Dallas Bartender Going Viral For Beating Up Woman

Vic Mackey

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Usually they communicate quite well in order to conspire to railroad all manner of citizens and to protect the thin blue line.

However, Dallas now has a DA that's committed to criminal justice reform, so they won't be getting along well for the next few years.

That said, I'm not really troubled by bringing charges and letting her take deferred on disorderly conduct or something.  Two wrongs don't make a right.

Bashing in the truck windows of the man who just beat the shit out of you while calling you racial slurs isn't a wrong. Doing it when you're a woman isn't just not a wrong, it's about as right as it gets in this world.

• Like 1

The police shouldn't have charged her, but all they did was follow the Law.  It's up to the DA to determine if it's worth following through or not.

I know this is Surly and this is what we do, but the Police just charged her for an actual crime that she admitted to, and was backed up by a witness.  It's not their job to determine if it "looks right" or is morally okay or not.  Id rather the process be followed correctly, and let them fix it in the end.

They did nothing wrong in this instance.  And the DA absolutely did the right thing by dropping the charges.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RPM said:

Yup. She is going to rustle some jimmies at DPD.

Actually its a he.  John Creuzot.  The prior one, although a black lady that no one really had anything against, was an Abbott appointee to fill the spot of Susan "Thorazine" Hawk.

He pretty much invented the "diversion court," at least in Texas, and Texas is now regarded as a leader in CJ reform measures because of it.

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

I know this is Surly and this is what we do, but the Police just charged her for an actual crime that she admitted to, and was backed up by a witness.  It's not their job to determine if it "looks right" or is morally okay or not.  Id rather the process be followed correctly, and let them fix it in the end.

They did nothing wrong in this instance.  And the DA absolutely did the right thing by dropping the charges.

You use this ridiculous line quite a lot. It's not "this is what we do". It's what most normal people would understand should not happen to the victim of a crime. Say there's no video evidence and the only way they can catch this guy is seeing a car with a busted out rear window. Do the police still feel the need to charge her with a crime? They have zero discretion in this case? If she was laying up in the hospital still, would they have charged her?

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Bashing in the truck windows of the man who just beat the shit out of you while calling you racial slurs isn't a wrong. Doing it when you're a woman isn't just not a wrong, it's about as right as it gets in this world.

why does it change things if it’s a woman?  

You use this ridiculous line quite a lot. It's not "this is what we do". It's what most normal people would understand should not happen to the victim of a crime. Say there's no video evidence and the only way they can catch this guy is seeing a car with a busted out rear window. Do the police still feel the need to charge her with a crime? They have zero discretion in this case? If she was laying up in the hospital still, would they have charged her?

I have a friend that got a seat belt ticket while he was recovering from surgery on a dislocated hip and compound fracture of his upper arm. Nearly died on the helo headed to the hospital.

So yeah, they might have.

• 2 weeks later...

More coming out on this story. Audio of the 911 calls in the link below the quoted material.

WFAA obtains exclusive 911 calls from night of Deep Ellum assault

Audio from the calls feature Austin Shuffield, L'Daijohnique Lee and a witness who called police.
One of the calls is from Austin Shuffield, the man accused of punching the victim L'Daijohnique Lee.

"She is threatening to bring another person out here to shoot up my vehicle," Shuffield says in one of the 911 calls.

In the background, Lee screaming and you can hear her hitting Shuffield’s truck. Police say she caused $3,000 in damage.

"She threatened to mace me and uh, then she swung at me and hit me in the face, so I defended myself after that," Shuffield says in the call.

WFAA played the audio for civil rights attorney Jasmine Crockett.

"We all know that it ended up with Austin delivering some pretty hefty blows to this young lady, and by law, I don't see where he could legally place his hands on her like that," Crockett said.

When the video first surfaced, the victim's attorney, Lee Merritt, said Shuffield was shouting racial slurs and called it a hate crime.

In the 911 tapes, you don't hear that, but you do hear Lee screaming racial epitaphs.

"I'm going to whoop this white trash-a-- n-----," Lee says in the call. "You're going to jail, you white cracker!"

"Yep. Yep, yeah, I'm going to jail," Shuffield replies.

“The other issue that is so bothersome about this is that it was racially charged from the get-go on both sides," Crockett said. "Let me be clear. I think it's a sign of what we have going on in the country, unfortunately."

Shuffield's attorneys also listened to the 911 calls and dispute their client used racial slurs.

"They made the statements without knowing the truth, and that's the dangerous part about it, when what we know now is she is calling him a white cracker," Shuffield's attorney Scott Palmer said. "She uses the N-word to him, which is the exact opposite from what [the prosecution is] trying to put out."

Another tape features audio of a witness calling 911 and telling the operator to hurry and to send police.

“They are going off on each other like crazy," the witness says. "I can still hear them scream at each other."

Shuffield's attorneys say this was never about race, but about two people in a heated dispute.

Civil rights groups said nothing justifies the punches the victim took and said they don’t blame her for being angry and for her reaction.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/wfaa-obtains-exclusive-911-calls-from-night-of-deep-ellum-assault/287-94449d03-2bc6-4922-9854-487bfee20561?fbclid=IwAR3Ov2KZUTYGZ4l8sqgn8JKsaWT9MfkjvGgZ96KurxgEmWb7QaywAXAe9OY

• 8 months later...

He got a DWI earlier this month in Plano, which violated the conditions of his bond.

austin-shuffield-dec-mugshot.jpg?resize=

A former Deep Ellum bartender caught on camera punching a woman earlier this year is facing a new charge of driving while intoxicated after he was arrested in Plano earlier this month, court documents show.

Austin Shuffield was arrested and charged with a DWI on Dec. 2 in Collin County and posted bond Wednesday. The DWI violated the conditions of his bond, which included not to drink or use drugs. He posted a $1,000 bond and was released.

Shuffield was indicted by a Dallas County grand jury last month on two felonies and two misdemeanors. A trial date for the assault case has not been set.