Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

Aggie 247 / Perroni / Father of 5-star CB Grimes on status after Linguist leaves

Spoiler

On Sunday morning, news broke that Texas A&M cornerbacks coach Maurice Linguist would be leaving the Aggies to take a job with the Dallas Cowboys. An up-and-comer in the business, it is not surprising that he was looked at by other teams.

Linguist was also one of A&M's better recruiters, so it brought up some questions about where the team now stands with some top targets. Chief among this is five-star Virginia Beach (Va.) Princess Anne cornerback Tony Grimes. The top corner in the country for the 2021 class, Grimes has twice spent a week in College Station the past two summers and is very high on the Maroon and White. His father, Deon Glover, says he appreciated that Linguist let the family know before the news came out.

"Coach Mo is awesome," Glover said. "And you can tell the type of coach he is by the way he communicated with me about his departure. Exact words were 'Coach Glover, I want you to hear it from me first. I took a job with the Cowboys. I don’t want you to find out through social media. I want you to hear it from me. I love your son and your family.'"

Losing Linguist is not ideal for A&M as it recruits the five-star corner.

"Coach Mo is a brilliant DB coach. I hate to see him go," Glover said. "It's a tough blow because we've been building with (former defensive analyst) Christian Parker and coach Mo since A&M offered Tony. Christian Parker is now at Green Bay and now Mo is going to the Cowboys.

"I'm extremely happy for the growth and advancements that they are making. But, on the flip side, tey were major pieces in our decision making to A&M."

However, the family is willing to give the new coach, whoever it may be, a chance.

"Of course we like coach Fisher, but Tony will be spending most of his time with the DB coach," Glover said. "We definitely gotta meet with the staff to see what direction they are going in with the new DB coach.

"Gotta meet with the staff and reevaluate somethings. Just like coaches reevaluate offers given out before taking the new job, we gotta meet with the staff and see what's what."

Grimes currently has an official visit scheduled to Aggieland for April and plans to make a decision in late November. That first part could potentially be pushed back, though.

"We also need to have another discussion about the official we had set up with them in April," Glover said.

Grimes, the nation's No. 10 overall prospect in the class, currently has A&M, Clemson and Penn State as three schools he plans to take officials to and those three could be considered his de facto top group.

Aggie 247 / Hattersley / Quick note on Ishmael Ibraheem re: Linguist

Spoiler

Just caught up briefly with Ishmael Ibraheem. He was understandably disappointed about Linguist leaving, he had a really good relationship with him and liked his history of getting players to the next level. He said he’ll just wait on who A&M hires and then start building a relationship from there but that history of getting players to the NFL is important for him. He is planning to visit and said he’ll use that as an opportunity to get to know the new hire.

I don’t understand the Grimes situation.  Having Jaylon Jones locked down and never strayed, and now in a seemingly good position with Grimes is going to be tough to swallow.  While SEC is moving towards modern offenses, seems like they still play plenty of 3yds and cloud of dust teams.  Oh well guess it’s for Herman to figure out. 

4 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

People realize that Henson isn't the issue with A&M's OL, right? The common denominator across 4 OL coaches that "sucked" was Jimbo.

Turner left him in a spot, but he didn’t exactly do anything with it either.  I’d rather they keep him than potentially fall backwards into someone who can coach (guards) 

59 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Turner left him in a spot, but he didn’t exactly do anything with it either.  I’d rather they keep him than potentially fall backwards into someone who can coach (guards) 

The best thing you can say about Henson, he figured out quick that Green was a guard.

37 minutes ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

I was going to say at least he didn't put on a Women's Clinic and make a certain PPT...

They paid a rape coverup artist 75m in an attempt to win.  Do you think anyone over there really gaf about embarrassing a few moms and sisters with some lowbrow pp slides?

• Like 1

From IT, Byrd talking about local schools:

Texas:
“This recruiting class for the offensive line is really good. I know a few, I met up with some at the Auburn vs. Oregon game like Tommy Brockermeyer."

"Texas, I like their program. I’ve been there a couple times. You can tell the relationships with the coaches is really well. They push each other hard.”

Texas A&M:
“A&M said they’re going to start to hit me up a little more. They just recently got my number.”

18 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Jimbo will make up for lost time by talking extra fast...

Jimbo:
Hey man, is this dang ol' Savion Byrd? Hey listen, there's a dang ol' new coach in here, and dang ol' Coach Henson went boom!

Savion Byrd:
Sir, you are going to have to speak a lot more slowly.

Jimbo:
Dang... ol'... new O-line coach... done git went got it, and dang ol' boom!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TBGFL said:

OL recruiting has always been a tough spot for Jimbo. At FSU he was dogshit at recruiting OL, WR and LB. 

Yeah, there's also something behind the idea he's shit at evaluating positional fit. Jimbo doesn't know what an offensive tackle or corner looks like. Something else that I'm starting to notice is that he's not all that great at evaluating pass rushing DEs. A&M has landed some studs on the DL but I see a lot of those guys as interior DL.