Bars

happyfunball

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Driving past the Local Post Pub on Burnet, I noticed the parking lot was empty, and sure enough it looks like they closed down last weekend. The menu was limited and the food really wasn't that good so it's no great loss. It's the old Dallas nightclub spot, so a huge footprint. Can't be cheap to lease that property, and it seems like they spent some money finishing out the spot. Wonder if they tear it down and build condos.

The Local Post was actually okay when it first opened. Good food and decent drinks. Then they decided to go sports bar and it’s a terrible one. I think they gave up because that property has already been sold and the condo plans are awaiting final approval. The plans were presented at our Allandale neighborhood meeting about a year ago so I would think it’ll be soon.

My drinking group (35-50) goes to Lala’s, Little Longhorn, Aristocrat, and various breweries. All generally have a diverse age range.

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My drinking group (35-50) goes to Lala’s, Little Longhorn, Aristocrat, and various breweries. All generally have a diverse age range.

Lala's ain't the same since Francis sold it.

Rest in peace, Francis.

• 9 months later...
On 5/23/2021 at 7:06 PM, Deej said:

Lala's ain't the same since Francis sold it.

Rest in peace, Francis.

I went there twice this past weekend.  I can't believe I'd never heard of this place before, and it's hard for me to believe it might have been better at some point.  That place kicked ass.

On 2/27/2022 at 6:36 PM, dcbc said:

I went there twice this past weekend.  I can't believe I'd never heard of this place before, and it's hard for me to believe it might have been better at some point.  That place kicked ass.

It was more run down and seedier with a sketchier clientele.  

My kind of place.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

It was more run down and seedier with a sketchier clientele.  

My kind of place.

It had a hint of that, which used to be all of Austin.  Now you have to look for it, mostly up north.  I enjoyed it

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2022 at 9:07 PM, dcbc said:

It had a hint of that, which used to be all of Austin.  Now you have to look for it, mostly up north.  I enjoyed it

We used to do a dive crawl from Buddy's Place, to Lala's, to the Poodle Dog, to Ginny's Little Longhorn.  You can hit all kinds of greatness on the #3 bus.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've lived here for almost 4 decades and just went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago with . . . well, a buddy and his girlfriend.  Absolute classic dive bar.  I'll be going back.

I lived in walking distance of Buddy's for 12 years. I should have never moved.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

define "new". and what kind of bar do you like? name a few in your wheelhouse. 

I haven't been to Austin since 2019. Mostly wondering if there's bars that are fun and not crazy expensive $17 per drink types. We're going to a couple of those but i wanted to find a place where I can take my brother in law for a bit in the afternoon while the women are having a late lunch. Especially if they have good food

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've lived here for almost 4 decades and just went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago with . . . well, a buddy and his girlfriend.  Absolute classic dive bar.  I'll be going back.

The house I grew up in is two blocks away, across Burnet.  My parents still live there.  

Many a non-rememberable night started at Trudy's, moved to Buddy's Place, and then... ???????

54 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Mostly wondering if there's bars that are fun and not crazy expensive $17 per drink types. We're going to a couple of those but i wanted to find a place where I can take my brother in law for a bit in the afternoon while the women are having a late lunch. Especially if they have good food

It's not a "bar" per se, more of a campus dive, but I'd suggest Crown & Anchor, especially if the weather is good.  Great burgers, fries, and plenty of good beers.  

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not a "bar" per se, more of a campus dive, but I'd suggest Crown & Anchor, especially if the weather is good.  Great burgers, fries, and plenty of good beers.  

That's a good idea. Hadn't been in a long time. My Google maps is telling me the last visit there was 9/22/18. Wonder what game that was? 

On 4/1/2023 at 12:57 PM, Hermanator said:

Is Floppy Disk Repair worth the effort to have to hunt down the door code?

It’s fine but it’s not going to be someplace you like so much you’ll be bringing out of towners there (in other words, you’ll check it off your list and find better, less exclusive options elsewhere).  

3784* was the code last week, no idea how often they change it, I liked here nor there and if you're a bourbon guy swifts attic has an amazing selection

the bartenders at Eddie V's lounge down the street always have it.  The Floppy disk thing is worth it for a drink if you've got out-of-towners.  It's still cool and some in your group may get a kick out of the whole deal.  You can also get a "day pass" at Here Nor There up the road, which is a better basement place to hang out longer and chat.  For a while, we had way too many members only bars, hidden bars, and popup bars.  But the two I mentioned are still doing it well with a decent crowd.  The one thing I don't miss was that trend for a few years when "craft cocktails" were all the rage, was where you had to make a reservation to just sit and drink and/or pledge a certain amount drink minimum $.  It was like a bad movie at the theater, if the service sucks or its too loud, you were still stuck there for two hours.  

Since above poster specifically mentioned university area east of IH-35...I'll throw out that if the weather is agreeable and you want to get started early before heading downtown to more booze-centered bars at night...try a crawl on East Manor.  Starting east and working towards Disch-Falk, Dai Due for charceturie and a beer, School House Pub is the neighborhood hangout, Haymaker's got a great patio and great food, Este is the coolest spot over there in terms of buildout, with Salty Sow and El Chile mixed in for more food-centered bars.  It's great eye candy over there and people watching.  And each place is close together as from the next place without being a literal strip of generic bars like other areas of town.  

Actually that east Manor area we ended up in. School House for a bit then upstairs to Techo which was great. Drinks and ambiance were nice. Licha's on east 6th or 7th was really good too. I hadn't been back to east Austin since I left school in 2008 and i didn't recognize it. We liked that scene with places like Shangri La and all the taco joints better than most of the downtown scene