Texas @ TCU Series

TrashMaster G

@GreenspointTexas started a good thread on expectations for the Big 3 on the old site before Kevin Morgan fucked it all up. It's probably worth a new thread on this site. I think I agree with most posters, with the condition that coaches who are rebuilding a program should get a little more leeway before they reach year 5 as long as they demonstrate an obvious upwards trajectory. Winning the conference in Year 2 and making it to Omaha, and bringing in a really good first full recruiting class would indicate that we're on the right track, even with missteps here and there.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/185185-Big-3-Standards

Edited by Machinator

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fair point in relation to reasonable expectations.

However, I think a regional loss kind of means a disappointing season by Texas standards.

That’s definitely below what we should expect most years, but this team is unusually lacking talent and depth compared to most Texas teams, including next year and the year after. I’m not saying we should permanently lower our expectations, just this year due to roster issues and injuries.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s definitely below what we should expect most years, but this team is unusually lacking talent and depth compared to most Texas teams, including next year and the year after. I’m not saying we should permanently lower our expectations, just this year due to roster issues and injuries.

I don't know man. They don't seem unusual at all for any Texas team post 2010. If anything I have more confidence in their talent and depth than in many of these recent years.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know man. They don't seem unusual at all for any Texas team post 2010. If anything I have more confidence in their talent and depth than in many of these recent years.

This is the worst defensive team we’ve had in many years.  It’s not only due to Hamilton getting injured, either. 

Offensively we do not slug well   I would hestitate to say we slug as well as the typical Texas team of recent years but I haven’t looked it up   

It seems to me we have typical Texas arm talent but it is mainly young and  unsure of itself. 

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This is the worst defensive team we’ve had in many years.  It’s not only due to Hamilton getting injured, either. 

Offensively we do not slug well   I would hestitate to say we slug as well as the typical Texas team of recent years but I haven’t looked it up   

It seems to me we have typical Texas arm talent but it is mainly young and  unsure of itself. 

Yet I think they can do better than 39-24, 25-32, 30-27, 27-24-1, and 30-22 records of our recent clubs. So far they are winning at a higher clip than any of those teams and the schedule is not getting any harder.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I have lots of confidence in this club when it matters.  This may be one of our better teams,  I'm excited for this season still.  This team should only get better as the season progresses.

It wasn't that long ago that we had team(s) that did not win a conference series for over 700 days... so "this is the worst defensive team" is a bit of hyperbole.  

12 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

If you are Pierce, what is the first thing you do to help this team in the games ahead?

I don't know man. Today's 8th inning non-withstanding I really like how he has addressed the fielding woes so far. I don't know what the heck is going on with Ryan Reynolds but for every error he makes he has a few amazing plays in there.

I think he thought he was finding a few guys from the bullpen and mostly they let him down this weekend. I don't know how we push the right buttons there. The one guy I thought we had to slam the door was Quintanilla and we saw how that went today.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know man. Today's 8th inning non-withstanding I really like how he has addressed the fielding woes so far. I don't know what the heck is going on with Ryan Reynolds but for every error he makes he has a few amazing plays in there.

I think he thought he was finding a few guys from the bullpen and mostly they let him down this weekend. I don't know how we push the right buttons there. The one guy I thought we had to slam the door was Quintanilla and we saw how that went today.

I think we just let them play, the mistakes will drop off.    Or I'm just a sunshine pumper again.   This has been the best two year stretch we've had in a while with nothing but upside.  Yeah.  full koolaid here.

Edited by petscii
  • Like 1

we should be hosting a regional 2 out of 4 years if the program is healthy.  I will say that at some point we need to get credit for the schedule we are playing.  yes you can't lose every game but if we play a tough schedule, do OK, as it relates to record but they say "oh, can't have too many Texas or Big 12 teams hosting, need to spread them around" then it defeats the purpose of scheduling difficulty.

Well, furk.  Baseball can be a mean sport.  Two fucking mean games for the Horns after starting so well in all 3 games this weekend.
Pierce will get them in shape.  Lots of learning moments to build from, furk.  Tough to watch those last 4 innings.

I agree. Watching that series pissed me off. So, the romantic part of me would want to know what Augie would’ve said to them after the game ended today.

10 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I agree. Watching that series pissed me off. So, the romantic part of me would want to know what Augie would’ve said to them after the game ended today.

DP said on the radio he does not usually address the team, that struck me as odd.

"just play catch"   "just put the ball in play"  "easy-peasy"