Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

According to Dandy Don and texlarry, it's anyone's guess at this point.

Spoiler

Liucci

11:22p, 3/16/20 

Staff

AG

Quote:

Talk of spring game canceled?

Okay, so with everything that went on, some of these will be outdated so I'll do another one early this week where we keep the focus on what all of these cancellations might mean and what the fallout will be (unless I roll through this thread and realize I can still address it all).

Obviously, the spring game has been canceled, and I don't think there's any way in hell teams are going to be able to conduct spring football around the country. So the next step is trying to figure out what the NCAA does in the way of a correction. From talking to some folks on the CFB coaching and administrative side (and there isn't anything close to an answer at this point), it sounds like possibilities could include teams starting fall camp a week to ten days early (which would be tough because camp is such a grind) or maybe giving teams that didn't have spring ball two weeks to actually conduct football work with coaches present during June and July - maybe something like practices without pads or helmets and shoulder pads only. I really don't think they'll just force everyone to start camp on the originally scheduled date without some changes. Obviously, teams that got a week or two in would have less 'days' than those that didn't. It really shouldn't be that hard to work out, but you can bet college coaches all over the country are going to cite the 'lack of spring practices' as a drawback throughout the 2020 season.

Quote:

Thoughts on XFL?

I took only a token interest in it but did like what they had going. Kind of a cottage industry type thing that seemed to be developing a small, fun and passionate fan base. There are so many deflating stories across sports when it comes to seasons ending so abruptly at the pro and college level (and especially the examples of college careers coming to a halt), but the XFL thing is tough too. The league was off to an encouraging little start and then it was over just like that. I think it has some staying power. Nothing game-changing, but we finally may have a spring league that might last and give guys who can't quite make it to the NFL a chance to play football.

Quote:

Brauny story?

Heading back from a Houston recruiting trip a day early and basically telling me it was because he got bit by a spider takes the cake so far. Or the time he ordered fifteen chicken thighs for lunch at J. Cody's and wiped the place out.

Quote:

Pot roast or chicken pot pie?

It depends on how good the pot roast is. The vegetables and roast have to fall apart when your fork hits it. Chicken pot pies when done right are amazing, though. But NO mushrooms in the pie!!!

Quote:

Seriously though, how has this currently affected recruiting, not only here but across college football?

Across college football, the fallout will be pretty significant. In fact, I think it's going to impact recruiting as much as anything else in football. Well, that and how about the offseason training for S&C coaches like Jerry Schmidt? Sure, players will stay in shape and work out, but what if gyms starting shutting down? You may lose as much as 1/3 of your offseason. The mid-term enrollees are going to be hurt the most by all of this, and the Ags have a dozen of them. Back to recruiting: you're seeing all of the big events by Rivals, UA, etc. getting pushed back. Obviously there won't be a spring evaluation period this year, either. Camps will be more important than ever, but what about all of the kids who were planning to commit in the spring? Or the ones who wanted to use up some of their visits? What about the Ags who have done a great deal of OOS recruiting and working to get guys to travel to CS in the spring? There are so many questions and very few answers at this time. My personal solution won't be popular, but I believe they should make summer officials available, and if not, then scrap the Early Signing Period for just this year and go back to a traditional February date. Just for this year and then back to the December signing stretch. The window is simply going to be too small to fit everything into...especially with coaches trying to make up for the lack of spring ball.

Quote:

Best guess for spring newcomer MVP?

Had they conducted spring, I would have gone with Jaylon Jones, with Isaiah Raikes as my sleeper. The lack of spring is a pretty tough blow for guys like Jones and Chris Morris, who I think could have and may still fight their way into the starting lineup as true fish. It's a particularly tough setback for Morris, who will need plenty of padded reps against a legitimate SEC d-line like the one Mike Elko would have fielded this spring.

Quote:

Leon transfer update?

Nothing new. If he decides to stick it out, I think he and Jimbo and Elko are going to have to sit down and discuss how badly he really wants to be here. This didn't just happen out of nowhere, as Leon had been a guy I'd consider 'teetering on the edge' of a transfer since about the Auburn game and definitely during bowl practices. That said, he does love being an Aggie, and he was giving plenty of indications that he was possibly going to stick it out before the sports world (and the world in general) was turned upside down last week. The fact he never entered the portal is telling because as soon as an athlete enters the portal, the head coach has the ability to cut said player's scholly.

Quote:

Best guess: How many commitments before summer (June 1st)?

No freaking clue now, but when you asked me this last week, my answer would have been that these were the guys I felt the Ags had the best shot to close in the spring: Reuben FathereeMarcus BurrisDeuce Harmon and maybe even someone like Landon Jackson or Shemar Turner.

Quote:

How is RJ Orebo progressing?

Size-wise he's really filling out and coming into his own. He was hurt two weeks ago when he watched 4th Quarter drills so I was bummed I didn't get to see how he was moving. IMO, he's still a year out from being a steady contributor, which was expected when the Ags took him. He was a long-term project with upside.

Quote:

Bernie, Biden and Warren: Kill, Party, Date

I don't want to play this game because I hate all the answers in ANY combination. I guess Biden would be fun to party with because I feel like I could easily bait him into getting punched out by someone at a local bar. Warren is the only female of the bunch so I guess I'm dating her. Poor Bernie is the odd man out, I guess.

Quote:

What changes do you expect to see in our offense this coming season? What specifically does Coley add/bring to our offense? Thanks!

I don't think there's necessarily a Coley specialty, but I do think that adding a guy who has worked for Jimbo and knows his offense backward and forward was important, particularly with Jay Graham leaving. There needs to be at least some degree of extensive familiarity there, and you have it with Coley, Craig and Dickey. He's also been an OC at a couple of major programs, so it's definitely an experience upgrade and add a lot of knowledge to the room. As far as offensive changes go, I'm 100% convinced that Jimbo entered this offseason looking to upgrade the unit by changing things up a bit, and going with more two-back looks might be a start, as will probably playing a little more up-tempo and throwing the ball deep down the field more often. In order to do so, he'll have to get better OL play first. I also think that giving Kellen the ability to get the ball out of his hands quicker to the electric skill guys in space might be something we see more of. I know that may sound contradictory, but there is plenty of room to do both.

Quote:

How much toilet paper have you purchased this week

Being the hypochondriac that I am, I hit the grocery stores a week or so early. I really have been following this pretty closely since December. This kind of stuff along with the weather and global military conflicts have always intrigued me.

Quote:

Making our first trip to Tuscaloosa this season. Outside of watching an Aggie victory, what are your top three "can't miss" things to do while we're there?

I'm not sure there are many 'can't miss' things to do in T-Town, but I would say their nightlife was pretty fun. If the Ags score the upset, go to Gilette's (sp?) and drink a few Yellow Hammers. One of my favorite times after an A&M win was going out after the 2012 win and running into Ross Stripling and Michael Wacha. To say we had a memorable celebration would be an understatement.

Quote:

Will the football recruiting class of 2021 be higher ranked than 2020?

Remains to be seen. I think it has the potential to be, and I think the '22 class (after the Ags' upcoming season and recruiting momentum built on that) will be the best Jimbo will have signed in four full cycles at A&M. I think when the dust settles, the '21 class will look a lot like the '20 group in terms of rankings. The Ags are going to have to come out of the chutes when things open up and build momentum quickly, which I expect they will.

Quote:

Which 5 stars (currently ranked) do you bet A&M lands this year? Football/Basketball

Bryce Foster could fall any of several ways, but the Ags certainly have a great shot. LJ Johnson Jr could ultimately climb into this category, and I'd be willing to wager quite a bit that Jimbo and Tommie Robinson make a strong move there. I honestly don't think there are going to be more than three or four five-stars in this year's Texas crop when the dust settles on the composite rankings, and one of those is a Texas lock in Tommy Brockermeyer. The one I'm going to keep a close eye on from now until Signing Day if the Ags have a big season on the field (10-plus regular-season wins) is Donovan Jackson. The Ags won't back off in their pursuit and plan to remain engaged in the long haul. As far as the OOS guys go, that's always a longer, down-the-road play, but Tony Grimes and Terrence Lewis are realistic shots, as is Monkell Goodwine, who I think will climb his way into being a borderline five-star talent.

Quote:

WIll any SEC football coach be fired this football season, and if so who?

When was the last time the SEC kept things status quo? I think we could see a couple of changes in the East following this season at South Carolina and Vandy.

Quote:

Any spring buzz regarding the RS fish?

The guys I'm hearing most about are Jaylon Jones, Haynes King, Antonio Johnson, Moose Muhammad, Chris Morris and Josh Bankhead. Isaiah Raikes has also created quite a bit of buzz during Fourth Quarter Drills. Fadil Diggs is going to be pretty damn good early in his career as well. I'd say Haynes, Jones and Moose have generated the most chatter.

Quote:

What extra precautions will you take in the Texags studio due to the coronavirus?

We've got a laundry list of things we'll be doing, including some moves toward 'personalized' equipment. TexAgs Radio will go on but bear with us if we've putting some space between ourselves on the desk and not sitting side by side haha. We're also fortunate in that so many within our company have the option to work from home if need be so you guys won't notice much difference during a time when I know you're all going to probably be spending extra time on the site in hopes of finding desired distractions. We're taking everything very seriously over at TA (obviously), but we are also taking great pride in keeping the content coming even with the extended offseason.

Quote:

Max wright update? I wanted this kid to be a mini JJ Watt when he got here, but I heard he's changing positions?

He's just suffered quite a bit of unfortunate luck in terms of injuries. He made the move to fullback/h-back, but I think the first order of business is remaining healthy for a significant period of time. He's a ballplayer, plain and simple, so if he can stay on the practice field and play on Saturdays, he's going to be good, no matter the position.

Quote:

Is Kellen Mond as far as you would have thought after 2 years under Jimbo?

Yes. The LSU/Oklahoma State games weren't good for him as a passer, but he did figure out a way to win Texas Bowl MVP, was really good in the second half against a great Georgia defense in Athens and has figured it out however he had to against the teams the Aggies are 'supposed' to beat (Ole Miss, Arky and South Carolina x2, Miss State this year, Oklahoma State and NC State the past two years). Do I think he needs more help in the way of blocking and (more specifically) a running game? Yep. Do I think he needs to show significant improvement as a senior and as a passer/playmaker for the Ags to make the 2020 season a memorable one? Definitely. I also believe there's no reason to think that his senior season won't be his best in the Maroon & White. It's his third in Jimbo Fisher's offense and his third (and a half) trip through the SEC schedule. He also doesn't face Georgia or Clemson this time around, and even the Auburn defense suffered heavy, heavy losses. If this isn't his best season, that's disappointing. If it is, then the Aggies could very well land in a NY6 bowl and Mond will contend for First- or Second-Team All-SEC honors.

Quote:

Somebody is going to ask him about He Whom Must Not Be Named, yes?

Nah. Zach Evans news seems to be on hold for the time being, and I don't see any possible way he's an Aggie unless one of the signees doesn't get into school and he's still on the market when July or August rolls around. Incredibly unlikely on both fronts.

Quote:

What is one position on the football team that could have a surprise starter? Someone out of the blue to fans.

Well, wide receiver is wide open, but I think one place where you could see it is in the secondary. Of course, that wouldn't be a total surprise. Not sure where you'd be surprised to see a new or surprise starter, to be honest. Maybe if McKinnley Jackson or Isaiah Raikes somehow broke through on the inside or one of the seniors saw their playing time cut into at linebacker? Those would be surprises but I really don't expect we'll see it.

Quote:

Any position changes of interest?

Nothing of note just yet. I hadn't heard of anything too interesting on that front prior to spring ball, but I do think eventually you could see the OL get shored up if there's an option once the defensive line depth shakes itself out. That's just me thinking and evaluating the roster, nothing more.

Quote:

It's interesting how many former players we see or hear about who have gone into the coaching profession. If you could pick one or two guys off of the current roster who would excel in that profession, who would it be?

Great question, and I think within two seasons, both Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn will be NFL head coaches. Dennis Allen probably gets another shot at it as well.

Quote:

What true freshman do you see playing the most this fall? Who would be your 2020 Ainias Smith be? Thanks for doing this. Gig' Em

Not having spring ball and a shortened off-season will make it tougher for all of the true fish, but I'd say Jaylon Jones and Chris Morris are the most likely, followed closely by Demond Demas and Devon Achane in the return game. As for surprises like Ainias Smith (to some), I might say either Moose Muhammad, Isaiah Raikes or Antonio Johnson.

Quote:

If Jimbos' trend of recruiting and development continues, what's your view of an approximate time frame when we'll play for the SEC championship? Not meant as a trap question where "Billy said we'd be in the SEC title game in X years and it didn't happen, therefore TexAgs stinks".... just looking for your best guess. Thanks.

It could be this year. I don't know if they're quite going to be ready to run that gauntlet, but I've said before that I think the Ags next starting QB will win an SEC title and perhaps a national championship in College Station. In other words, I think the Ags reach the playoff either as a darkhorse this year or (more likely) in '21 or '22. It's building towards it, folks. But there is an interesting window of opportunity this coming fall.

Quote:

Knowing Jimbo's teams typically get better over the course of a season, how dominant do you expect the 2020 team to be early in the schedule?

I don't expect this group to necessarily be dominant early in the season, but I expect they will win and keep winning heading into Auburn. If this team improves throughout the year as Jimbo's teams have done dating back to FSU, I think they could be pretty damned formidable by the time November rolls around with games against Auburn and South Carolina on the road, then Ole Miss and then to close it out with Bama and LSU. Navigate some tricky and tougher-than-you-think tests early and hit your stride late and things could get pretty damn interesting in Aggieland.

Quote:

What are you hearing about the progress of Buddy Johnson and Anthony Hines?

First off, they're both in tremendous shape and have had strong offseasons. About what you'd expect from a pair of seniors and returning starters. I think Hines and Johnson could both take a big leap this year, which is the beauty of having senior returning starters like those two, Clemons and Myles Jones available plus experienced seniors like Jayden Peevy, Keldrick Carper and Josh Rogers.

Quote:

Who do you think will start on the offensive line on day one of spring practice?

Had there been a spring, it probably would have been Carson Green and Dan Moore at tackle and Jared Hocker and Kenyon Green at guard. At center, I bet it would have started out with Ryan McCollum with Luke Matthews also factoring heavily in the mix. I had a feeling this was going to be a big spring for Layden Robinson as well.

Quote:

Are you going to have all the TexAgs staff work from home?

Not all, but we've been doing a lot more from home and we continue to adapt. This is actually going to result in more ideas and even cooler content (which was something I was already angling towards). We had an exciting conference call about all of it today. Everyone is pretty fired up and has so many great ideas.

Quote:

Leal will be starter. Is he a starter at SDE or Defensive Tackle?

I think he'll move around quite a bit but will probably start most games at end and then move around from there.

Quote:

Your thoughts on the recently announced changes in leadership/structure in the AD department?

Love it. First off, Ross Bjork is an outstanding leader, and he has a very specific plan and direction he wants to see the department go. Nothing he does comes without careful consideration. Justin Moore will be an AD in very short order, and it won't be long before he's running a P5 program. I could not be more impressed with what I've seen so far and gotten to know from Michael Thompson. This is a very strong team that Ross has put together and they've been doing a good job for a while now. A&M really hit the jackpot when they tabbed Bjork to replace Scott Woodward. Totally different styles, but it's rare you're going to make successive hires as good as those two.

Quote:

Your proposals to pack Reed next year?

Just keep building the fan base, winning and improving and I think some changes would help. Put the students closer to the action, maybe eliminate some of the seats up top and add some luxury suites eventually. Reed just doesn't need to be as big as it is. Texas A&M basketball doesn't need to play in a 12 or 13K seat arena, IMO.

Quote:

What is the current projected starting OL for this fall?

See above. I don't think that changes unless Chris Morris forces his way into the starting lineup as a true fish (which is entirely possible, mind you).

Quote:

Scientists in Wuhan claim that the coronavirus can be spread by passing gas (source). Assuming this is the case, which TexAgs staffer would most likely transmit the coronavirus to someone else through their flatulence?

This is a question I frankly do not want to know the answer to (nor do I want to speculate), but Brauny and Donny come immediately to mind.

Quote:

Do you like salsa? I created this recipe, and it's very easy to make. It tastes great and my video explains how to make it at the heat level of your choice, all the from "come on, man" to "sucking on a blowtorch."

I do like good salsa. I'll have to check it out...especially now that we won't be going out to eat much! I make a mean breakfast taco over here so the right salsa will set it off.

Quote:

Who's your sleeper pick for breakout player on offense & defense this year?

Sleeper picks? Offense: Caleb Chapman or Cam Buckley. Defense: Adarious Jones or Derick Hunter or Andre White.

Quote:

Which new coach excites you the most?

I'm pretty fired up about seeing what James Coley can do on the recruiting trail and think he's an important addition to the offensive staff room. Really though, I'm pretty fired up about all of the new additions and have said several times that I think this will be Jimbo Fisher's best staff he's had in College Station and possibly even most if not all of his FSU groups.

Quote:

Which unit on defense are you most confident in?

The defensive line. But I'm very comfortable with the linebackers as well. And I think the secondary will be the most improved position on the team for the second straight season. But up front, you have Leal, Peevy and Brown available on the inside plus a senior in Clemons and Tyree Johnson who closed the year in style at the bowl game. Throw in vets like Josh Rogers and Jeremiah Martin plus talented young returnees like Derick Hunter and Adarious Jones plus mid-term signees Isaiah Raikes, Fadil Diggs and Braedon Mowry and then Dallas Walker and freaking Donell Harris and McKinnley Jackson. What a deep, talented group that features a little bit of everything. As good a collection of d-linemen I've seen on campus in a long while.

Quote:

Do you know if Mond plans any special QB training this summer.....something other than Jimbo?

He actually told me at the Kentucky hoops game that he was planning to go somewhere this summer but he wasn't sure with who yet. He had a couple of the most respected guys in the country in mind and was thinking about mixing things up and training with someone he hadn't ever trained with this time around just for a different set of eyes and ears. Obviously, we'll have to see how everything plays out in terms of whether or not he'll have the time to do so.

Quote:

Which recruiting class finishes with a higher ranking for 2021, basketball or football?

Tough one. I actually think they'll land just about the same - somewhere in the 4-7 range nationally. Jimbo's track record speaks for itself with literally every class he's put together ranking in the national top-6 save one. As for Buzz, he's off to an incredible start with the two elite guards committed and is hoping to ride that momentum to adding another couple of big names to what is likely to be a star-studded 2021 haul, including the ongoing pursuit of five-star wing Harrison Ingram of Dallas St. Mark's. Again, I could see both landing in that 4-7 range when the dust settles.

Quote:

Who will lead the team in receiving yards this upcoming season?

I'll stick with Jhamon leading the team for the second year in a row. He's a senior, this will be his fourth time through the SEC gauntlet and (for the most part) he really did enjoy a breakout junior season. He's going to work as hard or harder than anyone on the roster, he understands the offense and what defenses are trying to do in terms of coverage and has the full confidence of his quarterback. After that, there are a litany of options, which is a good problem for Dameyune Craig to have, but spring ball sure would have come in handy here.

Quote:

I thought I read recently that the BIG TV revenue has or will surpass the SEC. If so, would the disparity be enough for them to take over the SEC as best conference?

That's only the case because the TV contracts don't renew at the same time. The SEC will soon reclaim the top spot when what was the CBS deal is renegotiated (it will be ESPN and it will probably mean as much as $10-12 million per year per team if I'm not mistaken). The SEC is still king. Believe it.

Quote:

Doesn't the "no fans" thing work in our favor since our guys will be used to it?

I do wonder what kind of run the basketball team could have gone on in Nashville. Obviously, they'd beaten Mizzou twice and Auburn at their house, so while they certainly could have been one-and-done against an improved Missouri squad, I think they also could have fought their way into the semifinals somehow. I don't know what, but I wasn't going to be shocked if they went on the kind of run Auburn did a few years ago when they knocked off the Ags' Sweet Sixteen team and then blew through to the tourney finals. For some reason - probably recent momentum - it felt like they had at least a couple of wins in them.

Quote:

Between basketball and football, which team's future are you most excited about over the next few years?

I think the future is equally bright in both, but the path to the top in the SEC is a little less littered with roadblocks in hoops. However, if you win an SEC title in football, you're all but guaranteed a 'Final Four' berth on the gridiron, and I believe Jimbo will get the Ags there.

Quote:

Do you have toilet paper?

That I have. What I should have stocked up on more of is probably frozen pizzas. Bought too much healthy stuff that I know I'll quickly tire of.

Quote:

Best Mike Leach quote?

Gotta be fat little girlfriends, doesn't it?

Quote:

Is it time for Johnny statue....if not when?

I think it's time. I just don't understand what the wait is for when you have OU already doing one for Baker Mayfield in Norman. I think a five year or so delay is reasonable, but we're now entering Year Six post-Manziel, so it's time to get the process going and get it done. He's an Aggie legend and deserving. Period. End of story.

Quote:

I thought Peveto was doing a great job. Where did he end up.? I have complete trust in Jimbo.

He hasn't landed anywhere but I agree, he did a good job in upgrading the position and getting his guys to play well over the past two years. I also think Tyler Santucci is going to be a tremendous fit for Mike Elko in terms of knowing and understanding his scheme and believe he's a rising star on the recruiting trail.

Quote:

Start one, bench one, cut one:
1. Trevor Lawrence
2. Justin Fields
3. Kellen Mond

That's a really loaded question, as you're essentially asking me "Is Kellen Mond as good as the two top returning quarterbacks in college football?" Should've gone with Mond, Ehlinger and Nix. Or Mond, Nix, Trask. Or Costello, Newman, Franks.

Quote:

Do you have enough toilet paper for the Coronavirus and if you had to pick one person to be quarantined with who would it be?

Who would I be quarantined with from the office? Goodness, that's a tough one. Maybe Stew Wade so he can provide some good social media entertainment and content for me. Who knows. Not a litany of options here, guys, and there are a few who I would up way up there on the 'heck no!' list!

Quote:

Buzz's 2021 class is shaping up. He's sitting number 1 right now with 2 stellar guards. Do you see the possibility of adding a 5-star big man?

I do think there is a good chance they 'score big' with a highly-rated big man. There are a couple of really big-time guys out there whose names aren't out there yet, but the Ags are also trying to land Quinnipiac star Kevin Marfo, who led the country in rebounding last year at 13.3 boards per game. As for '21, everything is on the table for Buzz and Co. I'd expect them to ink an impact forward/center before all is said and done, yes. 

Quote:

Have you ever been invited to one of Coach Price's cookouts?

Well, I wouldn't be able to attend one of the recruiting BBQs, but I have made a few day trips with TP over the years to go explore some new spots and hit the staples within an hour's drive. The man knows (and loves) his 'cue!

Quote:

What changes do you think Marshall Malchow will bring to recruiting? Are you expecting the next class to be even better than our last two?

See elsewhere in the thread for my thoughts on this class. As for Marshall, he's REALLY impressive to talk to, and I think he's going to bring a lot of ideas in the way of organizing the process in Bright, upgrading the Ags' plan of attack in general - especially on social media and in terms of how the visit experience goes for recruits and their families, both official and unofficial. He's seen first-hand how Nick Saban, Chris Petersen and Kirby Smart do it while serving as one of the driving forces of the recruiting machine in Athens.

Quote:

Top 3 Favorite games - any sport?

A&M (that I've actually been to):

• Football: '98 Nebraska, 2012 Bama, Cotton Bowl rout of OU
  • Basketball: Northern Iowa comeback, Ags advancing to the Sweet Sixteen over Louisville at Rupp, The Shot
  • Baseball: A&M over Houston with KB to win the regional (I think that was the weekend unless I'm confusing them), Super Regional win over Clemson, 15-innings at TCU for the CWS
  • Other: Gary Blair and Co. over Baylor and Mulkey in Dallas to advance to the Final Four, Softball in OKC at the CWS, Men's tennis upsets then No. 1 or 2 Pepperdine and I get to make fun of my roommate Brookhart for 'storming the court' when it's so awkward to do so at the Mitchell Tennis Center. You have to run down the steps, through a hallway and THEN get to the court. Just a lot of effort and incredibly funny.

Non-A&M (that I've actually been to):

• Football: Super Bowl in Houston (28-3/Brady cementing his legacy as the Goat)
  • Baseball: Game 2 & Game 5 in the '17 World Series (Game 2 in LA, Game 5 in Houston)
  • Basketball: Villanova beating UNC with a buzzer-beater in Houston for the title or any of several buzzer-beaters I've seen courtside in the tourney (at least four of them)
  • Other: Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz (the rematch) sitting ringside

Quote:

Top 3 moments coming up?

This one is what we'd all say, isn't it? Buzz Williams cutting down the nets as the Ags advance to a Final Four and Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies clinching a spot in the playoffs with an SEC title game victory. The third will be A&M football winning it all.

Quote:

Who will be the leaders on offense next season? I am not referring to the best offensive player, I want to know who on the offensive side of the ball will hold himself and others accountable.

It will start with Kellen Mond and Jhamon Ausbon. I also think Ainias Smith will lead in terms of his intensity and effort level on every down.

Quote:

If Kyle Field is closed and they make the teams play in an empty stadium, will you open your home to all TexAgs premium subscribers to come watch home games? I'm thinking we go to the game and then head over to Demin and Diamonds and do some boot scootin'.

My house isn't near big enough for that. Maybe from the TexAgs offices and parking lot!

Quote:

Do you think our TE play as a unit is key to a SEC West title next year in Jimbo's scheme?

If the Ags win an SEC title? Absolutely. Even if they don't, I think Jalen Wydermyer and Baylor Cupp along with even Glenn Beal and Ryan Rennik - the entire unit - will be a team strength, and the guys at the top are going to make some big-time plays in the passing game en route to making Kellen Mond's life much easier, giving Jimbo Fisher so many more options when it comes to how to attack defenses. Those two elite tight ends plus Ainias Smith sliding into the backfield are going to give Jimbo so many different options offensively next fall. And things could get even more interesting if Devon Achane and Demond Demas are able to hit the ground running.

Quote:

Looch, random question. What genre of music do you prefer: late 80s-90s New Jack or early 90s Grunge?

I never pick one, do I? I think 90s music might - grunge, country, whatever was on the radio at that time - might be my favorite. But I really do love everything and have some freaking epic playlists. If I listed the concerts I've been to the past 5-10 years you'd have a hard time pinning my taste down. Off the top of my head, I can name the Chili Peppers, Jay Z, Metallica, Garth Brooks, GNR, AC/DC, P!nk, Train/Goo Goo Dolls, Tom Petty, Live, Counting Crows, KISS, Dave Matthews, Timberlake, Drake, Def Leppard, Phil Collins, Matchbox 20, too many rodeo shows and Texas country shows to count, Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift...the list goes on and on and on. Big music guy, apparently.

Quote:

Have you heard anything about how these players have looked in this spring?
Jalen Preston, Brian Williams, Ke'Shun Brown, Chris Russell, Jeremiah Martin

I think Jeremiah Martin is ready to be a key contributor and part of the regular DE rotation. I think his PT will jump this fall. Russell needed a year to acclimate, IMO. He's physically ready to go, and I think he's the type of guy who will see some game action this year and then compete to start and be a really good SEC linebacker the following season. It's about hanging in there and progressing with him. Brian Williams has had a nice offseason, and it's just a matter of Mike Elko figuring out where he'll be most effective in his scheme (if he isn't one of the two starting safeties). Preston and Caleb Chapman are two very interesting vets, neither of whom have played much. Preston had a nice close to the season in practice, and I thought we may actually see him earn a bowl game start. Chapman's name has come up a LOT this offseason, including multiple teammates telling me that the third-year pass-catcher is one of the team's fastest players.

Quote:

Any chance you could convince Dave South to drop by every once in awhile on the radio show once he retires?

That would be fun. Dave is a legend and always welcome at TA. He would provide some amazing stories and no one is more fun to talk to than The Voice.

Quote:

Best chicken tenders in town?

Tough one here. I love all the usual suspects, Wings, Lane's, Willie's, The Tap..but here's a sleeper pick: the tenders at Mo's Irish Pub are excellent. I haven't tried the ones at Walk On's yet but I feel like I've already sampled everything else.

Quote:

If you've been to road games at every SEC stadium on the schedule this year except for Miss State and can only do one road game this season, do you go to Starkvegas to complete the task or go to Tuscaloosa or Auburn again for the impact of the game on the season?

If I was in that position, I'd pick Auburn. If form holds and the Ags are as good as expected (even say, a top-15 squad), there's a very good chance they could be sitting at 6-0 heading into Jordan-Hare. Win that one, and they leave The Plains as a bonafide playoff contender.

Quote:

What are your Top 5 Podcasts?

I'm not a huge podcast guy, but considering recent happenings here and around the world, I'm open to suggestions. Feel free to give me some ideas. They don't have to be sports-related, by the way.

Quote:

Almost every class has a lowly rated kid that becomes a starter. Even at schools that recruit elite (LSU had 2 OL starters barely ranked as recruits). Who from our 2020 class fits that bill?

Good question, and a tough one. I think Isaiah Raikes would be my first pick as a three-star who absolutely should have been a four. Dallas Walker is another guy on D who I think could surprise. On offense, my pick would be Josh Bankhead or Deondre Jackson.

Quote:

What past Aggie Football players belong or have been overlooked in the College Football HOF? Top 3 guys you think.

Well, top three in the College Hall? Let's go with the NFL Hall of Fame. Lester Hayes, Richmond Webb, Jacob Green, Ray Childress? All have quite the case, but I think Hayes and Webb absolutely need to be in. Future Gold Jacket Aggies? Shane Lechler is a lock and Von Miller is on his way as well. If Mike Evans can put together even four more years like his first six, he's going to have a great chance to get there one day as well.

Quote:

Just amazed at what Buzz has done this year with that roster. Very disappointed the SEC coaches not recognizing him as SEC Coach of the Year like the AP who got it right. How do you vote to not put one A&M player on any postseason teams and then not give Buzz SEC COY for that gritty season record. Maybe a little fear in what's to come out of College Station the next decade under Buzz, agree?

Nah, I don't think in any way the SEC or even the coaches in the league don't want A&M to succeed. Most of them really genuinely respect and like Buzz. But I agree with you, they know what's coming. The Aggies are going to be a long-term force in the SEC and will arrive very quickly. Look at what Williams is doing on the recruiting front with the two recent, borderline five-star additions, how his team performed this season (what a fun, rewarding group to follow...a group I think every Aggie basketball fan should appreciate as the win totals and NCAA tourney runs mount) and then imagine if it somehow turns out that the Ags get back Josh Nebo and Wendell Mitchell. I think it's unlikely that basketball players will get the year back, but it's something that's on the table. Regardless, the future is as bright on the hardwood as it's been in at roughly a dozen years in College Station.

Quote:

Jimbo and Staff's upgrade of the Linebacker position is one of the best changes from the Sumlin Era. Are we close to getting back to Linebacker U?

You have to understand how truly great the linebackers wearing the Maroon & White were in the late 70s, 80s and 90s, as most of you do. The Ags aren't close to getting to that level. Here's an example of how they could get there: Have guys like Andre White, Chris Russell, Antonio Doyle and Edgerrin Cooper ALL emerge as All-Conference and/or NFL caliber players and then start signing guys like Nakobe Dean, Christian Harris, Noah Sewell and others on an annual basis (sometimes two guys like that) while also having some of your 'under the radar' guys emerge as high-end SEC 'backers. That's how good it was for the better part of two decades. Now, do I think the linebacker position has been tremendously improved on the field the past two seasons? You bet. Do I think the talent upgrade at the position has been dramatic as well? No doubt. Do I think it's getting better? You bet I do. Doyle and Cooper, White and Russell, Johnson and Hines plus Aaron Hansford and maybe even a spin-down candidate on down the road are a tremendous start, but Elko and Tyler Santucci are going to have to add two more (plus 2020 grayshirt Kenneth Phillips) high-end 'backers in order to keep things fast-tracked in the right direction.

12 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Brauny story?

Heading back from a Houston recruiting trip a day early and basically telling me it was because he got bit by a spider takes the cake so far. Or the time he ordered fifteen chicken thighs for lunch at J. Cody's and wiped the place out.

tumblr_mfodbl03Qq1r5x8t7o2_250.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

So both Brauny and Roach are "inhaling a bucket of chicken wings every lunch out of glassy-eyed grim necessity" kind of eaters. Checks out.

I've seen Brauninger "coaching" baseball for Twelve. Can confirm that the dude was sweating gravy and this was a couple of years and a few thousand buckets of chicken ago. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Quote:

Making our first trip to Tuscaloosa this season. Outside of watching an Aggie victory, what are your top three "can't miss" things to do while we're there?

I'm not sure there are many 'can't miss' things to do in T-Town, but I would say their nightlife was pretty fun. If the Ags score the upset, go to Gilette's (sp?) and drink a few Yellow Hammers. One of my favorite times after an A&M win was going out after the 2012 win and running into Ross Stripling and Michael Wacha. To say we had a memorable celebration would be an understatement.

If Jimbos' trend of recruiting and development continues, what's your view of an approximate time frame when we'll play for the SEC championship? Not meant as a trap question where "Billy said we'd be in the SEC title game in X years and it didn't happen, therefore TexAgs stinks".... just looking for your best guess. Thanks.

It could be this year. I don't know if they're quite going to be ready to run that gauntlet, but I've said before that I think the Ags next starting QB will win an SEC title and perhaps a national championship in College Station. In other words, I think the Ags reach the playoff either as a darkhorse this year or (more likely) in '21 or '22. It's building towards it, folks. But there is an interesting window of opportunity this coming fall.

One of my favorite times after an A&M win against Alabama...was the only time in 2012

Also, the Championship question is greatness. It could be this year, or next  year, or the year after that, or really the year after that too now that I think about it. Any year after that too really

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

One of my favorite times after an A&M win against Alabama...was the only time in 2012

Also, the Championship question is greatness. It could be this year, or next  year, or the year after that, or really the year after that too now that I think about it. Any year after that too really

I think you’re being really unfair to ole Chin Pubes. He wasn’t saying it could be any year in the future, what he meant to say was the backup QB will always be the one to win it all and they will always win it all the year after next season. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

The answer to the 21 class ranking is better. 
will our ‘21 class final ranking be better than ‘20?

a:  possible, BUT WAIT UNTIL THE ‘22 CLASS ITS GONNA BE EPIC

expectations successfully shifted another year down the road. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The answer to the 21 class ranking is better. 
will our ‘21 class final ranking be better than ‘20?

a:  possible, BUT WAIT UNTIL THE ‘22 CLASS ITS GONNA BE EPIC

expectations successfully shifted another year down the road. 

Which means he knows the Chinese virus is going to be decimate their OOS recruiting this cycle, and since they really do a shitty job in state, the 2021 class is going to be bad.

29 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Which means he knows the Chinese virus is going to be decimate their OOS recruiting this cycle, and since they really do a shitty job in state, the 2021 class is going to be bad.

I like where he says if they have a good year Donovan Jackson could be flipped.  Lulz, if we match/do better than aggy and Jackson wants to stay close to home, it wont be aggy.

56 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

That high school kid on texags posted a rumor that Banks was looking to decommit, which was quickly edited by Billy, and saying they are looking into things. When they say that it usually happens soon. 

Any stud WR going to that dinosaur offense is a fool.

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

That high school kid on texags posted a rumor that Banks was looking to decommit, which was quickly edited by Billy, and saying they are looking into things. When they say that it usually happens soon. 

North Shore kid. LSU probably made a call 

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

20__ Champions. Mark it down. 

was just coming to post that

Eli Stowers is solid. I had pretty much been told that, if A&M took two QBs, the only real possibility for that second one was Dematrius Davis. But, the Aggies just offered Garrett Nussmeier. We are working to get more.

https://247sports.com/Player/Garrett-Nussmeier-46054223/

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 1

Perroni, on Nussmeier.

Spoiler

Brian Perroni
I have an update coming, but he had built a good relationship with Coley at UGA and has been talking to Coley a while. Dickey offered today. They didn't specifically mention anything to him about two QBs, but Stowers is rock solid.

Aggie 247 / Brian Perroni / A&M offers 4-star QB Nussmeier, who has interest in Aggies

Quotes that prove he is an Aggie lock:  "I think it is (one I'm interested in)" "I'm definitely going to be looking into it."

Spoiler

A&M offers 4-star QB Nussmeier, who has interest in Aggies

Brian Perroni

Since the summer, Texas A&M has had a commitment from one of the top in-state quarterbacks in the class of 2021 in Eli Stowers of Denton Guyer. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound dual-threat prospect has since been solid in his pledge.

It was a little surprising then, when the Aggies offered another passer in the class on Thursday. The newest A&M offer went out to Flower Mound Marcus four-star quarterback Garrett Nussmeier.

"It had kind of been in the works, but it officially happened today," the 6-foot-1.5, 190-pound quarterback said early Thursday afternoon.

Nussmeier says he had already built a relationship with new Aggie tight end coach James Coley before he came to College Station from the SEC East.

"I had previously known coach Coley while he was at Georgia, so we had a relationship before," Nussmeier said. "I talked to him and coach (Darrell) Dickey and then I'm supposed to get on the phone with coach (Jimbo) Fisher soon."

Nussmeier is intrigued by the offer.

"I think it is (one I'm interested in)," he said of A&M. "I think it's a great spot. It has a lot of history behind it and it's a great atmosphere. And it's SEC football, which is cool. I'm definitely going to be looking into it."

With both being in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, Nussmeier is well-aware of Stowers.

"I know Eli. He's a great player," Nussmeier said. "Guyer is close to Flower Mound. His high school is close to mine. He's a great football player and I have a lot of respect for him."

Nussmeier says he and the A&M coaches nave not really gotten into a discussion about the logistics just yet, though.

"We hadn't really talked about that," he said of a two-quarterback class. "It was just them saying they think I'm a really good football player and would love to have me on their team."

Many of the schools recruiting Nussmeier have a quarterback committed already, though. While anything but cocky, he does believe in himself, however, and is okay with the idea of being in a signing class of more than just himself.

"I'm confident in my abilities," the nation's No. 104 overall prospect said. "I want to go compete somewhere. I'm not afraid of anybody, so my goal is just to find the right spot, regardless of the situation. You know, it has the to be the right situation, though. You never want to put yourself in a bad spot. But, with the right situation, I'm not afraid to compete at all."

Nussmeier has a decision date planned for April 18. However, that was set before all campus visits were shut down by the NCAA due to the coronavirus. Now, he is not sure if he will still be committing on that day or not.

"The coronavirus thing kind of threw everything off, so I don't know," he said. "I still want to take my visits and go through the process, so I'm really not sure. I really don't know if I'm going to now or not. I really couldn't tell you. I have to figure that out."

Nussmeier currently has 13 Crystal Ball predictions, all for LSU. As a junior, he threw for 3,788 yards with 38 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

A&M offers 4-star QB Nussmeier, who has interest in Aggies

*************************************************************************************

(Comment in thread.)

Brian Perroni
LSU is stil the likely landing spot, but if he postpones his decision, A&M will work to get him on campus. He likes Coley.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 1:55 AM, Tex Pete said:

20__ Champions. Mark it down. 

aggy 9.95ers have a unique opportunity if this season is cancelled. Instead of "wait until 2022", they can pivot to "the roster was never better than 2020 and the NCAA took our championship". Then they can kick the can waaaaaaay down the road, continue to blame it on the man, and claim a roster rebuild with all of the departing senior leadership.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh yes yes yes

ETkN15JXYAIR0MO?format=png&name=360x360

I’d say that means more bidding to happen but that’s not how it went with Leon or probably brown.  I do wonder if Leon decommits for Clemson only to have them tell him they weren’t going to be spending money on him/his position.  Brown I’m pretty sure wanted bama and they eventually declined/signed higher on their board. So both went back to aggy. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto