Yesterday

PittsburghTiger

this has to be the 3rd thread, but i think each of the others only has a couple replies so who cares.

i'm a big fan of "alternate reality" types of stories, and i think this one has some real originality to it.

also danny boyle seems to be perpetually underrated somehow.

• Like 1

I’m curious if there’s a broader, though rarely addressed direct, narrative in the movie.  That the Beatles music didn’t change the world.  But their music changed people and those people went on to change the world. A world without people moved by their music likely has other serious challenges as well 

Maybe I’m grasping at straws since we lost Bill Powers.  He loves to tell you, “our motto isn’t meant literally.  But what starts here changes people. And those people go out and change the world.”

This will be one film I sneak outta the house to see with a big sound system in the theater   

Edited by Lobo

I like the premise.  The trailer makes it seem that every former Beatles' song would be a hit today.  I'd like to see the story with him trying to determine which Beatles' songs would work if sung for the first time today (a good portion) and which ones would be complete flops.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I’m curious if there’s a broader, though rarely addressed direct, narrative in the movie.  That the Beatles music didn’t change the world.  But their music changed people and those people went on to change the world. A world without people moved by their music likely has other serious challenges as well 

Maybe I’m grasping at straws since we lost Bill Powers.  He loves to tell you, “our motto isn’t meant literally.  But what starts here changes people. And those people go out and change the world.”

This will be one film I sneak outta the house to see with a big sound system in the theater   

I think it's probably just a funny/clever vehicle for a Beatles soundtrack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I like the premise.  The trailer makes it seem that every former Beatles' song would be a hit today.  I'd like to see the story with him trying to determine which Beatles' songs would work if sung for the first time today (a good portion) and which ones would be complete flops.

He probably just ignored any song written or sung by ringo. 

This premise should also allow him to pull from their solo catalogues I’d think. 

23 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I was thinkin the same thing.  Some of their songs are timeless...but there early songs they'd sing on Ed Sullivan probably are well past their prime.  Like trying to release Johnny B Good now.

• 3 months later...

Anyone remember that show, Otherworld, from the 80s?  They had an episode where the teen son and daughter became superstars by performing hit songs from our reality that were unknown to the rubes in Otherworld.  This movie reminded me of this.  

Edited by Bojack

9 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

loved it! Lily James is so so fine 

hqdefault.jpg

this is where my mind went every time she was on the screen.  The could be sisters I think.

It was good.  Amazing that a good story with decent actors, a little humor and some basic history without prank calls or CGI that cost billions of dollars can actually keep you engaged.  I sure hope the trend continues.

Spoiler

When he started googling, I started giggling and couldn't stop because he was not going to be able to find any song names, lyrics, music etc.

Didn't particularly like the John Lenin part.  You've got Ringo and Paul still alive and available and that's the direction you took?  Thought that was weak.  How cool would it have been to have had Paul and Ringo playing in a pub somewhere as old men in a jazz fusion band or something.

Hey dude.

Edited by mulletpelini
  • Like 1

I maybe read 10 movie reviews a year and maybe get to see 2 movies a year at the theater.  I was about to jump all over this but everything and everybody said it just quickly derails into a paint-by-numbers rom-com that just so happens to have a great soundtrack.  While I'd love to hear the music with big sound and big production value, if that's all it devolves into, I think I'll pass.  Anybody wanna chime in that's seen it with/without spoilers?  

On 6/29/2019 at 3:49 PM, 4th&Five said:

My kids really want to see it. Ok for 7 year old?

My 7-yo loved it. So did I, and my husband and my 11-yo. It could've been more than it was, but...I guess I wasn't expecting a Best Picture nominee, and if you go into it just looking to see a good movie, I think you'll be really happy. It has rom-com elements for sure, but also real humor, and it's fun thinking about what the world would be like without the Beatles and other stuff. 

On 6/29/2019 at 3:12 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

Yep. I loved the movie, but kinda hoped it was rated R so those sweater puppies would be released.

On 6/29/2019 at 3:49 PM, 4th&Five said:

My kids really want to see it. Ok for 7 year old?

See comment above. Our kids liked it because they like The Beatles. If they didn't, they would have been bored.

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

I maybe read 10 movie reviews a year and maybe get to see 2 movies a year at the theater.  I was about to jump all over this but everything and everybody said it just quickly derails into a paint-by-numbers rom-com that just so happens to have a great soundtrack.  While I'd love to hear the music with big sound and big production value, if that's all it devolves into, I think I'll pass.  Anybody wanna chime in that's seen it with/without spoilers?  

There's definitely a rom-com element to it, but it's still a great movie. 

20 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Reveal hidden contents

When he started googling, I started giggling and couldn't stop because he was not going to be able to find any song names, lyrics, music etc.

Didn't particularly like the John Lenin part.  You've got Ringo and Paul still alive and available and that's the direction you took?  Thought that was weak.  How cool would it have been to have had Paul and Ringo playing in a pub somewhere as old men in a jazz fusion band or something.

Hey dude.

Spoiler

I loved that scene. In this timeline, John lives until 2019 and is perfectly happy.

• Like 1

Saw it today and really enjoyed it.  Not a cookie cutter romcom, had some really interesting elements.  Even Ed Sheeran was tolerable playing himself - not great but it worked.  I like that the main guy actually felt some guilt and they played off that.  One reviewer I read was speculating that this sets up the universe of "missing" stuff, so they can revisit it with other characters...which I'm sure they will ruin by playing the one-trick pony too much.

Hey I gotta question just out of general curiosity.  Show started at 10pm, except it didn't.  It actually started at 935p, 25 fucking minutes of previews?  What the fuck is this shit.  Played one movie, two different previews!  Fuck these people.

Oh the question was, how many previews you got

I saw it yesterday with the wife and the two offspring (age 26 and 24).  All of us liked it.  A lot.  As someone earlier said, it probably won't win any awards but a very enjoyable movie.  I thought Sheeran was fine actually.  

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it with my 15 YO son yesterday . . . both of us enjoyed it quite a bit.  Great premise.  Despite the necessary suspension of disbelief, I bought into it more than I did the other two recent "mega-star" flicks (Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman), simply because I wasn't watching someone try to be one of The Beatles.  And, the lead was quite a good singer in his own right.

Minor nit (spoilered):

Spoiler

I wish the plot had the guy continue to maintain that "The Beatles" wrote all those songs.  The obvious public reaction would have been "yeah, that's you, it's a pseudonym, you are The Beatles" which he could in good faith deny.  Instead, he runs with the fallacy, which of course can't last forever.

Watching him trying to remember the words to "Eleanor Rigby" was an inspired bit of writing.

On 6/29/2019 at 3:12 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

So much yes.

On 6/29/2019 at 7:39 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

Yea I’d say so. No nudity, maybe a few curse words,  Occasional beer and wine drinking. 

No kids in my 11am showing...

So disappointing!

On 6/30/2019 at 10:27 AM, Lobo said:

Why pay attention to reviews?  Ever?  If the previews, plot, cast, etc. are interesting to you - Go!  Who cares if others like/don't like it.  It's your money and time - spend both for you.

Because I get to maybe 2 movies a year now with 2 small children.  I don't exclusively rely on reviews, but it does come into account when I decide what 1 or 2 pictures I get to attend.  I also take into account Surly opinions, a few friends, and the Austin Chronicle.  My schedule doesn't allow me 2 movies a month, even at home.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Because I get to maybe 2 movies a year now with 2 small children.  I don't exclusively rely on reviews, but it does come into account when I decide what 1 or 2 pictures I get to attend.  I also take into account Surly opinions, a few friends, and the Austin Chronicle.  My schedule doesn't allow me 2 movies a month, even at home.  

Yesterday is a really good movie.  Go see it.  

Danny Boyle. Just sit back and relax. You're in good hands with this movie. The guy knows what he's doing.

On the other hand, the other movie about the Indian dude who's into Bruce Springsteen looks like hot garbage but that's another thread.

Edited by ajax

• 7 months later...
6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Cloying, Love Actually-ish drivel.

How did the guy who did Shallow Grave, Trainspotting and 28 Days Later come to this crap...

It was a good idea.  In fact, how could you fuck up a movie with Beatles music? 

They figured it out.

I really enjoyed it but I respect your review. 

On 6/30/2019 at 10:56 PM, Horn of Gabriel said:

Saw it today and really enjoyed it.  Not a cookie cutter romcom, had some really interesting elements.  Even Ed Sheeran was tolerable playing himself - not great but it worked.  I like that the main guy actually felt some guilt and they played off that.  One reviewer I read was speculating that this sets up the universe of "missing" stuff, so they can revisit it with other characters...which I'm sure they will ruin by playing the one-trick pony too much.

I'd pay to see the Good Boys try to invent CocaCola. Or better yet, cigarettes.

good-boys-1.jpg?quality=50&width=1800&ra

My first experience with Lily James, and I’m in love. 

The whole point of visiting John Lennon instead of spotting Paul and Ringo playing in a pub is that John was never famous and therefore was never murdered... a redeeming consequence of the inexplicable dimension shift.

And the Oasis bit was sly and funny.

• Like 1

Okay, I am not just being crabby here, but honest question. 

To me, the only way music is fantastic on a movie if it is used wisely in a soundtrack (Scorese films), or somehow is done live in a movie and does justice to the original or has a unique angle.

The music wasn't out of tune.  However, it was done on the level of a really talented high school/college talent show.

In some of the concert scenes, you do have to suspend your own knowledge of the Beatles and just accept, I guess, that the songs are so good that no matter how they are performed, you are going to get Wembley Stadium going nuts over B- performance of A+++ work.   (That whole scene just didn't work, on any level.

(Help! on the rooftop was horrific.)

The Beatles does translate to stripped down arrangements, but I thought the movie utterly blew a chance by not getting a believable foursome together (That Thing You Do), with skill, to make the songs more stadium/performance ready.

I went to my Beatles music after seeing the movie.  And that music, yes, was fantastic.

It was a damn clever idea and it was done nicely.  I'm just not into that Love Actually type of mugging, so I will admit to having a particular dislike of the style.  But the flick could have really, really, been cool and not just succumbed to friends all dancing in the recording studio and in concert to music that didn't really call for that.

Maybe in the next life, a more open mind.

TS, if it seems like you’re a lone wolf, I agree the lead was at best an ok singer, nothing special as a vocalist, and I too don’t consider the music “great” as performed (though “Long and Winding Road”:was well done, a few others were fine). At least the film did get you to break out the real thing. I was more disturbed (is “disturbed” the right word?) about someone putting out into the world The Beatles catalogue without regard to their timeline: the happy, poppy songs of 1964 are drastically different than the edgier/psychedelic/contemplative music that would follow as the lads evolved. 

But I guess that doesn’t matter as much if it’s newcomer Jack Malik performing, as opposed to the John/Paul/Ringo and George whom you’ve lived with for seven, eight years.

And I am a sap for films like Notting Hill and Love Actually (except for the horrific Laura Linney storyline), so I’m more open to sentimental pablum. This was more along the lines of Curtis’ About Time, another movie you’d probably dislike. 

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

And I am a sap for films like Notting Hill and Love Actually (except for the horrific Laura Linney storyline), so I’m more open to sentimental pablum. This was more along the lines of Curtis’ About Time, another movie you’d probably dislike. 

Notting Hill was salvaged.

tenor.gif?itemid=15017786