.

IIRC there was some kind of very quick Dennis Wilson reference in OUATIH, wasn't there? I can't remember when or where...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wood said:

IIRC there was some kind of very quick Dennis Wilson reference in OUATIH, wasn't there? I can't remember when or where...

When Manson showed up to the house looking for Terry.  He was told he had moved and Manson said something like, " Can you tell him I came by.  I'm a friend of _____ and Dennis Wilson."

I forgot who the other person he mentioned was, but Manson and members of his "family" lived with Wilson for a while and Wilson was the guy who introduced him to Terry Melcher, the record producer.  

This all kind of seems out of order in the movie though.  Dennis Wilson had already introduced them in real life, so he wouldn't have needed to say that.  By the time Terry moved out of that house all of them had cut ties with the Manson family (according to some TV doc I saw and some googling).

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

This all kind of seems out of order in the movie though.  Dennis Wilson had already introduced them in real life, so he wouldn't have needed to say that. 

didn’t he say that after sebring had told him terry didn’t live there anymore?  so it had nothing to do with terry; he was just filling sebring in on some details. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

didn’t he say that after sebring had told him terry didn’t live there anymore?  so it had nothing to do with terry; he was just filling sebring in on some details. 

You may be right.  I saw it opening weekend and am paraphrasing from memory.  

On 8/12/2019 at 4:18 PM, henrygandorf said:

before the murders, they went to el coyote, on beverly, which is technically weho, since it's west of la brea.  the new beverly (www.thenewbev.com) is across the street, and tarantino owns it.  he redid it and it opened back up in january, but i haven't been since, largely because of the shitty schedule.  but you can't go to the new beverly without going to el coyote first.  the guys went to casa vega, which is in sherman oaks in the valley.  while inconveniently located, you could cut through beverly glen and it wouldn't be too terrible to get from the valley to cielo.

Small world.  My little brother lives less than a half mile from the El Coyote on Sycamore.

Just saw it.

I’m not a film expert nor a QT fangirl but I really enjoyed it.

My biggest takeaway is that Brad Pitt looks fucking amazing for 55 years old! Hell, he has a better body than most 30 year olds.

1fd879877ab015efe432cebc700bca8a.gif

He looks better now than he did when he was in “Thelma and Louise”. Which was 28 years ago when he was 27 years old!

c643facc7e49ec8dcd4a5174a9942420.jpg8b4cb201f8b5904950d384fac02d33bb.jpg

It’s sorcery.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

My biggest takeaway is that Brad Pitt looks fucking amazing for 55 years old! Hell, he has a better body than most 30 year olds.
He looks better now than he did when he was in “Thelma and Louise”. Which was 28 years ago when he was 27 years old!

giphy.gif

I'd say most 20 year olds myself, but who's counting.

Gotcha, thanks. I loved the Leftovers but don't remember her role in it, but it's been a while. We're in our 40s and neither of us know a ton about the Manson murders, but we both loved the movie and the attention to detail QT showed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Just saw it.

I’m not a film expert nor a QT fangirl but I really enjoyed it.

1fd879877ab015efe432cebc700bca8a.gif

c643facc7e49ec8dcd4a5174a9942420.jpg8b4cb201f8b5904950d384fac02d33bb.jpg

It’s sorcery.

CGI

On 8/14/2019 at 11:44 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

The Manson - Beach Boys connection is pretty wild. Google is your friend. 

There's a podcast called "You Must Remember This" about the history of 20th-century Hollywood.  The author did a whole season on the Manson family, and how they tied in to the 60's film and music scenes in LA.  It's a pretty deep dive on the topic, and Manson's connections are numerous.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/20/16681366/you-must-remember-this-manson-podcast

I think other biographers (Jeff Guinn) said that Manson's failure to have a musical career is what triggered the murders.  i.e. the cult leader couldn't let himself be seen as a failure.  

• Like 2

Finally just saw it last night. I thought it was excellent. I've always appreciated the small details Tarantino puts into his movies. I loved the Antonio Marghareti thread from IB and the resetting of 60's Hollywood theaters and restaurants. I even appreciated how he subtly paid hommage to Mexicans in the service industry in LA -- essentially referencing their exclusion from Hollywood: ALL valets in the movie, the kind movie theater manager, stage crew, and the very small parts in westerns at that time. My family has been in LA since the 20's; Hollywood strikes an interesting chord with the Mexican-American community there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, iodeac said:

Gotcha, thanks. I loved the Leftovers but don't remember her role in it, but it's been a while. We're in our 40s and neither of us know a ton about the Manson murders, but we both loved the movie and the attention to detail QT showed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

you got a turd in your pocket?

23 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

There's a podcast called "You Must Remember This" about the history of 20th-century Hollywood.  The author did a whole season on the Manson family, and how they tied in to the 60's film and music scenes in LA.  It's a pretty deep dive on the topic, and Manson's connections are numerous.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/20/16681366/you-must-remember-this-manson-podcast

I think other biographers (Jeff Guinn) said that Manson's failure to have a musical career is what triggered the murders.  i.e. the cult leader couldn't let himself be seen as a failure.  

Re-listening to the Manson season right now.  It's a riveting, perfect piece of podcasting.  Highly, highly recommended if you're interested in learning more.

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Saw it a second time last weekend. I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this, but I noticed that the actress who plays Cliff Booth’s wife is 90’s crush object Rebecca Gayheart, who pled no contest to manslaughter about 20 years ago.

i saw her name in the credits, then looked it up.  definitely didn't notice it at the time.  tarantino can get away with a lot of stunt casting, especially in a movie like this.  seeing all the billboards down sunset, you would think luke perry had a big part in the movie.

not sure if it's been linked or listed, but in case anyone was interested:

https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Once_Upon_a_Time_in_Hollywood_Soundtrack

• 1. “Treat Her Right” – Roy Head & The Traits
  • 2. “Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man – The Bob Seger System
  • Boss Radio feat. Humble Harve:
  • 3. “Hush” – Deep Purple
  • 4. “Mug Root Beer Advertisement”
  • 5. “Hector” – The Village Callers
  • 6. “Son of a Lovin’ Man” – Buchanan Brothers
  • 7. “Paxton Quigley’s Had the Course” (from the MGM film Three in the Attic) – Chad & Jeremy
  • 8. “Tanya Tanning Butter Advertisement”
  • 9. “Good Thing” – Paul Revere & The Raiders
  • 10. “Hungry” – Paul Revere & the Raiders
  • 11. “Choo Choo Train” – The Box Tops
  • 12. “Jenny Take a Ride” – Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels (Trivia: this was the title track for Hell Ride, first featured in 1970 biker film C.C. & Company)
  • 13. “Kentucky Woman” – Deep Purple
  • 14. “The Circle Game” – Buffy Sainte-Marie (Trivia: originally featured in the film The Strawberry Statement)
  • Boss Radio feat. The Real Don Steele:
  • 15. “Mrs. Robinson” – Simon & Garfunkel (Trivia: this was the title song from The Graduate)
  • 16. “Numero Uno Advertisement”
  • 17. “Bring a Little Lovin'” – Los Bravos
  • 18. “Suddenly / Heaven Sent Advertisement”
  • 19. “Vagabond High School Reunion”
  • 20. “KHJ Los Angeles Weather Report”
  • 21. “The Illustrated Man Advertisement / Ready For Action”
  • 22. “Hey Little Girl” – Dee Clark
  • 23. “Summer Blonde Advertisement”
  • 24. “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show” – Neil Diamond
  • 25. “Don’t Chase Me Around” (from the MGM film GAS-S-S-S) – Robert Corff
  • 26. “Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon” – Paul Revere & the Raiders (feat. Mark Lindsay)
  • 27. “California Dreamin'” – Jose Feliciano
  • 28. “Dinamite Jim (English Version)” – I Cantori Moderni di Alessandroni (Trivia: from the soundtrack of Dinamite Jim)
  • 29. “You Keep Me Hangin’ On (Quentin Tarantino Edit)” – Vanilla Fudge
  • 30. “Miss Lily Langtry” (cue from The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean) – Maurice Jarre
  • 31. “KHJ Batman Promotion”

Additional Music not featured on the Soundtrack album

Music listed in the end credits. This is not 100% confirmed at this point

• Victorville Blues: Harley Hatcher
  • Never Say Never To Always: The Manson Family (sung by Manson kids in film)
  • Ready For Action: Syd Dale
  • Dalton Gang Ride Entrance: Sahn Berti, Tom Slocum (from the film Cattle Annie & Little Britches)
  • MacArthur Park: Jimmy Webb (heard in TV show/sung by Robert Goulet)
  • Cooler (from The Great Escape😞 Elmer Bernstein
  • Freya Bangs & various cues from The Wrecking Crew: Hugo Montenegro
  • Mexico Western: Francesco DeMasi (from the film Any Gun Can Play)
  • Out of Time: The Rolling Stones
  • Snoopy Vs The Red Baron: The Royal Guardsmen (Rick listens/sings this in his pool near end of film)
  • The Letter: Joe Cocker (plays while Cliff is driving)
  • Funky Fanfare: Keith Mansfield (heard in Van Nuys Drive-In scene)
  • Summertime: Billy Stewart
  • Sweet Blindness: The 5th Dimension
  • Straight Shooter: The Mamas and the Papas
  • Safe in My Garden: The Mamas & Papas
  • Twelve Thirty: The Mamas & Papas (Jay Sebring puts on this record on)
  • Theme from The FBI
  • Ecce Homo (from the film Sartana Does Not Forgive😞 Francesco DiMasi
  • Apocalypse Joe Seq. 1: Bruno Nicolai
  • Kicks: Paul Revere & The Raiders
  • Can't Turn You Loose: Wayne Cochran (heard in footage from the film C C & Company)
  • The House That Jack Built: Aretha Franklin
  • Theme from It's Happening: Paul Revere & The Raiders
  • The Killing (from the film Torn Curtain😞 Bernard Herrmann
  • Radiogram (from the film Torn Curtain): Bernard Herrmann
  • Know Yourself (from the film Three in the Attic😞 Chad & Jeremy
  • Time For Livin: The Association
  • The Green Door: Jim Lowe (sung by Rick Dalton)
  • Soul Serenade: Willie Mitchell

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting our Halloween on at the Manson Family Rock in Spahn Ranch. Charlie's Rock has been destroyed, but some of it still remains. The culvert that Shorty Shea was killed at and buried near is on up the road a little way form here, too. Spahn Ranch's buildings are completely gone.3ca761ead0efb3adeb342fc697ce9039.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...