Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

He pointed out that Texas doesn’t send guys to the league the past 10 years because Texas sucked the past 10 years. Shocking 

Texas has sent guys to the league. Just not in the higher rounds. 

35 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Texas has sent guys to the league. Just not in the higher rounds. 

Counterpoint; La Tech and Fresno st have sent guys to the league, just not in the higher rounds. Meanwhile schools like South Dakota and Buffalo and all kinds of trash schools have sent guys I higher rounds*

*fun fact, I made all of that up right out of my ass and I feel like there’s a better than 50% shot it’s accurate. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

It's definitely below the standard Texas should be setting.  Herman should win this year with an experienced team and depth at every position.  It's difficult to see how the defense can't improve just by running basic concepts.  The expectation should be to win the Big 12 this year. 

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

It's definitely below the standard Texas should be setting.

it’s pretty unbelievable.  I think other places must just not be as fun so the kids spend more time training because there isn’t shit else to do.  there’s always fun to be had somewhere in austin.  or we’re just recruiting soft kids.  or the coaches are soft.  or it’s bad luck.  but it’s fucking unbelievable and it herman has to fucking fix it.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

But somehow that’s good for aggy who...doesn’t send kids to the league. 

You put the receipts in front of recruits that show A&M with 18 kids drafted in the first three rounds the past 10 drafts, while Texas has had six, and it seems significant enough to them. 

That's only two less than Oklahoma in the same period. 

Just now, Thiefery said:

Vaka is the one who was a 4 star, yet didn't hold an offer from any P5 in CA right?

None in CA and while he reports offers from a few Pac XII teams, it's highly unlikely they were committable. Looks like he still plans to take his Oregon and Michigan trips, but maybe 247 just hasn't updated that yet. 

15 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You put the receipts in front of recruits that show A&M with 18 kids drafted in the first three rounds the past 10 drafts, while Texas has had six, and it seems significant enough to them. 

That's only two less than Oklahoma in the same period. 

Yeah I understand that, but I thought the quote was 5 years? Any school in the country could have gotten Garret and Kirk drafted.  

If the kid is truly worried about what Strong didnt accomplish here, he wasn’t interested anyhow. Head to your football factory and wait 3 years behind a bench of 5*’s ffs. 

Fuck OU, aggy, and their draft picks. 

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

If the kid is truly worried about what Strong didnt accomplish here, he wasn’t interested anyhow. Head to your football factory and wait 3 years behind a bench of 5*’s ffs. 

You do realize we are recruiting football players, right?

Soundbites work, and not every recruit is a particularly thoughtful teenager.

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Soundbites work, and not every recruit is a particularly thoughtful teenager.

Yeah, that’s great.  It wouldn’t surprise me that Alabama, UGA, tOSU, OU and LSU leading if the league is your #1 factor. But don’t sit here and tell me ATM is on the same plane.  Because they’ve wasted more 4 and 5 stars than anyone in the country.    If dude doesn’t want a thoughtful response, maybe he should quit with the statistics. CTJ called what this recruitment was about a year ago. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lulz 247 just dropped Vaka to a 3* (87) and it made him a composite 3*.  Should have a pretty good meltdown.

A&M and out of state recruits who’ve peaked in their sophomore year.

Name a more iconic duo.*

*besides losing, failure, not being able to handle the moment, propaganda, idiocy, delusions of grandeur, and fucking sheep, of course. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Liucci

In reply to TexAgsSean •  12:21p 

Staff

AG

NolaAggie504 said:

We were the only school out of his top group willing to take his commitment when we did ...

TexAgsSean said:

Where did you hear that?

NolaAggie504 said:

We weren't the first school he tried to commit to 

TexAgsSean said:

Was that info that TexAgs staff posted? If so I must have missed that. I don't recall ever hearing him trying to commit somewhere else.

LSU wouldn't take him so it's become ent vogue for the expert message boarders - The Aggregators as I like to call them - to preach it as gospel that he had no other options. It's actually just false information that these types like to spread in their effort to self-loathe everything A&M does well and to believe whatever comes from a non-A&M source. It's like a badge of honor to make you feel like you're better-informed or in some way superior to your fellow TexAgs posters if you believe what someone 'outside the bubble' states as fact.

But you're right, these same assclowns will throw an absolute fit when A&M doesn't take T Lewis or when they pass on Kaine Williams,, neither of whom suffered the same rankings fate as Vaka.

56 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

But you're right, these same assclowns will throw an absolute fit when A&M doesn't take T Lewis or when they pass on Kaine Williams,, neither of whom suffered the same rankings fate as Vaka.

Aggy passed on Kaine Williams? One of the top Safety's in the class? Holy fuck that is good shit. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

It speaks volumes about texags subscribers that Looooochie can openly express utter disdain for some of them and react virulently to even the slightest criticism of his moronic takes, and yet they stick around and keep coming back for more and more.

Liucci has taken the QAnon/Alex Jones/Conspiracy theorist model and applied it to his business practices brilliantly. You criticize and erode the competition so no other source of information is trustworthy. You reinforce your own echo chamber and your personal power within that chamber. And then you've pretty much guaranteed your subscriber base will continue to pay you money. Televangelism at it's finest.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

It speaks volumes about texags subscribers that Looooochie can openly express utter disdain for some of them and react virulently to even the slightest criticism of his moronic takes, and yet they stick around and keep coming back for more and more.

Definition of battered woman syndrome

: the highly variable symptom complex of physical and psychological injuries exhibited by a woman repeatedly abused especially physically by her mate
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Today, Billy Liucci pores over a multitude of topics regarding Texas A&M football and recruiting and takes a national look at the state of college football as much of the country prepares to reopen from the more extreme limits of the coronavirus shutdown. Part Two will follow on Thursday.

• This week, the NCAA will decide whether or not they're letting players back into the weight rooms on college campuses to train for the upcoming season. It’s a simple way of phrasing it, but that's exactly what they'll decide. Contrary to what Dri-fit Lincoln Riley says, it's an absolute no-brainer and the right decision. Look, I'm with the Sooner head coach in that college administrators, ADs and coaches need to do what's right for the athletes and entire student bodies. That comes first and foremost. However, schools are opening back up, and businesses are doing the same (that will soon be the case in 48 states around the country, I believe ). That means places like Gold's Gym or any other local fitness centers will be open around College Station, all over Texas and virtually coast to coast. The Rec Center has also re-opened for business on the A&M campus. If that's the case, college football players who have already been training outside with strength and speed coaches and select teammates and friends are going to run — not walk — to any facility that can get them ready for the 2020 season.

Why in the world would the NCAA want them anywhere BUT a controlled environment like the college weight room? I know there's already a concrete plan in place at A&M and elsewhere. Things like limiting the number of athletes who can be in the weight room at once, social distancing inside the facility during workouts, disinfectant sprays and wipes at each station and allotted time between sessions to thoroughly clean equipment. Even a complete, professional clean every night would be the norm. Perhaps most importantly, if an athlete were to become sick, trainers and medical personnel would be able to easily track who came in contact with them and hopefully rein in any problem before it arises. It would be much easier to track than if you had your players scattered about and sharing equipment and weight rooms with folks from all over.

I expect they'll make the right decision, and we'll see the Aggies back in the weight room shortly after Memorial Day.

Tyler Zander, TexAgs

Even before teams hit the field for any official full-pad workouts, it is expected that athletes will be allowed back into weight rooms on college campuses soon.

• Of course, players resuming team workouts would represent a giant step towards football being played — and the college season starting on-time — this fall.

That or the season beginning a month late is something I've stood firm on from day one. I've said that would happen dating back to the very early weeks of the national shutdown. I also pointed to the first of June as a target date for teams to at least begin to get together. The feeling was that team stuff would have to resume by the Fourth of July — or shortly after that — for college football to have an on-time start.

I wasn't saying those things because I was smart enough to guess all of it on my own. I've talked to folks on most sides of this thing virtually every day. Sure, the virus has created a dizzying array of moving targets, and everyone understands that if the number of cases skyrockets when the country is opening back up, all of the best-laid plans could get thrown out the window. Still, this is what most who had a clue were hoping and, truth be told (to at least some degree), expecting would happen throughout.

All of the fear-mongering by the national sports media in the form of every 'worst-case scenario' imaginable? You know, the daily beatdown that we were all so tired of? When it seemed like everyone was chasing down the most negative news they could find and slapping it on a tweet or headline? Yeah, those same folks are now drifting back towards what is far more likely to happen, and they're doing it without a single one of them telling us, "Well, we may have gotten it wrong." Not the least bit surprising.

Let's hope the current trend continues because, while no one is sure yet what it's going to look like in terms of fans, testing or what happens when a player or two on a team are affected, we're getting closer and closer to football being played in September.

• Let's tackle some recruiting stuff, shall we?

There's no better place to start than along the offensive line, where Josh Henson and the Aggies picked up a big one earlier this week when they landed Magnolia's Matthew Wykoff‍. The 6-5, 305-pounder chose the Ags over a group of finalists, including Penn State, Texas, Auburn, Arizona State, USC and Texas Tech. Wykoff became the Aggies' second OL commit in 2021 (likely the second of five when all is said and done). When Henson arrived from Oklahoma State a little over a year ago, he helped the Ags close things out on the offensive front as they flipped Akinola Ogunbiyi‍ from a top-3 class at Georgia and beat out Bama, OU and Tennessee for Chris Morris‍, the No. 1-ranked player in Arkansas.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Josh Henson is helping build a very talented offensive line in Aggieland.

Henson and the Ags have opened things up this year by beating several high-profile programs from coast to coast for Wykoff and by landing the No. 2-ranked player in Colorado in Trey Zuhn‍. The A&M legacy earned offers from the likes of A&M, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and OU last summer during a whirlwind camp tour. The point here is that the Aggies are fighting and winning much bigger battles along the offensive line than they have at any point since joining the SEC, and there's been a noticeable uptick when it comes to the past four additions.

If the Ags can hold off LSU and perhaps Notre Dame for Richmond Foster tackle Reuben Fatheree‍ (which I believe will ultimately be the case), we'd be talking about an extremely impressive run in the trenches under Henson. And that's with five-star guard and longtime priority Bryce Foster‍ still out there and seriously considering the Maroon & White. If Fatheree is the next big domino to fall, I will personally feel very good about the Ags closing out an elite five or perhaps even six-man haul, depending on how things go.

• Don't look now, but the Ags appear to be on the verge of going on a nice in-state commitment run. Sure, there might be a couple of out-of-state pledges mixed in over the next 4-6 weeks, but Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies are quietly positioning themselves to make some real noise within state lines.

Fernando Garza‍ and Matthew Wykoff recently joined state top-10 talents Eli Stowers‍ and Shadrach Banks‍ on the commit list, and at least four other prospects who sit inside the top 10-12 are giving the Ags a very serious look. A couple of those guys are quietly pondering making their choice known sometime in June, as is Denton Guyer cornerback and longtime A&M target Deuce Harmon‍.

Look, the haters are out in force as the Aggies are consistently targeted by Texas and the rest of the in-state programs that aren't part of the Southeastern Conference juggernaut. A&M is also targeted by natural recruiting rivals OU and LSU as each program's primary threat in the Lone Star State. Combine that with a media that seems more than willing to take shots at the Aggie head coach because their feelings were hurt that a school like Texas A&M could rip a national championship winner away from a football blueblood like Florida State, and you have the perfect storm working against the Aggies on the recruiting front. The spin and effort that has gone into attempting to undermine A&M's recruiting efforts is pretty remarkable, but all Fisher and his staff have done is sign the No. 3 and No. 6 classes, back-to-back.

The Aggies starting to climb again in 2021, and all I can say is this: Imagine if the Ags were to go out and win ten or more games this fall. It's a nightmare scenario that folks from Tuscaloosa to Austin and all points in between are doing everything in their power to prevent. If Jimbo and Co. continue to stockpile talent like he has been and start increasing the win total in Year Three and beyond, good luck with all that.

Justin Schoenemann

Eli Stowers is one of many prospects that national services have rated way too low for the class of 2021.

• For better or worse, don't put as much stock into the national recruiting rankings this year as you normally do. It'll help you stay sane.

Without the benefit of spring tours, regional and national combines (Elite 11, The Opening and similar events), summer camp season and 7-on-7 events, things are hard enough for college football coaches to evaluate as well as they'd like. And then you have the big three recruiting networks and their teams of experts. Many of the guys doing it are outstanding at their jobs (Barton Simmons of 247 always gets my vote, as do a few others on the national side of that network) and, like the college coaches, will have their work cut out for them this go-round due to the extended shutdown.

Unfortunately, there are also many who are pretty bad at what they do.

Without all of the off-season access, they'll be relying more than ever on their own ability to watch and evaluate tape and to remain patient and have the guts to change the rankings dramatically during and after the prospects' senior seasons this fall. Sadly, too many of these guys (Rivals in particular) are going to take the easy way out and lean more heavily than usual on the coaches and staffers they're connected to who attempt to fix the rankings in their favor.

As of now, a quick look at the rankings makes it pretty clear that many of those doing this haven't bothered to watch enough film to scour the country accurately. That much is evident to me when I see three-star (and even low three-star) rankings for guys like A&M commit Kaci Seegars‍ , and out-of-state targets such as Tyreek Chappell‍ and Taleeq Robbins‍ out of Pennsylvania, Louisiana DE Saivion Jones‍ and Missouri commit Connor Tollison‍. The same can be said when it comes to some of the prospects who are tragically overrated at this point because the services are probably uncomfortable sending a prospect on a ranking freefall without anything going on. We'll see if they do so once we get back to football.

• Because of the shortened schedule, lack of a spring evaluation period, summer camps and even valuable in-person visits, every head coach in college football will rely more than ever on his own evaluations. The staffs that excel in this regard are going to be the ones who win Signing Day in 2021 (I'm still convinced they'll do away with the early signing date this year and return to the December/February set up for the Class of '22).

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Having a proven ace recruiter like Jimbo Fisher should pay dividends for A&M in a time when coaches will rely more than ever on their own evaluations of recruits.

Be thankful that the Ags have a proven, championship-winning head coach in Jimbo Fisher. Sure, he's made a career of landing the high-four and five-star recruits, but Fisher also has as good a track record as any top-25 head coach when it comes to staying one step ahead by signing less-coveted prospects and turning them into NFL Draft picks and All-Conference selections. This year's A&M class is likely to have a fascinating mix of both.

• Whether we're talking about Jimbo, Nick Saban, Tom Herman, Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Ed O or Lane Kiffin, the remainder of the 2021 race will have a true 'to each their own' feel to it. We saw it a couple of weeks back when the Ags went into North Carolina to pluck Kaci Seegars and stayed a lot closer to home when they offered and committed Katy TE Fernando Garza. Oklahoma did the same last week when they took Texarkana OLB Clayton Smith‍, who was at A&M's camp last summer and was never really recruited by the Ags after that. A few days earlier, Texas took two Texans and a Louisiana receiver, each of whom the Aggies evaluated and didn't offer. You'll see a lot more of that than ever before, and it'll go both ways.

• Here’s another question to ponder when it comes to the unprecedented recruiting cycle we're watching unfold: Why all the hoopla and hype when it comes to the early class rankings?

I suppose it's because there aren't any live sports to talk about, but the amount of hype Tennessee's class is getting has reached 'The Last Dance' levels on social media, and it's due to the fact the Vols already have over 20 commits as anything else. Meanwhile, programs like Minnesota (No. 8 with 16 commits), Iowa (15 commits at No. 10) and Baylor (No. 17 with 13 commits) are all inside the top 20 with very little staying power where they're currently at.

Bama currently sits at No. 44 with just five verbals, and several teams that live in the top 10 — Georgia, A&M, Auburn and Oklahoma — are all in the 19-26 range with just seven or eight commits. If the Ags were to add Reuben Fatheree, Denton Guyer CB Deuce Harmon and running back LJ Johnson Jr‍ with their next four verbals (while possible, I'm not overly confident those will be the next three), A&M would move from 24th to sixth with 12 commits. Too much movement yet to come and (because things are so slow) way too much hype for the good and consternation with the teams not as high as their fan bases are used to seeing.

• And make no mistake, this recruiting cycle will likely include more decommitments than we're used to seeing. If there is no early Signing Day, we could be talking about a real 'decommitment season' as this will be a class heavy with defections across the country.

The programs that will be the best off are the ones who don't load up early on 'surprising' commits and generally stick to prospects who have let their recruitments play out over an extended period (even if that means without visits) and those who are either local (like Matthew Wykoff or in-state prospects for the Ags) or leaning your way for a good period of time (perhaps someone like Amari Daniels‍ out of Miami or even Tyreek Chappell out of Philly).

Another part of this to consider: If the Ags play well from the start and beat the teams they 'should' en route to Auburn — and we know they're not all going to be easy — they'll be in a better position than most to take advantage of any type of 'Decommit SZN' that occurs when prospects are finally on the move and attending college football games around the state and the country.

• One high-profile prospect who has already changed his mind is North Shore QB Dematrius Davis‍.

The two-time state champion flipped from Virginia Tech to Auburn last week. He's a winner, a playmaker and one of my favorite prospects in the state. Not quite a top-ten prospect in Texas but close. This pick up is a nice get for a division rival, and more interesting than a lot of the 'filler' commits I've seen other recruiting rivals pull over the past couple of weeks. The same can be said for OU nabbing a five-star receiver from Florida last week. Again, get used to the decommitments because you're going to see a lot more of them in the fall.

If a prospect commits somewhere and you're thinking, "I really don't think that one is going to stick" or, "Damn, that one came out of nowhere," there's probably a decent chance you're right.

Brian Perroni: A&M offer a big one for 4-star Clear Lake CB Julian Humphrey

The defensive back class in the state of Texas for 2022 already has a number of very highly-ranked prospects. Many of the top cornerbacks and safeties in the country hail from the Lone Star State. One of those is Julian Humphrey of Houston Clear Lake. The 6-foot-1, 185-pound defender, who is ranked No. 136 in the first Top247 for the class, picked up a big offer on Wednesday afternoon from Texas A&M and secondary coach TJ Rushing.

"Coach Rushing, he called my coach. Then my coach gave me his number for me to call him," Humphrey said. "That's when he told me they were offering me. It was huge. He said they've been liking me for a minute now. And ever since he saw me the first time he came down to watch me in January, he's been loving me since. He said he just couldn't wait any more to pull the trigger and offer me."

Humphrey has made the trip to Aggieland multiple times before and has come away impressed with what he has seen. "I've been there a couple times," he said. "I went there with Fast Houston, too. I loved it. I love the campus and everything. They gave us a tour of everywhere. They took us to the dorms the players live in and to the weight room. I had never been in the weight room or locker before that day. That was crazy."

In addition to A&M, Humphrey was also offered by USC earlier this week. "USC, coach Donte Williams, he called my coach too since they aren't allowed to call me yet," Humphrey said. "I called him and he gave me the big news. That was another really big one." Humphrey currently holds 15 early offers but that number could be going up soon. "I think Cincinnati is close (to offering)," he said. "They might actually offer me today. Oregon, they could be as well. Clemson has been really interested lately and so has Oklahoma."

Like every other prospect in the country, Humphrey has not been able to take visits during the current dead period. Once it is lifted, though, he has a number of trips in mind. "I'm going to be going to Texas A&M," he said. "I'm also going to be hitting up the Florida Gators, Georgia Tech and Alabama for sure. I'm going to go to other schools, too, but those are the ones for sure."

Though it is still early in the process, Humphrey admits a few of the schools that have offered stand out. "Right now, it's A&M, USC and Baylor," he said. "Arkansas and some others are up there as well. But I'm not close to making a decision or anything." Humphrey, whose older brother John played for Oklahoma, Arizona State and Nevada, was a first-team all-district selection as a sophomore this past season. He recorded 27 tackles, two tackles for loss, an interception, seven pass breakups, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

UGA hanging around with Grimes

Hide contents

EYf_s0LWAAAVGtG?format=png&name=360x360EYf_tQoX0AAIiWH?format=jpg&name=360x360EYf_ta5XYAAEolL?format=jpg&name=360x360EYf_tzvXsAEYcwH?format=jpg&name=360x360

Last minute add of UGA and he can’t drop a top 3 so he includes them...sure I guess “they’re way behind” is one way to look at it. One wildly naive and idiotic way to look at it. Another way to look at it would be something akin to “oh shit they’re paying and there’s now way for them to go from here but up.” 

also wasn’t the grimes CB from witfong? But yeah. No one knows shit. 

It's hilarious that we just offered this kid and they've been after him for over a year and they are sweating it out against Texas.  Definately will get a "knockout blow" gigem' headline and Looch will claim that Jimbo gets who he wants in the state and Hermansa can't do anything about it.

5 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Look, the haters are out in force as the Aggies are consistently targeted by Texas and the rest of the in-state programs that aren't part of the Southeastern Conference juggernaut. A&M is also targeted by natural recruiting rivals OU and LSU as each program's primary threat in the Lone Star State. Combine that with a media that seems more than willing to take shots at the Aggie head coach because their feelings were hurt that a school like Texas A&M could rip a national championship winner away from a football blueblood like Florida State, and you have the perfect storm working against the Aggies on the recruiting front. The spin and effort that has gone into attempting to undermine A&M's recruiting efforts is pretty remarkable, but all Fisher and his staff have done is sign the No. 3 and No. 6 classes, back-to-back.

The Aggies starting to climb again in 2021, and all I can say is this: Imagine if the Ags were to go out and win ten or more games this fall. It's a nightmare scenario that folks from Tuscaloosa to Austin and all points in between are doing everything in their power to prevent. If Jimbo and Co. continue to stockpile talent like he has been and start increasing the win total in Year Three and beyond, good luck with all that.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

247's explanation for dropping Vaka.  Should fit right in on that DL.

Junior film did not pop off the screen. Overweight and not as explosive or mobile as the other four-star defensive tackles," 

...so he's just a slow fat cow?

59 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Seriously. Any team complaining that covid hurts them most of all (especially one who's bringing OOS recruits to College fucking Station) is just trying to mask deeper flaws.

But sure, you were able to "rip a national championship winner away from Florida State" in the same year he got blown out by Boston College and had made every power broker and admin sick of his shit. OK.

Edited by texifornia

"A&M is also targeted by natural recruiting rivals OU and LSU as each program's primary threat in the Lone Star State. "

"... their feelings were hurt that a school like Texas A&M could rip a national championship winner away from a football blueblood like Florida State ..."

"It's a nightmare scenario that folks from Tuscaloosa to Austin and all points in between are doing everything in their power to prevent."

This stuff is pretty unbelievable.  Yeah, I know, Aggies ... but still.  A large number of people actually believe this? 

Quite incredible. 

• Like 1