Scotch

Texaskimo

On 3/25/2018 at 10:28 AM, Texaskimo said:

All things scotch related. I'm a Glenmorangie man myself. Love their special editions, the last two (Bacalta and Spios) have been fantastic. If you want to discuss heavily peated scotches I'm not your man.

Picked up a Signatory 28 year Scotch at Specs. Should be right up your alley. Pretty good too. You should also give Highland Park 18 a try. Both a little over 100 a bottle. It was a good buy for me.

Lagavulin 16 for Celebrations

Ardbeg 10 with friends and family

Monkey Shoulder for just wanting a drink, or people I'm not sure I like yet

Famous Grouse for mixing, but I prefer going Irish if that's what I'm looking to do

I'm no connoisseur, but those are all solid at different price points IMO

Edited by RCRanger03
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bearlyhangingon said:

Ardbeg Uigeadail - It is peat plus, but delicious.   

Image result for ardbeg uigeadail

Ballantines and Famous Grouse are good daily drinker blends.  I think Ballentines is very underrated...and cheap.

It took me awhile to get use to it. Now I'm rollin.

On 4/4/2018 at 7:50 PM, Bearlyhangingon said:

Ardbeg Uigeadail - It is peat plus, but delicious.   

Image result for ardbeg uigeadail

Ballantines and Famous Grouse are good daily drinker blends.  I think Ballentines is very underrated...and cheap.

Uigeadail is what I am working on these days. Heavy peatiness with the flavor and smoothness from sherry casks is just...incredible. It is complex but also a punch in the nose at the same time.

Days when I don't want that I have Talisker 10yr for something a bit smoother and more subtle.

For everyday drinking I stick to bourbon.

So my future brother in law came over Saturday night, bought me a bucket of KFC, case of lone star, bottle of Crown, and lagavulin 16. Completely unexpected, would have been happy with lone star but the scotch was a "whoa" moment. 

He was also drunk cause he took home the chicken afterwards

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2018 at 6:39 PM, RCRanger03 said:

$60 for Lagavulin is pretty much what I paid at the duty free in Edinburgh.

Is that a 512 costco perchance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's an 858 costco, just 2 hours south of that hopeless fucking hole that they call LA

On 4/13/2018 at 7:22 PM, Tailleur17 said:

Really liking the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. A little more subtle and less burning bandaids/in your face peat than it’s counterpart (which I really enjoy also.)

bf49677c4719975dba8287245de968c3.jpg

Given that I also see Blantons and Balcones Baby Blue, what time are you hosting all of us for the tasting.......

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 6:24 AM, RCRanger03 said:

Lagavulin 16 for Celebrations

Ardbeg 10 with friends and family

my man.  islay all day every day.  i pick up a bottle everytime i come back from aberdeen - the duty free stores there sell, to my knowledge, a few bottles that are not under normal distribution elsewhere

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Watched the documentary Scotch: A Golden Dream on Amazon Prime Video and now really want to find and try Bruichladdich Black Art. SIAP, but has anyone had it? 

I just watched the same documentary, which I thought was awesome.  I searched for Black Art afterward, and it seemed to be sold out everywhere.  I randomly searched again this morning and apparently there is some available for pick-up in Lewisville.  I'm very tempted, but at $350 I just struggle to say I'd get more enjoyment than having 4 bottles of Aberlour 16. 

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/bruichladdich-black-art-single-malt-scotch/p/132665750-1?glia=true&s=507&pid=cpc:Shopping+US+TEXA+ENG+SPART:::google:&gclid=CjwKCAiA35rxBRAWEiwADqB379l_0o-rxntY5tEo3cYQcuJNbUqYyWIq0KBXrqlEocz-SEvwKLTguxoC35QQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If somebody buys it, please invite me over for a finder's fee drab.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 11:46 AM, G650 said:

Balvenie everything is my jam.

Yes sir, me too. Next Spring (2021) for my 50th birthday, my wife will be booking us a 6 day stay in Dufftown Scotland. Within a 10 miles radius we have Balvenie, Macallan, Dewars, Glenfiddich, Aberlour and numerous others. Can’t wait. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 10:38 PM, T-shirt Sip said:

Yes sir, me too. Next Spring (2021) for my 50th birthday, my wife will be booking us a 6 day stay in Dufftown Scotland. Within a 10 miles radius we have Balvenie, Macallan, Dewars, Glenfiddich, Aberlour and numerous others. Can’t wait. 

I drove through that area. Beautiful place. River Spey is beautiful.  The MAcallan tour was great, and they have a herd of Shaggy Bevos.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:57 PM, Bearlyhangingon said:

I celebrate the entire scotch whisky catalog, though I favor Islay whiskies.  One of my non-Islay favorites is from  Campbeltown and seems to get little play in the US...Springbank.  The Springbank 10 and 15 are not too hard to find.  Both are terrific.Image result for springbank 10

Springbank is a nice balance, IMO, between the peat bombs and the grassy stuff.

Since you like Islays . . . if you want something that is smokier than Springbank but still not as heavy as Laphroig, Lagavulin,  etc., try Talisker 10 and some of the other Talisker products if you haven't already.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've recently started venturing into scotch. I've been drinking mostly bourbons and ryes for the last few years and I think I have a pretty good feel for what I like in that area and was ready to expand. But this two year old thread hasn't even reached page 2? Is surly just not into scotchety scotch scotch? 

So far I like Glenmorangie 10, Ardbeg An OA, and Highland Park Magnus. I don't want to spend too much on any bottles until I have tested the styles. I'm really liking Glenmorangie at the price point. I'm now looking for more sherry or port cask scotches. My first high dollar purchase at a friends recommendation will likely be Dalmore Cigar Malt. I'm not ready to drop that amount just yet though.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I've recently started venturing into scotch. I've been drinking mostly bourbons and ryes for the last few years and I think I have a pretty good feel for what I like in that area and was ready to expand. But this two year old thread hasn't even reached page 2? Is surly just not into scotchety scotch scotch? 

So far I like Glenmorangie 10, Ardbeg An OA, and Highland Park Magnus. I don't want to spend too much on any bottles until I have tested the styles. I'm really liking Glenmorangie at the price point. I'm now looking for more sherry or port cask scotches. My first high dollar purchase at a friends recommendation will likely be Dalmore Cigar Malt. I'm not ready to drop that amount just yet though.

U prob know that glenmorangie makes a lasanta in sherry cask and Quinta ruban in port. 

Currently going through a Bunnahabhain 18, which also gets my nod got best distillery name

9 hours ago, 'stache said:

So far I like Glenmorangie 10, Ardbeg An OA, and Highland Park Magnus. 

That's a pretty substantial palate range , as the Ardbeg and Highland Park are going to be quite a bit peatier than the Glenmorangie . . . at least that's what I assume based on the products that Ardbeg and HP put out.  (I haven't had either one of those particular distillations.)

If you like the Glenmorangie, then you'll probably really like the Lasanta, as others have recommended.  You might try Macallan 12 or 15, both of which are a little fuller than the basic Macallan 10.  And given that you like the Ardbeg and HP, you might like one of my faves in the under $50 category -- Talisker 10.  Good balance of peat and grassy, IMO.

I'm more of a bourbon guy, but when it's colder and rainier, I often reach for scotch instead.  Summertime?  I start heading for rum.  Bourbon all year 'round.

• 3 weeks later...

Was at lunch at Barnett’s in Waco today, and got lucky that one of the regular big whiskey buyers was in there.  

got to try Macallan Relfexion, M, and M black.  All 3 of them unfuckingbelievable.  Can’t even describe other than just the most well-balanced, flavorful and delicious batches of juice I’ve ever had.  

43 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Was at lunch at Barnett’s in Waco today, and got lucky that one of the regular big whiskey buyers was in there.  

got to try Macallan Relfexion, M, and M black.  All 3 of them unfuckingbelievable.  Can’t even describe other than just the most well-balanced, flavorful and delicious batches of juice I’ve ever had.  

I'd say you were *damn* lucky.   

• Like 1

• 4 months later...