C- Jericho Sims

bench:

Jase Febres

Eli Mitrou-Long

Royce Hamm

Will Baker

Kai Jones

Donovan Williams

As of now it looks to be (at best) Shaka's second worst team at Texas, and nowhere near as good as this year's super disappointing team. Fucking stupid. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, vin2basketball said:

Would you not project Will Baker as a starter?

nope. I don't know if you saw the SDSU game the other night, but they have a guy named Mike Daum who, if Baker is as good as Daum is when he's a senior, I'll be thrilled. Baker has some savvy and skill, and in all honesty a really nice skill set to work with, but to me he's a four year player. he needs to get much stronger, he needs to get into much better shape, and then how good he becomes will ultimately come down to his work ethic (i've heard his is questionable), and the quality of the coaching he gets (as long as Shaka's here that's no good). i think you'll be able to see what type of skill set Baker has to work with his freshman year, but he won't be ready to be an impact player for a year at least, imo.

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

this would be a relevant time for me to copy/pate a post i made int the recurring thread recently:

a4a58f53598905fb89bc1d27c5b8a482.jpg

Good take on the star rating. The guys 20-30 have a lot more in common with each other than they do with the guys 1-5.

It's not like football where you have 30-40 players that are similar prospect wise.

38 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

this would be a relevant time for me to copy/pate a post i made int the recurring thread recently:

a4a58f53598905fb89bc1d27c5b8a482.jpg

It’s the nature of basketball. More than any of the major sports, basketballs elite stand above everyone else. Your point is spot on though that they need way fewer five star players. Realistically I think 5-10 max for 5 stars in b-ball. There are also way too many 4 star prospects.

The nba is the perfect example of this. There’s somewhere between 1-15 real difference makers in the league and really only probably 1-8 of those guys are really elites. Those are the 5 star guys, the next grouping should be 4 star. Everyone else is a role player essentially.

go watch will baker and then go watch kj adams or greg brown iii- you'll see the difference in what a real 5 star looks like. 

BTW, Brown and Adams are two huge factors in this whole Shaka saga. I can't see any way we land them without canning Shaka this year. If he's a dead man walking next season then we're all going to watch a true 5 star kid from the greater Austin area go to KU, followed by another 5 star from Austin going elsewhere the following year. Shaka has got to go for so many reasons, and landing these two guys is up there near the top of the list. We cannot lose the two best Austin area players since Chris Mihm to conference rivals. 

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

go watch will baker and then go watch kj adams or greg brown iii- you'll see the difference in what a real 5 star looks like. 

BTW, Brown and Adams are two huge factors in this whole Shaka saga. I can't see any way we land them without canning Shaka this year. If he's a dead man walking next season then we're all going to watch a true 5 star kid from the greater Austin area go to KU, followed by another 5 star from Austin going elsewhere the following year. Shaka has got to go for so many reasons, and landing these two guys is up there near the top of the list. We cannot lose the two best Austin area players since Chris Mihm to conference rivals. 

Whoa whoa whoa, don’t be selling my boy AJ short Derka.

Ramey has to be our leader next year. Originally committed to play for Pitino at Louisville, he's the exact type of versatile, hard nosed hooper we've been missing at guard. The right coach could have Ramey and a healthy Jones carrying Texas to a better-than-expected season next year. 

And I agree, it took Shaka far too long to realize what he had in Ramey. 

37 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Whoa whoa whoa, don’t be selling my boy AJ short Derka.

I feel sorry for people who didn't get to see AJ play in HS. Dead serious, when i got introduced to Steph Curry during his time at Davidson, I was like, "this guy plays like AJ did in HS." AJ is easily one of the best three point marksmen I've seen in major D-1 ball, but in HS he scored from everywhere, even at the rim, and he was unstoppable. Completely unstoppable. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Need to go grab a grad transfer wing that can shoot. The back court should be decent to good with Ramey, Coleman, Febres, Long, Williams and hopefully a healthy Andrew Jones. Texas has options in the front court with Hamm, Sims, Baker, Jones, and Hepa. 

I have no clue about Liddell and Cunningham. 

The glaring hole is they need a wing  that can shoot. He's a little undersized but Texas should be all over Rayjon Tucker. 

https://thespun.com/big-12/kansas-jayhawks/arkansas-little-rock-star-rayjon-tucker-considering-transfer-to-kansas

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

My vote is Mitrou-Long. He didn’t get any minutes tonight and during the tourney his playing time diminished by a lot.

Donovan Williams is very similar to Ramey IMO. Long, versatile, can defend, and is a playmaker. He's going to come in and win some minutes that's almost a guarantee. 

Throw in Coleman, Ramey, and maybe Andrew Jones I'm not sure where Long would get the minutes next year. He's going to be at best the 4th option next year in the backcourt and maybe the 5th if Jones is healthy. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On 3/22/2019 at 8:16 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

I could see Ramey in the transfer portal. Was incredibly underutilized until Roach got suspended. I’d be pissed if I were him, he can easily jump ship and land on a much better team.

If Ramey leaves I will vomit in agony. 

Ramey is basically the go to guy next year for handling the ball in crunch time.  He did that WAY better than Roach and Coleman in the last few games when given the chance.

It's mind-boggling that Hamm and Liddell got so little play this year, and Hepa didn't get enough play to benefit from, other than perhaps getting a dose of the speed and strength he will need to play with at this level.

I think Cunningham's role, if he gets a chance to play, will be to stand around outside the 3 point line on offense and play as a corner defender in the zone.  Maybe the fact he and the Baker played in HS together will benefit them both somehow?

We'll be in trouble if someone besides Simms and Hamm is not ready to play some meaningful minutes inside on both ends of the court.

I saw encouraging play and encouraging personnel use in the NIT, but can't think of a why it took that long to get things going.  The team (and coaching plan) seemed a lot better when there was no pressure to win.  They folded multiple times in a row when they needed just one win to make the NCAA tournament.  That shit needs to change.

As much as I was not a fan of Roach's discipline, pouting, low bball IQ, shit leadership, and turnover propensity, and hated DO's inability to make a 1' shot and his periods of flat out unmotivated, lazy play, the point and rebound totals they put on the boxscore are going to need to be covered by someone else next year.  I'd prefer not to see us fall back on the 35, 3-point shots a game strategy for the first 20 games next year.

The players on the roster for next year should allow a good coach to hit 20-22 wins fairly easily.  Fuck "good losses" and not showing up for scrub games like OSU, TCU and Georgia.  And fuck pissing away 19 point leads at the end of games.

Since it looks like Shaka is staying, can we send him and his assistants to apprentice over the summer with Izzo?... and, let Jai Lucas go to A&M.  

• Like 1

Items to work on.

Coleman - quickness, pace and shooting floaters better.

Ramey - temper, recognizing picks and shooting.

Febres - defensive effort, concentration, driving and shooting.

Hepa - lateral quickness, overall quickness, strength and shooting.

Sims - concentration, defensive effort and shooting.

Jones - health.

Liddell - strength and shooting.

Mitrou-Long - concentration, intensity and shooting

Hamm - defensive skills and ability to make outside shots.

Cunningham - quickness and shooting.

Baker - strength, quickness and shooting.

Jones - shooting.

Williams - shooting.

Play Hepa and Sims together and Hamm and Baker together, but not Hepa and Baker together unless there is significant improvement in quickness and toughness.

How tough and how hard can Texas play next year?  They played hard in NIT, can they do that from game 1-40?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juke_Em said:

It all depends on Coleman. We all knew he would be a 4-year PG...year 3 is where he needs to take a major leap if he wants to be the experienced PG that this team has lacked for years.

Good thing Shaka has such a strong track record of developing guys who stay in the program multiple years. I mean just look at all the guys who have improved over an entire offseason with this staff.

giphy.gif

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

Projected roster as of today:
G- Matt Coleman
G-Courtney Ramey
G- Andrew Jones
F- Kamaka Hepa
C- Jericho Sims

bench:

Jase Febres
Eli Mitrou-Long
Royce Hamm
Will Baker
Kai Jones
Donovan Williams

As of now it looks to be (at best) Shaka's second worst team at Texas, and nowhere near as good as this year's super disappointing team. Fucking stupid. 

So Back to Back National Champions it is then!

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Just looked them up in Kenpom, why the fuck would they leave. They were the 3rd and 4th most utilized players om the roster. 

lol, i know right? a pair like this (i'm assuming they're a package) doesn't just come along every year.