Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

When Pete talks about race, every comment should begin with something like this and nothing short of it:

“As a white man, I will never fully understand the discrimination, pain, and harm that Black Americans have experienced just because of the color of their skin.”

Sure thing, Hugo. I'm assuming you feel the same with Warren, Bernie, Biden, etc.? 

Is it your expectation that they should start with something like that and "nothing short of it"? 

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Sure thing, Hugo. I'm assuming you feel the same with Warren, Bernie, Biden, etc.? 

Is it your expectation that they should start with something like that and "nothing short of it"? 

Yeah, I lifted the language from Warren because it was the right way to come at the topic.

Elizabeth Warren one week ago:

“As a white woman, I will never fully understand the discrimination, pain, and harm that Black Americans have experienced just because of the color of their skin.”

https://elizabethwarren.com/atlanta-speech

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Paraphrasing Pete here: 
“Even though I’m not black I know something about discrimination because I’m gay.  I’m here to stand up for the rights of the other marginalized groups because of it.”

There’s nothing objectively wrong or sinister with the statement but it implicitly equates the struggle of gays with blacks in America.  I can see how folks might see that as a little ignorant when it comes to racism in America. 

Especially because Pete has only been out of the closet for four years and spent the formative parts of his education and professional life being seen by the world as a straight white guy.

Black Americans don’t have that kind of luxury. When discrimination against his sexuality could have actually hurt him there was nothing for anyone to discriminate against.

He was in his second term when he came out FFS.

Comparing the black experience to the queer experience or latino experience or the female experience is a folly and never, ever works.

But coming from a white dude who only came out after he traded on his whiteness and maleness and after building the foundation of his success is particularly tone deaf.
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

People love to paraphrase Pete in whatever way that serves the interests of their preferred candidates. Very productive. 

Actually it can be quite productive, for them. Politics is perception, and because most voters don’t pay attention until the book on a candidate is mostly written, it’s important for Pete to learn how not to give opponents these opportunities to massage his words into some very damaging. It’s a sizable flaw in his campaign right now. It’s that he is racist, or might never convince brown folks he is for them, but that he’s getting easily punched into those corners. He’s got some maturing to do, as a candidate. 

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Elizabeth Warren one week ago:

“As a white woman, I will never fully understand the discrimination, pain, and harm that Black Americans have experienced just because of the color of their skin.”

https://elizabethwarren.com/atlanta-speech

I wouldn't use the candidate who listed herself as a minority in her generation's  and profession's version of Linked In as the example of someone who understands minority struggles.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cancel culture is the worst culture. We deserve what we get. 

But Warren claiming to be Native American has to be the most egregious example of white privilege exhibited by a candidate and no one talks about it. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

But Warren claiming to be Native American has to the most egregious example of white privilege exhibited by a candidate and no one talks about it. 

She's an Okie.  Half the fucking state, particularly those who are poor (such as her parents) believes they have a Cherokee princess lurking around their family tree.

• Like 3

Ugh that means testing bullshittery is just so Republican.

No government roads because rich people might drive on them.

No government tested clean drinking water because millionaires will drink it.

No government emergency services because a billionaire might need it.

And not to mention under Warren and Bernie those millionaires and billionaires will be paying a shitton more in taxes.

Thanks for field testing ads for right wing PACs though Pete.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

AOC coming in hard.

Pete has just been a rocket sled downhill of disappointment since February. For me, at least, as a left-progressive.

Agree. I’m hoping he is doing this only because he knows he can’t compete in the same space as Bernie and Warren. It’s not great, but that would be better than him actually believing this shit. 

I smoked one turkey and fried another this Thanksgiving and made the dressing. I paid for the rolls and pies. My wife made the green beans and sweet potatoes. We had 19 total people.

Ahead of time, I had them all fill out a form online that went into a spreadsheet. Using a blend of investments, savings, debts, and income, I was able to determine who got the food for free and who had to pay. It got a little awkward when my grandson James couldn't get dessert because his (wealthier) father didn't bring any cash but my granddaughter Vanessa got three desserts because her dad just got fired has $18k in credit card debt, but everyone understood.

It was an efficient gathering. All revenue went into a tax-advantaged Holiday Hospitality Fund.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agree. I’m hoping he is doing this only because he knows he can’t compete in the same space as Bernie and Warren. It’s not great, but that would be better than him actually believing this shit. 

Advocating things you know are bad so you can gain power for yourself is worse than just having bad ideas but believing them sincerely.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 6:21 PM, bad_teammate said:

I literally just said that the guy's characterization was "arguable".

lol

The Woke Twitter Understander has logged in.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:26 PM, henrygandorf said:

lol indeed. 3 dots then arguable...doesn’t always mean “arguable”. i think we all have an “bt to english” dictionary by now. 

it’s not like you called the writer a lying motherfucker, or called pete a “lying fuck”...this time. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...peak CR:

Arguing about arguing.  

10 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Advocating things you know are bad so you can gain power for yourself is worse than just having bad ideas but believing them sincerely.

This is the fundamental flaw with Pete.  Like most politicians, he’s clearly a mercenary now and he does a poor job of hiding it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

But Warren claiming to be Native American has to be the most egregious example of white privilege exhibited by a candidate and no one talks about it. 

She is nicknamed Pocahontas by so-called journalists.  She was referred to as that by one on Fox News yesterday. 

But no one ever talks about it?  How many times does she need to address it before people are satisfied? 

Edited by Tom

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

She is nicknamed Pocahontas by so-called journalists.  She was referred to as that by one on Fox News yesterday. 

But no one ever talks about it?  How many times does she need to address it before people are satisfied? 

The progressive left is attacking one candidate because they don’t believe he’s woke enough but have yet to attack another candidate even though she’s a white person that claimed to be a member of a minority fucking race. 

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy. 

Edited by Neonmoon

It’s interesting to me; you spend enough time around your couple of politically aware friends IRL and spend time here and you can trick yourself into thinking everyone is aware and engaged. At Thanksgiving yesterday my “liberal” brother (liked Bernie in 2016 and lived in California and likes pot a lot) and other democrat/centrist family members were literally “what’s that gay guys name that’s running? Is he any good?”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

The progressive left is attacking one candidate because they don’t believe he’s woke enough but have yet to attack another candidate even though she’s a white person that claimed to be a member of a minority fucking race. 

1) *has

2) Ask Hugo what he thinks about the validity of the bolded statement.

Under Pete’s plan, I wouldn’t be eligible despite having a single mom who made too much but had too much poor financial planning to be able to help me with college. 

Too much for grants and finaid, too much for Pete’s plan = loans

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Under Pete’s plan, I wouldn’t be eligible despite having a single mom who made too much but had too much poor financial planning to be able to help me with college. 

Too much for grants and finaid, too much for Pete’s plan = loans

Maybe you deserve to die you rich bastard

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 11:16 PM, Bama Chick said:

Especially because Pete has only been out of the closet for four years and spent the formative parts of his education and professional life being seen by the world as a straight white guy.

Black Americans don’t have that kind of luxury. When discrimination against his sexuality could have actually hurt him there was nothing for anyone to discriminate against.

He was in his second term when he came out FFS.

Comparing the black experience to the queer experience or latino experience or the female experience is a folly and never, ever works.

But coming from a white dude who only came out after he traded on his whiteness and maleness and after building the foundation of his success is particularly tone deaf.

Wow. Somehow I missed this about him. Only four years ago? Then he was in his 30's?  That seems weird to me, even deceptive. He waited until he gained more power and society changed enough to tolerate his gayness. That is pretty telling. 

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Wow. Somehow I missed this about him. Only four years ago? Then he was in his 30's?  That seems weird to me, even deceptive. He waited until he gained more power and society changed enough to tolerate his gayness. That is pretty telling. 

Really? “Deceptive”? The word you are going to use to judge someone’s personal timeline and journey for coming out is deceptive? That seems weird to me, even maybe homophobic. Pretty telling.

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Unless his campaign slogan was, "Boy I love vaginas, give me a lady with a nice vagina that I definitely want to put my penis in!" then I don't see how it's deceptive.

I imagine that coming out is tough, especially when you're extremely ambitious and aren't confident that the people you need support from are going to be OK with your sexuality. I prefer potential leaders who weren't planning to become president when they were kindergartners, of course.

1 minute ago, burntorangebongos said:

So is the better word disingenuous? His calculated ambition reminds me of John Kerry or Hillary even. It was off putting in them too. 

I'd just leave the coming out out of the equation completely, because that's one of the few humanizing things about him. He's obviously a hyper-ambitious power-seeker who wildly overestimates his own intelligence, importance, and abilities (the Paul Ryan comparisons are apt here) which makes him alien and dangerous, but struggling with sexuality and the public performance of it is a normal human thing.

If people from the queer communities have issues with it then they're welcome to say whatever they're going to say, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole as a straight cis guy.

If you want to get psychological on him, then there's plenty else to work with, like the fact that his entire military service experience was a carefully calculated careerist move that he has tried to sell as something noble and honorable, but even he can't really sell it to himself.

So comforting That the college educated white man has found the voice to speak for them. 

The absolute excuse-making or subsequent mansplaining for 99% of what Pete says/does in order to anoint this 37 year old mayor the savior of the country is truly astounding. 

He’s nobody running a blah campaign. At least Trump riled up people with promises and outlandish statements. Pete is the opposite - promise nothing (and Ivy League explain how his opponents’ ideas aren’t realistic) and then say little. Project your hope and dreams onto him! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I did something on purpose to give me a better perspective and help prepare me to lead this country

YOU CALCULATING PIECE OF SHIT 

What a bizarre world we live in 

Even in your very generous framing, yes, that is absolutely calculating. I don't know how you think that sounds good because you're admitting in this kind interpretation that his actual goal was to eventually become a leader.

Remember how we all mocked Beto for saying, "I was born to be in it"? That's actually how Pete has thought of himself since he was a child. That is fucked up.

But it's overgenerous, he didn't go to Afghanistan to improve, he was already convinced of his worthiness to lead. He did it burnish his image and build his resume. And I don't really care that much because lots of other people do it, too, and if his policy views were aligned with mine then I'd cheer him on in his schemes because I care more about results than the personal integrity of the candidate, but are you seriously going to deny that he's an ambitious careerist?

Mean girls, dude, mean girls.

Edited by bad_teammate

A blue check mark pundit commented on how Political Twitter seems to be going after Pete recently.

Pete’s gross Comms Director responded with this glorious nugget -

And then she got ratioed by folks pointing out Pete is the one to be feared, just not the way she means.

(The fact that she is one of his most visible staff members is another thing that puts me off. I haven’t liked her since she was a parlayed being a Spitzer Mistress into a job with DeBlasio and then the whole thing blew up. She’s gross.)
  • Like 1