Hindsight is 20/20- The 2019-20 Texas Longhorns thread

Goo Punch

we've always been good defensively under Shaka, but I was honestly hoping that Yaklich would take us to the next level. instead the big xii features four of the top 10 defenses in the country, and Texas wasn't one of them. A bit disappointing. 

With that said, *if* GB III does become a Longhorn the. this could be an opportunity for us to play with a much different style than we would have under Yaklich, so I hope that's exactly what we do. With Brown in the fold, we will have so much athleticism across the board that it would behoove us to play a much more up-and-down style that allows us to get out in transition more often, and any type of pack line/no help defense would hinder that. so time will tell how big of a loss this ends up being. 

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

we've always been good defensively under Shaka, but I was honestly hoping that Yaklich would take us to the next level. instead the big xii features four of the top 10 defenses in the country, and Texas wasn't one of them. A bit disappointing. 

With that said, *if* GB III does become a Longhorn the. this could be an opportunity for us to play with a much different style than we would have under Yaklich, so I hope that's exactly what we do. With Brown in the fold, we will have so much athleticism across the board that it would behoove us to play a much more up-and-down style that allows us to get out in transition more often, and any type of pack line/no help defense would hinder that. so time will tell how big of a loss this ends up being. 

Make more posts like this one and less bitching posts. Seriously.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 2:46 PM, Goo Punch said:

This is what im hoping for.  Shaka needs to go out doing the thing that got him the job in the first place.  With 13 scholarships, all filled with guys who deserve playing time, he should go balls to the wall for 40 minutes a game. That sort of frenetic, breakneck pace naturally engenders effort that can manifest in improved rebounding and other areas where his teams have been faulty.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is what im hoping for.  Shaka needs to go out doing the thing that got him the job in the first place.  With 13 scholarships, all filled with guys who deserve playing time, he should go balls to the wall for 40 minutes a game. That sort of frenetic, breakneck pace naturally engenders effort that can manifest in improved rebounding and other areas where his teams have been faulty.  

Shaka's first year we had Isaiah Taylor taking 6 FTA/gm at 81%. That was big. Unfortunately, our other three guys who could shoot (Felix, Lammert, and EDJ) only attempted 1.9, 1.6, and 1.1 FTA respectively. Less than ideal.

Now then- let's look at our FTA leaders from this past season:

Matt Coleman- 2.5 FTA

Jericho Sims- 2.0 FTA

Courtney Ramey- 1.8 FTA

Andrew Jones- 1.7 FTA

Gerald Liddell- 1.7 FTA

Those are shocking numbers. I've honestly never seen anything like it. Now then- you replace Liddell with GB III, you get the team out in transition and going up and down the court, and you end up with 4 of your top 5 FT shooters all being guys who can hit 75% and above, and who will all get to the line a lot more than once per game. just another of our systemic problems which can be solved by pushing tempo, *especially* if Greg Brown is in the mix. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 2:46 PM, Goo Punch said:

So do all our seniors get another year of eligibility? Did they ever decide on that? 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

last i saw NCAA said no extra year for winter athletes. Of course that doesn't really matter with this team. 

Last I saw, actually, the vote is Monday. 

They will vote separately on winter and spring (I think) 

6 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Hmm, I wonder if theyll approve winter, Spring is a slam dunk. 

they've all but said that winter athletes will not get another year, so unless something changes between now and then, a lot of college athletes have lost their senior season.

nah, we'll probably shoot 44% from deep, run up and down, win the game 88-85, and then three days later beat Midwestern Tennessee School for the Blind at home by 2 on a last second three pointer that banks in on a night where we shoot 8-36 from deep.

edit: with that said, BOUT FUCKING TIME SHAKA. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29e33c81aebf9e313a56

Jesus. One of his really big things when he got to Texas was reaching out to former players and personnel, with the idea being that he wanted to find out what Texas hoops is all about and honor and c tongue that tradition. Well, Shaka, at Texas WE PLAY BIG TEAMS AT HOME AND ON THE ROAD, every single year, no exceptions. Only took you until year six to figure that out. way to go.

Edited by Goo Punch