2019 NCAA Tournament: Second Round

Machinator

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Works for me. I’m a pussy at picking upsets so my brackets are usually chalk heavy. I did manage to get both Oregon and Auburn right and my only miss was I picked Nova over Purdue. My bracket is second place at work.

Second here on Surly.  First in the $1000 a man 1% bracket we do every year.  Limit to 12 guys.  Hit 15 sweet 16 teams.   Don’t make a shit til next week anyway.  Personally I think a bunch of high seeds makes for a much more entertaining second weekend.  We shall see...

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I disagree.  That said, is this the chalkiness sweet 16 ever?  Only 2 seeds that “shouldn’t” be there based on seed. 

2009 had the exact same seeds reach the Sweet 16.  It's kind of freaky.

ncaa-march-madness-results-2009.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WBT said:

2009 had the exact same seeds reach the Sweet 16.  It's kind of freaky.

ncaa-march-madness-results-2009.jpg

Ah yes, the year we thought Travis Ford was the future of OSU basketball. We won a first round game, then almost took down 1 seed Pitt. We had them tied with under 3 minutes, then couldn't hold on.  Haven't won a tourney game since. FML.

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Ah yes, the year we thought Travis Ford was the future of OSU basketball. We won a first round game, then almost took down 1 seed Pitt. We had them tied with under 3 minutes, then couldn't hold on.  Haven't won a tourney game since. FML.

Is that right? The Pokes haven't won a tourney game since '09?

17 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Is that right? The Pokes haven't won a tourney game since '09?

Nope. One and done in 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017. Seeded 7, 5, 9, 9, and 10 respectively. This includes the Marcus Smart teams when we had arguably more raw talent on the roster than any team Eddie Sutton ever had. Travis Ford was the suck.

Edited by 'stache

19 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't believe that play was a charge,  but Taylor moving has nothing to do with it. As long as the player is in legal guarding position he/she can still be moving and draw a charge.  The days of a player having to be completely still to draw a charge have long since passed. 

18 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

You can moving and still take a charge.  

This is correct, if you are upcourt of the direction a player is moving in. However, he was not. Taylor was between Zion and the hoop. Zion was moving left to right. Once again he had been flopping all night. The refs have to allow an offensive player to move around on the basketball court. Otherwise a guy can chest up to you and draw 5 fouls on you no matter which direction you dribble to get away from him.

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Fuck it's a long time between games.
I was so into this tournament over the weekend, even without any major upsets, but now the daily drudgery seems to have pushed this all to background noise. Play some games, I need that excitement (and maybe some action of it too).

I feel the same way.

Got a lotta money riding on my bracket and the games have been pretty good.

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

This is correct, if you are upcourt of the direction a player is moving in. However, he was not. Taylor was between Zion and the hoop. Zion was moving left to right. Once again he had been flopping all night. The refs have to allow an offensive player to move around on the basketball court. Otherwise a guy can chest up to you and draw 5 fouls on you no matter which direction you dribble to get away from him.

Being "upcourt" has nothing to do with it.  As long as you've established legal guarding position, you can be "moving" to take a charge.  We agree there (because it's the rule). 

The rest of this is jibberish. The defensive player is entitled to a spot on the court just as must as the offensive players, so it's not clear what you are trying to say when you state the refs have to allow an offensive player to move on the court.  Yes, they can't be impeded or have their RSBQ interrupted by illegal defense, but the defensive player has just as much of a right to a spot on the court provided they legally got there first. 

The first point of contact on Taylor wasn't a foul on Zion (it was a flop), but I don' agree with that foul to Tacko when worse and more illegal contact by Tacko went uncalled during the game.  

• Like 1

Ready for tomorrow to start this back up.  I don't have a perfect bracket but I do have 15 of the 16 teams still in it.  UC irvine screwed me up.  I had K St in the sweet 16 in stead of them.  Now we get to nut cutting time.
This is when the tournament gets good. Less games but better teams. I don't really see a team left that is severely handicapped to the rest of the field. Maybe Oregon? But they have played well so far.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:03 PM, Pancho Negro said:

Being "upcourt" has nothing to do with it.  As long as you've established legal guarding position, you can be "moving" to take a charge.  We agree there (because it's the rule). 

The rest of this is jibberish. The defensive player is entitled to a spot on the court just as must as the offensive players, so it's not clear what you are trying to say when you state the refs have to allow an offensive player to move on the court.  Yes, they can't be impeded or have their RSBQ interrupted by illegal defense, but the defensive player has just as much of a right to a spot on the court provided they legally got there first. 

The first point of contact on Taylor wasn't a foul on Zion (it was a flop), but I don' agree with that foul to Tacko when worse and more illegal contact by Tacko went uncalled during the game.  

How do you NOT understand what I am saying? Upcourt means in between the player and the direction he is headed in. The defender was on his hip, and therefore didn't deserve the call that he flopped on. The defender tried to flop on a spin move. He should be embarrassed for doing that. The Tacko play is simple as well. He is standing UNDER the rim, and when their bodies collide, his arms go forward. He did not keep his arms straight up.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:03 PM, Underdog said:

PJ Washington had his cast removed from RIght foot, be interesting to see how effective he can be after having 2 games off. Houston will be challenging enough, they get by there and it’ll be even tougher with either Auburn or UNC. 

Wait, wut, Washington may play?

21 minutes ago, elfenix said:

so far this is the worst basketball game ever

Low score is good for Tech.

Tech is careless with the rock.  mich is just jacking up 3's...inexplicably.