Hindsight is 20/20- The 2019-20 Texas Longhorns thread

Goo Punch

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah, one of my issues with employing analytics driven strategy in college basketball is that many of the conclusions drawn for higher skilled NBA players isn't necessarily true for college players.  And I don't necessarily think there's a sufficient enough dataset for college play to really suss out overriding areas of inefficiencies. Maybe there's some mapping done that I'm not aware of,  but with such a large disparity in talent across the board what can it really tell us about individual teams? NBA arenas are setup with numerous cameras all around the arena mapping out every player and every situation that takes place throughout a game.  Then thre data collected is fed into computers and logged forever. Nothing like that could ever hope to exist for college basketball.  

Synergy logs and analyzes film for D-I NCAA basketball as well. I can tell you that just over 46% of Chancellor Ellis' shots are considered spot up & nearly 87% of his half-court shots are threes; if I have that kind of data on a Prairie View A&M player, imagine how much data they have on major conference teams.

• Like 1

We're only four games into the season, but we have a couple of clear trends which will surprise no one. Our offensive rankings/metrics continue to go down, while our defensive rankings/metrics continue to go up. I posted this in the KenPom thread, but it'll be interesting to track this as the season goes on. Particularly the way that we essentially have one long green bar going down the page under "Defense" (aside from OREB% which we know is by design), while the offensive side is all sorts of different colors including several red bars:

1a401f5c6adba2f2d8a335f50f4f3fe1.jpg

Big XII play gonna suck if this continues. We'll be like Tech or UVA defensively/pace wise, only we'll still have a Shaka Smart offense. Get ready for a plethora of thrilling games where the winner scores 65-70 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/15/2019 at 2:06 PM, smakashart said:

everyone struggles to shoot in the fec as evidence by the ncaa tournament games held there.........texas shooting problems will disappear in the new arena......the only 2 people ive ever seen been able to shoot at fec were durant & abrams......

You sir, never saw Brandy Perryman play then.  https://www.bperrymanshootingcamp.com/coach-bios/

Or Reggie Freeman

On 11/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, cafe society said:

Jim Krivacs shot nearly 45% in the Drum's first year, 1977-78 season, mostly from 3 pt range, even though they only counted 2 back then.

When Abe coached, he didn't care where his players shot the ball from as long as it was a makeable shot and one that the young man practiced. His OKC teams shot from any where on the court.

We remember Perryman as this AJ Abrams-like sniper, but he only shot 36% from deep for his career, and after his freshman season (where he shot .444 from deep) he went .335, .355, and .333 from deep over his final three seasons. Javan Felix was actually a better shooter during each of his final three seasons (.343, .392, .354) than Perryman was. during his last three years. So if that doesn't blow your mind and permanently alter your memories/perception of Perryman then I don't know what will. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

It wasn’t Perryman’s percentage per se but just how absolutely ridiculous his made shots were.  From a good six or seven feet beyond the arc sometimes.  I literally saw him make one over his shoulder/no-look during ‘96 midnight madness as he was about to run into Quarles.  

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

We remember Perryman as this AJ Abrams-like sniper, but he only shot 36% from deep for his career, and after his freshman season (where he shot .444 from deep) he went .335, .355, and .333 from deep over his final three seasons. Javan Felix was actually a better shooter during each of his final three seasons (.343, .392, .354) than Perryman was. during his last three years. So if that doesn't blow your mind and permanently alter your memories/perception of Perryman then I don't know what will. 

I was gonna include Perryman's numbers in my post, but I thought better of it.  He was good for that era,  but we'd yell for him to stop shooting if he were playing today.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

This is as good a time as any to remind people of the unparalleled greatness of AJ Abrams, the best shooter in Big XII history.

7612aa59c776adcf661baf00d7aa4a7c.jpg

A 40% career three point shooter on 7 attempts per game, who also happened to be the most tireless off-the-ball worker i've ever seen at Texas. Clutch as hell too. We'll not see his kind again any time soon.

• Like 1

^
great point about Abrams in that he was not a stand around and wait to toss up the three.  He was tenaciously moving around without the ball.   And an above average defender to boot.  We will not see his kind again for a long while.  

meantime, what’s The early word on Georgetown?   

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

^
great point about Abrams in that he was not a stand around and wait to toss up the three.  He was tenaciously moving around without the ball.   And an above average defender to boot.  We will not see his kind again for a long while.  

They are crap if we beat them, that is the party line.

They lost by 15 to Penn State.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

^

they were dominated by penn st.......texas should get the w

47 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

We're #22 in the latest AP poll. And, if we remain undefeated through our first 12 games (aside from facing Duke), then we might actually find ourselves in the top 15 or so heading into conference play. 

I would love for the first part of that (being undefeated through our first 12 games), but would hate the 2nd. I much prefer this team underrated rather than overrated.

But, it's a better problem to have than the problems we've been having over the last several seasons, so I guess I can live with it.

• Like 1

No, but yeah---if we were to beat Duke, we'd be in the Top 10 this time next week.  But let's not get insane people.  Looks like, on paper, anyway that we should beat Georgetown and in NYC.  A respectable loss to Duke and we could still be hovering around #25 or so.  Following week a bunch of teams ahead of us have salty matchups and we just have one lone game at home against McNeese State.  So there's a chance we go into the A&M game in Fort Worth comfortably in the Top 20.  And give or take a break here and there, could even get into Big XII play with roughly the same ranking.  After that, yeah---we're fucked.  

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

This is as good a time as any to remind people of the unparalleled greatness of AJ Abrams, the best shooter in Big XII history.

A 40% career three point shooter on 7 attempts per game, who also happened to be the most tireless off-the-ball worker i've ever seen at Texas. Clutch as hell too. We'll not see his kind again any time soon.

OMG, what Texas fans would give for a career 40-percent shooter from deep and 90-percent shooter from the FT line. And yet, more than a few so-called Texas fans hated on him every chance they got.

There's always at least one whipping boy for the groupthink. Before Osetkowski, Demarcus, Javan, and Dogus, there was Abrams.

Who was the one at HornFans whose hatred for A.J. burned brightest? Think it was either TPE or SL Express. Apologies if I'm misremembering it. Time makes fools of us all.

We're #22 in the latest AP poll. And, if we remain undefeated through our first 12 games (aside from facing Duke), then we might actually find ourselves in the top 15 or so heading into conference play. 
That would be something. Is that white kid for Georgetown who is all over YT playing well? Seems like he sucked a few weeks ago.

58 minutes ago, markstanco said:
6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

That would be something. Is that white kid for Georgetown who is all over YT playing well? Seems like he sucked a few weeks ago.

He's Riff Raff's cousin, and no, he has not been even a decent college player to this point. Super overhyped because he was a white bit who could really dunk.

I was hoping we would see a lot front court players in the first few games so that we could develop a semblance of confident/comfort/familiarity with teammates in live action for Hamm, Baker, Hepa, Kai Jones, and Cunningham.  Instead, Shaka has chosen to go with a small line-up and let Febres shoot out of his slump (he's shooting .294 for the season so far and is leading the team in minutes per game).  Baker, Hepa, Kai Jones, and Cunningham are a collective 0-17 and have taken just 1 shot inside the 3-point line.  I didn't expect those guys to be all Americans, just would've liked to have seen them play through some of their ruts/mistakes rather than get the quick hook.  

I think Baker and Kai Jones could create some problems for opponents if they get more than 5 mins/game to get acclimated.  Looks like Hepa is destined for cheerleading on the sideline.

When we play a team with a couple of good players over 6'8" / 180 lbs, I feel that small ball line-up will be even more exposed for it's weak rebounding, poor interior defense, and lack of movement on offense. 

• Like 1

was checking out some stuff on kenpom this morning when i noticed how close his computers have nearly every single conference game being:

0d38ada8514732a5ff44aa6a3377a16c.jpg

i don't need to tell you that winning close, competitive games has not been our forte under Shaka (in fa t quote the opposite). this conference season should be verrryyy interesting to say the least. also very low scoring- conference play projects to be very, very low scoring. if only we'd hired a coach known for playing an uptempo, exciting brand of basketball.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

was checking out some stuff on kenpom this morning when i noticed how close his computers have nearly every single conference game being:

0d38ada8514732a5ff44aa6a3377a16c.jpg

i don't need to tell you that winning close, competitive games has not been our forte under Shaka (in fa t quote the opposite). this conference season should be verrryyy interesting to say the least. also very low scoring- conference play projects to be very, very low scoring. if only we'd hired a coach known for playing an uptempo, exciting brand of basketball.

The Big 12 seems somewhat down compared to recent years. Definitely seems like there will be a lot of close games between mediocre teams. 
On the bright side, Im sure the team with the worst shot selection, lowest FTA rate, and highest amount of non-steal TOs will find a way to win a most of their close ones. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

The Big 12 seems somewhat down compared to recent years. Definitely seems like there will be a lot of close games between mediocre teams. 
On the bright side, Im sure the team with the worst shot selection, lowest FTA rate, and highest amount of non-steal TOs will find a way to win a most of their close ones. 

It's still rated the best conference in KenPom - I think in large part because there are very few objectively bad teams most years who would drag down the conference - but the gap has narrowed over the last few years.

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Dare I say a surlier  version of Shaka showed up at this week's press conference. 

refreshing to see. i think that the grim reality of the last 4+ years has finally hardened him a bit. i've said before that i think that Shaka could eventually become a really good coach but that it wouldn't happen at Texas. if he can gain a bit more edge to him *and* sign Greg Brown. then shit...it could actually happen here. 

Ugh...

Ramey free throws enable Texas to escape upset

3:29 PM CT.   Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- Courtney Ramey made two free throws with 8.4 seconds left, enabling Texas to escape with a 73-71 victory against McNeese State on Saturday.   McNeese's Leondre Washington missed a 3-point attempt at an upset with three seconds remaining.  Ramey and Andrew Jones led Texas (6-1) with 14 points apiece. Each made a 3-point basket during the final 3:13, as did Jase Febres.  Jericho Sims had 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Longhorns.

McNeese (2-6) forward Sha'Markus Kennedy punished Texas inside with a game-high 22 points. Washington scored 17. Dru Kuxhausen scored 12, hitting 4 of 5 3-pointers, but he missed a driving shot with nine seconds left and then fouled Ramey.  Washington's 3-pointer with 1:33 left gave McNeese a 69-68 lead. Jones put Texas back ahead with a 3-pointer, but Kennedy tied it with 56 seconds remaining.

Texas hit 3 of 14 3-pointers in the first half but improved to 6 of 16 in the second.

BIG PICTURE

Texas: The Longhorns' 30.8 percent accuracy before facing McNeese ranked eighth in the 10-team Big 12 Conference. Even with the late rally, Febres and Jones combined to make only 5 of 20.

McNeese: The Cowboys, picked to finish seventh in the 13-team Southland Conference, completed a tough stretch during which they lost to Wisconsin, New Mexico and Richmond, the latter by 30 points. But they were ready for Texas, scoring inside and from 3-point range, a strength for McNeese this season. The Cowboys never trailed by more than six.

UP NEXT

Texas hosts UAB on Tuesday. They've met only once, with Texas winning 96-60 in December 2016 in Austin.

• 2 weeks later...

Not only is our offense super frustrating and horrible to watch aesthetically, it also robs players of their instincts off the ball. So even when the coaches try to install prescribed movement off the ball (which has actually been done) it's performed in such a mechanical, sort of rote manner that it doesn't really create any real chances at the basket. They're so used to standing way out away from the basket in an attempt to create space that they're not in tune with when to take chances to dive to the basket or an open space at the elbow.