Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

Even disregarding the height/anchor concerns, he was really bad at football when I watched him in full games. Didn't play through the whistle, ball watched while his guy made tackles, looked like a waist bender who was often off balance, got his ass kicked on some reps. He also appears to be getting less fluid and athletic as he's filling out. I think that if he'll ever be good, it'll be as an Orlando Brown take up space type, although will he be able to gain the needed weight to do that if he's trying to play basketball? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

BuT hE pLaYs BaSkEtBaLl

I am going to tip my hat to Looch and the aggy 247 guys for making this into a huge recruiting victory for their fans. He was all but committed to aggy as an 8th grader because they were the only ones truly indulging his basketball future nonsense. Also a tip of the cap to his pops who has driven a lot of the “interest” in him. 

Spoiler

Liucci

9:38a 

Staff

AG

Jimbo Fisher was hired to eventually do in College Station what he accomplished in Tallahassee: To construct a national power and win a national championship. Fisher knows better than anyone that doing so in the SEC West is a Herculean task, one that requires a whole bunch of 300-pound Hercules manning the trenches. The path out of the toughest division and by far the most physical conference in college football requires winning the line of scrimmage, there's no way around it.  

Fisher, Josh Henson and the Aggies are on a noticeably-accelerated race to excellence of late, with the last few commitments along the offensive line featuring guys who were coveted by not only the A&M staff but also power programs across the country. On Monday, the Maroon Goons took a giant step towards fielding a championship offensive line when Richmond Foster tackle Reuben Fatheree chose the Ags over LSU, Oklahoma, Texas and virtually every top-25 program in America.

A priority target for the A&M staff for what feels like close to two years now, Fatheree is a rare offensive tackle prospect, the type who doesn't come around very often. They just don't make too many 6-8, 300-plus pound bookends and when you find one, seldom does said tackle possess the blend of athletic, physical and cerebral/character traits that 'Deuce' brings to the table. That's why he held committable offers from the aforementioned programs plus the likes of Notre Dame, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan and USC.

Fatheree is already somewhere in the 305-pound range and, per a recent twitter post, looks to have filled out considerably since I last saw him. His frame will fill out with ease once he's in a college weight room but it's Reuben's God-given talent and coach's son work ethic that the likes of Fisher, Kelly, Riley, Orgeron, Smart, Saban, Christobal and Harbaugh knocking on the door. It goes without saying that Deuce's length and reach are uncommon attributes. He's not only 6-8, he's 6-8 with very long and arms and large hands...what you'd expect from an athlete who also happens to be a nationally-recruited big on the hardwood (more on that in a moment). Oftentimes, offensive and defensive linemen who are as tall as Fatheree lose something in the way of leverage, power and even agility. Not Fatheree. His athleticism, flexibility and footwork are off-the-charts good, to the point that several longtime observers have told me his flexibility and bend are shockingly good for a blocker his size. On top of the natural gifts, Reuben is a finisher. A gentle giant off the field, the towering tackle plays with a nasty streak from snap to whistle, regularly moving front seven defenders out of the box and several yards downfield before depositing them into the turf. While Fatheree has a physical style about him and is only getting stronger (this is where you're going to see him make the biggest strides between now and two years from now when he's entering his second season in Maroon & White), what might get him on the field the fastest is that it might not take him long at all to become a truly elite pass blocker. Opposing pass-rushers - even the future First-Rounders of the SEC - are likely to have a very hard time getting around someone with Deuce's wingspan and footwork.

As far as where Fatheree lands in this year's loaded Texas crop, the big man deserves mention with the very best in class. He's a state top-10 or top-15 talent overall (I've got him sitting at No. 9 in the current 'Liucci 44' and he checks in at No. 8 on the TexAgs' Composite rankings) and is the No. 2-ranked pure tackle in the Lone Star State, trailing only five-star Tommy Brockermeyer. Even then, some insiders believe Fatheree's upside may be even higher when you factor in the uncoachable physical gifts and the fact that he's also one of the state's most decorated two-sport stars and spends much of his off-season on the hardwood. Give Deuce a couple of springs and summers under Jerry Schmidt's tutelage and him eventually taking the field at somewhere in the 6-8, 325 (very lean)-pound range is almost a given. A current NFLer who Fatheree favors is two-time Super Champ and former New England Patriot first-rounder Nate Solder. He's also drawn comparisons to Hall of Famer Jonathan Ogden, who played for the Ravens at somewhere around 6-9 and 340 pounds for the bulk of his legendary career. That's lofty praise and obviously the dream for both the Aggies and Fatheree but the similarities are there. It's what insiders mean when they talk about Reuben's unlimited upside. 

I mentioned Deuce spending his off-seasons on the court. Well, the newest Aggie was also recruited by Buzz Williams so we could see him on the hardwood, as well. That's entirely up to Fatheree, who has averaged over 15 points, nearly 12 boards and 4 blocks per game in his first three seasons as a varsity starter. He'll leave Foster as a four-year starter in both basketball and football and will likely become a four-time All-District pick in both sports, something I'm not sure I've seen from anyone outside of maybe former Texas Longhorn DE Jackson Jeffcoat when it comes to playing at the 5A or 6A level.

Deuce represents a game-changing addition to the Class of '21 for multiple reasons. For starters, he's a guy with All-SEC potential and unlimited upside at one of the two positions that were in most dire need of being addressed during this cycle. He also represents a very important head-to-head win over division rival LSU - with the Tigers riding the national title wave, no less. Look, the Aggies are trying to catch the likes of LSU, Alabama and Georgia and in order to do, Fisher knows that A&M has to regularly win the heavyweight battles on a regular basis...especially when said battles are waged in the Houston area. Oklahoma was also a primary player for Reuben's commit, so getting over on Bill Bedenbaugh for a third or fourth time since the start of last year's race (the Sooners also coveted Akinola Oguynbiyi and Chris Morris) is a development that need not be overlooked. OU may not be a rival on the field, but Lincoln Riley is certainly a worthy adversary on the recruiting front. Advantage, A&M - something that Fisher and Henson hope bears repeating later in the process (more on that in a moment).

The addition of Fatheree gives the Aggies three offensive line commits in the Class of '21. He joins recent addition Matthew Wykoff of Magnolia and longtime pledge Trey Zuhn, the No. 2-ranked prospect in Colorado. Inking five is almost a certainty for the Aggies in the trenches on NSD and there's even the possibility of six if it's the right group. In all reality, however, the Ags are 3/5 of the way home here and are picking up steam.

Speaking of momentum, second-year Aggie o-line coach Josh Henson is on quite the recruiting roll. Despite being the target of consistent negative recruiting from the likes of OU, LSU, Arkansas and Texas, Henson has landed a total of five pledges since taking over for Jim Turner in College Station. The list now includes Akinola Oguynbiyi (a flip from Georgia's No. 3 class last year), Chris Morris (the No. 1 player in Arkansas chose the Ags over OU, Bama and Tennessee), Zuhn (offers from Ohio State, ND, Michigan and OU), Wykoff (finalists included USC, Penn State, Auburn and Texas) and beat out many of those same foes for the coveted commitment from Fatheree.

Gaining traction in the recruiting race on a local, state and national level is always important but that's especially so this time around. The shutdown on visits, camps and other spring/summer events has led to high-profile commitments being announced virtually daily over the past six weeks...with each twitter or Instagram announcement seeming to move the needle much more so than in past years. So when a player like Reuben Fatheree announces his decision to attend Texas A&M, well, it's pretty impactful in terms of momentum and the Aggies generating some real 'juice' with other prospects perhaps leaning the way of the Maroon & White. That's especially so with his pledge coming on the heels of the Ags landing fellow Texas blue-chips Matthew Wykoff and Deuce Harmon in the past two weeks. Fatheree also happens to be one of the more respected, well-known and popular high school athletes in the Houston area and his addition is sure to get the attention of fellow nationally-recruited Houston blocker and good friend Bryce Foster of Katy Taylor and Cy-Fair tailback L.J. Johnson, both of whom could be consensus five-stars by the time the national services catch up to their talent.

Up next for the Aggies? Pennsylvania cornerback Tyreek Chappell is set to announce on July 4 and the Ags are sitting in a pretty good spot here but will have fend off Tennessee. There are also a few others to keep a close eye prior to Day, including Miami tailback Amari Daniels, Philadelphia products Donovan McMillon and Taleeq Robbins and perhaps even the aforementioned L.J. Johnson. Fisher and Co. were on a recruiting roll before today but adding Fatheree - one of the nation's premier prospects at his position - has the potential to create an avalanche of momentum.

It appears Jimbo is going to take a OL class of projected OTs. He's got 3, if Sheppard can get his shit together that is 4. I will say that Jimbo's recruiting strategy along the OL is intriguing. Completely ignore 2 spots on the OL for 3 years and then take a bunch of projects.

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I am going to tip my hat to Looch and the aggy 247 guys for making this into a huge recruiting victory for their fans. He was all but committed to aggy as an 8th grader because they were the only ones truly indulging his basketball future nonsense. Also a tip of the cap to his pops who has driven a lot of the “interest” in him. 

Pretty sure he gave LSU a silent at one point, or at least told them that they were the leaders. I'm wondering if LSU passed. Shea just said that LSU was recruiting him hard, but I'm wondering if his info is outdated; they lead for another tackle, and are in the top group for three or four more 

Just now, Fud said:

Pretty sure he gave LSU a silent at one point, or at least told them that they were the leaders. I'm wondering if LSU passed. Shea just said that LSU was recruiting him hard, but I'm wondering if his info is outdated; they lead for another tackle, and are in the top group for three or four more 

Probably wouldn't take his commitment. He's a decent prospect, but if you have 4-5 more options coming off a NC and the 2020 NFL draft, you don't take his commitment right now.

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

My impression is that a lot of the information was coming from Pops and that the level of actual interest from schools vs. what was reported via discussions with Pops was very different. Notre Dame for example.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Fatheree has no bend and can't move laterally. Unfortunately for him it's not something you can correct because he's outgrowing football.

We need Jackson to go somewhere else and that would be a total whiff if the best tackle prospect they land is Fatheree. Does Jimbo have something against tackles that can move? 

Beautiful 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

He's a state top-10 or top-15 talent overall (I've got him sitting at No. 9 in the current 'Liucci 44' and he checks in at No. 8 on the TexAgs' Composite rankings) and is the No. 2-ranked pure tackle in the Lone Star State, trailing only five-star Tommy Brockermeyer. Even then, some insiders believe Fatheree's upside may be even higher when you factor in the uncoachable physical gifts and the fact that he's also one of the state's most decorated two-sport stars and spends much of his off-season on the hardwood.

Wait, is he actually saying some "insiders" feel Fatheree upside is higher than Tommy's??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Billy's take on Fatheree tells me he has never seen him actually play football. He's got the physical frame for sure, but one would struggle to find worse footwork or blocking technique in a OT.  As for the "nasty" side or athletic "bend", those comments are just laughable at this point.  The base is there, but coaches going to have to work some magic on this one. This is a basketball player who only plays football because he also happens to like to eat large meals.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Like 1

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Billy's take on Fatheree tells me he has never seen him actually play football. He's got the physical frame for sure, but one would struggle to find worse footwork or blocking technique in a OT.  As for the "nasty" side of athletic "bend", those comments are just laughable at this point.  The base is there, but coaches going to have to work some magic on this one. This is a basketball player who only plays football because he also happens to like to eat large meals.

Billy has seen him play football.

Texags subscribers are that gullible. It's the perfect business model. Texags has been telling its subscribers they're recruiting championship level players for over 20 years. 

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Billy's take on Fatheree tells me he has never seen him actually play football. He's got the physical frame for sure, but one would struggle to find worse footwork or blocking technique in a OT.  As for the "nasty" side or athletic "bend", those comments are just laughable at this point.  The base is there, but coaches going to have to work some magic on this one. This is a basketball player who only plays football because he also happens to like to eat large meals.

And when he starts to fall in the rankings because he's not very good at football and his athleticism begins to wane as he fills out, Looch will be crying to high heaven.

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Billy has seen him play football.

Texags subscribers are that gullible. It's the perfect business model. Texags has been telling its subscribers they're recruiting championship level players for over 20 years. 

Yes, their version of Colt McCoy could only get them to 3rd in their division. Which has been the apex of their time in the SEC.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

And when he starts to fall in the rankings because he's not very good at football and his athleticism begins to wane as he fills out, Looch will be crying to high heaven.

Looks like his highest ranking is on 247 as a 93.  Will be interesting to see what they do when they update the offensive player rankings in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like his highest ranking is on 247 as a 93.  Will be interesting to see what they do when they update the offensive player rankings in a few weeks.

Wiltfong is not going to let his ranking fall far on 247. He's already come to aggy247 to comment on it.

Monster recruiting win here.

To be honest I thought LSU was in a better position earlier this spring. I may have been wrong there in that moment but either way, Aggies needed to win this one and got it done

The Office Reaction GIF

26 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Billy's job is not to watch the recruits and accurately report what the truth is. Billy's job is to report to his rubes exactly what they want to hear, which doesn't require, and is often counter productive to what they want to hear, knowing or telling them the truth about a recruit.

It works well in the world of aggies because they believe him, but the fun part is that Billy's message gets out to the public and we all get to see how fucking ridiculous it is.

Billy obviously doesn't care how ridiculous it looks to the rest of the world, since the aggies $9.95 checks keep cashing every month, and he gets to keep his sideline pass at the tacklebox to continue the ruse.

39 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

One of the coaches lives in my parents neighborhood and stated the same thing. Extremely level headed kid who works hard, but footwork is a mess. Could be a great player for A&M. 

this is the outcome of Looch and 247 and the Fatheree discussions, you have these takes from the aggy faithful 

via Hermit1 ::

There are quite simply not anywhere near 16 better OT prospects in the country. He's easily in the top four or five. Where I think he gets discounted is in his power base but that is most assuredly coming with a genuine CFB training program. It's the things you can't train/teach about his game that separate him from all but a small handful of prospects. He's really a 5T type of athlete with an OT frame and technique. Quite rare and although there have been some great ones at A&M not sure there's ever been one quite like this.

Magnificent. 

• Like 2

Boosz71 ::

You will not find a OT with more upside. His physical traits are 5??. Needs some grooming and polishing but I don’t see why he won’t be a 1st rounder

from super insider Imart ::

let's focus on Fatheree. He's got #1 overall pick in the NFL potential; great family; great kid; and, he's staying home.

tcmay ::

Fatheree is a brain dead no questions asked NFL player unless something veers way off course. He's beautiful.

Foster on top of the other three and then Shep down the road and that's a hell of a massive OL haul.

Surprised Fatheree pulled the trigger this early given who has been all over him lately, but hell yeah.

ppp38 ::

There is no tackle instate that has the upside of Reuben Fatheree, with the right coaching this kid is a monster LT. I really love him and Zuhn as the bookends for us at tackle. Foster is a must land and then get an instant impact guy like Shep and its one helluva class

• Like 1

I guess that means maybe aggy isn't a lock to get Taleeq Robbins? what will that mean for Tyreek Chappell another east coast ag lock? Or would they just take Vaka, Robbins, and Regis? If they took all 3 their numbers are going to be fucking FUBAR'd. 

fwiw - I had to go back and check, so this bump came 11 days after the massive "defensive update" on 247. if you ever wanted an example of the FongElko bump, this is a clear example. 

something here seems off --- I can't put my finger on it ... 

nahhh.png

Shrugging What Had Happened Was GIF

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

fwiw - I had to go back and check, so this bump came 11 days after the massive "defensive update" on 247. if you ever wanted an example of the FongElko bump, this is a clear example. 

something here seems off --- I can't put my finger on it ... 

nahhh.png

Shrugging What Had Happened Was GIF

The 247 backend doesn’t always work right and shows the wrong date for stuff, that bump happened when they did the “defensive update”. I remember looking at it and wondering who the hell he was. 

54 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Didn't realize Fatheree is the aggy's 2nd highest rated commit.

This class is VERY bread-y. They haven't been able to land the top-level mercenaries they were getting (even if it was a good thing for them like missing on Terrence Lewis) so the only guys they're getting are the usual mix of guys who grew up fans (Banks, Zuhn, Wykoff), properly-rated 3-stars (Garza, Seegers), and guys other teams slow-played (Vaka, Harmon, Harris). Stowers... not sure whether any other big teams were really after him, and who knows how much LSU actually wanted Fatheree.

Edited by texifornia

35 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This class is VERY bread-y. They haven't been able to land the very top-level mercenaries they were getting (even if it was a good thing for them like missing on Terrence Lewis) and the only in-state guys they're getting are the usual mix of guys who grew up fans (Banks, Zuhn, Wykoff), properly-rated 3-stars (Garza, Seegers), and guys other teams slow-played (Vaka, Harmon, Harris). Stowers... not sure whether any other big teams were really after him, and who knows how much LSU actually wanted Fatheree.

There doesn’t seem to be many contract players this year in Texas. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

This class is VERY bread-y. They haven't been able to land the top-level mercenaries they were getting (even if it was a good thing for them like missing on Terrence Lewis) so the only guys they're getting are the usual mix of guys who grew up fans (Banks, Zuhn, Wykoff), properly-rated 3-stars (Garza, Seegers), and guys other teams slow-played (Vaka, Harmon, Harris). Stowers... not sure whether any other big teams were really after him, and who knows how much LSU actually wanted Fatheree.

I mean, and add in heavy aggy leans/bought mercs like Taleeq Robbins, Chappell, Amari Daniels, Crownover, MJ Daniels ( whoever else I'm missing?? ) and yeah, yikes.  Not even getting LJ Johnson can offset that.

8 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Guys you are all missing aggy's master plan. As Billy said, all the good commits are going to decomitt since they haven't taken visits. Where else are the going to go that has so many spots?

Plan GIF by memecandy

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looch saying Harmon is the #1 CB in the state, pretty sure he was saying the same about Ibraheem back in February when he thought aggy was getting him.

Why stop there.. Stowers is also the best QB in state, Banks is the best WR in state, Fatheree has the highest ceiling at OT, thus the best OT in state..  If they get Turner, he too would be the best DE in the state... rinse, repeat, profit?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Why stop there.. Stowers is also the best QB in state, Banks is the best WR in state, Fatheree has the highest ceiling at OT, thus the best OT in state..  If they get Turner, he too would be the best DE in the state... rinse, repeat, profit?

i mean

in the Looch 44...

• Turner is the #2 DL (#7 in the State) - #19 in the composite
  • Stowers is the top QB (#8 in State) - #30 in the composite
  • Shadrick Banks is the #1 WR (#10 in State) 
  • Duce Harmon is the #1 CB (#18 in state) - Ibraheem is #33 - Harmon is #44 in composite

Bowman is legit my favorite of the Looch 44. He has him at #20 in the State. Composite has him at #34 OVERALL and #6 in the State. he has Byrd as #19 in State (#32 OVERALL in composite, #5 in State)

edit: forgot to add his "underrated" guys to this list

Caleb Ellis is #32 in the Looch 44. He is #943 in the composite and #136 in Texas composite. 247 specifically has him in the 150s

Jack Leyrer is #44 in the Looch 44 and #835 in composite, #112 Texas. 247 specifically has him in the 170s in state.

he has someone named John Paul Richardson from Missouri City at #40 overall in the State - the same guy who is #1165 in composite and #183 in composite. Wouldn't this be the most underrated player in the country if he was "properly" ranked per Looch? The #40 player in the composite in Texas (Bryson Green) is a top 250 overall composite player. 

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean

in the Looch 44...

• Duce Harmon is the #1 CB (#18 in state) - Ibraheem is #33 - Harmon is #44 in composite

Bowman is legit my favorite of the Looch 44. He has him at #20 in the State. Composite has him at #34 OVERALL and #6 in the State. he has Byrd as #19 in State (#32 OVERALL in composite, #5 in State)

Caleb Ellis is #32 in the Looch 44. He is #943 in the composite and #136 in Texas composite. 247 specifically has him in the 150s

Jack Leyrer is #44 in the Looch 44 and #835 in composite, #112 Texas. 247 specifically has him in the 170s in state.

he has someone named John Paul Richardson from Missouri City at #40 overall in the State - the same guy who is #1165 in composite and #183 in composite. Wouldn't this be the most underrated player in the country if he was "properly" ranked per Looch? The #40 player in the composite in Texas (Bryson Green) is a top 250 overall composite player. 

Funnily enough, a few of our coaches recently started following Richardson on Twitter. Not exactly a thrilling offer list: https://247sports.com/Player/John-Paul-Richardson-46050019/

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean

in the Looch 44...

I bet Wykoff ends up as the #3 OT in state as well.  

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean

in the Looch 44...

Well? Watch. The. Tape. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Funnily enough, a few of our coaches recently started following Richardson on Twitter. Not exactly a thrilling offer list: https://247sports.com/Player/John-Paul-Richardson-46050019/

From his 247 page:

Connections

• Bucky RichardsonFATHER

Former Texas A&M quarterback

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

On 6/1/2020 at 9:45 AM, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

. He'll leave Foster as a four-year starter in both basketball and football and will likely become a four-time All-District pick in both sports, something I'm not sure I've seen from anyone outside of maybe former Texas Longhorn DE Jackson Jeffcoat when it comes to playing at the 5A or 6A level.

Pretty sure Mahomes was all state in basketball, football, baseball his senior year. This doesn't negate Billy's point because Billy is always right, but Mahomes did play in the BDF so who cares right?

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Right, and Ish just picked up corner. Harmon is much closer to a finished product than Ibraheem. 

also one guy is listed at 5'9" and the other one at 6'1"

there is generally inherent ceiling when you are that short on you as a player - unless you are going up against Malcolm Epps that is.