Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

12 minutes ago, retread said:

i think the Russians will have had 4 more years to practice election hacking. Maybe not in 2020, but we're getting close to them being able to significantly disrupt elections at the polling place. That could be either manipulating registration information or directly changing votes. 

You lop that on top of the 40% and the other election meddling (like social media), and he could very well be reelected.

yep.  and also keep in mind, that the 40% you reference (approval/support that is not going anywhere) does not include those who publicly say they don't support Trump because they know their complicity in and continued support of corruption, crime, wholly incompetent leadership, and treason is socially unacceptable) but will vote for Trump no matter fucking what because they are complete and utter party over country hacks (think, the Slorches of the world).   that is a significant number of people.  

that said, i will still keep supporting, voting, donating, and spreading the word -  its been a long time since i've been as impressed by a politician as i have been about Pete so far.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

that said, i will still keep supporting, voting, donating, and spreading the word -  its been a long time since i've been as impressed by a politician as i have been about Pete so far.  

iirc, Bill Clinton pretty much came out of nowhere in the 92 election, so Pete could make it happen. Will be fascinating to watch.

Edited by retread

Pete's comment was, unsurprisingly, very thoughtful.  It was made in the context of an Esquire interview where he explained that the focus of any campaign should not be exclusively on the candidate or the opposition; it should be on making life better for everyday Americans.  Obviously, that is too much nuance for some of these idiots to understand. 

Pete seems like the most intelligent candidate.  I will probably vote for him and be disappointed when he loses.  Hopefully the nominee has the good sense to put this guy in a high-profile national position.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

People who still don't realize that Hillary Clinton was terrible at running for president. She was the anti-Bill.

This.  And the dominant theme -- the button, as Pete literally described it, because that was the predominant campaign button -- was "I'm with her."  Which was shitty for several reasons, none of which have anything to do with her being a woman.  He correctly made the point that making it about the person, as opposed to what that person has to offer to the electorate, is a wrong-headed approach.  We need FEWER cults of personality, not more of them.

He is absolutely the president we need....but no way do we get him, because we don't deserve a thoughtful, well-read, educated, candidate who deliberates on issues and takes into account evidence and reason.  We deserve Trump 2: Idiot Boogaloo.  And that's what we'll get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

Buttigieg is a polyglot. He taught himself how to speak Norwegian and is also conversational in Spanish, Italian, Maltese, Arabic, Dari, and French.[50][51]

*never played basketball for UT 

I doubt that he "taught himself" Maltese.  I would bet that his father taught him the language. 

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I doubt that he "taught himself" Maltese.  I would bet that his father taught him the language. 

i had to look up Dari.. Since he served in Afghanistan, it made more sense 

Darī (Dari: دری [daˈɾiː]) or Dari Persian (فارسی دری Fārsī-ye Darī [fɒːɾsije daˈɾiː]) or synonymously Farsi (فارسی Fārsī [fɒːɾsiː]) is a variation of the Persian language spoken in Afghanistan.[9][10] Dari is the term officially recognized and promoted since 1964 by the Afghan government for the Persian language,[11][9] hence, it is also known as Afghan Persian in many Western sources.[2][1

He is pretty much my ideal Presidential candidate.  Well-read, well spoken and a natural politician who actually wants to help people.  He needs to be someone's VP or in the Senate if he can't win this go around.  He can be what Clinton should have been if he could have kept his dick in his pants.  He gives off a strong Roosevelt vibe.  I know that's ridiculous praise, but you can't help but think that when you read an interview or hear him speak.

Edited by kevwun

6 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

So where can I read about his policy positions and the work he's done as mayor?  So far all I've seen is information on his background and the minimal information available on wikipedia.  

He is still in exploratory committee phase. I'm guessing he will flesh out his website after he formally announces his candidacy. 

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The “fuck you I got mine” ideology seems to be coming from a certain demographic and it’s not the youth.   It’s only natural the younger generation tries to hold them accountable and do better.

Too simplistic. Would you say the environmentalist movement of the boomers was fuck you, I've got mine? The white boomers who joined the civil rights movement? The Peace Corps? Feminist men?

Those people are as much as part of the boomers as the yuppies, Trump voters, and reds.

Any generation can look at another, choose something they want to prove and then find the appropriate examples while ignoring the whole.

The Greatest Generation was shipping us off to Viet Nam, raping Latin America, and opening fire on peace protesters. Do we ignore the Kennedy-Johnson initiatives for minorities, the starving, and others blocked from opportunity?

Millennials are rapped for entitlement and the need for praise. My observation is that their extraordinary exposure to media barrage has made many of them bullshit proof. I don't like seeing Austin change from my youth, but the Millennials and Gen X and whoever are creating a pretty interesting replacement.

My starting point with all people is characterized by Sergeant Hartman's observation about race:

c0ee68ed59b1fc32a5f9f3c62eb31ecf--boot-c

• Like 1

Haha, the Hillary Clinton diehards are fucking furious with Buttigieg. Over this. 

So much talk about the Bernie Bros, but what about the Clinton faction. Jesus Christ. Who are they planning on backing right now, Beto? Kamala? 

EDIT: Oh. Probably Biden.

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

So much talk about the Bernie Bros, but what about the Clinton faction

Honestly you should embrace this with open arms.  It means Buttigieg isn’t being ignored and gives all of us a chance to see how he responds to bullshit criticism.  

Ive long been waiting for Mayor Pete to get punched just to see how he reacts.

There was some grumbling last week about Pete “jumping the line” in regards to female candidates. I posted about it in the general 2020 thread.

When I traced back to the profiles of the people grumbling, they mostly had tweets/comments supporting Klobuchar and Gillibrand.

I would bet these comments today are from the same bunch.

When people have all their comments and history open to see it’s easy to figure out their angle.

Don’t just take the one tweet and make a judgment, click on the profile and scroll down and do some research. These outrage pushers are usually awfully transparent and easy to figure out.

• Like 1

Like, the lady who tweeted that Pete will never get her vote?

She’s very pro Abrams and Klobuchar and Gillibrand and Warren. She despises Bernie. The only male politician she has any time for is Gillium.

cbb6e8560e2f23b9e76bfcb253a5d8f5.jpg

It’s not a mystery to figure her out. She will only tolerate a female candidate. Period.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think Pete's strategy to combat the dotard's antics is the best so far.  You acknowledge him and how petty he is, maybe throw a quick and rational barb, but then PIVOT back to the real issues.

I still love Elizabeth Warren’s “Trump might not even be a free person by 2020”. 

One of the best campaign troll quotes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think Pete's strategy to combat the dotard's antics is the best so far.  You acknowledge him and how petty he is, maybe throw a quick and rational barb, but then PIVOT back to the real issues.

This.  I'm starting to think it's the right balance.

You don't want to play the Trump game, because you just get muddy and the pig likes it.

But I have had my doubts about Beto's "we just need to be kind and listen" message, too -- it doesn't deal with the problem directly at all.

Pete may be striking a balance - "look, what that other guy over there says and does is wrong for America, and sets a bad tone.  So let's not do that.  Instead, let's talk about the real respect that our veterans should get - we should keep our promises and have a functioning VA."  Don't give the DOTARD undue attention or oxygen.  Just acknowledge that he's a low-rent stupid ass and move on to the adult conversation.

• Like 3