Hindsight is 20/20- The 2019-20 Texas Longhorns thread

Goo Punch

Surprised I haven’t heard much about seeding on here. Must be from the general shock of where we were a month ago. Anyway, I see us as now a 10 seed to lunardi, a 9 seed in a few other ones, and an 11 in a couple. I’m thinking it’s best to hope for avoiding the play in games, obviously, and avoid the 9 or 8 seed if we f around and win a bunch in the conference tourney. Looking at the potential 7 seeds that we could play.....id be more worried about OSU than the 7 seeds. 

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:

Am I missing something on Brock being 1.5 points important?

Grittiest defensive player? Thin rotation just got thinner? 

I've truly no idea if you're being facetious or not.  He regularly is getting 20-25 min/game from a short bench that just got one player shorter. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I think Ramey has suffered more than any other player by not having a real coach. He’s got so much potential, but he really needed a coach who would discipline him and get him to reign in some of his bad decision making. It’s an absolute shame he has to endure 3 years of Shaka. It’s fucking awful that liking a player means I wish he picked a different school. 

Fuck Shaka and fuck our athletic department for keeping him. Anyone who actually cares about the “kids” should be the one screaming for Shaka’s firing the loudest. Instead, the poster who drones endlessly about the kids defends the person who’s harming them the most. I don’t know if that speaks more to idiocy or hypocrisy, but it’s an astounding amount of both. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

well that's fucking great. one year under Shaka and he was like, "Fuck this, get me out of here." Awesome. 

He's leaving for a head coaching job in a city that's a major basketball hotbed, is in his home state (from La Salle, IL, and an Illinois State alum), and in the region where he spent most of his career. He's just moving up the ranks and found an opening he wanted.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's leaving for a head coaching job in a city that's a major basketball hotbed, is in his home state (from La Salle, IL, and an Illinois State alum), and in the region where he spent most of his career. He's just moving up the ranks and found an opening he wanted.

This. He didn’t take a lateral job. This isn’t a “Shaka sucks I gotta GTFO” type thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

well that's fucking great. one year under Shaka and he was like, "Fuck this, get me out of here." Awesome. 

C'mon GP...

You bitch about how horrible a Head Coach Shaka is all the time, and now you're complaining because his assistant is leaving to take a Head Coaching job???

Congrats to Coach Yaklich and Good Luck!! 🤘 

also that tweet didn't say anything about him becoming their HEAD coach (it dows however repeatedly the word "assistant"), so you can see why it looked to me like he was just getting the fuck outta Dodge. that, and the fact that working for a clown with no identity and no idea what he's doing made it totally plausible that he would leave here after just one year anyway. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

While our defensive efficiency was better than the season before, the no help defense was frustrating to watch at times.  

yeah, and, we finished 5th in the Big XII in AdjD, so it wasn't like we were stifling people like UVA or anything. 

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

also that tweet didn't say anything about him becoming their HEAD coach, so you can see why it looked to me like he was just getting the fuck outta Dodge. that, and the fact that working for a clown with no identity and no idea what he's doing made it totally plausible that he would leave here after just one year anyway. 

Also this...

Former Michigan assistant Luke Yaklich nabs head coaching job

Yaklich gets his first head coaching job after one year as a Texas assistant.

By Jay Winkler@ThoseWhoJay  Mar 23, 2020, 5:13pm CDT 

https://www.maizenbrew.com/basketball/2020/3/23/21191723/luke-yaklich-uic-head-coaching-job 

Edited by LTtxfan

41 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

So, do we replace him?  No evaluation of Shaka yet by cdc, who is probably not going to evaluate while crisis is happening.  

He said as much he isn’t worrying about coaches right now, his sole focus is the student athletes. Meanwhile we have 2 basketball coaches flapping in the wind 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He said as much he isn’t worrying about coaches right now, his sole focus is the student athletes. Meanwhile we have 2 basketball coaches flapping in the wind 

Which means we should not hire anyone to replace the coach.  Good.  Now, let’s see if cdc remains consistent.  No hires or fires until things settle down.  

17 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

He was the one guy who showed a little fire, looked capable of in-game coaching, and seemed to have his head "in the game" on the sideline and the defense was better this year (generally)...