Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

Pete just bring on one of those others as your VP candidate...problem solved.  I know it pisses people off that it's that easy - but it really is.  Bring on anyone with some minority support and then pit that combo ticket vs Trump.  It will be a fucking cake walk. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If the nominee is white, do you think their running mate will be white?

You can have a diverse set of people around you without it being mere tokenism.

Work with me here, David, but it could be based on shared beliefs, values, goals, drives, and experiences.

giphy.gif

Just now, David Dennison said:

You didn't answer the question.

I have no idea who is going to choose whom as VP I fall asleep anytime those discussions come up. I don't think it matters. I don't think a black VP is going to motivate blacks who weren't interested in voting initially. I don't think VPs matter.

I hope Bernie chooses Nina because she rules.

I don't know who Warren would choose, but she'll probably try to too-clever-by-half strategy like Hillary picking me llamo Tim Kaine.

Odds are good it's a non-white person. Odds are also good it'll be a lady.

yeah the basis for that endorsement sounds real legit considering all of the shit Biden has done in his career to make the lives of black people worse in this country.  Motherfucker has probably done more substantive harm to blacks than anyone running, including Trump.  

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

yeah the basis for that endorsement sounds real legit considering all of the shit Biden has done in his career to make the lives of black people worse in this country.  Motherfucker has probably done more substantive harm to blacks than anyone running, including Trump.  

Are you calling Black people stupid?

On 11/21/2019 at 9:47 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Ringing endorsement right here

Pete is being evasive on answering direct yes or no questions.  I’m sure the media will keep pressing him on this. 

Really great job...

On 11/21/2019 at 10:01 AM, Fozzz said:

He is centering the criterion of whether someone should be appointed to a particular position on whether that person is qualified and would do a good job.  Is that not eminently reasonable?

You made me rep fozz.  I’ll go take a shower now.  

• Like 1

Yes... but also no.

The problem is that he's not actually identifying the problem and he's putting the blame on the community. He's perpetuating the myth of the meritocracy and perpetuating the idea that all blacks need to do is pull up their pants and stop talking like rappers and they'll succeed.

In some very narrow and immediate sense, I guess, but the chips are heavily stacked against those communities and it's not just a matter of having good examples. If we're trying to one-on-one coach a young man into turning his life around, sure let's talk about it in a way where his agency is central, but if I'm a policy-maker my focus will be on the actual structures of power that both got us here and keep us here. Because it's not the community's fault.

It's not great.

Full context...

First of all, the Republican candidate gets it. The skills gap is a myth and the idea of pre-training your workforce in school is stupid. You train your employees for the job and you hire people with some demonstrated aptitude for learning in general. Fantastic answer.

Pete's answer (starts around 20:30) sucks ass. He says something about how the need to train kids for work starts before high school then gives the example of the complexity of work in a sheet metal factory. Confusing. Talks about how sheet metal work isn't just banging around with mallets which does nothing but allow him to demonstrate his own lack of knowledge and experience, because factory work has been tolerance-tight and complex for a century. But Pete's like 30 here or something, so what the hell does he know about anything?

Points out that there is a disconnect between unemployed workers and bosses who say they can't find workers. Says a mayor can "set the table" (reuses the metaphor). Says we need to bring the employers in to tell the education leadership how to teach the kids, which is fucking idiotic.

The libertarian, who sounds like an idiot (which I guess is redundant for "libertarian"), really likes that idea.

The clip of Pete saying that the poors and blacks don't have good examples of success starts ~27:30. Pete is agreeing (again) with the libertarian who had just gone on some kind of talk about how the older generations need to go mentor the young and not let them just throw their bag in the corner and play video games.

Fairly banal, shitty takes from Pete.

I'm not going to watch the whole thing, but in my mind Pete and the libertarian just keep agreeing on everything and the Republican gives up and leaves.

• Like 1

• Democratic presidential contender Pete Buttigieg has hired a former Goldman Sachs vice president and Google executive to run his policy shop, his campaign announced Thursday.
  • Sonal Shah, now executive director of the Beeck Center for Social Impact and Innovation at Georgetown University, will be the campaign's national policy director.
  • Shah worked at Goldman Sachs from 2004 to 2007 as a vice president, according to her LinkedIn page. She then worked for Google as its head of global development initiatives from 2007 to 2009.

seriously for a minute i thought i was taking crazy pills. 

though i guess if we’re looking at her career from 2004-2007 why not look at articles from 5 months ago?

that’s just lazy trolling (from tweet not from hugo).

Edited by henrygandorf
attribution

On 11/24/2019 at 3:57 PM, Pancho said:

This is *checks notes* not good

When I say this response made my morning......

"Seven thousand three hundred twenty-two dollars.

I hid it in a white Piggly Wiggly bag in the back of the dishwasher. Every single time I returned to that tiny apartment, I opened up that Navajo-white Kenmore dishwasher and made sure it was there. It was not a gift. It was not a reward. It wasn’t even mine.

And it still wasn’t enough.

I am from what most people would call “the hood.” The bad section of town. You know—where black people live. During the crack revolution of the late ’80s, to get to school every day, I would give a friendly nod as I walked past the early-rising dope boys. I meandered through the projects and—if it had recently rained—I waited for someone to help me put a 10-foot long wooden plank across the ditch that separated the black part of town from the bucolic neighborhood where the only high school in town was located. If no one was there, or if a prankster had hidden the makeshift bridge, then I had to either leap across or walk the long way around, adding an extra 15 minutes to my morning walk. Our neighborhood had no bus, so either you walked that balance beam behind the projects, took the 30-minute stroll or you said: “fuck it.”

I never said fuck it.

But if I did, it wouldn’t have been because of a lack of role models. If I had chosen to keep my mama’s lights on instead of making that daily trek, my decision wouldn’t have been based on a tropological dearth of “motivation” or communal ambivalence. As I grow older, I realize that I was not gifted, talented or even diligent.

I’m just a lucky motherfucker.

Presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg is a lucky motherfucker, too.

He attended one of the best private schools in the country that was quite literally on the campus of one of the best colleges in the country, Notre Dame University, where his father worked as a professor for 29 years. His mother taught at an even better, more elite school. And if you ask how he got into Harvard or became a Rhodes Scholar, Mayor Pete would probably insist that it had nothing to do with whiteness. He would likely tell you that he valued education and had great role models, both of which are probably true. There is no question that he is intelligent, hard-working and well-educated.

But he didn’t have to jump a ditch.

So, when a clip surfaced of Buttigieg explaining why negro kids fail at school so often, his answer made perfect sense.

Kids need to see evidence that education is going to work for them,” Buttigieg explained whitely, when he was running for mayor in 2011. You’re motivated because you believe that at the end of your education, there is a reward; there’s a stable life; there’s a job. And there are a lot of kids—especially [in] the lower-income, minority neighborhoods, who literally just haven’t seen it work. There isn’t someone who they know personally who testifies to the value of education.”

I want to be clear: Pete Buttigieg is a lying motherfucker.

This is not a misunderstanding. This is not a misstatement. Pete Buttigieg went to the best educational institutions America has to offer and he—more than anyone on the goddamned planet—knows that everything he just said is a baldfaced lie.

Majority-minority schools receive $23 billion less in funding than majority-white schools, according to a recent study by EdBuild. Black students in Indiana, the state where Buttigieg serves as mayor, and across the country, are disciplined more harshly than white students. But even though Buttigieg has never attended a school with more than 10 percent black students, he thinks he knows what’s stopping black kids from achieving their educational dreams.

Apparently, it’s not the fact that the unemployment rate for black college graduates is twice as high as the unemployment rate for white grads. Black college graduates are paid 80 cents for every dollar a white person with the same education earns. White people leave college with lower debt and higher earnings. White kids get more resources, more advanced classes and have access to more technology. But Pete says it could all be solved with a vision-board.

Mayor Pete’s bullshittery is not just wrong, it is proof.

It proves men like him are more willing to perpetuate the fantastic narrative of negro neighborhoods needing more role models and briefcase-carriers than make the people in power stare into the sun and see the blinding light of racism. Get-along moderates would rather make shit up out of whole cloth than wade into the waters of reality. Pete Buttigieg doesn’t want to change anything. He just wants to be something.

This is not just a lie of omission, it is a dangerous precedent. This is why institutional inequality persists. Not because of white hoods and racial slurs. It is because this insidious double-talk erases the problem by camouflaging it. Because it is painted as a problem of black lethargy and not white apathy. Pete Buttigieg is standing over a dying man, holding the oxygen machine in his hand and telling everyone:

“Nah, he doesn’t need CPR. He’s just holding his breath.”

Negligent homicide is still homicide.

Occasionally someone would invariably fall in the ditch. It wasn’t because they didn’t see someone cross successfully, it was because the banks of that ditch was slippery and muddy when it rained. To this day, no one has ever built a bridge over that ditch. But over the years, so many people have walked that same path, that the banks eventually wore down and became crossable.

No one ever gave a fuck.

But motherfuckers never stopped jumping.

In the summer of 1992, for weeks, those same D-boys I walked past every day collected all of the ones (and a few five-dollar bills) from guys on the block and handed it to me when I left for college. It was seven thousand three hundred twenty-two dollars.

I didn’t have a driver’s license and my mother is legally blind, so they hired someone to drive me to college. None of my college friends ever knew that I had a hidden treasure in my dishwasher but a few of them noticed that it seemed like I always had a wad of cash. When I arrived to campus in a chauffeured, 1965 drop-top Cadillac (white, with hydraulics and gold specks), a couple even said:

“Damn, you’re lucky.”

They were right."

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

"Pete Buttigieg is a Lying MF" trending at the moment. 

That's probably not good, huh?

[edit]

In that trend is this moment that I thought was hilarious.

White people excitedly cheering that someone would just categorically say "no" to the prisoner franchise while fully knowing how racist our criminal justice system is and one black person looking around to see if anyone else sees how cruel that is.

He sucks.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

I actually don't see a problem starting with the premise that you actually want to get to a position where convicts shouldn't be allowed to vote (for some consistent message that while you are incarcerated, you truly are separated from society). 

But you have to lead that with the idea that you have to pull out every stop to get your society to that laboratory condition exists where incarceration is color blind and race blind.   We are so far from that that the only ethical approach is to allow such voting or propose radical changes to the criminal justice system. 

The justification for supporting Mayor Pete is purely that he is going to show good judgment and that we need youth and someone with a decent resume to consider the evidence and make good decisions.  This isn't it.  The "moderates" need to consider the alternatives.