Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

43 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

11:11p, 2/24/20 

Staff

AG

Feel however you want about the hire but if you choose to believe everything coming out of Baton Rouge then that's your prerogative.  

I've maintained all along that Ed O isn't the easiest head coach to work for and stand by that. There's a reason Raymond - an LSU lifer - has reached out to A&M twice and it hasn't just been in an effort to get a raise. Same with Aranda jumping into the mix before Fisher closed out Elko at Notre Dame.

So you can believe that LSU was so fired up about promoting Kevin Faulk, an LSU legend but one who has never been on the recruiting trail or been a college position coach, that they 'pushed Robinson out' or you can believe that Tommie was looking around, which was why he at one point appeared South Carolina-bound and ultimately landed at A&M. Muschamp was hoping he could make the hire but the Gamecocks were unable to close. And rumor out of Baton Rouge is that Orgeron actually did try to counter-offer the Ags in the last couple of days but it wasn't enough to keep Robinson on the Bayou.  

Folks, this will be a he-said, she-said in which you'll have to choose to believe what you want. What I don't get is the folks who have seen what Jimbo Fisher and A&M are capable of in terms of hire yet still default to always 'believing the other side.' We have some on here who will voluntarily buy the Purple and Gold narrative from fans, message board fanatics and LSU insiders simply 'because.' Many of the same folks who were miserable and skeptical throughout the run towards the nation's No. 6-ranked class in the 2020 recruiting race.

All that really matters is whether or not Fisher and the Aggies landed a damn good position coach and recruiter and Robinson's resume screams as much. He could absolutely turn out to be an upgrade on the recruiting front and his development of Clyde Edwards-Helaire was very impressive, as was turning Nick Brossette into a 1,000-yard rusher in the SEC in 2018. Fisher considered no fewer than three current SEC assistants (including the eventual hire) and a prominent NFL assistant looking to get back to the college game before making his choice. All four would have likely taken the job and the options were impressive so quite a bit went into the decision.

As I said earlier today, what Fisher did in terms of upgrading his entire staff with the four new additions was really damn impressive. He was patient and went out and made hires from LSU, Florida State and Georgia (x2) and brought back a young linebackers coach hand-picked by his defensive coordinator and being groomed as a future Power 5 DC.  

Fisher knocked it out of the park this go-round and you're about to see the impact on the 2021 recruiting front prior to the upcoming season...with Tommie Robinson playing a key role, LSU stans be damned.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Tl;dr. And I don’t really care about this topic enough. I think he’s fine. Not great, not terrible. Saying he was going to be retained, which is true, isn’t shitting on him. It’s merry stating a fact. 

I never said he was like Mehringer; that’s just a straw man you created to try to dig yourself out of the pit of word vomit you’re currently rolling around in.  

Come again?

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. I didn’t shit on him. I said he was a pretty meh hire. Not great, not terrible. You’re the one who said he’s been good to great everywhere he’s been except Texas. 

This cant really be your standard, can it? Show me bad RB production and recruiting at LSU at any point in the last 20 years. He gets gifted guys like Emery and Guice, who even Todd Orlando could’ve landed if he was the RB coach at LSU. As for production levels, that’s much more dependent on the OC and the overall offense. He had some good recruiting victories at USC, but Tee Martin was listed as the secondary recruiter on most of those recruitments, so it’s hard to know if Robinson landed those guys or if it was more of a Mehringer gets credit for Jake Smith kind of situation. He doesn’t appear to be much of a volume recruiter, and he’s not God’s gift to RBs as far as coaching goes. 

"I never said getting fired was saying he sucks, I merely brought up that he was fired and heavily implied that this is indicative he isn't a good hire elsewhere"
"I never said he was like  Mehringer, I just pointed out a better recruiter was the secondary on all his best recruits at USC, and then I attached him to Drew Mehringer and Jake Smith because they had similar situations at Texas. But Who knows, right?"

Ok guy. It's not a straw man I created, it's a dynamic I identified and that you were happy to take and run with. It's fine, we're close enough to the same page here that as you said, it doesn't warrant more time.  

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Idk what is going on with this bloviating attempt at humor, but do you actually think Tommie Robinson is a good hire by ole Jimbo?

Hahahaha. What the fuck? I was entertained by my post, at least. You calling anyone else "bloviating" is high comedy as well. And no, I don't think it was a good hire. I have no convictions regarding it though, so if you or Sydney or whomever wants to tell me I'm wrong about that, have at it, but I don't have the energy. I saw a chance to do ridiculous names for two coaches that I enjoy doing that with, and so I did.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Hahahaha. What the fuck? I was entertained by my post, at least. You calling anyone else "bloviating" is high comedy as well. And no, I don't think it was a good hire. I have no convictions regarding it though, so if you or Sydney or whomever wants to tell me I'm wrong about that, have at it, but I don't have the energy. I saw a chance to do ridiculous names for two coaches that I enjoy doing that with, and so I did.

I said that except for his time at Texas, Robinson has been successful by every metric by which people usually measure success as a RB coach: He sticks guys in the NFL and he recruits well. That's about as far as I was willing to go on the matter. Apparently Macklin demands more nuance be associated with this hire while proclaiming he's not passionate enough about the subject to continue. 

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I said that except for his time at Texas, Robinson has been successful by every metric by which people usually measure success as a RB coach: He sticks guys in the NFL and he recruits well. That's about as far as I was willing to go on the matter. Apparently Macklin demands more nuance be associated with this hire while proclaiming he's not passionate enough about the subject to continue. 

You have like 7 posts on this boring subject now. Macklin does as well. Neither of you clowns can show up and continue to say "That's about as far as I was willing to go on the matter". No, you were willing to apparently go so far into it that you're going to temporarily choke this thread over it. Now you'll have to respond with more. And Macklin will attempt to fly in over the top of you. And then the rest of us will collectively find other shit to do for a bit while you rubes spin yourself out for another page on this thread. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You have like 7 posts on this boring subject now. Macklin does as well. Neither of you clowns can show up and continue to say "That's about as far as I was willing to go on the matter". No, you were willing to apparently go so far into it that you're going to temporarily choke this thread over it. Now you'll have to respond with more. And Macklin will attempt to fly in over the top of you. And then the rest of us will collectively find other shit to do for a bit while you rubes spin yourself out for another page on this thread. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, golfclap said:

So Looch is saying that Raymond wanted the Aggy gig twice and Jimbo turned him down for Linguist and Rushing? That's what he's going with? Because that would be quite the indictment on Jimbo. Looch, you may want to walk this one back on your podcast or one of your next threads. Yes, we know you are reading surly. (Hi Hamm!!) 

That's what it sounds like. Not sure how he reconciles the fact that Jimbo grossly overpaid for Rushing. I can't keep up with the TexAggy spin. 

"Corey Raymond turned us down so I'm going to offer $675K to a guy that doesn't have anywhere near the resume or track record Raymond has"

Yeah.....still not following.

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

As a tree advocate and volunteer, anything that brings more tree canopy to College Station has my support. If they're lucky the trees will be large with enough canopy to cover up some of the atrocious architecture from at least some of the lines of sight/viewsheds.

The overflow from the undoubtedly leaky retaining pond should be sufficient to grow some decent pecan trees, if they're forward thinking. So it'll probably be yaupon.

• Haha 1

in most such matters, i have come to conclude that at the end of the proverbial day, let the actions/results do the talking; everything else is spin and will be worthless.  If Robinson is a good hire that will show up in recruiting and in on-field production or any other objective measure of a coach's worth.  and actions will be needed pretty quickly in that thin RB room. so, we shall see.

• Like 1

The sexual tension between you three is palpable.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

So you can believe that LSU was so fired up about promoting Kevin Faulk, an LSU legend but one who has never been on the recruiting trail or been a college position coach, that they 'pushed Robinson out' or you can believe that Tommie was looking around, which was why he at one point appeared South Carolina-bound and ultimately landed at A&M

I think this narrative would be easier to push for Chin Pubes if LSU didn't wait all of 5 seconds to announce Robinson's replacement. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The sexual tension between you three is palpable.

"What's the matter with you! ... Now don't you three see ... that you're in love with one another?! Why can't you fix that already?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2020 at 10:34 AM, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

11:11p, 2/24/20 

Staff

AG

Feel however you want about the hire but if you choose to believe everything coming out of Baton Rouge then that's your prerogative.  

I've maintained all along that Ed O isn't the easiest head coach to work for and stand by that. There's a reason Raymond - an LSU lifer - has reached out to A&M twice and it hasn't just been in an effort to get a raise. Same with Aranda jumping into the mix before Fisher closed out Elko at Notre Dame.

So you can believe that LSU was so fired up about promoting Kevin Faulk, an LSU legend but one who has never been on the recruiting trail or been a college position coach, that they 'pushed Robinson out' or you can believe that Tommie was looking around, which was why he at one point appeared South Carolina-bound and ultimately landed at A&M. Muschamp was hoping he could make the hire but the Gamecocks were unable to close. And rumor out of Baton Rouge is that Orgeron actually did try to counter-offer the Ags in the last couple of days but it wasn't enough to keep Robinson on the Bayou.  

Folks, this will be a he-said, she-said in which you'll have to choose to believe what you want. What I don't get is the folks who have seen what Jimbo Fisher and A&M are capable of in terms of hire yet still default to always 'believing the other side.' We have some on here who will voluntarily buy the Purple and Gold narrative from fans, message board fanatics and LSU insiders simply 'because.' Many of the same folks who were miserable and skeptical throughout the run towards the nation's No. 6-ranked class in the 2020 recruiting race.

All that really matters is whether or not Fisher and the Aggies landed a damn good position coach and recruiter and Robinson's resume screams as much. He could absolutely turn out to be an upgrade on the recruiting front and his development of Clyde Edwards-Helaire was very impressive, as was turning Nick Brossette into a 1,000-yard rusher in the SEC in 2018. Fisher considered no fewer than three current SEC assistants (including the eventual hire) and a prominent NFL assistant looking to get back to the college game before making his choice. All four would have likely taken the job and the options were impressive so quite a bit went into the decision.

As I said earlier today, what Fisher did in terms of upgrading his entire staff with the four new additions was really damn impressive. He was patient and went out and made hires from LSU, Florida State and Georgia (x2) and brought back a young linebackers coach hand-picked by his defensive coordinator and being groomed as a future Power 5 DC.  

Fisher knocked it out of the park this go-round and you're about to see the impact on the 2021 recruiting front prior to the upcoming season...with Tommie Robinson playing a key role, LSU stans be damned.

He said “damn” a lot.

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Like every Brooklyn softboi trying to write powerful thinkpieces on neofeminism in the Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe, Looch thinks sprinkling in a bunch of swears will make him sound tough and authoritative.

Same reason both of them love terrible facial hair.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

He said “damn” a lot.

Fisher and the Aggies landed a damn good position coach...what Fisher did in terms of upgrading his entire staff with the four new additions was really damn impressive...

I'm imagining a group of rednecks standing around in a circle spitting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Saw an article already projecting bowl games for next season.  Had USC vs aggy in the Las Vegas Bowl (apparently it's now a PAC 12 vs SEC/Big10 game).  Anyways, would be hilarious to see Orlando against one of the few remaining pro-style/stone aged offenses and shut Jimbo down (again).

Wait, the media isn't buying into their pampers schedule next year?  I thought it was the year the stars aligned and they made the playoffs or one of the New Years bowls.  Now I'm reading the stars align and they make the Las Vegas Bowl? That's a hell of a new bend in their ever growing, cliff dropping coaster ride.  Will there be any survivors this crash or will they be able to bail out in time to point to 2022?

3 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Wait, the media isn't buying into their pampers schedule next year?  I thought it was the year the stars aligned and they made the playoffs or one of the New Years bowls.  Now I'm reading the stars align and they make the Las Vegas Bowl? That's a hell of a new bend in their ever growing, cliff dropping coaster ride.  Will there be any survivors this crash or will they be able to bail out in time to point to 2022?

You underestimate them. By this time next year, they will be talking about losing the dead weight at qb formerly known as heismond, and that red shirt freshman Haynes king will lead them to the promised land with their equally flimsy schedule. Johnny was a rs freshman yada yada. 
this will be poured on extra thick if jimbo pulls mond for king at any point this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You underestimate them. By this time next year, they will be talking about losing the dead weight at qb formerly known as heismond, and that red shirt freshman Haynes king will lead them to the promised land with their equally flimsy schedule. Johnny was a rs freshman yada yada. 
this will be poured on extra thick if jimbo pulls mond for king at any point this season. 

Let's go ahead and get the Haynesmond nickname started.  We can deal with the Stowers anointment later. 

32 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Jimbo's transition class is really bad. I mean awful. Outside of Bobby Brown do they even have another contributor? That class will eventually bite them in the ass. 

no shit. I mean, Brown is bad but I guess he's on the field... that class is ROUGH. who is even left that could actually contribute? 

Aggy247 is on it. 

Aggy2018-Class-Stepup.png

charlie murphy GIF

• Like 2

Lol

Spoiler

Liucci

5:59p 

Staff

AG

I consider this one a loss for the Aggies but not necessarily something that will qualify as a shock to Jimbo Fisher, Mike Elko or those inside the program.

The talented and outspoken junior-to-be had a relatively rocky sophomore season that saw him start several games and total 41 tackles and an interception. He was showing signs of improvement in year two but seemed to struggle manning the back end in Elko's defense, particularly against the better passing teams and receivers on the A&M schedule. That combined with Leon landing in the doghouse and voicing his frustration more than once, including in the post-game locker room following Auburn and again during bowl practices, had many close to the program and close to O'Neal himself wondering if the once ballyhooed recruit would consider a transfer during the off-season. The fact he decided to make the decision today - in the middle of the Ags conducting their 'Fourth Quarter Drills' is also something that caught my attention when he announced the news on twitter.

O'Neal really does love TAMU and the Aggie fans and he's a guy who does wear his heart on his sleeve. I don't expect him to change his mind but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility and I also don't think Fisher or Elko would close the door on him if he reconsidered so let's keep this thread from going off the rails. Along those lines, for what it's worth, he's wasn't even officially in the transfer portal as of 5:45 p.m. today, only having announced his intentions via tweet.

As far as where he fit into the picture for the Aggies, the junior was going to be part of a very competitive spring battle at safety, where Demani Richardson is considered one of the better players on the Aggie defense after an impressive true freshman campaign, senior Keldrick Carper is a reliable presence on the back end and former national-100 recruit Brian Williams is looking to break through after seeing spot duty as a true freshman last fall. Combine that with two uber-talented newcomers - true freshman and early enrollee Antonio Johnson and converted corner Erick Young - turning heads throughout the young off-season and there's no denying the fact that Leon was going to have to fight hard for a job this spring with nothing at all guaranteed so on some level this might be as simple as him finding a better situation for himself moving forward.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Lol

Hide contents

Liucci

5:59p 

Staff

AG

I consider this one a loss for the Aggies but not necessarily something that will qualify as a shock to Jimbo Fisher, Mike Elko or those inside the program.

The talented and outspoken junior-to-be had a relatively rocky sophomore season that saw him start several games and total 41 tackles and an interception. He was showing signs of improvement in year two but seemed to struggle manning the back end in Elko's defense, particularly against the better passing teams and receivers on the A&M schedule. That combined with Leon landing in the doghouse and voicing his frustration more than once, including in the post-game locker room following Auburn and again during bowl practices, had many close to the program and close to O'Neal himself wondering if the once ballyhooed recruit would consider a transfer during the off-season. The fact he decided to make the decision today - in the middle of the Ags conducting their 'Fourth Quarter Drills' is also something that caught my attention when he announced the news on twitter.

O'Neal really does love TAMU and the Aggie fans and he's a guy who does wear his heart on his sleeve. I don't expect him to change his mind but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility and I also don't think Fisher or Elko would close the door on him if he reconsidered so let's keep this thread from going off the rails. Along those lines, for what it's worth, he's wasn't even officially in the transfer portal as of 5:45 p.m. today, only having announced his intentions via tweet.

As far as where he fit into the picture for the Aggies, the junior was going to be part of a very competitive spring battle at safety, where Demani Richardson is considered one of the better players on the Aggie defense after an impressive true freshman campaign, senior Keldrick Carper is a reliable presence on the back end and former national-100 recruit Brian Williams is looking to break through after seeing spot duty as a true freshman last fall. Combine that with two uber-talented newcomers - true freshman and early enrollee Antonio Johnson and converted corner Erick Young - turning heads throughout the young off-season and there's no denying the fact that Leon was going to have to fight hard for a job this spring with nothing at all guaranteed so on some level this might be as simple as him finding a better situation for himself moving forward.

he's wasn't even officially in the transfer portal as of 5:45 p.m. today,

Really likes to drag his feet in all aspects.

Edited by Redneck Mutha
  • Like 3