Hindsight is 20/20- The 2019-20 Texas Longhorns thread

Goo Punch

That's what Shaka needs to do to succeed here- be the Mack Brown father figure/CEO type; recruit well, but delegate to your assistants, especially now that we have a real deal staff in place. Add Greg Brown III and then hopefully KJ Adams and Shaka will be here for more than a decade. Will all of that happen? Probably not. But that's Shaka's best bet to survive here imo.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 1:12 AM, Goo Punch said:
There is no more Machinator. I have usurped his throne. There is only Goo of House Punch, First of his Name, King of the Handles and the Sixth Men, Lord of the Big XII, and Protector of the Rim. 

spacer.png

On 10/31/2019 at 1:37 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

Not bad -- a tight win over a below average team from a mediocre conference. At this rate, we've got a decent chance of making the NIT again this year.

<confetti drop.gif>

Lol GTFO with this horseshit. Fucking hater. 

I'm extremely impressed with Gerald Liddell. Trading away Roach's spastic decision making in the clutch for Liddell's calm demeanor  and AJ1's great decision making will hopefully bode well for this season.  Gerald seems like he'll do whatever you need him to do at the whatever time you need it. He killed a lot of potential Purdue runs by making some crucial baskets both in the first and second half. 

• Like 5

In case yah missed this... Class act by Purdue

b7ad7cad-fe7e-45d8-8026-77fa1963c4bb-191.

"Andrew Jones is unstoppable" sign hangs by the Paint Crew student section for Texas guard Andrew Jones (1) prior to the start 

Great article found by @GringoSalado  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2019/11/09/texas-tops-purdue-leukemia-survivor-andrew-jones-honors-tyler-trent/2545700001/

• Like 3

I only caught the last 7 mins or so of the game, but liked what I saw.... just need to get a third big man consistently contributing defense and boards off the bench... still not sold on Febres getting almost 40 mins a game when he is shooting poorly and offers very little defense or rebounding ... be nice to try/see other options during the preconference games 

On 11/6/2019 at 11:57 PM, Goo Punch said:

That's what Shaka needs to do to succeed here- be the Mack Brown father figure/CEO type; recruit well, but delegate to your assistants, especially now that we have a real deal staff in place. Add Greg Brown III and then hopefully KJ Adams and Shaka will be here for more than a decade. Will all of that happen? Probably not. But that's Shaka's best bet to survive here imo.

Yaklich is the real deal.  How long do we keep him?  Can we clone him?   Will we extend Shaka for 10 years the day Yaklich takes a HC gig?  Mack Brown is a great comparison....

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

In case yah missed this... Class act by Purdue

b7ad7cad-fe7e-45d8-8026-77fa1963c4bb-191.

"Andrew Jones is unstoppable" sign hangs by the Paint Crew student section for Texas guard Andrew Jones (1) prior to the start 

Great article found by @GringoSalado  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2019/11/09/texas-tops-purdue-leukemia-survivor-andrew-jones-honors-tyler-trent/2545700001/

Great Find on Twitter by @SDG

I'm now a huge fan of Purdue!!  🤘  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

fwiw-

05f4880add21d21aaf786b0b44cf2edd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know how he does his ratings system at the beginning of the season?  Is the bulk of the ratings initially based on each team's performance in prior seasons or is it totally based on their performance this season?

26 minutes ago, smakashart said:

i wouldn't of minded hamm transferring & banks staying.........he would look mighty well in the burnt orange about right now

\

i remember doing a post last year where i threw out 3 or 4 blind resumes and asked shaggy (surly, whatever) to identify them. Long story short, the post showed that Banks' first year at G Tech was comparable statistically to the first year stats of guys like Bamba, Hayes, and Tristan. The fact that Shaka named him to his gold medal winning Team USA squad makes his loss all the more puzzling. 

On 11/11/2019 at 9:47 AM, Fozzz said:

Do you know how he does his ratings system at the beginning of the season?  Is the bulk of the ratings initially based on each team's performance in prior seasons or is it totally based on their performance this season?

This is an oversimplification, but it's sort of a rolling average based on the previous 8-9 seasons. As the current season progresses, the current season data takes on progressively more weight in the calculation; if memory serves, by about the halfway point in the season the preseason rankings are out of the equation entirely. This is an older discussion about how he does it, but I think it's largely the same now.

https://kenpom.com/blog/2016-preseason-ratings/

• Like 1

something random i was just wondering about- did we ever ask Chauncey Billups to play any sort of role with our program, being that he was (maybe still is?) living in town with his daughter being an athlete on campus? whether it be as some sort of advisor, or even just coming to watch practice and talk to the team every now and then, it seems like something we would have done, and something we would have heard about. 

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

something random i was just wondering about- did we ever ask Chauncey Billups to play any sort of role with our program, being that he was (maybe still is?) living in town with his daughter being an athlete on campus? whether it be as some sort of advisor, or even just coming to watch practice and talk to the team every now and then, it seems like something we would have done, and something we would have heard about. 

I want help for Texas Basketball from "The Shot Doctor" Chip Engelland

https://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Along those same lines I've always wondered if Shaka has ever enlisted the help or even feedback from Dr. Kirk Goldsberry.

• Like 1

I loved reading his stuff on Grantland so when I found out he was teaching at UT I was elated.

I'm actually fairly certain that Shaka has already met with him behind the scenes.  Part of the reason Shaka has gotten such a pass at UT for his mediocrity is because the administration and many on the faculty love him. He regularly engages with faculty and hangs out with them socially. Add all that in to Shaka's zealotry for analytics and the fact that both he and Goldsberry are the same age, there's probably a 99% chance he's discussed things with him behind the scenes.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

I am intrigued by the realization that we might be good this season. I feel kind of bad for saying mean things about Shaka this offseason.

This still feels like a “Shaka good” year. 8-10 in conference, make the tourney as a 10-ish seed, lose in the first round. Would love to be wrong.

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Along those same lines I've always wondered if Shaka has ever enlisted the help or even feedback from Dr. Kirk Goldsberry.

If interested, here are a couple of older posts on Dr Kirk Goldsberry who is a professor at The University of Texas, and currently teaches Sports Analytics within the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am intrigued by the realization that we might be good this season. I feel kind of bad for saying mean things about Shaka this offseason.

If you mean good by Shaka standards, then sure, we might be good, as in finishing about middle of the pack in the Big 12 and getting like an 8 seed. If you mean actually good, then it's still pretty unlikely. We're still running low pace, high turnover, poor shot selection offense. Our pick n roll game and off ball movement has improved quite a bit, which is awesome because it helps the team and makes them imminently more watchable, but there's still quite a limit on our ceiling with all the aforementioned factors that have been a consistent them every year under Shaka. That and our lack of big men will really hurt us come conference play. 

The perimeter defense has taken a huge step forward with Yaklich taking it over and that will be a big improvement from last year, but Shaka is still holding this program back. Hopefully he can improve some of the issues mentioned above, but there's really no reason to expect it until we actually see it, and it's certainly not time to eat crow over legitimate complaints about Shaka's coaching.

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

@LTtxfanForgot you posted about Goldsberry early in this thread. 

Doesn't matter, I forgot too.... All Good!!

Really enjoy these Texas Basketball discussions and hope Yaklich and Berry are allowed to do their jobs... if so this Texas team could really improve this year and be fun to watch!!  🤘

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If you mean good by Shaka standards, then sure, we might be good, as in finishing about middle of the pack in the Big 12 and getting like an 8 seed. If you mean actually good, then it's still pretty unlikely. We're still running low pace, high turnover, poor shot selection offense. Our pick n roll game and off ball movement has improved quite a bit, which is awesome because it helps the team and makes them imminently more watchable, but there's still quite a limit on our ceiling with all the aforementioned factors that have been a consistent them every year under Shaka. That and our lack of big men will really hurt us come conference play. 

The perimeter defense has taken a huge step forward with Yaklich taking it over and that will be a big improvement from last year, but Shaka is still holding this program back. Hopefully he can improve some of the issues mentioned above, but there's really no reason to expect it until we actually see it, and it's certainly not time to eat crow over legitimate complaints about Shaka's coaching.

We've actually been fairly good during Shaka's tenure in the turnover department. It's the lack of rebounding that has always been his Achilles heel.  Poor shot selection has been a reoccurring issue over the past 2 seasons.  

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Does this chart exist for NCAA somewhere?  I guarantee it does not look this way for UT.  Maybe it does with just lower numbers everywhere.  We have 4 yrs of Shaka stats...agree Goldberry needs to make one for Shaka.

article3.jpg

14 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Does this chart exist for NCAA somewhere?  I guarantee it does not look this way for UT.  Maybe it does with just lower numbers everywhere.  We have 4 yrs of Shaka stats...agree Goldberry needs to make one for Shaka.

article3.jpg

Yeah, one of my issues with employing analytics driven strategy in college basketball is that many of the conclusions drawn for higher skilled NBA players isn't necessarily true for college players.  And I don't necessarily think there's a sufficient enough dataset for college play to really suss out overriding areas of inefficiencies. Maybe there's some mapping done that I'm not aware of,  but with such a large disparity in talent across the board what can it really tell us about individual teams? NBA arenas are setup with numerous cameras all around the arena mapping out every player and every situation that takes place throughout a game.  Then thre data collected is fed into computers and logged forever. Nothing like that could ever hope to exist for college basketball.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I want help for Texas Basketball from "The Shot Doctor" Chip Engelland

https://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

everyone struggles to shoot in the fec as evidence by the ncaa tournament games held there.........texas shooting problems will disappear in the new arena......the only 2 people ive ever seen been able to shoot at fec were durant & abrams......

26 minutes ago, smakashart said:

everyone struggles to shoot in the fec as evidence by the ncaa tournament games held there.........texas shooting problems will disappear in the new arena......the only 2 people ive ever seen been able to shoot at fec were durant & abrams......

Only one game, but the best opponent I've seen in FEC

rawImage.jpg