Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

Andrew Hattersley: A&M DL coach's transparency clicks with Top247 DE Dennis-Sutton

Texas A&M extended a pair of offers to a pair of McDonogh (MD) underclassmen on Wednesday afternoon. The first of those offers went to top-100 defensive end Dani Dennis-Sutton. “I was actually really excited,” Dennis-Sutton told GigEm247. “They've always been a pretty good school. Obviously, like Myles Garrett, the defensive end that came out of there, I kind of look up to him. I want to sort of model my game after him and he came out of Texas A&M. I know they've definitely got some defensive line history, defense line players that have come out of there.”

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive end spent close to 30 minutes on the phone with defensive line coach Elijah Robinson. Over the past year, Dennis-Sutton has worked to add to his frame putting on 20 pounds, something that caught the eye of A&M’s defensive line coach.

“He seemed pretty cool,” Dennis-Sutton said. “I mean, he told me, realistically 'when I saw you last year, you weren't too big,' which is true. He said, 'now I see that you're getting bigger and stuff, gaining a little bit more weight.' So, he just kept it real with me. I mean, he told me he believed in me, so he wanted me to keep working and stuff. So I thought that was pretty cool because a lot of other coaches they just say what they think I want to hear or they just try make everything nice, but he kept it real with me, he told me what it was, so I appreciate that.”

While it may not be this summer, Dennis-Sutton said he plans to take a trip down to College Station and hopes to learn more about the school in the meantime as well. Prior to the dead period, he also had trips planned to Ohio State, Penn State and Notre Dame over spring break and still plans to take those visits when he gets the chance but right now does not have any others lined up yet.

Relationships are a big key for Dennis-Sutton, it’s why even though he lives in Delaware he opted to go to school in Maryland and will be looking for a similar type connection with a coaching staff when he does start heading out on visits.

“I definitely want to get a connection with all the coaches,” Dennis-Sutton said. “Because I live in Delaware and feeling like home is a really big thing for me. That's why I chose McDonogh even though Owings is in Maryland and I live in Delaware. I'm two hours away from home, but I feel like at McDonogh, they still watch out for me, they do what's best for me. So definitely coaching, relationships is a big thing for me. Just going to a place where I think I can develop as well as play at the same time. I don't want anything to be given to me, but I also want a fair chance at the same time. So I mean those are really the biggest things for me. Then obviously, somewhere where it's safe at home, because I also want my mom to be in it as well.”

After taking a big step forward as a sophomore, the plan for Dennis-Sutton is to do that again this summer and continue to get stronger and faster. “I have a bench and stuff here so I can get that stuff in,” Dennis-Sutton said. “Then as far as the cardio stuff goes, every day since we've been out of school, I've gone on a run or a jog or something. Different tempos, some days it'll be a high tempo like trying to run a mile straight and then some days it'll be like jog half a mile, walk the other half then run another half so different tempos but every day I still try and do something.”

247Sports rates Dennis-Sutton as the No. 99 overall prospect nationally and No. 10 strong-side defensive end in the 2022 class.

Brian Perroni: Now headed to prep school, Marques Buford racks up offers, including A&M

Marques Buford spent the past two seasons at Cedar Hill (Texas) Trinity Christian School, winning a pair of TAPPS state titles. The 6-foot, 190-pound athlete had some offers but decided not to sign this past February. Instead, he is headed the prep school route. Buford will spend the fall semester at St. Thomas More Prep in Connecticut and is now a member of the class of 2021. Since making that decision, he has seen close to 20 offers come his way.

"I announced it probably about a month or month-and-a-half ago on my Twitter," Buford said of the decision to attend prep school. "And basically, coaches just started reaching back out to me. They decided they missed me the first go-round. It had nothing to do with grades. I'm a full qualifier. I didn't want to go some place I felt I was rushed into choosing, basically, so the prep school route was the best route for me, I felt. I had a chance to do the recruiting process over and schools had spots available with me doing it this way. I'll be able to leave in December too."

Buford is listed as an athlete and has played both ways for Trinity Christian. He is likely to end up on defense at the next level, though. "The majority of the schools are recruiting me for the defensive side of the ball - corner, safety, just a general DB," he said. "I don't really have a huge preference. I've been playing my whole life wherever I've been needed but I guess you could say the defensive side of the ball, it brings out more aggression that I have."

One of the more recent offers came from Texas A&M and it was for the defensive side of the ball as well. "I spoke with coach TJ (Rushing) on the phone and he offered me," Buford said. Texas A&M made an impression on Buford with the offer and is one of his top schools.

"Honestly, I'd have to say Texas A&M and Ole Miss, considering they're both my first SEC offers ever," he said of programs standing out. "Everybody grows up, they want to play in the big conference and the SEC is that conference. Definitely A&M and Ole Miss and then I've been talking a lot with the coaches from Washington State. They've probably been recruiting me the heaviest thus far. But nobody has like really made it to where I'm like ready to go there right now or anything. I'm going to take my time."

Buford is not from the Lone Star State, despite being there the last two seasons. He hails from Chicago but does not think geography will play a factor in his final decision. "I was born and raised in Chicago. I went to Bolingbrook High School my freshman and sophomore year," he said.

"Not really, to be honest," Buford added about distance from there likely being something he considers. "If anything, I feel like I'm more prone to possibly go anywhere. I feel comfortable anywhere around the country. I've been living down south for almost three years at this point. I grew up in the Midwest and then I'm going to be on the East Coast for a good five, six months. The only place I haven't lived is the West Coast but I have family out there. I don't think the geography of the school I go to matters. It's really just the best fit for me and some place that's going to make me a better man."

Over his past two seasons, Buford recorded six interceptions, including two he returned for touchdowns. He also caught 12 touchdown passes on offense.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Andrew Hattersley: A&M DL coach's transparency clicks with Top247 DE Dennis-Sutton

Brian Perroni: Now headed to prep school, Marques Buford racks up offers, including A&M

Thank goodness Buford moved to Connecticut from Cedar Hill or aggy never would have noticed him.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

If you think that’s crazy, just imagine the level of cognitive dissonance it takes to be an aggy and think your football program is elite. 

The brain rot is contagious:  just by pure chance I landed on asshat Finebaum recently, and he told an aggy caller that they had already surpassed the University of Texas as the premier program in the state.  

9 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

That o-line coach is the most bitter dude on the planet. He's the one who single-handedly delivered the FSU OL grad transfer to Bama over A&M because he's still so chafed that Fisher didn't bring him to College Station with him. Thing is, the guy should have been let go at FSU long before he was but the administration there wouldn't let him make changes. That was a big part of the issue of why he ultimately left when folks who didn't really understand how bad things had gotten in terms of Florida State being second-rate in terms of support and infrastructure couldn't comprehend why he'd leave Tallahassee.

Sometimes it helps to know these things.

trickett.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

If Fatheree goes to LSU their board will be even more of a boxing fire fire than usual. It will be one of the biggest meltdowns we’ve seen in awhile. Part because he’s been pencilled in for over a year. Liucci has literally already said TODAY that the o line class is going to be special. This and then Foster going elsewhere and holy fuck. And you know what, I’m pretty sure them pressuring Wykoff to commit all of a sudden Isnt a coincidence. 

Okay Syd, give me a little help here.  What the hell is a boxing fire fire

On 5/15/2020 at 1:54 PM, Burt Macklin said:

If you think that’s crazy, just imagine the level of cognitive dissonance it takes to be an aggy and think your football program is elite. 

it’s like you don’t even remember when they beat bama that one time eight years ago. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Just wait till the commits from the east and west coast and discover life in gomersville. Just wanna see their faces the first time they see the Saturday Night Hoe Down at the barn.

I hear the KKK rallies are to die for....

aggy makes the top 3 for Desmond Watson - DT from FL. a 350 pound 3-tech, eh? Elko is going to find a NT that goes 4 bills soon. 

"While he is definitely a big defensive tackle, Robinson sees the potential for Watson to move around.

"He feels like I'm not a zero-technique," Watson said of the Aggie coach. "He thinks I can move better than that. He thinks I would either play a 3-technique or a shade, to where I could do more than just stop the run. He thinks I can do more than just hold up blockers and he wants me to live up to my full potential."

Sucks. I like both he and Zuhn and they are both better than any of the shitty ass cubes that Jimbo favors. Both of them are much more inline with what Henson has looked for in the past.

aggy won't like this but those guys are better prospects than anyone they've nabbed in years at OT. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leanderman said:

Just wait till the commits from the east and west coast and discover life in gomersville. Just wanna see their faces the first time they see the Saturday Night Hoe Down at the barn.

hey man, don't knock it until you try it. :D

I wouldn't mind a Saturday Night Waltz (from Aaron Copland's famous piece about American West); but then again maybe I'm not a typical Aggie?

In Copland's ballet "Rodeo", the Saturday Night Waltz immediately precedes the even more famous Hoedown.

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Sucks. I like both he and Zuhn and they are both better than any of the shitty ass cubes that Jimbo favors. Both of them are much more inline with what Henson has looked for in the past.

aggy won't like this but those guys are better prospects than anyone they've nabbed in years at OT. 

that offer list is 4-star worthy, yes?

time for Aggie homo/no-home whack off wordplay? :D