Ditching the CD collection?

Buzzrock

I’m moving in a couple of weeks and in the clean up process I came across about 300 CDs in boxes in a closet. I ripped them all to Amazon Music years ago. Any reason to hang on to them? I’ll pluck out a couple for sentimental reasons but I figure I’ll just sell/donate the rest. I haven’t listened to a CD in years.

Ripped my collection years ago. Sold most of them to one of those used cd places that was still around. I kept some of them in a box though. Rare imports, singles, sentimental albums, etc. If nothing else will make for a fun discussion when my kids get older.
Now getting rid of all my cassettes and mix tapes years ago, that’s one I regret.

I have boxes of CDs in the garage that my wife is bugging me to do something about. She wants to put them out on the curb with bulk trash. I think that's silly. There are some I want to keep for certain. But the idea of taking the entire box up to Half Price for $0.10/per seems like an utter waste of time as well. Will they go through the box and open each one up to inspect for scratches or do they just count and give you a number based on how many are there?

I’m moving in a couple of weeks and in the clean up process I came across about 300 CDs in boxes in a closet. I ripped them all to Amazon Music years ago. Any reason to hang on to them? I’ll pluck out a couple for sentimental reasons but I figure I’ll just sell/donate the rest. I haven’t listened to a CD in years.

Amazon Music shutting down. Don’t know if they allows users to still have what they already uploaded.

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Amazon Music shutting down. Don’t know if they allows users to still have what they already uploaded.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm not sure what the deal is because all my imported songs are still there (almost 6,000 of them) even though they said that service was shutting down last April. I definitely need to get the scoop before I ditch all the discs.

Man I would hate to have to rip all of those again.

20 hours ago, Deej said:

To think all those CD's from Columbia House I never paid for would be worth nothing, some day. 

memories light the corners of my mind..analog version of napster.  address, apartment #151, #152, #153, #154

• Like 1

Still have all mine, but only as backup in case my digital collection were somehow lost (it's backed up in two places so there's practically no chance the collection would ever be fully "lost"). I keep them just because I'm already keeping the liner notes, in a big binder. Might as well leave the discs in there with em. 

On March 20, 2019 at 11:07 AM, Buzzrock said:

You had 300 CDs in your collection, ripped them to mp3, and are fine with listening to them in that format.

I can't help but have a suspicion that your taste in music sucks. 

My downstairs is filled with about 6,000 CDs and 5,000 LPs. I will NEVER part with them. All of the CDs are in my digital library, which is now over 235,000 songs. I am also (slowly) ripping the obscure vinyl to digital, but it takes forever because I am such an anal-retentive dork and I de-click that shit one pop at a  time. The upside is that the vinyl rips usually sound better than CD releases.

HELP ME. I NEED A MUSICAL INTERVENTION.

My downstairs is filled with about 6,000 CDs and 5,000 LPs. I will NEVER part with them. All of the CDs are in my digital library, which is now over 235,000 songs. I am also (slowly) ripping the obscure vinyl to digital, but it takes forever because I am such an anal-retentive dork and I de-click that shit one pop at a  time. The upside is that the vinyl rips usually sound better than CD releases.
HELP ME. I NEED A MUSICAL INTERVENTION.

Wow. This is incredible.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You had 300 CDs in your collection, ripped them to mp3, and are fine with listening to them in that format.

I can't help but have a suspicion that your taste in music sucks. 

It was a little more complicated than that but hey fuck you too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It was a little more complicated than that but hey fuck you too.

I should have phrased that differently. Your taste in music isn't necessarily in question. I should've questioned your love of music. I don't understand how anyone can choose to listen to lower quality audio for the sake of convenience unless the listening experience isn't all that important to them. 

Is it fair to assume that music plays a role as a soundtrack in your life, something in the background, rather than as an activity in and of itself? Do you ever just sit and listen to a recording with full attention as if you were watching a movie? I can't imagine why anyone would choose lo-fi unless they weren't paying that close attention in the first place. 

On 3/20/2019 at 8:20 PM, Deej said:

Just the cloud storage, right?

Ripped all 2500 discs to amazon last year while I still could. I still have access to all of the files. Here's the problem: sound quality blows compared to the actual discs, and that's using flac files.

Edited by zlavydra

I should have phrased that differently. Your taste in music isn't necessarily in question. I should've questioned your love of music. I don't understand how anyone can choose to listen to lower quality audio for the sake of convenience unless the listening experience isn't all that important to them. 
Is it fair to assume that music plays a role as a soundtrack in your life, something in the background, rather than as an activity in and of itself? Do you ever just sit and listen to a recording with full attention as if you were watching a movie? I can't imagine why anyone would choose lo-fi unless they weren't paying that close attention in the first place. 

I can’t tell the difference between 320 kbps and CD audio.

Confirmation bias is a thing.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Just because you have a tin ear doesn't mean that everyone else does. Sorry to hear about your disability. But you're right, there's no reason to listen to CDs over mp3s if you can't tell the difference. 

Funny - I was cleaning out storage since the recent move this weekend and I just found a box with a set of 8 case logic binders in it.  Each one has about with 250+ CDs in it.  Roughly 2000 CDs.  Some music, but mostly books on tape that I ripped to MP3 to play on my old Rio MP3 CD player I used in my car circa 1997-2000. 

Some great books here - Pamela Anderson's autobigraphy, Pauly Shore's memoirs, Dennis Rodman's fiction works, on and on.  Can't dump those.

Not going to spend the hours it would take to "rip" these back to a HDD, but I'd gladly pay someone a couple hundred to do that for me.

• Like 1

I've done blind A/B testing and reliably picked out the CD over mp3.  I don't recall the bit rate of the mp3, though.  The test wasn't double blind, either, meaning the guy administering the test knew what was being played.  In theory that could corrupt the results, but it wasn't like I was staring at him to get clues.

I will say that the quality of the digital file can be completely obscured by the quality of the playback chain, which makes complete sense.  If you're listening on a shitty system, then yeah, it isn't gonna matter much.

Yeah a buddy at work who's a big music guy, has a band, yadda yadda has been talking to me about DACs. It sounds like the DAC can make as big a difference as anything and can blur the lines between different bitrates even more. So then the question becomes which DAC to use: 320 mbps is only available on the Spotify desktop client, so maybe some sort of Raspberry Pi setup that can be controlled from a smartphone? I don't know, I haven't really dug into it yet.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:50 PM, Buzzrock said:

Because you’ve never listened to music on a high resolution system.  It’s a shame that we have generations now that think that MP3 is hi-fi.