• 2015 14-1 Lost NC
  • 2016 14-1 Won NC
  • 2017 12-2
  • 2018 15-0 Won NC
  • 2019 14-1 Lost NC
  • 2020 10-2
  • 2021 10-3
  • 2022 11-3

At some point Bobby, Osborne, Mack and others that had long runs sucked as times changed. The guy asking the question said that after 2018 the arrogance set in and now it is FUPM. Question would be who has gone back to being elite after going off the cliff? 

9 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

It's not *that* different than Mack from 2000-2009. 

And then Mack sucked. Like Dabo, who sucks

wut. Dabo won his conference 7 times, including 6 years in a row from 2015-2020. Mack Brown comparison has left the chat immediately lol. I wish we could compare the two because that would be awesome, but it's not reality even with your asterisks.  

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

wut. Dabo won his conference 7 times, including 6 years in a row from 2015-2020. Mack Brown comparison has left the chat immediately lol. I wish we could compare the two because that would be awesome, but it's not reality even with your asterisks.  

To be fair, the ACC was absolute trash outside of Clemson most of those years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Yes, I've seen some of all of their games which have been painful for me, as their QB is our former Westlake QB. They are terrible, for sure, and their QB, as well. But what he has accomplished is nothing short of incredible. He has earned the right to turn it around, which he may or may not do.

But it's a run Texas fans could only dream of and it makes me laugh when people post here how he sucks.  

high quality GIF

11 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

LOL, fans of other teams (including Texas) saying Dabo sucks: 

• 2011 10-4
  • 2012 11-2
  • 2013 11-2
  • 2014 10-3
  • 2015 14-1 Lost NC
  • 2016 14-1 Won NC
  • 2017 12-2
  • 2018 15-0 Won NC
  • 2019 14-1 Lost NC
  • 2020 10-2
  • 2021 10-3
  • 2022 11-3

Good I would kill for our program to have those records right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

LOL, fans of other teams (including Texas) saying Dabo sucks: 

• 2011 10-4
  • 2012 11-2
  • 2013 11-2
  • 2014 10-3
  • 2015 14-1 Lost NC
  • 2016 14-1 Won NC
  • 2017 12-2
  • 2018 15-0 Won NC
  • 2019 14-1 Lost NC
  • 2020 10-2
  • 2021 10-3
  • 2022 11-3

You forgot to mention the conference titles and taking care of business against rivals. I sure hope we can "suck" like this soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yes, I've seen some of all of their games which have been painful for me, as their QB is our former Westlake QB. They are terrible, for sure, and their QB, as well. But what he has accomplished is nothing short of incredible. He has earned the right to turn it around, which he may or may not do.
But it's a run Texas fans could only dream of and it makes me laugh when people post here how he sucks.  

I’ve watched a bunch of Clemson games. My wife is an alum. With any luck at all, Clemson is sitting at 7-1 or 6-2. Klubnick does a lot dumb things. Not sure if it's his inexperience or if he's a moron. I've never seen a team fumble this many times on the other team's goal line.

But the Tigers are trending in the wrong direction. He's refused to adapt to the new NIL landscape. I think Venables and Tony Elliott departures hurt him badly.

I am a bit shocked (and disappointed) that $11.5M per year doesn't qualify as "fuck you" money. I would like to think if I was in Dabo's shoes and I got that call I would have said something like, "You are entitled to your opinion.  Thank you for the call.  Next let's go to Bubba in Charleston."

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’ve watched a bunch of Clemson games. My wife is an alum. With any luck at all, Clemson is sitting at 7-1 or 6-2. Klubnick does a lot dumb things. Not sure if it's his inexperience or if he's a moron. I've never seen a team fumble this many times on the other team's goal line.

But the Tigers are trending in the wrong direction. He's refused to adapt to the new NIL landscape. I think Venables and Tony Elliott departures hurt him badly.

It's harder to win when your defense no longer has the other teams' signs and can anticipate what play is about to be run.

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The arrival of the (alleged) architect of the TCU Miracle as OC doesn't seem to have helped all that much...

18 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

It's harder to win when your defense no longer has the other teams' signs and can anticipate what play is about to be run.

15 minutes ago, locodos said:

or when you're not one of the only teams paying players.

Enjoy the Clempsoning

12 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The arrival of the (alleged) architect of the TCU Miracle as OC doesn't seem to have helped all that much...

All part of the puzzle for sure. But Riley has to be an improvement over Brandon Streeter, who was promoted from within when Elliott finally left. Streeter is married to one of my wife's sorority sisters, I think. Clemson has fumbled at the goal line at least 3-4 times this season that I can remember. It 100% decided the Duke game and probably last week's as well. Clemson's defense has actually been pretty good this year for the most part. I don't think Dabo is special by any means -- he was just right guy at the right time and as y'all said, was on the forefront of paying players when there weren't as many programs doing that outside of the SEC and Clemson, at least not on their level.

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I am a bit shocked (and disappointed) that $11.5M per year doesn't qualify as "fuck you" money. I would like to think if I was in Dabo's shoes and I got that call I would have said something like, "You are entitled to your opinion.  Thank you for the call.  Next let's go to Bubba in Charleston."

One is able do that when not in a panic about their current situation.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Klubnik has been very sloppy w the ball, especially with fumbles. He tries to do a lot of things he could get away with in HS cause his receivers were so much better than the defense. Now, his receivers are pretty average. He may be on a very short leash. 

5 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Klubnik has been very sloppy w the ball, especially with fumbles. He tries to do a lot of things he could get away with in HS cause his receivers were so much better than the defense. Now, his receivers are pretty average. He may be on a very short leash. 

I don't know what they have behind him TBH and they're already 2-4 in the ACC. They might as well ride it out and see if he turns a corner. He is still young -- but he does lots and lots of stupid shit on the field such as ill-advised throws, careless fumbles and not sliding when he should. He's reckless at best and dumb as a fence post at worst.

It's also a bad look for Dabo that DJ Uiagelele shined as a freshman, completely regressed and now is having success at Oregon State.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Some people had questions about how good Klubnik would be in college.  Texas never recruited him very hard.

He also has a knack for scrambling and having zero awareness of the first-down marker and stepping out a yard short. I've seen him do that a couple of times.

4 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Nothing in the ACC during Dabo's time came close to 2000s OU under Stoops. FSU had two lightning in a bottle years with Winston, and that's about all. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

At some point Bobby, Osborne, Mack and others that had long runs sucked as times changed. The guy asking the question said that after 2018 the arrogance set in and now it is FUPM. Question would be who has gone back to being elite after going off the cliff? 

Urban?*

*Need to fake near-death health issue(s) and change schools.

Edited by Captain Obvious

16 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I'm not saying Swinney sucks, but what I will say, because I've always said it and because it is true, is that it is pretty fucking easy to be a dominate force in anything when you are willing to break rules or laws in order to gain a competitive advantage over foes who aren't willing to do the same.

All of what Clemson has done is far less impressive when viewed through reality that there's been somewhere between 5-10 schools (depending upon the year) in each recruiting cycle prior to 2022 who were running a black market for buying players while everyone else abstained. 

It was systemic cheating at scale and Clemson and Swinney were right in the middle of it. We discussed it all as it was ramping in the sport in the 2000's contemporaneously and have continued to do so. 

So, sure, they had a great run and cheated better than all but Alabama and Georgia during that period. Congrats to all of them. Now that the ground has shifted between Dabo's feet, he's petulantly lashing out in different directions and simultaneously refusing to change. He's late stage Mack at Texas and it is a lot of fun to watch for those of us who follow recruiting and have witnessed his holier-than-thou disingenuous bullshit over the years.

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s really fun watching coaches that used to win by paying players lose now that other teams can pay players legally. Fuck him and fuck his fake church ass

Exactly.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I don't know what they have behind him TBH and they're already 2-4 in the ACC. They might as well ride it out and see if he turns a corner. He is still young -- but he does lots and lots of stupid shit on the field such as ill-advised throws, careless fumbles and not sliding when he should. He's reckless at best and dumb as a fence post at worst.

It's also a bad look for Dabo that DJ Uiagelele shined as a freshman, completely regressed and now is having success at Oregon State.

On the recruiting forum, we talked plenty about Klubnik while he was starring at Westlake. I was relieved that Sarkisian didn't go after him when he got to Texas. I viewed Klubnik as a long strider, buoyed by an all star cast around him and a great system. Sarkisian told folks at the time that he didn't think some of what they saw on film was fixable and he had better options. Maalik Murphy was certainly an interesting alternative. Not sold on him yet either, but ok.

One of the gratifying things to witness as a fan of this fine sport is how the media and Swinney have handled the talking points on Klubnik.

First, they quietly questioned and mocked the local schools for not pushing harder for Klubnik. Texas in particular.

Then, as DJU was stinking it up, the conversation casually turned in the media to "they have another Trevor Lawrence 5 star type with Klubnik waiting in the wings. Might need to push him out there sooner than planned to redirect the season."

Then this summer, Swinney goes on a hype tour speaking of Klubnik in absolutely glowing terms. He couldn't speak of Jesus or Mother Theresa with more praise and reverence. I listened to him talk to XM ACC radio at ACC Media Days and it was so over the top that ended up laughing in my car by myself while listening.

Now, everyone is basically identifying Klubnik as a problem and many in the media are starting to imply that they'd wondered about him the whole way. Uggghhh, no. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The starting salary that Dabo is bitching about is ~ $1.4M in today's dollars. I mean, it's not Fisher money, but you'd think they were paying him pennies when he took over. These are the same coaches that will preach about the love of the game, and why the student athlete should just be grateful for gettin scholarships.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

If I made that kind of money I wouldn't be in a panic about shit.

Well, sure, if you're thinking like somebody in a suburban house with a nice car and a job in some anonymous office somewhere. "Hey, this is great!" Me too. 

You don't get far in big money public world with a healthy ego. I think Swinney and others at that level care more about their status as one of the best than money at this point. That healthy ego can become a profoundly myopic beast whose capacious hunger became accustomed to regular feeding.

That beast is missing some meals and furious. Entitlement has set in. Dabo is now being embarrassed on the stage where he was once a diva. Now, we see the desperate struggle to reconstruct that happier world. Think of Mack Brown putting all his chips on Tyrone Swoopes; I'm sure he was sure that he had another VY. Similar color and build and all. Delusion born of desperation.

I don't think it's the bank account that matters most in the ugly decline of successful coaches. It's ego, and it isn't even close.

ETA As nicely illustrated above, Jimbo seems to be parlaying early reputation and moldering success into money by intent. 

Edited by RomaVicta