Hindsight is 20/20- The 2019-20 Texas Longhorns thread

Goo Punch

On 4/19/2019 at 10:48 AM, Machinator said:

Inside Texas is saying that Texas A&M guard Admon Gilder is a possible transfer candidate we could bring in. They're also saying that Hamm and Mitrou-Long might be on their way out.

God damn that is frustrating, particularly re: Hamm if true. The amount of turnover with his rosters is something the likes of which i've never seen before, and the amount of decent-good players he signs only to never play them and watch them transfer out is maddening. Our roster is a goddamn revolving door, year after year. There's no possible way to build a program like this. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

DO seems to being doing good work in his efforts to play professionally. Contrary to some beliefs,  basketball is important to him.  I guess having a girlfriend doesn't render basketball as inconsequential.  

he sure as shit looked like one morose motherfucker up until the last maybe six weeks if his entire career here. looking at that, plus his doughy physique and his inability to score from point blank range, and you can see how one might come to the conclusion that he doesn't love the game. 

gotta love this about shaggy- you can't give a single opinion without someone trying to rub it in your face months later if it turns out to be wrong. which btw i still don't think he loves the game, but dope call out nonetheless. i'll be sure to remember it. 

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Good lord man that complex of yours could sink the Titanic.

jesus guy, stop following me around making inane little comments like this. catdaddyhorn called me out and i responded to him. where do you fit into the equation? 

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Paranoia paranoia everybody's comin' to get me

more brilliant stuff from the most inane poster on this board. someone makes a post towards me, i respond, and in your mind that makes me paranoid and means i have "a complex." i guess that makes two of us, seeing as you're responding to my posts towards you. 

Edited by Goo Punch

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Apparently Luke Yaklich is a candidate to replace Darrin Horn as assistant coach.

Oh shit!! That's huge if true. He's the "Defensive Coordinator" that Beilein hired who transformed them into one of the best defensive teams in the country. The two best defenses John Belien has ever coached came these last two years after Yaklich took over. In 2018 they were 3rd in AdjD (90.5), and last year they were 2nd in AdjD, behind only TTU, with an insane 86.2 rating that is one of the best AdjD in the history of KenPom. Michigan was 2.2 points better than the next team, #3 K State. He would be an absolute home run hire. 

Fuck man. As much as I want Shaka gone there's no denying that Neil Berry has improved our offense, and Yaklich would be a total stud defensive hiring. If Shaka can keep recruiting at the same level, stay out of his assistants' way, and stop with the camp counselor shit and start treating his guys like men then this clown might actually fuck around and save his own ass. Either that, or somehow one-up himself from last year's underachieving team that was top 25 in kenpom and top 30 in both AdjO and AdjD yet went 16-16 and earned a 2 seed in the NIT. If we add Yaklich to the staff then even Shaka would have a hard time fucking things up. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

well that's pretty big. at this point our assistants actually have more stripes than the HC, who i obviously still want gone, but if he has to remain at Texas then at least he'll finally have something resembling a top flight staff. 

Yaklich has coached like 2 years total of high major ball. He's a prime example of the type of coach you vilified Shaka for hiring when he came here. What stripes exactly? Have any of them been a head coach of a Final 4 team? 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yaklich has coached like 2 years total of high major ball. He's a prime example of the type of coach you vilified Shaka for hiring when he came here. What stripes exactly? Have any of them been a head coach of a Final 4 team? 

Beilein trusted him and he produced immediate results at Michigan. That's good enough for me.

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

no in fact he is not like David Cason, Mike Morrell, or Jai Lucas. Not even close. Yaklich was hired to fix MU's defense and in two years he fielded the two best defenses of John Beilein's career. That alone legitimately trumps everything that Cason, Morrell, and Lucas have ever done combined. Michigan's defense last year was one of the 3-4 best defenses of the KenPom era. what have Cason, Morrell, and Lucas done that is similar? Absolutely nothing.

Neil Berry was brought in to fix Shaka's offense and in one year took Texas from 89th to 29th, despite his best players being the likes of Roach and DO. What did any of the previous assistants do that was anywhere near as impactful? nothing.

our new offensive and defensive assistants have proven their worth at this level. none of our previous assistants can say the same, and neither can the HC. 

Edited by Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Beilein trusted him and he produced immediate results at Michigan. That's good enough for me.

Same here,  but then again I didn't make inane comments about assistant coaches with 2 years experience in high major ball having more "stripes" than a headcoach who took his team to the final 4. I especially didn't make comments lauding a guy for supposed "stripes" when for the past 3 years resumes like his caused me to vomit up untold mountains of text on various longhorn boards as proof of how incompetent our coach is. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Same here,  but then again I didn't make inane comments about assistant coaches with 2 years experience in high major ball having more "stripes" than a headcoach who took his team to the final 4. I especially didn't make comments lauding a guy for supposed "stripes" when for the past 3 years resumes like his caused me to vomit up untold mountains of text on various longhorn boards as proof of how incompetent our coach is. 

you sure are pissy towards me lately. you sure this is the road you wanna go down? is this how it's going to be? because i've got no problem going full derka all over this bitch if you're going to keep talking a bunch of shit towards me out of nowhere. this is twice now within a week where you've decided to run your mouth at me like this out of nowhere. next time i'm not gonna hold back.

aactually fuck it, let's start now: you're hopelessly retarded if you truly believe that Morrell, Lucas, and Cason have resumes that match Yaklich. The three of them combined have more than three decades as assistant coaches and this guy did more for Michigan in two seasons than the three of them have cumulatively done in their careers. take your retarded pissy attitude and your shitty, incorrect hot takes and go fuck yourself with them. 

Edited by Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Twice within a week?? What are you talking about?

What am I talking about? I'm trying to talk about our new assistant hires and how they're going to help get our program back to being respectable. What the hell are you talking about, besides needlessly and inexplicably running your mouth at me every other day out of nowhere? you disagree with my take? do so like a fucking adult, and use facts, stats, and your own original opinions, not a bunch of juvenile shit talk with nothing of substance thrown in.

and yes, both of these assistants have earned their stripes more than Shaka has. both have been highly regarded assistants who've climbed the ranks based on actual performance, and who when given promotions to top flight programs have been exactly as advertised. meanwhile shaka has been a thoroughly underwhelming HC for his entire career, one who gets out coached on a nightly basis everywhere he goes, but he did catch lightning in a bottle that one time. from where i sit it isn't even close as to who has and hasn't earned their stripes. by all accounts Berry and Yaklich are certified top flight assistants, while Shaka remains arguably the worst coach in the conference who last year did less with more than probably any coach in America/ you tell me who's got stripes and who doesn't. 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this retarded shit talk that's coming my way. Yaklich is essentially the Chris Beard of college assistant coaches, and my praising him has caused catfaddyhorn to lash out at me and insult me and essentially pick a fight with me. what the fuck sense does that make? and i'm supposed to be the off-kilter, belligerent shit starter around here. fuck outta here. 

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

What am I talking about? I'm trying to talk about our new assistant hires and how they're going to help get our program back to being respectable. What the hell are you talking about, besides needlessly and inexplicably running your mouth at me every other day out of nowhere? you disagree with my take? do so like a fucking adult, and use facts, stats, and your own original opinions, not a bunch of juvenile shit talk with nothing of substance thrown in.

and yes, both of these assistants have earned their stripes more than Shaka has. both have been highly regarded assistants who've climbed the ranks based on actual performance, and who when given promotions to top flight programs have been exactly as advertised. meanwhile shaka has been a thoroughly underwhelming HC for his entire career, one who gets out coached on a nightly basis everywhere he goes, but he did catch lightning in a bottle that one time. from where i sit it isn't even close as to who has and hasn't earned their stripes. by all accounts Berry and Yaklich are certified top flight assistants, while Shaka remains arguably the worst coach in the conference who last year did less with more than probably any coach in America/ you tell me who's got stripes and who doesn't. 

The "what am I talking about?" is in reference to you saying I'm following you around. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I guess I don't keep track of posters or points I disagree with unless they blitzkrieg the forum with the same post like you did on this specific topic over a 3 to 4 year period. 

As to the notion that Berry had this long running resume of achievement before he came here, he was so highly regarded before joining Iowa St that he wasn't even deemed worthy of being a full-time assistant coach when he got there only 4 years ago. And you didn't know a damn thing about him before Shaka hired him. So stop pretending like him being a net benefit was a foregone conclusion. My ultimate point is that you don't know jack shit about who is and isn't highly regarded in assistant coaching circles. So for you to get on here and trumpet these guys or downgrade others as if you are some sort of all knowing purveyor of college basketball assistants is maddening, especially when guys with the same empty resumes get praised by you in one instance and then torched by you explicitly for their resumes in another instance. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I guess this is what qualifies as shit starting. 

yeah it was definitely that, and not describing my posts as "inane", or as "vomiting up untold mountains of text", or the passive aggressive use of quotation marks around "stripes", or the obviously indignant and belligerent tone of your post towards me. 🙄 i dunno what's gotten into you but you're normally above this. 

Edited by Goo Punch

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

If Yaklich comes to Texas hopefully he was paying attention to the Beilein 3 pt shooting drills during his non-defensive coaching time.  

The most important drill for the Wolverines in practice, not surprisingly, is a 3-point shooting drill. Players take 50 3-pointers in five minutes, and they have to make a certain number to avoid having to run sprints.

Beilein says he wants his players to run those sprints and get their legs in shape so they can get some lift on the 3-point heaves, especially late in games. Merritt said the conditioning program at Michigan was turned upside down this season, with less focus on weight training and more work on agility and on strengthening legs.

Michigan’s long-range avalanche has a significant downside. Missed 3-pointers usually mean long rebounds and a chance for the opponent to run a fast break.

In the Michigan scheme, the two-guard is supposed to get back to the other end of the floor immediately when a shot goes up, unless he is the player shooting. The point guard is supposed to pick up the ball early to thwart a quick break.

“When we’re on, it’s tough to stop us, especially if you haven’t played us before,” Merritt said. “We’ve got a mentality that we are all good shooters. If you have an open shot, Coach encourages you to take it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/sports/ncaabasketball/21michigan.html

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, Goo Punch said:

go watch will baker and then go watch kj adams or greg brown iii- you'll see the difference in what a real 5 star looks like. 

BTW, Brown and Adams are two huge factors in this whole Shaka saga. I can't see any way we land them without canning Shaka this year. If he's a dead man walking next season then we're all going to watch a true 5 star kid from the greater Austin area go to KU, followed by another 5 star from Austin going elsewhere the following year. Shaka has got to go for so many reasons, and landing these two guys is up there near the top of the list. We cannot lose the two best Austin area players since Chris Mihm to conference rivals. 

hey listen, i still 100% do not believe that Shaka is a Big XII caliber coach, but with his new staff he seriously may perform well enough to land one, if not both GB III and KJ, as they will be the two biggest ATX are prospects in the next two classes. I'd easily rather have Shaka + Berry + Yaklich + Brown + KJ than to have none of them. Easily. This year is pivotal for the recruitment of GB III and pretty important for KJ as well. Let's hope we do well enough to stay relevant to these guys, if nothing else.

Edited by Goo Punch

On 5/3/2019 at 8:54 AM, Brian Fantana said:

Good lord man that complex of yours could sink the Titanic.

It's simply the approach you take as a Longhorn basketball fan as well as an Arsenal fan.

My take on next years basketball season.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Much needed, I don’t believe we will have a guy blocking shots like we have every other season under Shaka.

Can he fix the rebounding?

Michigan was bad at defensive rebounding the season immediately preceding Yaklich and were much better the two seasons he coached there, but they were also decent at defensive rebounding before then, too.

None of Beilein's teams have been good at offensive rebounding.

Guest Lobo

If there's one thing the 3 Major Sports at Texas have proven over the last 10 years is that our marquee assistant hires have ALWAYS  resulted in massive on the field/court/diamond success.  

I mean, I think the list speaks for itself.  Or do we need to go into detail between Augie, Rick, Shaka, Mack, Strong hires in the last decade?  It's a who's-who of the coaching tree of success....

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

this is a huge fucking get for you guys, he turned Michigan from a run and gun live by the 3 die by the 3 to a beast on defense that could muck it up and win games. 

After losing B-line there was hope that he would stick aroudn to help the transition as he was a beast recruiter as well. 

Sucks. 

15 minutes ago, Juicy said:

this is a huge fucking get for you guys, he turned Michigan from a run and gun live by the 3 die by the 3 to a beast on defense that could muck it up and win games. 

After losing B-line there was hope that he would stick aroudn to help the transition as he was a beast recruiter as well. 

Losing Yaklich sucks for a couple different reasons. Michigan was 3rd and 2nd in defensive efficiency during his two seasons in Ann Arbor, and that was all his show. Some of that could be chalked up to Yaklich walking into two of the best defenders Michigan's ever had. But three-fifths of the starting lineup in 2017-18 was Moe Wagner, Duncan Robinson, and Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman. None of those guys were plus defenders individually. Wagner had a 2% block rate!

Also Yaklich was the primary recruiter on Jalen Wilson and getting him back in the fold is a longer shot now.

this is great for you guys