Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

24 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Jason Howell

7:12a 

Staff

*A few weeks later and it still amazes me the Aggies landed McKinnley Jackson - I know you're saying but Jason we're onto 2021 now, and I'm saying shut it because I want to talk about landing McKinnley Jackson. Going into deep south Mississippi and fighting off Alabama and LSU for the top unsigned DT in the late signing period is as big as it gets in the recruiting world. The fact no one else saw it coming only makes it sweeter for the Aggies. It was yet another big, bold, Jimbo Fisher recruiting power play. He's made several since he arrived and the Aggies are recruiting at a national championship level. I'm not saying you have to agree with every move made, because I haven't, but Jimbo Fisher has shown there's reason to trust the great majority of his decision making on the recruiting trail. 

*Early official visits - someone asked for thoughts about prospects taking spring official visits earlier this week. To me it depends on the recruit. You have to know where you're at with the prospect and what commitment means to them. It certainly worked out well with Demarvin Leal and Erick Young in 2019, and in 2020 it proved effective for Muhsin Muhammad. Getting guys on campus is a must in the recruiting game, and if you can do that, make the big impression, and lock in a top prospect then you've accomplished the goal. So, I don't have a problem with it at all, and I think it can work out really well if done right.

*Some 2021 thoughts
-CB Deuce Harmon is my highest confidence pick to join the Aggies' class right now.
-I still like the Aggies' chances with guys like Reuben FathereeBryce FosterShemar TurnerLandon JacksonMarcus BurrisJordon Thomas, and Ishmael Ibraheem. I'm not ready to put them all on commit watch, but these are all guys I believe the Aggies will get on campus again soon, and will be squarely in the mix for when it comes to decision making time.
-WR Ketron Jackson is another guy I feel like the Aggies have a great shot with after my interview. Coach Craig has done a great job there and the Super Bowl weekend has the Aggies very high on his list.
-One thing we've come to expect is a nice dose of out of state recruiting, and I don't expect that to change in 2021.
-Texas A&M will also have a strong in-state presence. 

Recap--if done right, aggy can pay both in state and out of state prospects during their early official or late visits and have a shot at landing them. 

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

*ahem* 

9659496.jpeg?width=600&fit=bounds

Leon clearly doesn't understand that the best DBs are the ones people DON'T notice. Drawing attention to yourself (by chasing a receiver from 5 yards behind or tweeting stupid shit) isn't the way to go. There is only one Deion Sanders in the world.

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

-WR Ketron Jackson is another guy I feel like the Aggies have a great shot with after my interview. Coach Craig has done a great job there and the Super Bowl weekend has the Aggies very high on his list.

This kid has some sort of red flags, although I don't know the details. Maybe grades? Either way, should fight right in there. 

56 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Leon clearly doesn't understand that the best DBs are the ones people DON'T notice. Drawing attention to yourself (by chasing a receiver from 5 yards behind or tweeting stupid shit) isn't the way to go. There is only one Deion Sanders in the world.

They also tend to run sub 5 40s

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

finally!

who is he?

*runs over to google*

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_bff83fbe-576a-11ea-b7f5-5fd967314fab.html

maybe decent option?

He coached at Texas for a bit, but was pretty underwhelming and a much worse recruiter than his reputation suggested. IIRC, he had some good success recruiting to USC after Texas.  Based on everything I've read, Coach O was letting him go, so that's probably not a great sign. 

I'd give that hire a very solid meh for A&M. 

Spoiler

Liucci

7:03p 

Staff

AG

...by adding former LSU assistant Tommie Robinson as the Ags' new running backs coach. 

This completes the Ags' 2020 staff and I think it's safe to say Fisher has upgraded from top-to-bottom and that this is very likely his best staff - in terms of on the field and in the recruiting front - in three seasons at the helm in College Station. 

Robinson's work at LSU stands out (he helped take Derius Guice from lightly-regraded recruit for record-setting runner and turned Clyde Edwards-Helaire into one of the nations best this fall) but he was also named the Pac-12 recruiter of the year at USC. Very strong hire by Fisher and the Ags. More thoughts to follow.

3 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

Staff

AG

...by adding former LSU assistant Tommie Robinson as the Ags' new running backs coach. 

This completes the Ags' 2020 staff and I think it's safe to say Fisher has upgraded from top-to-bottom and that this is very likely his best staff - in terms of on the field and in the recruiting front - in three seasons at the helm in College Station. 

Robinson's work at LSU stands out (he helped take Derius Guice from lightly-regraded recruit for record-setting runner and turned Clyde Edwards-Helaire into one of the nations best this fall) but he was also named the Pac-12 recruiter of the year at USC. Very strong hire by Fisher and the Ags. More thoughts to follow.

I swear to God he just has an AI auto-generating his articles at this point

• Like 1

LIUCCI

"Robinson's work at LSU stands out (he helped take Derius Guice from lightly-regraded recruit for record-setting runner"

Assuming Liucci meant "lightly-regarded to record-setting runner" ... 

Derrius Guice was the #45 overall recruit in the nation (and 4th highest in LSU's class).

image.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

Staff

AG

Guice lightly regarded?! He was .97 on 247, was the number 5 back in the nation and had an offer from Bamma. Is he fuckin high?!

43 minutes ago, Getafix said:

LIUCCI

"Robinson's work at LSU stands out (he helped take Derius Guice from lightly-regraded recruit for record-setting runner"

Assuming Liucci meant "lightly-regarded to record-setting runner" ... 

Derrius Guice was the #45 overall recruit in the nation (and 4th highest in LSU's class).

image.png

The stupid fucking hurts, it’s so bad 

Chin pubes Looch consults with Taylor Hamm in the shit house to compile his recruiting rankings, which are the only rankings that matter if you ask any aggy. Rivals sucks a lot of dicks these days, but their work is vastly superior compared to Looch's biased rankings.

8 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy hired Tommie Robinson as the new RB coach.

Ha. Robinson has been good to great everywhere except Texas. He was good at USC, and fucking tremendous at LSU. The operating theory is he’s great when a school is paying kids. Let’s see how his second round in Texas goes. Because he was a fucking worthless dildo while he was here. 

7 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

Staff

AG

Did he just cal Darrius Guice, high 4 star and top 50 player in his class “lightly regarded?” 

theres only one regard referenced in that post and it’s the fucking author. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha. Robinson has been good to great everywhere except Texas. He was good at USC, and fucking tremendous at LSU. The operating theory is he’s great when a school is paying kids. Let’s see how his second round in Texas goes. Because he was a fucking worthless dildo while he was here. 

You think he’s been great at LSU? They weren’t going to renew his contract... 

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You think he’s been great at LSU? They weren’t going to renew his contract... 

Because they like Faulk better. Tell me which part about RB recruiting or production you’d be critical of at LSU during his tenure? Is LSU plug and play? Maybe. Probably. But dude is the rb coach, and rb recruiting and production have been outstanding there. How exactly are you going to shit on him? 

Unless it’s a Mehringer situation there and he didn’t recruit any of their players for real, which we haven’t heard anything like that, wheres the beef? At worst he’s a Stan Drayton non volume recruiter maybe? 

Edited by SydneyCarton

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because they like Faulk better. Tell me which part about RB recruiting or production you’d be critical of at LSU during his tenure? Is LSU plug and play? Maybe. Probably. But dude is the rb coach, and rb recruiting and production have been outstanding there. How exactly are you going to shit on him? 

You doubt the wisdom of a one Sir Edgart Reginald Orgeron, IV, at your own peril, sir. Burt Macklin is merely giving credit where credit is due. LSU just won a national title in large part because of Sir Orgy’s profound and repeatable personnel management genius. 

Perhaps it’s time for you to push away for a minute from worshipping at the altar of Saint Thomastard the Hermanticore and see who the dominant mental wizards in college football really are. 

Edited by closetojumping
meh persian mythological spelling

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha. Robinson has been good to great everywhere except Texas. He was good at USC, and fucking tremendous at LSU. The operating theory is he’s great when a school is paying kids. 

based on how many checks this board says we're writing, he's going to be fucking awesome. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Hah, they're trying to make their own Grove

As a tree advocate and volunteer, anything that brings more tree canopy to College Station has my support. If they're lucky the trees will be large with enough canopy to cover up some of the atrocious architecture from at least some of the lines of sight/viewsheds.

• Haha 1

Just now, PHLaggie said:

As a tree advocate and volunteer, anything that brings more tree canopy to College Station has my support. If they're lucky the trees will be large with enough canopy to cover up some of the atrocious architecture from at least some of the lines of sight/viewsheds.

It's a good idea. The execution could be interesting in terms of how natural and lush it can look and getting real shade cover. Obviously growing a nice forest is easier in Mississippi.

Tell me which part about RB recruiting or production you’d be critical of at LSU during his tenure? Is LSU plug and play? Maybe. Probably. But dude is the rb coach, and rb recruiting and production have been outstanding there. How exactly are you going to shit on him? 

Lulz. I didn’t shit on him. I said he was a pretty meh hire. Not great, not terrible. You’re the one who said he’s been good to great everywhere he’s been except Texas. 

This cant really be your standard, can it? Show me bad RB production and recruiting at LSU at any point in the last 20 years. He gets gifted guys like Emery and Guice, who even Todd Orlando could’ve landed if he was the RB coach at LSU. As for production levels, that’s much more dependent on the OC and the overall offense. He had some good recruiting victories at USC, but Tee Martin was listed as the secondary recruiter on most of those recruitments, so it’s hard to know if Robinson landed those guys or if it was more of a Mehringer gets credit for Jake Smith kind of situation. He doesn’t appear to be much of a volume recruiter, and he’s not God’s gift to RBs as far as coaching goes. 

I’m not saying he’s horrible, but the points you bring up about LSU are not meaningful indicators as to how he’ll do elsewhere.

At worst he’s a Stan Drayton non volume recruiter maybe? 

I’d say Drayton, a guy who many people would prefer to replace, is a decent comp but not at worst. Robinson’s had some good RBs and has a long history as a RB coach. When he’s at a school that recruits well and pays, he does pretty well, but he’s not otherwise great. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You doubt the wisdom of a one Sir Edgart Reginald Orgeron, IV, at your own peril, sir. Burt Macklin is merely giving credit where credit is due. LSU just won a national title in large part because of Sir Orgy’s profound and repeatable personnel management genius. 

Perhaps it’s time for you to push away for a minute from worshipping at the altar of Saint Thomastard the Hermanticore and see who the dominant mental wizards in college football really are. 

Idk what is going on with this bloviating attempt at humor, but do you actually think Tommie Robinson is a good hire by ole Jimbo?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

They will probably plant live oaks so they will have shade in a hundred years or so...

Spoiler

Liucci

11:11p, 2/24/20 

Staff

AG

Feel however you want about the hire but if you choose to believe everything coming out of Baton Rouge then that's your prerogative.  

I've maintained all along that Ed O isn't the easiest head coach to work for and stand by that. There's a reason Raymond - an LSU lifer - has reached out to A&M twice and it hasn't just been in an effort to get a raise. Same with Aranda jumping into the mix before Fisher closed out Elko at Notre Dame.

So you can believe that LSU was so fired up about promoting Kevin Faulk, an LSU legend but one who has never been on the recruiting trail or been a college position coach, that they 'pushed Robinson out' or you can believe that Tommie was looking around, which was why he at one point appeared South Carolina-bound and ultimately landed at A&M. Muschamp was hoping he could make the hire but the Gamecocks were unable to close. And rumor out of Baton Rouge is that Orgeron actually did try to counter-offer the Ags in the last couple of days but it wasn't enough to keep Robinson on the Bayou.  

Folks, this will be a he-said, she-said in which you'll have to choose to believe what you want. What I don't get is the folks who have seen what Jimbo Fisher and A&M are capable of in terms of hire yet still default to always 'believing the other side.' We have some on here who will voluntarily buy the Purple and Gold narrative from fans, message board fanatics and LSU insiders simply 'because.' Many of the same folks who were miserable and skeptical throughout the run towards the nation's No. 6-ranked class in the 2020 recruiting race.

All that really matters is whether or not Fisher and the Aggies landed a damn good position coach and recruiter and Robinson's resume screams as much. He could absolutely turn out to be an upgrade on the recruiting front and his development of Clyde Edwards-Helaire was very impressive, as was turning Nick Brossette into a 1,000-yard rusher in the SEC in 2018. Fisher considered no fewer than three current SEC assistants (including the eventual hire) and a prominent NFL assistant looking to get back to the college game before making his choice. All four would have likely taken the job and the options were impressive so quite a bit went into the decision.

As I said earlier today, what Fisher did in terms of upgrading his entire staff with the four new additions was really damn impressive. He was patient and went out and made hires from LSU, Florida State and Georgia (x2) and brought back a young linebackers coach hand-picked by his defensive coordinator and being groomed as a future Power 5 DC.  

Fisher knocked it out of the park this go-round and you're about to see the impact on the 2021 recruiting front prior to the upcoming season...with Tommie Robinson playing a key role, LSU stans be damned.

8 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

11:11p, 2/24/20 

Staff

AG

Feel however you want about the hire but if you choose to believe everything coming out of Baton Rouge then that's your prerogative.  

I've maintained all along that Ed O isn't the easiest head coach to work for and stand by that. There's a reason Raymond - an LSU lifer - has reached out to A&M twice and it hasn't just been in an effort to get a raise. Same with Aranda jumping into the mix before Fisher closed out Elko at Notre Dame.

So you can believe that LSU was so fired up about promoting Kevin Faulk, an LSU legend but one who has never been on the recruiting trail or been a college position coach, that they 'pushed Robinson out' or you can believe that Tommie was looking around, which was why he at one point appeared South Carolina-bound and ultimately landed at A&M. Muschamp was hoping he could make the hire but the Gamecocks were unable to close. And rumor out of Baton Rouge is that Orgeron actually did try to counter-offer the Ags in the last couple of days but it wasn't enough to keep Robinson on the Bayou.  

Folks, this will be a he-said, she-said in which you'll have to choose to believe what you want. What I don't get is the folks who have seen what Jimbo Fisher and A&M are capable of in terms of hire yet still default to always 'believing the other side.' We have some on here who will voluntarily buy the Purple and Gold narrative from fans, message board fanatics and LSU insiders simply 'because.' Many of the same folks who were miserable and skeptical throughout the run towards the nation's No. 6-ranked class in the 2020 recruiting race.

All that really matters is whether or not Fisher and the Aggies landed a damn good position coach and recruiter and Robinson's resume screams as much. He could absolutely turn out to be an upgrade on the recruiting front and his development of Clyde Edwards-Helaire was very impressive, as was turning Nick Brossette into a 1,000-yard rusher in the SEC in 2018. Fisher considered no fewer than three current SEC assistants (including the eventual hire) and a prominent NFL assistant looking to get back to the college game before making his choice. All four would have likely taken the job and the options were impressive so quite a bit went into the decision.

As I said earlier today, what Fisher did in terms of upgrading his entire staff with the four new additions was really damn impressive. He was patient and went out and made hires from LSU, Florida State and Georgia (x2) and brought back a young linebackers coach hand-picked by his defensive coordinator and being groomed as a future Power 5 DC.  

Fisher knocked it out of the park this go-round and you're about to see the impact on the 2021 recruiting front prior to the upcoming season...with Tommie Robinson playing a key role, LSU stans be damned.

All that really matters is whether or not Fisher and the Aggies landed a damn good position coach and recruiter and Robinson's resume screams as much. 

isn't he known as an excellent recruiter and a sub par position coach?

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Lol so now aranda and Raymond wanted in, and aggy stole Robinson from LSU AND South Carolina.  

Raymond has reached out twice, not left either time and IIRC received a bump from LSU both times.

but sure he didn't want to just get a raise. it's why he is the DB coach at THE university of Texas A&M #LitStation

...right?

19 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Muschamp was hoping he could make the hire but the Gamecocks were unable to close. And rumor out of Baton Rouge is that Orgeron actually did try to counter-offer the Ags in the last couple of days but it wasn't enough to keep Robinson on the Bayou.  

Folks, this will be a he-said, she-said in which you'll have to choose to believe what you want.  What I don't get is the folks who have seen what Jimbo Fisher and A&M are capable of in terms of hire yet still default to always 'believing the other side.' We have some on here who will voluntarily buy the Purple and Gold narrative from fans, message board fanatics and LSU insiders simply 'because.' Many of the same folks who were miserable and skeptical throughout the run towards the nation's No. 6-ranked class in the 2020 recruiting race.

That 70S Show Lol GIF by reactionseditor

This one is an all-timer, even for someone as prolific as Looch.

Edited by Beau Vine

55 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. I didn’t shit on him. I said he was a pretty meh hire. Not great, not terrible. You’re the one who said he’s been good to great everywhere he’s been except Texas. 

This cant really be your standard, can it? Show me bad RB production and recruiting at LSU at any point in the last 20 years. He gets gifted guys like Emery and Guice, who even Todd Orlando could’ve landed if he was the RB coach at LSU. As for production levels, that’s much more dependent on the OC and the overall offense. He had some good recruiting victories at USC, but Tee Martin was listed as the secondary recruiter on most of those recruitments, so it’s hard to know if Robinson landed those guys or if it was more of a Mehringer gets credit for Jake Smith kind of situation. He doesn’t appear to be much of a volume recruiter, and he’s not God’s gift to RBs as far as coaching goes. 

I’m not saying he’s horrible, but the points you bring up about LSU are not meaningful indicators as to how he’ll do elsewhere.

I’d say Drayton, a guy who many people would prefer to replace, is a decent comp but not at worst. Robinson’s had some good RBs and has a long history as a RB coach. When he’s at a school that recruits well and pays, he does pretty well, but he’s not otherwise great. 

Idk what is going on with this bloviating attempt at humor, but do you actually think Tommie Robinson is a good hire by ole Jimbo?

Oh hey, thanks for basically rehashing all the things possibilities I addressed in my post as the reasons you're contending with my post:
-LSU not being an apples to apples comparison with any other recruiting area - Check
-Tee Martin gets credit for all of his recruits at USC, Mehringer situation - Check
-Potentially not a volume recruiter - Check
-Robinson does well at a school that pays - Check

I mean I literally covered all this shit before your response. So thanks for the trip down memory lane of my own posts this morning. 

Listen, you claim you're not shitting on it, but the direct post I quoted was literally "He didn't get retained by LSU." I'm pretty sure that's saying a coach was shit at this job. Or do you want to go down the list of guys Herman just "didn't retain" that did really, really good jobs at Texas and weren't shit? Please clarify what you were implying with that post, because to me, it doesn't translate to "Ok Hire."

Let me clarify the slant I was aiming for in my original set of posts: By what metric exactly would you measure a successful position coach? He's had success at multiple schools, has recruiting victories everywhere but Texas, and has put guys in the NFL consistently. Now, there area always outliers as we've seen at the fucktards who show up pointing at Mehringer's recruiter of the year bullshit, but I mean, it sounds like you're literally saying Tommie Robinson is Drew Mehringer, and we can't evaluate the guy at any level of his job because of special circumstances. Well, okay, if that's where your head at is on this, that's fine. But by any conceivable metric Robinson has been very successful everywhere but Texas. 

And for the record, I think he'll be just okay at aTm. But at least he'll be able to point to all the guys he's sent to the NFL recently. Mark Hagen is going to walk into a recruits living room, let out a huge fucking trombone style fart that lasts 15 seconds, and then he's going to look in either direction and nod his head towards one of the kid's parents when they ask about who he's coached in the NFL. 

• Haha 1

I know for sure Robinson wasn’t well received by his own RB room. Edwards-Helaire even cussed him out during film sessions. Emery freshman season is due to Robinson and Emery himself. Emery would fall asleep during film hence why he wasn’t much active all year. But The development of those running backs came from Faulk, who I believe will be much better than Robinson. 

11 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

There's a reason Raymond - an LSU lifer - has reached out to A&M twice and it hasn't just been in an effort to get a raise.

So Looch is saying that Raymond wanted the Aggy gig twice and Jimbo turned him down for Linguist and Rushing? That's what he's going with? Because that would be quite the indictment on Jimbo. Looch, you may want to walk this one back on your podcast or one of your next threads. Yes, we know you are reading surly. (Hi Hamm!!) 

• Like 1

The word on Faulk is extremely high, thus far, and he did an extensive amount of coaching with the staff this past year, so it's pretty easy to see how Orgeron could have a good look at who he was placing his money on for the future and came up strongly in favor of Faulk. We heard his praises during the season even over here. He's young, he's had a decade plus career in the NFL with the fucking Patriots, he's born and bred in Louisiana, he starred at LSU. If he was a net positive in the RB room and doesn't suffer from Wareheim syndrome on the trail he's going to be an A++ hire for those guys. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh hey, thanks for basically rehashing all the things possibilities I addressed in my post as the reasons you're contending with my post:
-LSU not being an apples to apples comparison with any other recruiting area - Check
-Tee Martin gets credit for all of his recruits at USC, Mehringer situation - Check
-Potentially not a volume recruiter - Check
-Robinson does well at a school that pays - Check

I mean I literally covered all this shit before your response. So thanks for the trip down memory lane of my own posts this morning. 

Listen, you claim you're not shitting on it, but the direct post I quoted was literally "He didn't get retained by LSU." I'm pretty sure that's saying a coach was shit at this job. Or do you want to go down the list of guys Herman just "didn't retain" that did really, really good jobs at Texas and weren't shit? Please clarify what you were implying with that post, because to me, it doesn't translate to "Ok Hire."

Let me clarify the slant I was aiming for in my original set of posts: By what metric exactly would you measure a successful position coach? He's had success at multiple schools, has recruiting victories everywhere but Texas, and has put guys in the NFL consistently. Now, there area always outliers as we've seen at the fucktards who show up pointing at Mehringer's recruiter of the year bullshit, but I mean, it sounds like you're literally saying Tommie Robinson is Drew Mehringer, and we can't evaluate the guy at any level of his job because of special circumstances. Well, okay, if that's where your head at is on this, that's fine. But by any conceivable metric Robinson has been very successful everywhere but Texas. 

And for the record, I think he'll be just okay at aTm. But at least he'll be able to point to all the guys he's sent to the NFL recently. Mark Hagen is going to walk into a recruits living room, let out a huge fucking trombone style fart that lasts 15 seconds, and then he's going to look in either direction and nod his head towards one of the kid's parents when they ask about who he's coached in the NFL. 

Tl;dr. And I don’t really care about this topic enough. I think he’s fine. Not great, not terrible. Saying he was going to be retained, which is true, isn’t shitting on him. It’s merry stating a fact. 

I never said he was like Mehringer; that’s just a straw man you created to try to dig yourself out of the pit of word vomit you’re currently rolling around in.