Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

I'm not much of a Pete fan but damn if he's not a helluva surrogate for Biden right now. His ability to think on his feet, recall facts and info, and communicate them to a hostile interviewer/audience is pretty astounding. I can't imagine him ever not struggling with minorities in a general election, but he's pitch perfect for the Fox News audience.

He's absolutely got a cabinet position in a Biden administration but I wonder where he'd be best. Secretary of State seems like the obvious choice I guess but he's pretty green for that. I feel like HUD is where you put someone with his level of experience but he's got some baggage re: housing in South Bend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

what i had heard way back when was a potential deputy chief of staff, deal-maker, and hatchet man. this works for me. a behind-the-scenes role, but valuable. he doesn’t need something ceremonial, he needs to know how shit works in dc and get better at it. 

to further this point, and yes, i'm going to overlap this with my sorkin-obsession, but the discussion i heard was comparing his potential position to the michael j fox character in american president (and to a lesser extent, the bradley whitford character in west wing) which was all loosely based on the george stephanopoulus role in the clinton white house.  the young, smart hotshot who worked the vote, and showed up like a vindictive asshole to meet with people when things weren't getting done.  i have no idea what a biden cabinet or administration looks like, but tell me that's not a perfect job for pete. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Mayor Pete speaking tonight "at" UT.  Actually, it's a webcast for the 50th Anniversary of the LBJ School, but hey---he's technically speaking at our alma mater:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-lbj-school-50th-anniversary-forum-ii-defining-a-new-destiny-tickets-119693403191

It's a fascinating lineup if you have some time tonight after the kids go to bed.  I'm looking forward to Mayor Pete as he's been on a terror lately.  He'll be on a 2-person panel with Stacey Abrams on voting rights/suppression.  Kind of a hot topic and these are two folks well qualified to speak on it.  Other leaders like Jamie Dimon and Bill McRaven will be speaking on what Covid-19 means in other facets of our life, and to piss off Trumpers---Melinda Gates kicks the whole thing off to talk philanthropy (and presumably will be skipping the chance to talk about her and her husband's efforts to vaccinate us all with 5G super-bugs or whatever the fuck you Qannon lunatics are talking about today).  

11 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

I have a penis and thus no opinion on the matter other than being jealous of how quick Pete’s brain moves.

This is fantastic.

The way Republicans use late-term abortions as a political chip, as if women are just flippantly changing their minds 8 months in, is grotesque.  

And frankly, it's none of their god damned business when or why anyway.

• Like 1

You didn't forget about Pete.  

You forgot about your country.  

Damn you!  Damn you to hell!  

He was great, he and Stacey paired well.  But honestly, it was kinda low-energy, nerds talking to nerds.  He's much more fun mixing it up with journalists.