Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The legitimacy argument is really weak. Aren't they the highest rated cable news channel by a good margin?  People aren't magically going to tune in to Fox every night now because Pete did an hour long Town Hall. I'm not going to tune in to their channel now because his appearance "legitimized" them in any way. 

Everyone in this country with a television has already formed an opinion on whether or not they want to watch Fox News. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

nobody likes the message coming from a bulk of their talking heads, but they have the numbers, and sometimes you gotta find voters where they live.

i've gotten most of my sports coverage the last 20 years from espn, but i don't like several of their commentators (bayless, berman, lou holtz, herbstreit, etc) or what they're constantly trying to sell me (sec, yankees, red sox). 

i'm an adult, and i get over it.

Y’all may have something to learn about Elizabeth Warren.  She detests corruption and the exploitation of the weak minded/vulnerable for profit.  She hates it so much that she goes out of her way to call it out and publicly shame it when she sees it.  That’s like her schtick. 

Fox News profits off of the malicious deception of American audiences.  Elizabeth Warren wants no part of that and she said so loud and clear.  She doesn’t give a shit how many viewers they have or the audience she’s missing out on. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Y’all may have something to learn about Elizabeth Warren.  She detests corruption and the exploitation of the weak minded/vulnerable for profit.  She hates it so much that she goes out of her way to call it out and publicly shame it when she sees it.  That’s like her schtick. 

Fox News profits off of the malicious deception of American audiences.  Elizabeth Warren wants no part of that and she said so loud and clear.  She doesn’t give a shit how many viewers they have or the audience she’s missing out on. 

yes, we all know her "schtick".  unfortunately, you need more to breakthrough this field (and the biden bullshit) and become a legit contender to win next year.

maybe she doesn't want to.  maybe she wants to keep her specialty and continue in the senate, where she can continue to do good work, hold people accountable, and make an impact.  i'm fine with that i guess.

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

unfortunately, you need more to breakthrough this field (and the biden bullshit) and become a legit contender to win next year.

I refuse to believe doing a Fox News town hall will make or break a candidate.  If that’s what it takes, it doesn’t speak very highly of the candidate. 

Neilson rating have Pete town hall drawing 1.1 million viewers.  That’s not bad but it isn’t going to flip a primary state for him either. 

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I refuse to believe doing a Fox News town hall will make or break a candidate.  If that’s what it takes, it doesn’t speak very highly of the candidate. 

Neilson rating have Pete town hall drawing 1.1 million viewers.  That’s not bad but it isn’t going to flip a primary state for him either. 

by "more" i was referring to warren's "schtick" as you called it.  i thought my sentence structure made that pretty clear.

49 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Looks like Trump is a little triggered. Imagine if Harris, Warren, Beto, etc. all agreed to a Fox News Town Hall.  I'd love to see a Trump/FNC soap opera. 

trump values absolute blind loyalty above all else.  once he senses he's not receiving that from someone, he'll pick at it...

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

heteros NEVER do this stuff lol

That dude is a fucking loon! His views on rape are beyond bizarre and he really doesn't like accredited Universities or scientists. He does seem to like racism.

There will be more crazies that will come out of the shadows because of Pete. This is going to be entertaining to watch.

He needs to keep repeating that until Trump has to respond.  I want to see what kind of word diarrhea he comes up with to explain his draft dodging.  He loves to talk about his amazing health.

Edited by kevwun

On 5/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

"HOES BEFORE EMBRYOS?" Sweet sign bro.

Based on what i've seen, Buttigieg is impressively well spoken, even when improvising, and he doesn't have Beto's annoying mannerisms. He's hard not to like, even if you disagree with some of his politics.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

shots fired?

pretty shrewd.

wait until trump is morphing into the absolute worst version of himself, then start reminding the world that you are the polar opposite of him.

the next month is gonna be bad for trump, and in a month, the debates start.

3 minutes ago, achooloco said:

I’m gonna regret this but... why?

When has publicly shaming Donald Trump accomplished anything useful?

I invite you to re-watch Hillary's DNC speech, which is almost entirely focused on shaming Donald Trump and chastising Americans to #DoBetter.

Or look at how much her ads were focused on her being a better person than Donald and not on policy.

2016Forum_Fig9-768x538.png

(source)

It's a losing play.

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because Bernie reasons

Or "we actually lost in 2016" reasons, but sure go with your hurt feelings.

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Trump shouldn't feel ashamed of dodging the draft, was what I meant.

Because it was a BS war and we should conscript citizens to fight in BS wars.

Sorry if that was unclear.

But he didn't do it out of principle.  He did it because he's a pussy.  If he actively protested the draft process, then I could understand your point of view.  But instead he just lied and took advantage of his privilege while never offering an opinion on the war itself.  It's the worst of both worlds, and absolutely something that should be touched on, especially by someone with an actual military background.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 3

Nah, I hear ya, was just wondering what you exactly meant. I guess my stance is that The issue isn’t whether the war was just (it wasn’t), the issue is how fucktard dotard got out of it. And the way he did is/was shameful.

My two cents: i don’t fault Cassius clay for not fighting, he objected, manned up and did time. I don’t fault conscientious objectors. And Setting aside people who moved to Canada, I do fault bitch made rich people who lied, made up an injury, and got some poor guy to go fight the war.  

And you’re right it’d be a losing play if the goal was to only shame trump but If it at all helps pull some military votes towards Pete B., then I’d argue it was a winning shot. 

Edit/: too slow, chuckie finster said it better 

Edited by achooloco

I didn't say it should be off limits, just that it's a dumb point of attack, both because it won't force an error (which is the only purposeful use of trolling) and because it's not substantively meaningful.

Anyone judging draft dodgers while having never faced a draft themselves should shut up about it.

Just now, achooloco said:

... but If it at all helps pull some military votes towards Pete B. ...

Be serious.

I see the Vietnam War defenders have logged on but haven't named their favorite part of the war. Seems to me they complain about Trump being a coward but aren't they doing the same thing? It really makes you think. If only Trump wasn't a coward and actually fought in Vietnam and dropped some napalm on some villages, then he would be OK. What is important is doing things "the right way" and not the consequences. Be a brave tough man that murders children, not a coward who bangs models. 

• Like 1

uh, this is politics.  pete is saying things that will get a rise out of the president (or won't get anything out of him), and has zero downside for pete.  regardless, it helps his message that he's the anti-trump.  is this the best message for every dem nominee?  no.  but there are 20, and pete needs to stick with what can gain traction for him.

right now, people are very disappointed that we have a president who's shown to be a rich, entitled, play-by-his-own-rules-because-he-has-money type of slimeball gangster.  he's a cheat and a liar, and he hides things.  if he responds to the poke with, "well, yeah, that's what rich people did, you played the system, and you made something up" it would just serve to augment this narrative.  there's literally no response that would make people respect trump's decision.  he's not smart enough to craft one.

shit, pete even said he would have no problem if trump was a conscientious objector, but he wasn't.  he made something up.  it also plays into the fact that trump is 72, looks 85, moves around like he's 99, and talks like he's 9.

don't make this about "whether vietnam was a bullshit war".  that's obviously not the point here.  come on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

When has publicly shaming Donald Trump accomplished anything useful?

I invite you to re-watch Hillary's DNC speech, which is almost entirely focused on shaming Donald Trump and chastising Americans to #DoBetter.

Or look at how much her ads were focused on her being a better person than Donald and not on policy.

2016Forum_Fig9-768x538.png

(source)

It's a losing play.

Or "we actually lost in 2016" reasons, but sure go with your hurt feelings.

you can't use the past to predict the future.  people hated hillary.  they didn't hate trump.  many thought he was a windbag buffoon, but they didn't hate him like they do now.  his unfavorables are setting records, and the dem candidate won't be hrc.

i'm not here to relitigate 2016/hillary, but she won by a few million votes, and trump had to thread the needle perfectly to pull off his win.  he's done nothing in the past 2.5 years that tells me he's gained ground or can win.  and i'm talking about vs 7-8 different dems.

he's absolute toast.

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I didn't say it should be off limits, just that it's a dumb point of attack, both because it won't force an error (which is the only purposeful use of trolling) and because it's not substantively meaningful.

Anyone judging draft dodgers while having never faced a draft themselves should shut up about it.

Be serious.

Well I think trolling has lots of different purposeful uses but ok. Also just bc trump doesnt see it as an error doesn’t mean others/voters won’t. 

Maybe it could sway military voters, not saying it definitely will, just saying vis-à-vis dotard, i can see how it COULD be influential. 

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Man, where was all this lib bloodlust when draft dodgin' Bill Clinton ran twice?

As far as I recall, the libs were making the same arguments I am now (and did then for Bill).

Not bloodlust on my part, just saying in context, bill isn’t trump. Bill never dry humped a flag on stage (twice!), bill never talked shit to a gold star family, bill never talked shit to a dead war hero, bill never said he preferred soldiers who weren’t captured, bill never equated someone standing up for their first amendment rights as a “Motherfucker” who disrespected our military.

Again my issue isn’t with anyone else not going, it’s with the distinct hypocrisy of trump waving the flag and at the same time the various, multifaceted, and disgraceful ways he shits on this country/military. Trump specifically has done enough hiding behind the flag to merit shame for not standing up for it when others did. 

Just now, longhornmatt said:

How the fuck did Gallup have favorability tracking polls on Trump going back every year to 2000?   Did people not used to think of him as nothing more than a random tabloid douchebag before 2015 (or at least before The Apprentice and he started taking about Obama’s birth certificate)?  How did I miss him being a thing for 20 or 30 years? 

I’m considering going full bore into buying the Illuminati conspiracy theories if polling companies were prepping for a Donald Trump presidency since 2000.

He’s been flirting with running for President since the 80s and he’s a media whore.  It would have been dumb not to track him.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, lots of hate on both sides.  that was all part of the perfect storm that made trump president.

global warming aside, perfect storms don't happen two times in a row.

The big takeaway from the Hillary chart is how much Benghazi crippled her (2013-2016) and it was complete bullshit. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

50 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Trump shouldn't feel ashamed of dodging the draft, was what I meant.

Because it was a BS war and we should conscript citizens to fight in BS wars.

Sorry if that was unclear.

You are right, but those of us that see it that way I think are in a pretty small minority. I think most people think, even if they believe the war was unjust, that dodging the draft is un-patriotic.

It's stupid af, but I think that's where the public is at.

And there's some level of hypocrisy in Trump's hiding behind the flag and troops and 'Murka, while being a guy who dodged the draft, that should be called out. Not for me and you, but for swing voters in the midwest.

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The big takeaway from the Hillary chart is how much Benghazi crippled her (2013-2016) and it was complete bullshit. 

because republicans know how to play the long game.  they started dismantling hillary long before trump was even a thought.

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You are right, but those of us that see it that way I think are in a pretty small minority. I think most people think, even if they believe the war was unjust, that dodging the draft is un-patriotic.

It's stupid af, but I think that's where the public is at.

And there's some level of hypocrisy in Trump's hiding behind the flag and troops and 'Murka, while being a guy who dodged the draft, that should be called out. Not for me and you, but for swing voters in the midwest.

Agree 100%. I was in the military when Clinton was elected and his draft dodging was a big issue for us. Not saying it should've been. Just that it was.

He can't have it both ways. Either you support and believe in the American military force, or you're a pussy ass draft dodger. There's no middle ground, and IMO, Pete, as a former service member, should bring up trump's lies regarding Vietnam whenever asked. Pete joined the military when we were at war. Say what you want but that takes stones. That's supporting the troops and believing in America. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jograves said:

Agree 100%. I was in the military when Clinton was elected and his draft dodging was a big issue for us. Not saying it should've been. Just that it was.

That's because he was a Democrat.

Draft-dodging Trump who openly insulted veterans did extremely well among military voters. Now, with 4 years of photo ops with the troops, does anyone seriously think Pete is going to pull an appreciable number of military votes from Donald?