Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

It's Idiot World. He won't survive being a gay candidate with the name Buttigieg.

I'll hear him out and give him my vote if I favor him, but he will likely go the way of most of the candidates I favor early in the campaign.

He's young. Maybe in a few decades Idiot World will be diminishing (not a good bet), and he'll get a fair shot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's Idiot World. He won't survive being a gay candidate with the name Buttigieg.

I'll hear him out and give him my vote if I favor him, but he will likely go the way of most of the candidates I favor early in the campaign.

He's young. Maybe in a few decades Idiot World will be diminishing (not a good bet), and he'll get a fair shot.

This unfortunately is the most probable outcome.  2024 or 2028 may be more his time.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I’d argue he could win more convincingly vs. Trump than any other candidate.

I feel like the Dems may be making a mistake assuming they'll be running against Trump. Warren has real ideas that will survive a Trump disappearance (hopefully to the bottom of the sea). I don't follow closely, but I hope the other candidates aren't relying too much on simply running against the Trump disaster.

Using Trump as the standard to beat is setting the bar way too low.

I don't like discussing the horse race aspect of elections. My predictions are awful, so I refrain from making them. I'll just hope we end up with somebody good.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I’d argue he could win more convincingly vs. Trump than any other candidate.

The boomers are turned off by him because of the youth, which isn't a surprise because they're mostly morons.

Even my mom, who is the most open minded liberal boomer, thinks he's too young.  She'd vote for him over Trump in a heartbeat but there's a feeling among the boomers with Buttigieg that signifies their time on earth is almost over. 

Buttigieg makes them feel really old and they don't like it. 

Morons.

Mayor Pete is great and I’m glad he’s in the race. My dream scenario would be a Beto/Kamala ticket with Pete getting a high ranking position in the administration to launch his campaign with more name recognition and experience. If it looks like now is his time then I will happily support him.

16 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The most impressive candidate in the field, IMO.  Unfortunately the name recognition just isn't there yet.  He'll need some sort of a "Beto NFL kneeling speech" moment to stand any sort of a chance. 

I agree. He's been my favorite for awhile, but not sure he can make it through. With that said, we've already seen a spike in interest in just the last 2-3 weeks. If this momentum continues, then maybe he makes it through the first round of candidate culling.

I don’t know much about him.  The video indicates he seems like someone I would support.  Although being gay should have nothing to do with an election unfortunately it does and I think he will have a hard time because of that.  To be honest that says an awful lot about what’s wrong with our country today.

• Like 1

His appeal could very well grow beyond expectations. 

Pete has now received enough donations to qualify for inclusion in the first D presidential debate, I believe.  At the very least, I expect he will bring a standard for public discourse that should elevate all candidates involved.  This is important.  He strikes me as someone who can have a real neutralizing effect on bullshittery and negative tactics that can befall a group of candidates taken together.

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The boomers are turned off by him because of the youth, which isn't a surprise because they're mostly morons.

Even my mom, who is the most open minded liberal boomer, thinks he's too young.  She'd vote for him over Trump in a heartbeat but there's a feeling among the boomers with Buttigieg that signifies their time on earth is almost over. 

Morons.

Fuck you.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Look, I fully I understand the cynicism. But Pete has shown the ability to dodge a lot of the typical obstacles. 

When you speak with conviction and authenticity, people let their guard down. I fully believe being gay will not be an issue for him at all. Sure there will be some evangelicals that stay away, but their votes are locked up to Trump anyways.

Buttigieg would pull in a significant amount of Trump supporters. A middle class Midwestern war veteran that can reach them without pandering. His Democratic values are strong. He’s going to win. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Morons.

This isn’t true. Older generations that have listened to Pete absolutely love him. His bigger issue will actually be making sure to get the younger vote.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Look, I fully I understand the cynicism. But Pete has shown the ability to dodge a lot of the typical obstacles. 

When you speak with conviction and authenticity, people let their guard down. I fully believe being gay will not be an issue for him at all. Sure there will be some evangelicals that stay away, but their votes are locked up to Trump anyways.

Buttigieg would pull in a significant amount of Trump supporters. A middle class Midwestern war veteran that can reach them without pandering. His Democratic values are strong. He’s going to win. 

I'm cynical about the electorate. I don't understand how anyone could feel otherwise considering the state of the republic today.

Buttigieg is catching a lot of praise from some respectable posters around here. You have my attention. If he's the best candidate, he'll have my vote whether I think he'll win or not. 

I appreciate your opinion on the man.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The most impressive candidate in the field, IMO.  Unfortunately the name recognition just isn't there yet.  He'll need some sort of a "Beto NFL kneeling speech" moment to stand any sort of a chance. 

You're absolutely right that name recognition is the obstacle right now. He's had quite a few "mini-moments" lately...the CNN town hall, his letter to the South Bend Muslim community, and the story of him learning Norwegian just to read more books. 

He's gone from 160k Twitter followers on March 10th to 366k followers as we speak. The social media circle is still insulated, but his TV appearances will reach the people he needs soon enough. 

Also I apologize in advance for how much I will be posting on this thread. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Not all boomers are idiots, some I assume are very good people but the current president being a boomer doesn’t really help the stereotype.

My response was largely hyperbolic and in jest.

That said, I don't like the generational sniping coming from any of the generations. They're too general and reflect another way we like to divide ourselves into counter-productive in-groups. I never feel defined by my generation, my age, or my race.

I grew up a Texas suburban boy who graduated from UT. I'm guessing the vast majority of posters in any age group share that with me. From that group I bet you get Johnny Sack, Brisket, Chooky, Swam, and Mr. Phlegm. 

I don't think the generational stuff tells you much. Even if olds are the FOX viewers who vote for Trump, there are plenty of olds who hate Trump. We're better off dividing with regard to shared opinions and goals rather than facile labels like Boomers and Gen-X or even Libs and Conservatives which have become equally vague.

• Like 2

Pete is far and away the most impressive candidate in the field.  i've donated to him twice so far.  i do hope he gets traction nationwide, although  i'm pessimistic for some of the reasons already articulated above.    i'm still of the opinion trump gets re-elected no matter who the opponent is and no matter what happens between now and the election. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

i'm still of the opinion trump gets re-elected no matter who the opponent is and no matter what happens between now and the election. 

I'm the exact opposite. I think the Democrats could nominate a potato and Donald Trump would lose and lose bigly.

Edited by David Dennison

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My response was largely hyperbolic and in jest.

That said, I don't like the generational sniping coming from any of the generations. They're too general and reflect another way we like to divide ourselves into counter-productive in-groups. I never feel defined by my generation, my age, or my race.

I grew up a Texas suburban boy who graduated from UT. I'm guessing the vast majority of posters in any age group share that with me. From that group I bet you get Johnny Sack, Brisket, Chooky, Swam, and Mr. Phlegm. 

I don't think the generational stuff tells you much. Even if olds are the FOX viewers who vote for Trump, there are plenty of olds who hate Trump. We're better off dividing with regard to shared opinions and goals rather than facile labels like Boomers and Gen-X or even Libs and Conservatives which have become equally vague.

I hear you and that makes perfect sense but at the same time the angst towards the older generations isn’t completely unfounded.  The baby boomers have easily been the most politically and economically influential cross-section of the population.  Political campaigns/businesses have targeted and exploited them the most over my lifetime.  

The consequences of their decisions usually affect the entire population and I can’t honestly say they’ve been responsible citizens when it comes to ensuring opportunity and prosperity for subsequent generations.

The “fuck you I got mine” ideology seems to be coming from a certain demographic and it’s not the youth.   It’s only natural the younger generation tries to hold them accountable and do better.

However, the younger generations should focus improving the situation instead of attacking the boomers with prejudice.

6 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Pete is far and away the most impressive candidate in the field.  i've donated to him twice so far.  i do hope he gets traction nationwide, although  i'm pessimistic for some of the reasons already articulated above.    i'm still of the opinion trump gets re-elected no matter who the opponent is and no matter what happens between now and the election. 

i think the Russians will have had 4 more years to practice election hacking. Maybe not in 2020, but we're getting close to them being able to significantly disrupt elections at the polling place. That could be either manipulating registration information or directly changing votes. 

You put that on top of the 40% and the other election meddling (like social media), and he could very well be reelected.

Edited by retread

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

He's not a Trump Ivy Leaguer. He's a went to an Ivy for an education Ivy Leaguer. There is a difference. 

True, but those people need to be culled out of our political hierarchy until they no longer so thoroughly dominate the highest levels of government. The Supreme Court and presidency are embarrassing.

I've been peripherally aware of Pete, but the more that I read about him and hear him speak, the more I like him.  What a breath or fresh air to have someone so intellectually curious and thoughtful in politics. 

I might have to throw a few frog pelts his direction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, retread said:

i think the Russians will have had 4 more years to practice election hacking. Maybe not in 2020, but we're getting close to them being able to significantly disrupt elections at the polling place. That could be either manipulating registration information or directly changing votes. 

You put that on top of the 40% and the other election meddling (like social media), and he could very well be reelected.

I think the Russians are going to fly under the radar when it comes to election hacking and put more resources into the troll/bot factories to keep pushing on the divisions and degrading our public’s faith in our institutions.  Other countries are going to do this more too. They’ve been a big part of the white nationalist online movement and will likely keep pushing there.  They get more bang for their buck with the shadow campaigns in cyberspace.  

The GRU/SVR gets their shit put on blast when they start overtly hacking and that’s not the kind of attention they want. 

People still have no idea how massive the 2016 Russian attack was because our leaders have failed to publicly address it in a bipartisan way.  I don’t expect the Kremlin attempting anything like that again in my lifetime but Putin is unpredictability brazen so anything is possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

People get offended by the strangest and most innocuous BS.  Who has time to be outraged about stuff like that?

People who watch Fox News all day.  Time is all they got.   

Edited by ChiTownDoc