Traveling should be after 3 steps...

Slacks

that was a regular basketball play that gets made countless times every season with zero call. this was not some egregious officiating error that now requires changes to the rule book, these are upset bettors, gamblers, and to a lesser extent Maryland fans with sour grapes. there was nothing notable about that no-call at all. 

also if it were three steps then giannis could just pick up his dribble at half court and then dunk it. from where he is in this freeze frame giannis takes two dribbles and then dunks the ball. this is probably the freakiest thing i've seen from the freak.

d0c1118ec65a31c48098ff9ca4f25b44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Goo Punch

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

that was a regular basketball play that gets made countless times every season with zero call. this was not some egregious officiating error that now requires changes to the rule book, these are upset bettors, gamblers, and to a lesser extent Maryland fans with sour grapes. there was nothing notable about that no-call at all. 

Completely disagree. It's a regular play in the NBA, but in college, it should've been a travel. Refs were too busy ball watching.

you can't even tell that he takes three steps in real time:

This type of thing happens all of the time. I had no idea he even took three steps until the video on twitter where guy runs it back in super slow mo, and i was watching this game. again, this is not some egregious error, this type of thing happens all the time. there was a more egregious travel by a UK player at the end of the Wofford game that went uncalled and while some of us did comment on it nobody freaked about it like people are over this no-call. If I were on PTI and they asked if this was a big deal, little deal, or no deal i'd say no deal. as far as blown calls go this is about as understandable as they come. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, deter said:

It decided the game.

it decided the game about as much as three dozen other plays and calls did. i mean seriously, what are we talking about here? an extra half step that lasted 0.3 seconds and that didn't even look like traveling in real time? come on. if this play happens with 18:00 left in the game then nobody even notices it, much less protests the outcome of the game. this is nothing. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

He arguably took four steps, and absolutely took three. The limit is two.

Don't understand how this is debatable, but realize we are going to disagree.

Also, timing is everything. If the same play had occurred--and been disallowed--with 18 minutes to play, Maryland would've had all that time to do something about it. But that's not what happened. It was the deciding moment in an otherwise even game.

15 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

He arguably took four steps, and absolutely took three. The limit is two.

Don't understand how this is debatable, but realize we are going to disagree.

Also, timing is everything. If the same play had occurred--and been disallowed--with 18 minutes to play, Maryland would've had all that time to do something about it. But that's not what happened. It was the deciding moment in an otherwise even game.

Agreed. And I saw it in real time before I ever saw a replay. Once I saw the replay I couldn’t believe it wasn’t called.

• Like 1

his last dribble is even with the FT line, he is moving towards the hoop, and it looks to the naked eye like he takes only two steps after that last dribble. the cory joseph five second call didn't get this much attention and was 1000x worse.

Edited by Goo Punch

15 hours ago, miguelito said:

That wouldn't have been called if it was the first play of the game, either.

it should just be called 100% of the time to eliminate having to decide whether it matters or not

if you don't like the rules, change them, but this idea that fixed rules can also be open to interpretation is total pretzel logic

personally having grown up with people complaining about traveling not being called, my radar for tolerance for it's a lot higher than when I see moving screens go uncalled-- it makes the sport unwatchable for me