Charleston

Chewbacca

Wife wants to go to Charleston for a weekend.  We went 15 years ago and she wants to go back.  Last time we just ate seafood, walked around the Historic District and took a tour.  

Is there anything else to do there?  Nice places to stay?  Good places to eat?  I know I want to hit Husk but that's the only one that is set in stone.

If you're into breweries, Revelry might be one of my favorite in the country.  Cool rooftop seating area and an awesome beer selection.  Their "God's Favorite" is a 9% Belgian Strong Ale that is my favorite on the menu.

All the night life is on King St, but it's a younger crowd.  My favorite bars are Prohibition and Cocktail Club.  I don't have good food recs because I'm always with cheap enlisted aircrew on my trips, but The Rarebit is a really good late-night food option that serves breakfast until close.

• Like 1

Charleston is amazing. There's a thread on here (I think) where I posted a bunch of pictures from when we went last April for High Water Fest and are going back this year. Places we hit and can't be missed:

• Lewis BBQ
  • Rodney Scott BBQ (won a James Beard Award last year)
  • Leon's (best fried chicken I've ever had)
  • Raw 167 (good luck, there's a wait in the middle of the afternoon -- but it's fuckin' amazing)
  • One Broad for breakfast/coffee
  • Blind Tiger Pub

We are staying at Mills House this time. The Vendue is supposed to great with an awesome rooftop bar but we didn't make it by there last year.

• Like 1

The Spectator or Market Pavillion are my two favorite place to stay, you really can't go wrong with either.  If you don't stay at MP, try to hit up the rooftop for a happy hour drink or two.  Husk is amazing, do it.  Have an adult dessert at Kaminsky's.  Magnolias is solid for lunch, the fried green tomatoes are worth the trip alone.  Depending on how long you're there, maybe consider a half day trip out to Folly and walk the beach.  I have never lived there, but most of my extended fam is there...it's one of the few cities I'd make a lateral move to.  Enjoy it!  Great city to just eat drink and explore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Charleston is amazing. There's a thread on here (I think) where I posted a bunch of pictures from when we went last April for High Water Fest and are going back this year. Places we hit and can't be missed:

• Lewis BBQ
  • Rodney Scott BBQ (won a James Beard Award last year)
  • Leon's (best fried chicken I've ever had)
  • Raw 167 (good luck, there's a wait in the middle of the afternoon -- but it's fuckin' amazing)
  • One Broad for breakfast/coffee
  • Blind Tiger Pub

We are staying at Mills House this time. The Vendue is supposed to great with an awesome rooftop bar but we didn't make it by there last year.

vendue's rooftop bar is pretty great.  i'll second blind tiger as well. 

get dessert at kaminsky's.  in fact, skip an actual meal and just eat pie there for your meal.

Edited by elfenix

My 2nd cousin and his partner have a semi-famous cupcake/sweets shop on Cannon called Sugar Bakeshop.  They've been featured in several magazine articles and Martha Stewart is a big fan of their goods.  I haven't been to Charleston to visit yet, but I've sent a few friends and they've all loved it.  Might be a good idea to keep the wife happy, if she likes sweets.

• Like 1

Second the recommendation for the Spectator Hotel.  We had an awesome experience there.  You get your own butler to use if you want.  I thought the rooms were huge and it is right in the center of everything, so you can walk to most of the city.  Breakfast delivered to your room every morning.  

Plenty of restaurant recs in this thread.  Husk should be #1 on your list and the coconut cake at Peninsula Grill is legit, food was good too

Ft Sumner tour is cool

Historic Walking tour is worth it.  Hotel set it up for us.

• Like 1

Our go to places in Charleston:

John Lewis-If you are there on Sunday his CFS with green chile gravy is out fucking standing

SNOB (Slightly North of Broad)

Kaminsky's for dessert

We love Folly Beach-go early and park at the pier to get good beach access. At the end of the island do the short walk to see the lighthouse.

Wild Olive on John's Island

Page's Okra Grill in Mt. Pleasant

Early Bird Diner-West Ashley

Good hotel, convenient not not overly priced is Town and Country Inn-West Ashley

Visit the Angel Oak on John's Island, it's very unique and a nice drive

Bowen's Island Restaurant for oysters, unique, classic, not fancy

Walk the Avenel Bridge

Anyplace on Shem's creek

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaSucks said:

Our go to places in Charleston:

John Lewis-If you are there on Sunday his CFS with green chile gravy is out fucking standing

Visit the Angel Oak on John's Island, it's very unique and a nice drive

Walk the Avenel Bridge

CFS at Lewis BBQ sounds amazing.

If it's what I think it is, our friends that live there that we hang out with, got married under the Angel Oak.

I think it's Ravenel Bridge (yes, we started watching Southern Charm after getting back from Charleston last spring)

Fig. High in the running for best restaurant on the planet.

Haven't been to the Blind Tiger since it reopened but it was my go to spot back when I lived there. Most of the other places I used to frequent have long since closed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Headed there next weekend for a buddy's retirement from the Navy.  Hotel prices are outrageous because of the ashley river fun run.  Went and did an airbnb instead.  Haven't been back there since nuke school

Springtime in Charleston also means "wedding season" -- or so I'm told -- so prices are going to be high every weekend.

We have not yet been able to get into FIG. But its on our bucket list just have to work out the timing. Everything I hear says it's outstanding

My in-laws went last night. Haven’t gotten the report yet. They made a reso a month ago and could only get in at 5:45. We are staying right around corner in two weeks — what are the chances of popping later one evening and sitting at the bar? Doable?

On 3/31/2019 at 10:32 PM, C-Man said:

My in-laws went last night. Haven’t gotten the report yet. They made a reso a month ago and could only get in at 5:45. We are staying right around corner in two weeks — what are the chances of popping later one evening and sitting at the bar? Doable?

Actually your best chance is to call that day and waitlist. I'm batting 1.000 going that route. The other way is to call about 1.5 months out.

I have a chef's signed copy if the menu that hangs in my dining room from my birthday about 7 or 8 years ago. Still remember the pork belly I had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Actually your best chance is to call that day and waitlist. I'm batting 1.000 going that route. The other way is to call about 1.5 months out.

I have a chef's signed copy if the menu that hangs in my dining room from my birthday about 7 or 8 years ago. Still remember the pork belly I had.

TY

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up there tomorrow, back on Tuesday. Somebody has recommended a place called Taco Boy if we go out to Folly Beach. She also recommended Callie's Hot Little Biscuit in the Quarter. Have reservations for dinner at Tradd's on Monday night for the birthday of a friend from Dallas who is joining us on the trip. Our buddy who lives there is taking us out on the boat tomorrow afternoon when we get to town. Then High Water Fest on Saturday (possibly Sun too -- he'll give us a ride up the river in the boat). Head back on Tuesday. Can't wait.

EDIT: Just looked online and Taco Boy looks like a hard pass based on the website/menu.

Edited by C-Man

Still here until Tuesday. There is a really good, speak-easy like pizza place below One Broad now. Owned by the guy that owns One Broad upstairs. It's really cool, pretty good pie and a bunch of locals. Hit Leon's last night on our way back from High Water Fest in North Charleston. Heading to High Cotton for brunch in a few. Supposed to get some rain this afternoon so might not seeing Hayes Carll or Dr Dog after all if weather gets squirrelly.

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

Think we are going to rent a car tomorrow and drive down to see the Angel Oak Tree and Folly Beach. Need a rec for food out that way.

I used to get 2 hot dogs and a 22 of beer for 2 bucks at Bert's grocery, but unfortunately it burned down.

You can hit Bowens Island for some good lowbrow seafood. Interestingly enough it also burned down but was rebuilt. Originally it was just a single story block building that was only all you can eat oysters for 12 bucks, but now it's a two story will full kitchen. 

On 4/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, C-Man said:

Still here until Tuesday. There is a really good, speak-easy like pizza place below One Broad now. Owned by the guy that owns One Broad upstairs. It's really cool, pretty good pie and a bunch of locals. Hit Leon's last night on our way back from High Water Fest in North Charleston. Heading to High Cotton for brunch in a few. Supposed to get some rain this afternoon so might not seeing Hayes Carll or Dr Dog after all if weather gets squirrelly.

BTW, this place is called Bakers Bar.

On Monday night, we went to a semi-new place (opened within the last year) at the corner of Tradd and East Bay called Tradd's (naturally). It was fan-fuckingtastic. The lobster gnocchi starter was out-of-this-world good. We had escargot, soft-shell crab and the gnocchi for starters and I had the scallops for my main. We had five at dinner and everybody got a different entree -- ribeye, duck, serrano ham-wrapped monkfish and my scallops (Mrs C-Man did soup-and-salad).

https://tradds.com/menus/

Edited by C-Man

• 2 months later...

Went to Kiawah this past week and visited the following:

Lewis BBQ (had some great brisket. loved this place)

Wild Olive (we've been many times and always enjoy it)

Leon's (It was alright. Good atmosphere, fried chicken was good, but a bit spicy for a standard seasoning (i'm a spice wimp, FWIW). Scalloped potatoes as a side were $7 (chicken was $12), which seemed a bit crazy, and dessert options were limited). 

Saw one of you 1%ers flying a beautiful longhorn flag on the beach side of your mansion on Kiawah Island, and got a few hook em's while walking around Charleston. Good time overall.

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Going to Charleston next week.  I have reservations at The Ordinary on Wednesday and am going to try to do the waitlist at FIG on Thursday--we'll see how that goes.

Any other shit I need to hit up?

A lot of the places we liked to go closed during the pandemic. Tradd's is no more -- think it was gone before -- and One Broad is closed too. Baker's Bar has moved -- really good pizza. Not sure exactly where but you can Google it. I'm sure I recommended it above but you need to go to 167 Raw. I think the new location on King Street is open by now.

Hit Rodney Scott and Lewis Barbecue. The fried chicken at Leon's is amazing.

Good luck on FIG. Still haven't done it.

34 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Leon's looks pretty great.  I may have to hit it up.

The menu at 167 Raw looks too much like the Ordinary.  And I don't think I'm going to get away with that twice on this trip.

Leon’s

Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit for quick breakfast

Obstinate Daughter, but it’s on Sullivan’s Island.

Husk is a good Fig alternative, but you probably knew that.

I have not been since COVID hit.

Edited by conVINCEd

35 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Sucks Insta doesn't embed anymore, but this just popped up in my feed today. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMLDawtgitX/

It’s good shit.  It’s a badass chef making a McDonalds breakfast sandwich.  I have a batch of frozen biscuits sitting in my freezer right now.  I break them out every couple weeks.  I go with the bacon/fried egg/pimento cheese when I am actually in Charleston.   That will happen in the next few months thankfully.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Leon's looks pretty great.  I may have to hit it up.

The menu at 167 Raw looks too much like the Ordinary.  And I don't think I'm going to get away with that twice on this trip.

I prefer the Ordinary to 167 raw for the sole reason that you can make a reservation.  COVID has fucked everything up, so I have no idea what the situation is currently, but 167 Raw used to be no reservations, and you could wait for a while. 

• 4 weeks later...

In Charleston right now for a long weekend and this place is pretty awesome. Today was much colder and windy than we expected, but it's supposed to warm up every day the rest of the time we're here. 

Staying at the Hotel Bennett and so far we're really impressed. Got in last night and stopped off at their champagne bar before a late reservation at The Ordinary. Had an awesome dinner at The Ordinary with a couple of items so great that we ordered seconds. We did a late lunch at the bar at Little Jack's today and we have a late reservation at FIG tonight. Just waiting for the wife to get ready and we're going to grab a drink before heading over to FIG. 

Tomorrow is lunch at Lewis and then we've got some options for the remainder of the time we're here. The city is really packed this weekend and we were pretty surprised at how busy the college bars on King were last night when we were walking back to the Bennett.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:56 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Going to Charleston next week.  I have reservations at The Ordinary on Wednesday and am going to try to do the waitlist at FIG on Thursday--we'll see how that goes.

Any other shit I need to hit up?

On 4/2/2021 at 7:01 PM, royiv said:

In Charleston right now for a long weekend and this place is pretty awesome. Today was much colder and windy than we expected, but it's supposed to warm up every day the rest of the time we're here. 

Staying at the Hotel Bennett and so far we're really impressed. Got in last night and stopped off at their champagne bar before a late reservation at The Ordinary. Had an awesome dinner at The Ordinary with a couple of items so great that we ordered seconds. We did a late lunch at the bar at Little Jack's today and we have a late reservation at FIG tonight. Just waiting for the wife to get ready and we're going to grab a drink before heading over to FIG. 

Tomorrow is lunch at Lewis and then we've got some options for the remainder of the time we're here. The city is really packed this weekend and we were pretty surprised at how busy the college bars on King were last night when we were walking back to the Bennett.

The Ordinary is a place close to my heart as my nephew's company did the remodel on that building. Gotta get over to Charleston again this summer and take him and family out for a meal.

https://renewurban.net/Projects/the-ordinary/

https://renewurban.net/Projects/the-ordinary/

Edited by pch

• 2 months later...

We are headed to Charleston next Monday (wife wants to go to her parents for Independence Day & IMO, that's a waste of travel days but oh well).

My preferred outbound route is Austin to Gonzalez, Lousy-Anna (family stopover with my Coonass cousins), Atlanta for 1 night (lots of friends in the ATL), then Charleston.

Return come across Tennessee to Memphis & then an overnighted in Smackover, Arky (more family - trying to get the kids to connect with cousins they haven't ever met), lunch in Shreveport with my Uncle & cousins, then back here.

What's the Charleston situation with beaches & anything like drift boat / large group charter fishing (where you're 1 of 20 on the boat)?

We will do Fort Sumter (& I get to hear my wife try to rewrite the American Civil War as "Northern Aggression"), downtown walking, etc.

For a family type Beach, dig your toes in the sand, should we look @ the Outer Banks?

Gonna get serious on Air BnB type stuff later today; yea I recognize that's a late start.

Monster is 14 & Roxette is 16.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk