Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

19 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Also a guy that couldn’t even start for a shitty B12 team.  Guess that juco is getting him SEC-ready. 

Stupid sips. He was only unmotivated in the bdf because it wasn't challenging. That won't be the case in the ess arr see. Gump out front should have told ya.

Aggie 247 / Brian Perroni / My early Texas Top 25 for 2021

Spoiler

My early Texas Top 25 for 2021

Brian Perroni

The updated rankings come out tomorrow (Wednesday), so I figured I would give my rankings before those were released. I still have not see the new rankings as they will probably be sent out this evening. The official 247 ones will see plenty of change, as will mine.

1. OT Donovan Jackson, Houston Episcopal: Sure, he's not 6-5. But I don't care. He has long arms and tremendous feet. The Ohio State commit can also play anywhere on the line.

2. DE Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove: I know some people aren't fans of his junior tape, but he played a lot of LB at 6-6/240 and was named the Class 4A Defensive Player of the Year. He has all the tools to be an absolute stud in college.

3. RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair: I am higher on LJ Johnson than most are, but he's a big, hard runner than ran a laser 4.42 last spring. He also averaged almost 10 yards/carry in a tough Class 6A district.

4. OT Tommy Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints: His sophomore film is outstanding and he has NFL bloodlines. But, he missed his junior year with a shoulder injury. Will he be able to bounce back.

5. DE Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins: He technically won't be in the state rankings since he is now at IMG, but I love how aggressive he is and how he fights through double teams. He's also now down to 245.

6. OT Reuben Fatheree, Richmond Foster: He looks like an NFL offensive tackle already. He still needs a little polish, but he probably has the highest upside of any player on this list.

7. DE Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan: The Texas commit might even be better at TE as he dominated on offense as a junior as well. He's an elite pass rusher, though.

8. RB Camar Wheaton, Garland Lakeview Centennial: He's big and very fast. However, I want to see more consistency. He had a few huge games, but he also seemingly disappeared in a number of others.

9. WR Cody Jackson, Richmond Foster: I'm going to go with a lazy comparison in a player from his high school and who went to OU, where Jackson is committed, in CeeDee Lamb. It's a good one, though.

10. WR Shadrach Banks, North Shore: I really wish the A&M commit could have been healthy all season. He's built like a linebacker, but has serious speed. He can play slot or outside WR.

11. QB Eli Stowers, Denton Guyer: Stowers is 6-4/215 and high jumped 7' as a sophomore. He cut his INT way down this year with 4 to 36 TD and also ran for over 1,000 yards. An injury in the state title game is worrisome, so he could be higher than this when he comes back from that.

12. ATH Billy Bowman, Denton Ryan: The Texas commit is fast and can be a standout at WR or CB. He's really good.

13. OG Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor: Foster has been a standout on a Class 6A varsity squad for three years already and helped Taylor to the state semifinals this past season. He is strong as an ox but, like many high school guards, needs to watch his weight. He came in at 348 at Texas last month.

14. OT Savion Byrd, Duncanville: I wish he would have played OT instead of DL as a junior to see how much he improved from his sophomore season. All the tools are there, though.

15. WR JoJo Earle, Aledo: He's fast and incredibly dangerous in the slot.

16. QB Dematrius Davis, North Shore: He may be under 6-0, but he is an elite passer and runner. If he sticks with his Virginia Tech pledge, the Hokies got an absolute steal.

17. DE Marcus Burris, Texarkana Pleasant Grove: He could be even higher depending on how big he stays. If he is able to remain at SDE in college, watch out.

18. DE Shemar Turner, DeSoto: See above. Same as Burris.

19. LB Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney: The Texas commit could probably be higher simply because of supply and demand. He is a true linebacker when there aren't many out there. And he had one of the best defensive seasons in Greater Houston.

20. LB Morice Blackwell, Arlington Martin: He may only be 6-1/190 but he flies to the ball and loves to hit. He has the frame to grow a bit and it's easy to see why so many schools have offered as of late.

21. QB Preston Stone, Dallas Parish Episcopal: He should put up huge numbers at SMU. He models his game after Johnny Manziel and, while he's not Johnny, he has an uncanny ability to keep plays alive.

22. WR Quaydarius Davis, Dallas Skyline: Like Banks, Davis is a pretty thick kid that can run. He, too, can play inside or out.

23. QB Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins: Milroe has not been asked to pass a ton as Tompkins has had some very good RBs these past two seasons. But, he has a strong arm and the Texas commit should excel at the next level.

24. QB Garrett Nussmeier, Flower Mound Marcus: I had not watched a ton of his film before going through the highlights of new A&M WR offer J.Michael Sturdivant. After seeing some impressive throws on there, I went back and watched Nussmeier's whole highlights and he can make just about any throw he's asked to make.

25. DE David Abiara, Mansfield Legacy: He is 240 pounds but looks smaller than that as he gets off the line quick as a pass rusher.

Just missed (alphabetical order): Duncanville LB Kendrick Blackshire, Denton Guyer CB Deuce Harmon, Dallas Kimball CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Houston Episcopal OT Cullen Montgomery, Eastland QB Behren Morton, North Shore OG Jaeden Roberts, Lubbock Coronado QB Sawyer Robertson, Flower Mound Marcus WR J'Michael Sturdivant

21 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Aggie 247 / Brian Perroni / My early Texas Top 25 for 2021

Hide contents

My early Texas Top 25 for 2021

Brian Perroni

The updated rankings come out tomorrow (Wednesday), so I figured I would give my rankings before those were released. I still have not see the new rankings as they will probably be sent out this evening. The official 247 ones will see plenty of change, as will mine.

1. OT Donovan Jackson, Houston Episcopal: Sure, he's not 6-5. But I don't care. He has long arms and tremendous feet. The Ohio State commit can also play anywhere on the line.

2. DE Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove: I know some people aren't fans of his junior tape, but he played a lot of LB at 6-6/240 and was named the Class 4A Defensive Player of the Year. He has all the tools to be an absolute stud in college.

3. RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair: I am higher on LJ Johnson than most are, but he's a big, hard runner than ran a laser 4.42 last spring. He also averaged almost 10 yards/carry in a tough Class 6A district.

4. OT Tommy Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints: His sophomore film is outstanding and he has NFL bloodlines. But, he missed his junior year with a shoulder injury. Will he be able to bounce back.

5. DE Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins: He technically won't be in the state rankings since he is now at IMG, but I love how aggressive he is and how he fights through double teams. He's also now down to 245.

6. OT Reuben Fatheree, Richmond Foster: He looks like an NFL offensive tackle already. He still needs a little polish, but he probably has the highest upside of any player on this list.

7. DE Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan: The Texas commit might even be better at TE as he dominated on offense as a junior as well. He's an elite pass rusher, though.

8. RB Camar Wheaton, Garland Lakeview Centennial: He's big and very fast. However, I want to see more consistency. He had a few huge games, but he also seemingly disappeared in a number of others.

9. WR Cody Jackson, Richmond Foster: I'm going to go with a lazy comparison in a player from his high school and who went to OU, where Jackson is committed, in CeeDee Lamb. It's a good one, though.

10. WR Shadrach Banks, North Shore: I really wish the A&M commit could have been healthy all season. He's built like a linebacker, but has serious speed. He can play slot or outside WR.

11. QB Eli Stowers, Denton Guyer: Stowers is 6-4/215 and high jumped 7' as a sophomore. He cut his INT way down this year with 4 to 36 TD and also ran for over 1,000 yards. An injury in the state title game is worrisome, so he could be higher than this when he comes back from that.

12. ATH Billy Bowman, Denton Ryan: The Texas commit is fast and can be a standout at WR or CB. He's really good.

13. OG Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor: Foster has been a standout on a Class 6A varsity squad for three years already and helped Taylor to the state semifinals this past season. He is strong as an ox but, like many high school guards, needs to watch his weight. He came in at 348 at Texas last month.

14. OT Savion Byrd, Duncanville: I wish he would have played OT instead of DL as a junior to see how much he improved from his sophomore season. All the tools are there, though.

15. WR JoJo Earle, Aledo: He's fast and incredibly dangerous in the slot.

16. QB Dematrius Davis, North Shore: He may be under 6-0, but he is an elite passer and runner. If he sticks with his Virginia Tech pledge, the Hokies got an absolute steal.

17. DE Marcus Burris, Texarkana Pleasant Grove: He could be even higher depending on how big he stays. If he is able to remain at SDE in college, watch out.

18. DE Shemar Turner, DeSoto: See above. Same as Burris.

19. LB Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney: The Texas commit could probably be higher simply because of supply and demand. He is a true linebacker when there aren't many out there. And he had one of the best defensive seasons in Greater Houston.

20. LB Morice Blackwell, Arlington Martin: He may only be 6-1/190 but he flies to the ball and loves to hit. He has the frame to grow a bit and it's easy to see why so many schools have offered as of late.

21. QB Preston Stone, Dallas Parish Episcopal: He should put up huge numbers at SMU. He models his game after Johnny Manziel and, while he's not Johnny, he has an uncanny ability to keep plays alive.

22. WR Quaydarius Davis, Dallas Skyline: Like Banks, Davis is a pretty thick kid that can run. He, too, can play inside or out.

23. QB Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins: Milroe has not been asked to pass a ton as Tompkins has had some very good RBs these past two seasons. But, he has a strong arm and the Texas commit should excel at the next level.

24. QB Garrett Nussmeier, Flower Mound Marcus: I had not watched a ton of his film before going through the highlights of new A&M WR offer J.Michael Sturdivant. After seeing some impressive throws on there, I went back and watched Nussmeier's whole highlights and he can make just about any throw he's asked to make.

25. DE David Abiara, Mansfield Legacy: He is 240 pounds but looks smaller than that as he gets off the line quick as a pass rusher.

Just missed (alphabetical order): Duncanville LB Kendrick Blackshire, Denton Guyer CB Deuce Harmon, Dallas Kimball CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Houston Episcopal OT Cullen Montgomery, Eastland QB Behren Morton, North Shore OG Jaeden Roberts, Lubbock Coronado QB Sawyer Robertson, Flower Mound Marcus WR J'Michael Sturdivant

Stowers at 11 and Milroe at 23, bless that man's heart

• Like 1

PERRONI COMMENTS

Brian Perroni
I might have Ja'Tavion Sanders as well as Marcus Burris and Shemar Turner too low. Cody Jackson and Quaydarius Davis may be a bit too high.

Brian Perroni
Sanders was a big target of A&M's before he committed. I'm guessing there is still work going on behind the scenes.

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Pretty sure Sanders visited them for the pool party.  I'm betting he was one of the ones that laughed at Chef Price when he was telling recruits more aggy players have been drafted than Texas when a simple google search proved otherwise.

After committing to us?  Or was it before?

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Move related to Cupp’s rehab?  He and wydermyer should be the only ones to see the field at that position, with Beal as emergency backup. 

Yeah, I think the push to a portal or medical scholarship, as another poster theorized, is more likely. They still need people to leave. As you said, that is one position they don't need the depth at, really, while DL always needs bodies. 

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Move related to Cupp’s rehab?  He and wydermyer should be the only ones to see the field at that position, with Beal as emergency backup. 

Between Wright's move to TE and talking Beal into staying/removing his name from the portal, it doesn't seem like they think Cupp will be ready. It also doesn't seem like they think Blake Smith will be contributing early either. 

I can't figure out what's going on with their roster mgmt but I also remember that Fisher was carrying 7 TEs at FSU during the downward spiral there.  Seven. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Between Wright's move to TE and talking Beal into staying/removing his name from the portal, it doesn't seem like they think Cupp will be ready. It also doesn't seem like they think Blake Smith will be contributing early either. 

I can't figure out what's going on with their roster mgmt but I also remember that Fisher was carrying 7 TEs at FSU during the downward spiral there.  Seven. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dametrius Crownover will save the day 

Advantage: A&M
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

Dametrius Crownover will save the day 

I watch his highlights and the thing I keep thinking he could he be an OT. He just doesn't have that suddenness as a DE but he's a huge kid with some good football instincts and no coaching/technique at all. I think he could add the needed weight on that frame easily. Spend his RS and RS FR year playing inline TE and adding the bulk as he grows into an OT, like a budget Eric Winston. I guess being the 3rd OT on the LOS is probably what Jimbo envisions. 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He had a huge drop in 247 today. What are your thoughts on him?
He certainly doesn’t seem like a prospect that’s worth using a second roster spot on his brother. 

Watched him awhile back and thought he was a lumbering plodder, and didn't understand his high ranking. He's a wait and see guy, for me. 

Yeah, it's hilarious that A&M is using a 2021 counter on his brother. It's the 2021 version of Jordan Jefferson, and it really only made sense if they would have let him join in the spring 

• Like 1

Landon Jackson sets 2 OVs via aggy 247 ::

We reported this a couple weeks ago and it had been on his profile, but Landon Jackson confirmed he will take his first official visit to Texas A&M April 17-19.

He also announced he will take his second one to LSU on May 8-10

Just now, texifornia said:

Yeah but you see Stowers can throw the ball very very far. He has no idea whether it's going to go to a wide receiver, a safety, or a cheerleader, but it goes very far.

Maybe Aggy will get him to wear women’s underwear and breathe through his eyelids. I’m sure plenty of dudes will be happy to loan Stowers their lingerie. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Roller Coaster is going up.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3095551

Ha!!   11-1, just need 7 true freshmen "elites" to break out right now!  

They have recruited some talent, but if things are bad enough with 30% of your roster that true freshmen are starting, 7-5 is much more likely that 11-1. 

I expect they will have a decent year with their schedule, probably finish 3rd in the SECw.  By the time their younger talent has matured they will be looking for ways to fire the cuck for cause. 

Edited by Treefidy

I love how they just put up class rankings compared to ________ school, without an ounce of thought that most of the upper classmen classes have portaled.

2016 - They have Anderson(OL), McCollum(OL), Hasford, Fuller, Okeke, and Chattman left. The best player from that class was the punter Mann.

2018 - 11 kids have already left due to the portal, NFL draft, or medical.

Of the kids remaining, here are the top 5 or so recruits.

#1 - has predictably been awful in O'Neal.

#2 - Preston and he has seen less than 5% of the offensive snaps in 2 years.

#3 - Blanton is barely hanging on before his going to have to take a medical

#4 - Brown is so fat and out of shape he can only play a handful of downs before needed a sizable break

#5 - Wright's knee surgeries have forced him to another position in the hopes he portals.

Their 2018 class was so badly put together, it's going to kill them next year.

On top of it all, they still need to lose 5 more guys to get to the 85 limit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah but you see Stowers can throw the ball very very far. He has no idea whether it's going to go to a wide receiver, a safety, or a cheerleader, but it goes very far.

But that’s a new aggy turdition. They took Zach “Wild Thing” Calzada last year. 

more aggy offers going out - vai Hamm Lite 

Missouri OT Connor Tollison. I don't know a ton about him yet.

https://247sports.com/Player/Connor-Tollison-46078884/

JUCO CB De'Jahn Warren. He's a December grad with two to play two.

https://247sports.com/Player/DeJahn-Warren-46098256/

Don't think I approve of the Tollison offer - he is very uncube. 

Spoiler

Jason Howell

7:12a 

Staff

*A few weeks later and it still amazes me the Aggies landed McKinnley Jackson - I know you're saying but Jason we're onto 2021 now, and I'm saying shut it because I want to talk about landing McKinnley Jackson. Going into deep south Mississippi and fighting off Alabama and LSU for the top unsigned DT in the late signing period is as big as it gets in the recruiting world. The fact no one else saw it coming only makes it sweeter for the Aggies. It was yet another big, bold, Jimbo Fisher recruiting power play. He's made several since he arrived and the Aggies are recruiting at a national championship level. I'm not saying you have to agree with every move made, because I haven't, but Jimbo Fisher has shown there's reason to trust the great majority of his decision making on the recruiting trail. 

*Early official visits - someone asked for thoughts about prospects taking spring official visits earlier this week. To me it depends on the recruit. You have to know where you're at with the prospect and what commitment means to them. It certainly worked out well with Demarvin Leal and Erick Young in 2019, and in 2020 it proved effective for Muhsin Muhammad. Getting guys on campus is a must in the recruiting game, and if you can do that, make the big impression, and lock in a top prospect then you've accomplished the goal. So, I don't have a problem with it at all, and I think it can work out really well if done right.

*Some 2021 thoughts
-CB Deuce Harmon is my highest confidence pick to join the Aggies' class right now.
-I still like the Aggies' chances with guys like Reuben FathereeBryce FosterShemar TurnerLandon JacksonMarcus BurrisJordon Thomas, and Ishmael Ibraheem. I'm not ready to put them all on commit watch, but these are all guys I believe the Aggies will get on campus again soon, and will be squarely in the mix for when it comes to decision making time.
-WR Ketron Jackson is another guy I feel like the Aggies have a great shot with after my interview. Coach Craig has done a great job there and the Super Bowl weekend has the Aggies very high on his list.
-One thing we've come to expect is a nice dose of out of state recruiting, and I don't expect that to change in 2021.
-Texas A&M will also have a strong in-state presence.