Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Perroni putting in an Aggie CB pick for Kendal Daniels.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.c74bf553eb5a0f9c6a44cde9ac556708.png

This has been weird because the aggy guys have been slow to move while the OU boards have been melting for a week about losing Daniles to aggy. I don't know if Drumm and Perroni don't communicate or what but it's been a long hot melt on the Sooner boards as they continue to lose the top defensive player in the state, now for the 4th year in a row.

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

they wanted him badly, but have been recruiting him with the LB coach (Odom) and that appears to have been the death knell. He really wants to play S. 

"Once again Jimbo shows what real recruiting is and making power moves.  Daniels would no doubt be the top Safety in Texas and Jimbo once again goes beyond the borders to secure a top recruit" - Looch.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

need to dig up Looch's write up about his guy. I'm sure he was already forecasting him as a multi year starter and better than Angilou

Here is Tarp 247

Montgomery (Park Crossing), Alabama offensive guard Tank Jenkins is exactly the type of player that teams need to compete in the SEC.

Jenkins played right tackle in high school and at 6 foot 3, 325 pounds has both a massive base and upper body. He is the type of player that when he gets his hands up and extends them that you’re not going to stalemate him. In particular, when he is able to come off of the ball with pad level and inside position people they get moved off of the line of scrimmage.

He can come off of the ball better than you think which enables him to get his bulk into people. Surprisingly, Jenkins is somewhat light on his feet. He can get them going coming out of his stance and keeping them moving while he’s pushing defenders around. Nonetheless, he is a straight line player as opposed to someone who can step laterally and beat people in gaps on zone blocking or kick step in pass protection. He is going to be someone who can get his hands on people and use his massive upper body and arms to drive block defenders off of the ball.

Jenkins tends to play high coming off of the ball and doesn’t sit down well in pass protection at times. Even so, he is an excellent run blocker who will eventually win matchups versus SEC interior defenders by overpowering them and displace them which will allow the Aggies more latitude and less finesse in their red zone and short yardage play calling.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

"Once again Jimbo shows what real recruiting is and making power moves.  Daniels would no doubt be the top Safety in Texas and Jimbo once again goes beyond the borders to secure a top recruit" - Looch.

One of them already had content out about having the top rated recruit in Arkansas and a couple of other states. He can just bump that with a little new stuff about Daniels. 

TuggerNuts ::

So after this year, we lose:
Anderson - Grad
C. Green - Grad
Moore - Grad
Hocker - Grad
McCollum - Grad
Jenkins - Transfer

Leaving us with:
Trainor
K. Green
Clement
Robinson
Jefferson
Bankhead
Reed
Blanton
Matthews
Morris

And any guys from the 21 class. And minus any of those others who decide to transfer/retire. 

I would not be surprised to see Reed leave as a grad transfer and Blanton to retire/medical. Clement and Jefferson are just biding time at this point. Looks like Wykoff and Zuhn go directly on the 2-deep as TR FR to me. 

I really expected Grayson Reed to be really good. I really liked him as a recruit and in that first spring game (or was it his RS year?) either way, he came out and was just beasting and looked like the best OL on the roster and then ...   nothing. like a ghost. I don't know if there's an underlying injury issue or he just doesn't give a fuck but man, he looked like he was going to be a badass. I guess he could simply turn it on at any point and become a draft pick as easily as he could grad transfer but he has tremendous athletic talent. 

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

TuggerNuts ::

I would not be surprised to see Reed leave as a grad transfer and Blanton to retire/medical. Clement and Jefferson are just biding time at this point. Looks like Wykoff and Zuhn go directly on the 2-deep as TR FR to me. 

I really expected Grayson Reed to be really good. I really liked him as a recruit and in that first spring game (or was it his RS year?) either way, he came out and was just beasting and looked like the best OL on the roster and then ...   nothing. like a ghost. I don't know if there's an underlying injury issue or he just doesn't give a fuck but man, he looked like he was going to be a badass. I guess he could simply turn it on at any point and become a draft pick as easily as he could grad transfer but he has tremendous athletic talent. 

Holy shit that looks awful for any Tackles next year.  I don't even know 2 from that group that should see the field playing Tackle.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

4 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

That Perroni post is awesome.  "Yes, OU backed off because they see him at LB, as does Clemson in the Isaiah Simmons role.  It's true aggy is the only school that'll tell him he can play safety, oh, and by the way, he also likes A&M."

Come to aggy, where safeties play corner, linebackers play safety,  and students play army.   

tenor.gif

How many recruits does aggy get a year by being the only team to promise somebody that they'll play in one place and then a practice or two in they are moved where everyone else thought they should be.

Mostly DE->DT and CB->Safety but I'm sure there's a bunch more 

11 minutes ago, blacklab said:

How many recruits does aggy get a year by being the only team to promise somebody that they'll play in one place and then a practice or two in they are moved where everyone else thought they should be.

OG->OT

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Jimbo's spin up approach is dictated on the thought that the spread offense craze is a fad that is ending. Even though LSU and Alabama, the last known bastions of 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses in the P5 conferences, have moved to variations of the spread.

37 minutes ago, blacklab said:

They did it with Devon Achane last cycle. Most schools wanted him as as a slot WR, aggy took him as a RB.

They also took Vernon Jackson as a RB, when pretty much everyone else was recruiting him as a DL. He never played though because of a career ending injury and then he got arrested for choking his ex-girlfriend.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

They did it with Devon Achane last cycle. Most schools wanted him as as a slot WR, aggy took him as a RB.

They also took Vernon Jackson as a RB, when pretty much everyone else was recruiting him as a DL. He never played though because of a career ending injury and then he got arrested for choking his ex-girlfriend.

Aaron Hansford was recruited as a TE and then immediately moved to LB

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did they tell Kenyon green he was an OT, or was that just the 9.95ers bleating they line?

They told him he'd start as a FR. Hence, him playing as a FR even when their offense was better when Ryan McCollum was in the game. It was part of Shepherd's bitchassedness at UT - that his bro Kenyon was "already playing". 

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

ahh - he missed Chibuzo and Akinola, which still doesn't fix the OT dilemma. but we've been talking about that for 3 years. 

I got to come back to this again.  Who out of that bunch is going to be the starting 5?  Green and ????   Geeze that has the makings of a worse line than they had this past season and resemble some of those late Mack/Strong OL's. Throw in a 1st year QB who will probably have limited live game action and that's going to be a disaster.  Why the fuck would LJ want to go play in that offense??  I can see Demas goong Leon O'Neal on the sidelines.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, golfclap said:

They told him he'd start as a FR. Hence, him playing as a FR even when their offense was better when Ryan McCollum was in the game. It was part of Shepherd's bitchassedness at UT - that his bro Kenyon was "already playing". 

The difference being Texas told Shepherd to compete and aggy told Green he didn't have to. What must be shocking for Shepherd is how both of those things came true

• Like 2

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

4:04p 

Staff

- I spoke to a pair of sources today surrounding the recruitment of Beggs (OK) S Kendal Daniels. I know Looch provided an update on his feel of the situation in a thread earlier, but I've been able to gather intel to piggyback on his claims of this thing trending in A&M's way. The reason for that, as I was told, is due to the work of Mike Elko and Ish Aristide over the course of the recruiting process. It's been immense, and it's been tireless. The highly touted safety has built an unparalleled rapport with the Aggie staff, and the conversations with the defensive coaches, as well as with Jimbo Fisher, has been consistent both in its message and timing. My source was fairly certain the home state Sooners weren't just going to give this one up, though. There's still recruiting to be done ahead of the planned August 1st decision. 

- Howell has been all over the recruitment of 2022 Garland safety Chace Biddle, but I was told by a DFW source that A&M is in great early standing there. Staying at safety in that class, don't expect the Aggies to stop recruiting Beaumont West Brook stud Bryce Anderson just because his verbal commitment lies with LSU. A southeast Texas contact of mine believes the A&M staff has made it clear how highly they think of Bryce, and they'll continue to put their best foot forward and prioritize him as part of their 2022 efforts. 

And Billy

You seem confident that Dreyden Norwood‍ will be a good cornerback, but most of his highlights are playing quarterback. Why are you so confident?

He has the ideal skillset for the position. Size, quickness, change of direction, hips, speed, ball skills are elite, long arms and a competitor, football player and winner. There's also more defensive tape and probably some tape of him training out there that colleges are seeing. There is game film of him in coverage that you're not seeing on highlight tapes because teams aren't throwing his way.

That's a win over Auburn and, yes, Georgia is what it really is. Along with offers from OU, Miami, Notre Dame and TCU. Honestly, he's the type who many wouldn't have batted an eye had he gone from the state of Arkansas to Auburn or UGA or even somewhere like TCU.

You sign guys like Norwood and Tyreek Chappell‍ in the secondary every chance you get. Think about the Aggie DBs who have played in the last few seasons prior to last year. Very few could do what those guys can on both sides of the ball. They weren't quite fast or athletic enough to put out that kind of tape. A&M is recruiting a different cut of athlete back there now.

If the season gets canceled this year, will there be more scholarship players allowed on campus next year?

Yes. They'll figure it out. As you saw last week, the SEC is already saying that if a player decides not to play this season, his scholarship will be honored in 2021. They're going to have to figure out a way to make it work with extra 'ships in '21 — especially if the season is cut short — while keeping it fair across the board. Not an easy task.

What's interesting is that the Ags don't really have any guys as seniors who would really benefit by leaving school early and passing on their final season at A&M, which would mean the Ags would get the better end of such a situation, should it arise.

Is Sully affecting recruiting?

You'd be naive to think it wasn't on some level. It's something the coaches will have to answer questions about on the recruiting front until there's a resolution either way. 

To steal a topic from the board: What are your top 3 and bottom 3 sports memories? Doesn't have to be Ag related

A&M:

(Good) — The Shot, beating Louisville at Rupp to go to the Sweet 16, Big 12 title game win, Nebraska '98 win, Alabama win, Johnny claiming the Heisman, LSU 74-72, OU win in '02, Bonfire Game

(Bad) — Aggies blowing historic lead vs. UCLA, the loss to Memphis in the Sweet 16, loss to Purdue in Spokane, OU loss in 2000

Non-A&M:

(Good) — Astros WS in '17 (I attended Game 5 in Houston and Game 2 in LA...incredible), Rockets back to back, Mets World Series win over Boston in '86 (particularly Game 6)

(Bad) — Oilers blowing historic playoff lead vs. Bills, Astros dropping Game 7 of last year's WS (I was in the building and ready to celebrate), UH losing to NC State on the last-second putback. I was a young kid in Houston who LOVED Phi Slamma Jamma.

It didn't seem our special teams were particularly good last year, especially in kick-off and punt coverage. What steps do you think will be taken to improve that area of the team?

Well, for starters, improved depth at linebacker and in the secondary. Last year, one of the things that went unnoticed had to do with Roney Elam leaving the team, Larry Pryor hanging ‘em up during the season, Derrick Tucker, Brian Johnson and Roshauud Paul deciding to redshirt after four games, Baylor Cupp, Jashaun Corbin and Max Wright being injured. I think there were a couple of more hits to the Ags' special teams units, as well. That takes a pretty significant toll when you lose that many contributors at once and it showed, as you said.

Why didn't Jimbo go after Dematrius Davis‍ this year as their second QB in the class? If they'd like to do that either this year or next as has been reported, it seems like Davis would be the perfect candidate, both because of his play on the field and his influence as a recruit. I have as much faith in Jimbo as anyone, but I can't imagine us being able to land a better 2nd QB next year.

You're assuming that the Ags could get Davis and Eli Stowers‍ in the same class. That seemed like a possibility early on, but I still think it was going to be far-fetched. You could've said the same about Kyron Drones‍ (also a state champion at Shadow Creek, A&M ties and a Baylor commit), but I just think two of that caliber would be a tough pull with everyone that would be recruiting them. If they take two next year, it will still be that way. Probably aim for a very big name and then one of those unique kids who is confident enough to walk into the most competitive of situations without the sky-high ranking or pedigree that would give the other, more high-profile guy second thoughts. QB recruiting is a tough business right now, so you have to play your hand very carefully each and every cycle. Jimbo made his pick very early with Stowers knowing he could have landed Jalen Milroe‍ at any moment and likely could have gotten Davis or Drones, as well. The Ags have never wavered and I can see why.

Assuming we play this year, who has more offensive yards from scrimmage in their true freshman season, Demas or Achane?

I'll go with Demas as far as yards from scrimmage and Achane all-purpose.

Call me crazy but a 10 game all-SEC schedule is an upgrade over the original. If you got to pick the additional two assuming it has to be balanced, who would you choose?

I agree with that, if you can play all ten. If you were talking balance, I'd say adding Mizzou and Tennessee would be pretty ideal.

Based on scheme and TE development success, shouldn't Jimbo go after the best national TEs every year? No one else can compare to his recent track record.

I would say that about TE and running back considering his past use of both and even during the first two years at A&M. Getting LJ Johnson Jr‍ this year and Donovan Green‍ in 2022 would be a huge step and is very possible. It would also give Coley an actual recruiting cycle, and he'll make big noise at tight end given the Ags' use at the position. Remember, he hasn't really even had the chance to see any of these guys in person, much less live on the field since arriving just before a recruiting shutdown.

Who wins more in year one: Kiffin or Leach?

I've said before that — for whatever reason — I think it's Kiffin, but I'm going back and forth on that one because of the work Leach has done at all of his stops. Both of those games are still going to be tough for the Ags because they'll be facing offensive-minded coaches with some dangerous weapons at QB and RB. The receivers will emerge in those systems as they're set up to succeed. Tough, but both are also games the Ags should win, which would be 5-1 against the Mississippi schools in three years under Jimbo.

How does it feel living in a college town while all this is going down and not traveling? Do you go out much, are most places open, etc.

It's honestly been tough being stranded here when I'm used to getting around a lot more during this time of year. Especially if you would have told me there would have been so little going on in terms of sports and recruiting. Not a lot going on here, and not nearly as much in the way of folks coming into town, but we're all dealing with unprecedented crap right now, so it is what it is. I have enough friends here to stay as busy as I want to be, so that's good.

Who is your biggest personal miss (as in a player that you didn't rate very high coming out of HS but ended up balling in college or NFL) in covering Aggie football all these years/ biggest personal hit?

I'd say my top three misses at A&M in recent years would be Mike Evans (I thought he was underrated but never would have imagined), Landis Durham (dude led the freaking SEC with double-digit sacks!) and Patrick Lewis. Big hits include Ryan Swope, Ryan Tannehill (I called him being an NFL QB very early and long before he was a first-rounder prior to his final season as a starter) and either Ainias Smith or Wydermyer, who were grossly underrated by the services and could become stars.

Who is the most competitive Aggie football player you have ever met?

Johnny Manziel. There have been a ton of them. Too many to list. But Johnny, Mike and Swope were three guys at the same time who were way up there. If I'm going eras, some who stand out before the SEC group were Stephen McGee, pretty much the entire damn '98 team, Pat Lewis, Sean Porter, Von Miller, Ryan Tannehill, T-Murph, Reggie Brown, Ed Jasper, Chris Dausin, the Big Truth (few matched him in this regard), Ray Mickens...and on and on. Too many to mention, but those are a few who jumped out at me without thinking too much.

Any chance the SEC lets its teams keep 2 OOC games?

Yes, that's definitely something in play. So is the “nine conf and one OOC” model. Then again, so are replacing lost games and playing 12. I personally think it's going to get shaved down to around ten games or even conference-only before all is said and done, but we shall see. I believe a push back until October as something that will happen in the next two weeks or so, however.

A 9-10 game SEC schedule seems unfair for our league since we have tougher competition.

I think it normally does, but during this unique season, it really doesn't matter. If there's going to eventually be a playoff and some teams aren't playing non-conference games — or let's say no one is for the sake of argument — it's too hard to compare across conferences, so the committee will almost under no circumstance pick two teams from the same league unless there was carnage in other leagues and several two-loss teams under consideration versus two from the SEC that went unbeaten with one losing only in the conference title game. That's far-fetched. It's likely going to be one each from four of the five Power 5 conferences, which is why I think the SEC should go ahead and take it one step further and add a conference playoff (four or six teams) for this year only.

If you were recruiting a new name for the Redskins what would you choose?

Hadn't thought about that at all. Maybe the Red Faces with how embarrassing things are going right now for that franchise under Dan Snyder.

What's the worst venue you've ever watched an Aggie football game? And why Baylor?

Old Floyd Casey was pretty bad, but in fairness, I have heard the new stadium is pretty good. I've always thought DKR was the worst 80-100k stadium I've been to in terms of atmosphere, intimidation and crowd noise. Still is. ut the worst venue I would say would be the damn Independence Bowl. Vandy was pretty bad too.

Why do some think an all-conference schedule would decrease exposure to COVID? That seems insane.

It does seem ridiculous. So Iowa can play Maryland or Rutgers but not Iowa State, and there would somehow be less risk of spread? The reasoning has to do with uniform testing protocol within a conference, which is why I think the spineless-ass NCAA should have stepped up long ago — as in months ago — and begun the path towards uniform third-party testing across the sport. They didn't, maybe because the asshats were too busy chasing down A&M and Jimbo for secondary violations that didn't give any sort of competitive advantage. Look, if a non-conference opponent's testing protocol doesn't match what you're comfortable with, then cancel THAT game. Some teams would play 11, others 12, and everyone could maneuver to figure out how to replace a game if they had to. In the instance of something like A&M-ACU, if ACU can't afford that, then offer to split the testing cost with them for the week or two leading up to your game if playing that home date means that much to you. It's not that hard, really.

I heard Auburn wants to decrease COVID exposure by just traveling on buses. So they want to cut out their LSU and A&M games.

I don't know if that's really the case at all. They could bus to LSU if they wanted to. They won't get their wish when it comes to this, so even if they want it, it doesn't matter.

My question: Is Gus Malzahn a complete and total ****** bag?

I haven't really heard that about him at all but have definitely heard that he is a very strange dude. Very quirky and different to the point of being maybe a little bizarre, but I haven't heard bad things about him as a person like I have some other coaches over the years.

Who did you have your first beer with and what's the story if it's interesting?

You know what's weird, I really don't even remember. I do know my first time to get legitimately drunk wasn't until I was in Aggieland. I was very social but never really partier in high school (most that know me know I'm still not). Like I'll cut loose but just not as often as most outside of the celebrations and when traveling and stuff (Vegas, NYC, Miami, Mexico...things like that). So those who don't know me see social media and where I go or who I'm with or they see me out and about and like to assume things. Those who know me laugh at that reputation. Meanwhile, I'd say the first time I was 'drunk drunk' was a party freshman year. The trashcan punch got me first, and then the next thing I know, I'm at Harry's with some dudes who would become some of the best friends I've had in life — and still brothers to this day — drinking several shots of something I had never heard of at the time called a ‘Water Moccasin.’ Good night (and it was a good night, too).

A&M is losing the CU game. Tech losing their matchup with Arizona. Ags vs Tech?

Unlikely. Neither is going to want to give up a home game. No one wants to do that this season. There are too many other options for each.

When we look back on this recruiting class (2021), who is the biggest suprise?

That will be a tough question because the rankings will change a lot, and there will be plenty of surprises. I'd say right now Trey Zuhn‍ and Dreyden Norwood out of the commits (I think Tyreek Chappell's tape is such that most Aggies are expecting big things) are going to surprise some who follow the rankings and be VERY good. Both should be much higher, but they're solidly ranked, so I'll say they'll exceed expectations and leave it at that. Jahzion Harris‍ will really surprise folks because I think he could end up being really something nice off the edge and in space.

However, the biggest surprise of them all could be Kaci Seegars‍. I've said it before and will say it again: I've heard the Aggie staff loves that kid as a player, and so did UGA. If they don't land Smael Mondon‍, you watch the Dawgs try to work back in on Seegars behind the scenes (he's rock-solid to A&M, however).

Taleeq Robbins‍ would be another surprising player if you're talking about someone not currently on the commit list.

Of the last five recruiting cycles, which near-miss could have made the biggest difference in our football team? Also thanks for doing these.

You're welcome! Fun to do, and that's a fun question. If you're saying the last five classes, that's tough. Christian Harris is on the shortlist, as are Nakobe Dean, Jaylen Waddle, Joseph Ossai, Kenneth Murray, Zach Evans, JK Dobbins, Greg Little and CeeDee Lamb. The biggest of all might be the one who was here and left in Kyler Murray.

If you could put any 14 football coaches, past or present, into today's SEC, who would you put where?

That's a wild question but interesting. 

What is the most underrated Italian food/dish?

Gnocci or eggplant parm come immediately to mind, but I'm going to go with what has always been my favorite growing up: Just your basic cheese ravioli with sauce, a good cheese topping and some grated parm and an excellent meatball or two. With some good Italian bread on the side to dip. Basic but I love it...especially when homemade.

Last year, there were high hopes heading into the season based on our schedule. We expected some guys to step up and fill in spots. After making it halfway through the season or so, there was a point where I remember you saying something along the lines of we lost 9 or 10 guys from last year that are on NFL rosters and the guys in filling those spots aren't as good yet. It was a good point that I think most overlooked going into the season. This isn't to blame you or the other TexAgs guys as I had similar feelings about the team. My question is what are some areas of the team that we may not be thinking about that could be issues in the upcoming season? Youth, not enough depth, position groups, etc.

Well, I think you start with the offensive line. They have to prove to be better, individually and as a unit. From there you move on to Kellen. How much better can he be with better protection? Could he make a big jump as a senior? You'd like to believe so. What if there isn't enough at wide receiver in the way of big-play guys? That was a problem last year. No one really scared the defense. I think that changes with all of the options. Someone will emerge.

Defensively, it boils down to one big question at each level: Do the Ags find a pass rush from the edge? Do the linebackers make a big jump with both starters returning for their fourth season on campus, more depth and a proven backup in Hansford? Does the secondary sort itself out to where the collection of talent blends with experience to create a quality SEC unit?

A lot of questions, and we think a lot of answers are there. If even MOST of those can fall on the positive side of the line, A&M can win double-digit games this year on a 12 game schedule and contend for an SEC title, regardless of the number of games. There are definitely weaknesses, however. Still, the difference this year is you're playing two fewer teams that look flat-out better than you on paper entering the season, and two of the three left could put together a similar list of concerns (Auburn and LSU) after losing so much.

Billy, you have been very active on the boards this week, and I know we all appreciate your responses/comments on the threads. What % of the posts on premium would you say that you read?

I probably don't read more than 75% of them, but I try to read all of them that have to do with either asking me questions directly or threads that are football/recruiting related. Sometimes I have plenty of time to engage and respond, and sometimes I think I am before seeing a derailed thread or one I've simply checked in on too late in the game and decide to wait to 'catch the next wave' so to speak.

Who turns out to have a better career here in Aggieland? Haynes King or Eli Stowers? I think Haynes is going to be special.

Man, there's no way to try and guess that now. Haynes is on campus, and I do think he has the tools to be a great one. He just has all the intangibles. Thing is, he'll have to win the job first, and Calzada will also have a very good shot at it with a year head start and a cannon of an arm. It's such a hard question for so many reasons, but you guys know I'm a big Haynes King guy dating back to his high school junior season. I also think Stowers has been one of the more criminally underrated recruits in the country until at least 247 has fixed that issue on their end, moving him into the national top-100.

Who turns out a better career in Aggieland after playing juco? Blades or George?

This is a big year for Blades, who I would still say has a chance to be your best corner this year, but I'll go with Brian George here. I've heard he's got the proper mentality and is equally as gifted as a tall, fluid and fast cover corner like Elijah.

Who is the favorite to win the backup QB job? If season gets canceled, do you think Kellen goes pro?

No, I don't think Kellen would turn pro as I don't think he'd be a high enough draft pick without a big senior season. No one is really the favorite to win the backup job, but I think King and Calzada battle it out. It's one of those spots where you really wish you'd have had spring ball to evaluate.

What is the average number of five stars nationwide each year? How many of those are running backs?

You could tell me that as easily as I could. I think one of the networks hands out like 32 or so of them every year, and it's probably around double that if you took all of the different guys earning 'five-star' status from the three major services. Probably 3-4 running backs a year if I had to guess, at most.

In my personal opinion: I really like a new name for Washington's NFL team as "The Bureaucrats".

See above. That would probably be fitting.

Thanks for doing these segments. No questions today. I'll just sit back and read everyone else's.

You're welcome, and I hope they ask some good ones for you!

Why has Bucky’s son not been offered? Will he if he shows out this year? And if no season then his chances are slim to non?

I think I've gone over this quite a bit in some threads. I think John Paul Richardson was hurt big time by the lack of spring evals, the track season (he was really beginning to peak there and could have had some great documented times), and remember, he also missed last summer's camp cycle with an injury. I think that's holding him back in terms of the offers from the teams that regularly recruit in the top-ten, and that includes A&M. I also think he's good enough to earn some of those offers and believe the likes of the Aggies and Sooners will be watching closely if football is played this fall.

The Aggies are likely to take only two wide receivers in this class and have one committed, which is playing in with, not only JP7, but also guys like Romello Brinson‍, Ketron Jackson‍, recent OU commit Caleb Johnson‍. The Ags just haven't been pushing anyone on the list at wideout.

I think Oklahoma State is a terrific fit, both from an offense and a conference standpoint, and Gundy and the Pokes have made it very clear how badly they want John Paul catching passes in Stillwater. They did a great job of recruiting him and beating out TCU here. Will be a very interesting follow this fall but I think he'll thrive in that Pokes' offense so he's going to be good regardless.

If the season gets pushed to the spring, do you see a scenario where those who are trying to get drafted in 2021 don't play?

Yes, but how that impacts A&M remains to be seen. Who is getting drafted off of this team and, of that shortlist, how high were they planning on going? Jhamon, Kellen, Myles Jones, Jayden Peevy, Buddy Johnson, Micheal Clemons, Dan Moore, Carson Green, Jared Hocker? No one that group is probably getting a top-three-round grade right now, so all could REALLY help themselves with a strong senior season, even in the spring. I'm sure one or two would make what turned out to be a poor decision, but for the most part, A&M doesn't have anyone guaranteed a good amount of money who would appear wise in sitting things out. I think the Ags are in a good spot from that standpoint if there is a spring season, and you'd like to see all of those guys improve their draft stock as part of a really good SEC team that draws a lot of eyeballs and attention. Just ask last year's juniors and seniors at LSU.

What are you hearing about Haynes King in his short time at A&M? I'm a huge believer in this guy and I believe he his the guy who will lead us to the promised land.

He has a chance to be special. The key will be timing, and if he's ready to win a job this spring because there's the chance that Calzada could, what if Haynes didn't let it go? As for what I've heard about Haynes this off-season, he's a truly gifted athlete. He's a tireless worker/competitor who has already added about 15 pounds of muscle, and his knowledge of the offense is already way beyond what most QBs are able to absorb in Jimbo's offense in such a short time. That's what I know so far.

It seems a lot of times our DBs don't turn around to play the ball, thus forcing PIs. What do you attribute that to? Coaching? Lack of discipline?

I've always thought over the years that has a lot to do with coaching but think more and more these days it has to do with just natural talent and instincts at the position. Just finding the football and having the confidence to know you can turn and find it without losing track of the receiver. I think some 'lesser' corners are almost nervous or unwilling to turn their head around and try and find the ball, or they aren't good enough to read the receiver and realize when the ball is on it's way down and into their arms. I'm telling you, recruit nationally-ranked cover men, recruit elite athletes, and suddenly, you'll see guys on the field who look 'coached up' to find the ball. Heck, we saw it at times last year with Elijah Blades, who came out of the JC ranks, missed the bulk of fall camp and played in only about half of the Aggie games because of a shoulder injury.

How many deep balls (over 30 yards in the air) do you estimate us completing this year and who leads the team in receiving yards?

No idea on a number (you guys have never caught on that I loathe to 'predict how many' touches a guy will get, etc.) I still think Ausbon ends up leading the team in yards as a senior, and I think there is going to be a real effort to attack the field vertically more so this year than last. I think you'll see a lot more shots down the field, and as a result, you'll see a lot more of that type of completion. There are some new weapons out there who are going to threaten defenses vertically, and Ausbon showed last year that he's better in that regard than he gets credit for. Wydermyer is going to produce some 30-plus yard gains, but balls that travel that far in the air? I think you'll see them being hauled in by a lot of new faces. You know the list, but Demas is going to scare defenses the most as soon as he figures it out enough to be out there consistently.

How are things looking with Bryce Foster‍?

Not much has changed. He's a guy who was/is really wanting to take his official visits and get a real feel for the programs, but he may not have that opportunity. I'm not sure who that helps or hurts. I would still say OU has a slight edge, but he's not planning to decide anytime soon and the Aggies (and even Oregon) are right there in it. Still think it's OU or A&M at the end, however.

Will TJ Rushing be another Elijah Robinson (ELITE recruiter)? Early returns are promising.

Early returns are promising, but Robinson has really set the bar high. I've been extremely encouraged by what we've seen from Rushing, and that's coming from a guy who really liked what Linguist did. Remember, Mo had reeled in the guys he did, and he and the Ags would have easily added guys like Kimber (UGA) and Banks (Bama) to that list had they pushed for them. But Rushing coming in mid-stream in most of these recruitments and doing a great job with the three commits (not to mention Tony Grimes‍) and establishing real relationships and landing verbals from longtime targets is extremely impressive. Definitely points to a bright future. Amazing that he's able to do it without creating a twitter or social media persona. Same with Josh Henson, who is quietly positioning the Ags very nicely with OL's across '21 and '22. Compare that with the Twitter actors in Austin, and you realize you don't need all that crap. Just go out and recruit.

Given how loaded the 2022 recruiting class is, are there any players the coaching staff are already zeroing in on as top priorities already?

Oh, I don't think there's any doubt about that. There are more this early in the game than I think I can remember. More names are under serious consideration than this and the list is going to grow, but off the top of my head, guys like Malick Sylla‍, Bobby Taylor‍, Harold Perkins‍, Donovan Green‍, Kelvin Banks‍, Kameron Dewberry‍, Keithian Alexander‍, PJ Williams‍, Cole Hutson‍, Martrell Harris‍ and several receivers are already receiving a significant, prioritized push. Again, I just rattled off a list of names so don't think someone isn't being prioritized early if I left them off of that list, but it just goes to show you how loaded the '22 group is.

We've learned how important that middle of our offensive line can be. What is your outlook for our center position?

Too tough to call right now, but I can't imagine it not being Ryan McCollum or Luke Matthews. McCollum is finally healthy and ready as a fifth-year senior, and I've heard Matthews has really turned a corner during this off-season and has shown some very encouraging signs.

Do any of the Matthew brothers have any sons?

A little early to be worried about that, no? I promise I'll keep you in the loop on all things next-gen Matthews related, but we're not touching the 2035 and beyond recruiting cycles until at least 2030.

Any new names for the 2nd WR in this class?

Not really anyone yet. They offered the (Houston) St. Thomas speedster recently but trying to gauge if there's going to be a big push for a commit there. I've also mentioned that there are some ties with Louisiana stud Brian Thomas‍ (the state's No. 3 overall prospect), but he'll be an incredibly tough pull out of the Bayou State and away from LSU as you might imagine.

A while back I mentioned I thought it would be a good idea to have a couple of historians come in and talk about Sully to any athletes that wanted to attend. It would be a chance for open dialogue for them to ask questions and go back and forth and then they could make their own informed decision on the statue at that point. I saw you had said something similar within a couple of days as well. Has anything been done to educate football players (and any A&M athlete if they wanted to attend) about Sully and A&M's history? The athlete's approach is so divisive, I feel like they're missing a real opportunity to start an actual dialogue after becoming educated on the subject they're dividing the fan base over.

I'm not 100% positive, but, yes, I believe that has already happened. I believe part of the problem is that if someone is already 'educated' or believes they are (on either side), pulling them across the line with 'facts' contradictory to the ones they've already learned as truth is really difficult. Like I said, that goes both ways, hence the impasse. Yes, there have been sit-downs and conversations had, to answer your question.

Second to that, where is the leadership that's being taught to these athletes as leaders are supposed to encourage, unite and bring out the best in others? I'm not seeing any of that from the athlete's that have been visible and making comments with their Twitter fingers.

Twitter is the worst medium right now for all of this. It's too 'heat of the moment' emotional and too easy to retweet or quote tweet something without doing your homework or thinking about the impact and reach of your words or even the simple action of hitting 'retweet.' I also think that leadership needs to be exhibited on both sides of this thing and am encouraged by the ongoing conversations and efforts behind the scenes. What we're seeing on social media is the ugly side of this, but guys like Kellen and Keldrick have met with folks like Chancellor Sharp, and both sides are working hard towards progress, whatever form that might come in.

If the UIL decides not to have fall sports, do you think this will cause more kids to move up their timeline to commit?

Absolutely. No doubt about it. These kids want SOMETHING to get excited about this fall, and earlier-than-expected commits will be the result.

How has this pandemic negatively or positively affect the recruiting service industry?

More than anything else, it's going to have to do with the coaches having less material and development to evaluate, which is a lose/lose for the coaches and prospects as we get a year or two into their careers (in many instances kids are going to end up at places they shouldn't, either because they were unable to evaluate the programs enough or because the programs missed on them).

As for the industry, the evaluations — or lack thereof by the national services — are suffering badly, and that's creating a false sense of who is doing well vs. who isn't in terms of the national recruiting landscape. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy with some of these guys. The ones who handle it best will be those who use the opportunity to get that much better at things like evaluating film and follow up diligently with high school coaches, trainers, etc. The guys who REALLY put in the work will rise to the top here, and there are definitely many of those out there.

Why do you think we are missing out on the top running back prospects from the state? I'm happy we're getting guys like Achane but guys like that aren't guys that serve the workhorse role in the SEC. I'm talking guys like Zach Evans or JK Dobbins.

Dobbins was a miss by the previous staff, but he also went to Ohio State and chose them over Bama, OU, LSU, Texas, etc. Evans’ was a completely different recruitment than anything I've seen, and you could make the case that it was Zach who missed out on playing for the handful of programs he actually wanted to at various times throughout the process. They are also like four or five years apart. Now, I do think A&M landing an elite back — in terms of recruiting profile and rankings at the time — is something we need to see happen moving forward, just like we've seen them do at WR, QB, OL, DT, DE, CB, TE and S already under Jimbo. There's a solid chance that will be LJ Johnson. We shall see.

How much weight have you lost Billy? Can see it in your face. Good job. I've gained over these last three mos. not fair.

Probably about 30. Thanks for noticing! Well for me, it's been all about walking my dog for miles a day and also cooking at home as opposed to eating out two meals a day, every day, complete with bread or chips, appetizers and (far too often) desserts.

This time last year, Jimbo+staff were on the verge of securing their 2nd 2021 commitment. When do you suppose a domino or two may fall with respect to the 2022 class?

I could see one or two happening prior to the start of what might be an October season. There are a few guys leaning the Ags' way. Not having summer camps is going to force that timetable back a little, however. For some, the camp season essentially serves as a series of unofficial visits.

Along the lines of the 2022 class, it appears that our staff is focused on recruiting Texas really hard, specifically the Houston metroplex. You had previously mentioned that we will see many more in-state battles with the sips this upcoming cycle. Although Texas may have abundant athletic talent, what other 2022 recruits outside of Texas has the staff prioritized and have already developed a strong bond with to fill key positions?
I love, love, love college football. It's the only sport I watch, something I look forward to all year. I've been following Aggie football for 30 years. After we hired Jimbo, after watching him recruit lights out on the national stage, I thought finally, it's happening. Now the pandemic threatens a pivotal season. Racial tensions have some fans jumping off cliffs. The whole dynamic seems to be shifting in a profound and potentially permanent way. Is this still happening (us kicking some serious ass, that is)?

I still think it is happening, yes. The roster is being built to last and to be even better over the coming seasons than it will be this campaign...and they are absolutely (and quickly) closing the gap on the teams they need to close the gap on. For 'that guy' wanting to compare how many five stars those teams have compared to the Ags: Stop. They are closing the gap every time they ink a top 3-9 class. It's about what's coming in combined with what's going out. The Ags are bringing in MUCH more comparable talent, and they're losing a LOT less than the big dogs of the SEC are. Hence, the gap is getting smaller with every cycle. They're going to soon put every bit as much — and probably more — talent on the field than Auburn has been, and when has anyone said, "The Tigers just don't have enough talent to compete." They've lost for other reasons but have also had a few great years in today's modern SEC West mixed in.

Yes, this season needs to happen because the Ags are in a great spot to capitalize, but I believe the momentum under Jimbo has this program strong enough that it doesn't entirely hinge on the 2020 season happening.

Who do you see emerging as the vocal leader of this team? I believe Kellen has the respect and trust of his teammates, and his calm confidence is exactly what you want in the huddle with two minutes to go and you're down by 7 or playing 7 overtimes for that matter. While as an average fan we see limited player interactions, IMO there was a significant drop-off last year in the vocal, passionate energy that left with the departure of Cullen Gillespie. Given the leadership potential of the rising sophomores and talented freshman on this team, I hate that the loss of spring ball and the abbreviated summer schedule has delayed this development. Appreciate your thoughts and thanks for doing this.

Agree about it being stunted or delayed some but that's every program. The good news is that the Ags may have lost plenty of those types after Jimbo's first season, but they really didn't lose anyone like that last year at the position spots outside of Colton Prater's toughness and work ethic. This year, the guys I could see fitting the description you're talking about are DeMarvin Leal (LOVED his attitude throughout the bowl game, and he had the production to back it up), Ainias Smith, Buddy Johnson, Carson Green and perhaps seniors like Cam Buckley and Jayden Peevy. Mond, Ausbon and Carper are also leaders in their own right, just a little less rah-rah and more of a calming, veteran presence than the ones who motivate quite as loudly.

Are the Zach Evans breadcrumbs that seem to be dropping here and there intentional?

Not at all. Zero chance of anything. He'll be playing at TCU this fall, and the Ags have moved on.

Any news on Albert Regis‍?

Nothing new there. He seems to be taking his time with the process after backing away from Minnesota, but Texas is probably in a slightly better spot than A&M at this point in time because he grew up liking them. I've seen that happen before with Fisher in Aggieland however, so we should know better than to write him off because the Ags are very much in it. It will also be interesting to see where things stand if the Ags pick up a commit from Taleeq Robbins in August.

What do you think about the Cowboys and Prescott not coming to a long term agreement? Think dak and the Cowboys part ways after this season?

I do think they part ways after the season. I think Dak is really good but not a top-five quarterback in the NFL, but damn, I do think he's better than a lot of QBs who have either been to a conference title game or Super Bowl (and even won one) over the past decade to 15 years. He's very good — not great. Very good in the right franchise versus what? I think they should pay up and keep him, and I don't trust anything Jerry and Stephen do because, well, look at what they've done, and look at the results.

Liucci cooking show in the works? Pilot episode: Enchiladas.

Damn, they were fire!!! My top five dishes so far in quarantine: Cheese enchiladas with chili gravy, (very) spicy chicken stir fry, any of my Fish Fixe dishes but probably my shrimp tacos, homemade chicken parm tenders over angel hair pasta boiled in chicken broth and mixed with grated parm, Mexican stuffed bell peppers and, as of last night, turkey sloppy joes on sweet Hawaiian rolls.

What do you want to see from the final season of Ozarks?

Honestly, I've forgotten how it ends...oops no I didn't!!!! Holy crap, when can they put that final season out already?!?!? I don't really care what happens as long as it goes out with a bang. Didn't like the end of the Sopranos (didn't hate it, but didn't love it), thought the end of Breaking Bad was meh and, like most, hated the end of Game of Thrones. Let's goooooooo Ozark! Do something over the top outrageous...either kill Ruth off in shocking fashion or have her pull off the coup of all coups to end the series. I could see Ruth finishing off Wendy and somehow Marty being okay with it and they go on to rule together.

A&M:

(Good) — The Shot, beating Louisville at Rupp to go to the Sweet 16, Big 12 title game win, Nebraska '98 win, Alabama win, Johnny claiming the Heisman, LSU 74-72, OU win in '02, Bonfire Game

(Bad) — Aggies blowing historic lead vs. UCLA, the loss to Memphis in the Sweet 16, loss to Purdue in Spokane, OU loss in 2000

Jimbo made his pick very early with Stowers knowing he could have landed Jalen Milroe‍ at any moment

Both of these sections are flat out lies.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Both of these sections are flat out lies.

Was the "twitter actor idiots" directed at Valai ( and Hand? )since he was talking about Rushing??  Lulz, sour grapes over getting beat out for Ibraheem and deep down knowing J. Johnson is better than those 2 OOS scrubs they took.

27 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, Saban didn’t offer this guy?  Did Saban know something that jimbo didnt?

I mean, look at your question. Of course he did. Like, for every possible scenario. Who to offer. Where to have lunch. What brand of deodorant is better. Buying hardwoods versus Jimbo being a guy who carpets his bathroom. Is there a situation Saban doesnt know more than Jimbo outside of all Cuck related business? Maybe best places to sit and watch while your wife gets run train. But seriously, what kind of question is that? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, look at your question. Of course he did. Like, for every possible scenario. Who to offer. Where to have lunch. What brand of deodorant is better. Buying hardwoods versus Jimbo being a guy who carpets his bathroom. Is there a situation Saban doesnt know more than Jimbo outside of all Cuck related business? Maybe best places to sit and watch while your wife gets run train. But seriously, what kind of question is that? 

Ok...after a little digging, Alabama did not offer Tank...he did have about 20 offers and opted for aggy....which tells me that Saban knew more than jimbo about Tank.   Normally, if Saban wanted a 4* OL, from Alabama and offered him, he'd probably get him.  I was curious what Saban knew to keep him from making an offer...that's all.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/210696/tank-jenkins

27 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Ok...after a little digging, Alabama did not offer Tank...he did have about 20 offers and opted for aggy....which tells me that Saban knew more than jimbo about Tank.   Normally, if Saban wanted a 4* OL, from Alabama and offered him, he'd probably get him.  I was curious what Saban knew to keep him from making an offer...that's all.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/210696/tank-jenkins

Tank Jenkins and James Foster were both OOS mercenaries. They were going to the school that dropped the biggest bag. 

And both those guys were probably better prospects than a lot of the OOS mercenaries Jimbo seems to be going after these days. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

2:40p 

Staff

AG

Blanton could have been a franchise tackle and anyone in the program would tell you that. He just hasn't been able to be healthy since arriving and his knees have been problematic from day one.

What’s stopping them?  Why hasn’t anyone in the program said this?

10 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Liucci

2:40p 

Staff

AG

Blanton could have been a franchise tackle and anyone in the program would tell you that. He just hasn't been able to be healthy since arriving and his knees have been problematic from day one.

The difference between this and Wescott talking about Williams dropping to the second round is pretty much all you need to know about our respective media.

It does seem ridiculous. So Iowa can play Maryland or Rutgers but not Iowa State, and there would somehow be less risk of spread? The reasoning has to do with uniform testing protocol within a conference, which is why I think the spineless-ass NCAA should have stepped up long ago — as in months ago — and begun the path towards uniform third-party testing across the sport. They didn't, maybe because the asshats were too busy chasing down A&M and Jimbo for secondary violations that didn't give any sort of competitive advantage.giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd76jpx1uudmx9z4vkwidgcdj13ynx84xszkpr4k5nf&rid=giphy.gif

• Like 1

Let's take a live look at Aggy's OT depth chart for 2021

I didn't know Grayson Reed was an OT. I don't think he knows that either. I also didn't know Chris Morris was an OT. I know most people didn't recruit him as one. So that leaves leftover B. Trainor and Kenyon Green who has yet to play OT but we're assured is a NFL Tackle. 

image.png.9b241ae925314276d2170dcc5319af4a.png

• Like 2

Aggie 247 / Brian Perroni / Who will A&M land: Breaking down every position in 2021 class

Spoiler

Who will A&M land: Breaking down every position in 2021 class
BRIAN PERRONI

Texas A&M is looking to finish with yet another top-10 recruiting class under Jimbo Fisher in the class of 2021.

The Aggies started off a bit slow as they entered April with only three commitments in the class. However, since then, that number has gone up to 12 as there have been some highly-ranked pledges from both in and out of state.

With room for 23 prospects in the class, there are still plenty of spots left and there are a lot of highly-rated players the Aggies are looking to fill those spots with.

Here is a position-by-position breakdown of where Texas A&M stands with each recruit and who the Aggies are likely to land.

QUARTERBACK

Eli Stowers (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

Texas A&M is going to take one quarterback in its class. After offering a number of players both in-state and out, the Aggies worked a bunch of their top targets out at camp last summer.

In the end, they made a push for dual-threat Eli Stowers out of Denton Guyer. The 6-foot-4, 220-pound four-star prospect committed early last July, becoming the first commitment in the class.

He is rebounding from an injury but threw for 36 touchdowns with only four interceptions as a junior. He also ran for over 1,100 yards. Stowers is set to graduate early and will enroll at A&M this coming January.

RUNNING BACK

LJ Johnson (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

A&M signed four running backs in the class of 2020 and wants two more in the current class as the roster was down to one scholarship runner at the end of the regular season a year ago.

The two main targets are LJ Johnson of Houston Cy-Fair and Amari Daniels of Miami (Fla.) Central.

Johnson, a national top-50 prospect, is very high on the Aggies and has multiple Crystal Ball predictions in favor of A&M. He has a top group now of A&M, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas. It looked to be an in-state battle but both Auburn and LSU have made up some ground as of late. Still, I believe he will end up in College Station. He likes the coaching staff, the depth chart and the fact that it is about an hour away from home. Johnson wants to take all his visits before making a decision but, if no visits are allowed, will likely decide close to the end of the season.

Daniels is an all-purpose back and could line up some in the slot as well. He has very good speed and would provide a nice complement to Johnson. The two know each from A&M’s camp last summer and have no problem being in the same class. Daniels has a final group of A&M, Georgia, Miami, Nebraska and Penn State but this one is pretty much an A&M-Miami battle at this point. He plans to announce before his season starts in late August and, right now, A&M is the likely choice. However, the Canes are working really hard to keep South Florida talent at home.

Should the Aggies not land both, they could pursue Joseph McKay of Phenix City (Ala.) Central a bit more. He hails from the same high school that running backs coach Tommie Robinson went to and would likely commit quickly if the Aggies pushed. Byron Cardwell of California is still on the radar as well and is pretty open. A&M has also been in contact with four-star speedster Ahmonte Watkins from Klein Forest, who moved in from Louisiana this spring. He could be the all-purpose target if Daniels chooses Miami.

WIDE RECEIVER

.Shadrach Banks (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

After signing a number of top prospects at the position a year ago, Texas A&M is only looking to sign a pair of wide receivers this year.

National top-100 prospect Shadrach Banks is already committed, becoming the Aggies’ second pledge in the class when he announced last August. The 6-foot, 215-pound four-star will become the first A&M signee from North Shore since the class of 2000, finally breaking the Maroon and White’s drought at the powerhouse program. Auburn is still working on him, trying to get him to join quarterback teammate and best friend Dematrius Davis there, but A&M has done very well countering that and most people at North Shore expect him to stick with the Aggies.

For the second spot, A&M has handed out a number of offers. However, it is now clear that they want a speedy prospect that can be a game-breaker.

The No. 1 target is four-star JoJo Earle out of Aledo. However, he is committed to LSU. While there is still at least some communication, landing him in College Station is an uphill battle.

The Aggies are also after McKinney North’s JJ Henry really heavily. So are a ton of ton of other schools as of late too, though. The 5-foot-10, 165-pounder was ultra-productive as a junior and has seen some really big offers come in over the past couple months. Because of that, he has basically started the recruiting process over. Henry is interested in A&M but wants to take time to make a decision. It could come down to if the Aggies are willing to wait and risk not signing anyone.

The most recent offer went to Cameron Bonner of Houston St. Thomas last week. A couple schools are recruiting the 5-foot-11, 170-pounder at cornerback, but most like him as a receiver. That includes A&M. The offer caused Bonner to pretty much start his recruiting process over as well as he was close to narrowing things down. If the Aggies push hard, he could be the receiver taken in the class.

The Aggies are also still keeping tabs on a few others with offers such as Ketron Jackson of Royse City, Bryce Stephens of Oklahoma City (Okla.) Marshall and Yulkeith Brown of Miami (Fla.) Central. Four-star Brian Thomas Jr. out of Louisiana is also a target but is an Alabama/LSU battle at this point.

Though he has not been offered yet, Klein Forest four-star all-purpose back Ahmonte Watkins was mentioned above as a player the Aggies are in communication with and he could also potentially be a receiver should A&M land two other backs.

TIGHT END

Fernando Garza (Photo: kisdphotos.com)

A&M only plans to take one true tight end in the class and the Aggies have already landed him.

Fernando Garza of Katy was offered in early May and wasted no time committing, pulling the trigger a couple days later. The 6-foot-5, 244-pounder was not a huge part of the Tigers’ passing game as a junior but A&M liked his film from camps and workouts a whole lot. They also like his blocking ability.

Garza is expected to have a bigger role as a receiver his senior year, so fans should see more of it then.

The only other potential tight end on the radar is four-star Dametrious Crownover of Grandview. He is ranked as a tight end but A&M, as well as most other schools, are recruiting him as an athlete that could play there or defensive end. He plays both ways for the back-to-back state champions but he is up to 6-foot-6, 275-pounds this summer, so the decision might have been made for him as to which side of the ball is the best for him.

Crownover’s older brother Earnest will be on scholarship as a running back at A&M this fall and, even before he committed, the younger Crownover was high on the Aggies. However, his father played for Baylor and the Bears have offered in basketball as well. That has made Baylor a big factor. Nebraska and Ohio State are also heavily involved here.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Reuben Fatheree (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

A&M signed a bunch of interior prospects in the 2020 class, so the Aggies are looking for pure tackles in the 2021 class. Luckily for them, they have landed some.

Four-star Reuben Fatheree of Richmond Foster was a huge win over just about every other school in the country. The 6-foot-7, 305-pounder is also a basketball standout and that athleticism shows on the football field. He is ranked as the No. 136 overall prospect in the country per the 247Sports composite and committed to the Aggies in early June.

Another four-star, Trey Zuhn of Fort Collins (Colo.) Fossil Ridge, committed to A&M while in town in early February for the Super Bowl recruiting party. The 6-foot-6, 310-pounder chose the Aggies over Oklahoma and Ohio State. He has been solid since making his pledge.

Magnolia tackle Matthew Wykoff had a number of big offers and committed to A&M in mid-May over Texas. The 6-foot-5, 305-pounder is a versatile lineman and could also play guard if needed.

The Aggies are likely to sign two more offensive linemen in the class and the biggest target left is actually a guard.

Katy Taylor’s Bryce Foster is pretty much A&M’s only interior target in the class. The 6-foot-4.5, 330-pounder is ranked as the No. 65 player in the country and comes from an Aggie family as his mom went to A&M and his older brother played for the Aggies. However, both Oklahoma and Oregon are very involved as well.

If Foster had to choose today, Oklahoma would be a good bet. However, A&M is banking on a strong season plus familiarity with the program in helping it to win out. Foster has long said he plans to take all of his visits before making a decision, so there is still a lot of time there.

The Aggies tried to get offensive tackle Javonne Shepherd as a transfer from Texas over the offseason. Originally a four-star prospect out of Houston North Forest in the class of 2019, he signed with the Longhorns over A&M but decided to transfer after his first semester in Austin. He ended up having to go the junior college route, though.

Shepherd is now at Butler C.C. in Kansas and was pretty much set to head to A&M this coming January, as long as his JUCO season went well. However, with the junior colleges having moved their seasons to the spring, it’s up in the air what will happen with Shepherd. But, he wants to be at A&M, so he is one to watch for sure.

Jackson, Mo., Top247 tackle Connor Tollison committed to in-state Missouri this spring over A&M and Oklahoma. However, the 6-foot-5, 300-pounder says he is still in contact with A&M, Alabama and Oklahoma. Though it will be hard to sway him from his current pledge, Tollison is considering official visits to A&M and Alabama should they be allowed this fall.

The Aggies are still after a few other players as well. Kimo Makaneole of Niceville, Fla., has some impressive film and, after being offered recently, wants to visit A&M. The 6-foot-4, 280-pounder has the length to play tackle but could also play guard. A&M also recently offered Arkansas commit Devon Manuel out of Louisiana. The 6-foot-8, 300-pounder could take a visit to Aggieland should they be allowed this fall.

DEFENSIVE END

Tunmise Adeleye (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
A&M has its pass-rushing end committed already in the class, so the Aggies are after a number of bigger players to add to the group. Some of them could eventually be tackles later in their career, so you may seen A&M load up at the position.

In late April, four-star Jahzion Harris out of Brooklyn (N.Y.) Erasmus Hall committed to A&M. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder, ranked as the No. 202 prospect in the country, made his way down to A&M last spring to check things out. He is a guy the Aggies will let come off the edge and go after the passer.

One of the main targets left is Shemar Turner of DeSoto. The 6-foot-3.5, 265-pounder had a huge junior year and the Aggies very much want him in the class. Turner has a final five of A&M, Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Texas but the Aggies, Tide and Longhorns are in the best shape at the moment. There is some talk around DeSoto that A&M has a very realistic shot at landing him, but Turner wants to wait until later in the process to make a final decision.

The Aggies are after a somewhat similar player in Monkell Goodwine out of Fort Washington (Md.) National Christian Academy. The nation’s No. 113 overall prospect, the 6-foot-4, 260-pound defender made it to College Station last fall along with cornerback teammate Joshuah Moten, who is now a freshman at A&M. Goodwine seems likely to end up in the SEC and both A&M and Alabama are appealing to him. The Aggies could make him a bigger priority than the Tide, though, and there is a very real possibility he ends up in College Station. East Coast analyst Brian Dohn has a Crystal Ball prediction in for the Aggies.

Texarkana Pleasant Grove’s Marcus Burris has seen a couple big turns in his recruitment. At one point, it seemed the 6-foot-4, 280-pounder was on the verge of an A&M commitment. Then, earlier this summer, the nation’s No. 102 overall prospect was close to committing to Oklahoma. Now, it is back to being a battle between the Aggies and Sooners. A&M is still after him and he is a take for the Aggies.

Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy’s Tunmise Adeleye played his first three seasons at Katy Tompkins before making his way to IMG this spring. The 6-foot-3, 245-pounder, ranked as the No. 31 overall prospect in the nation, committed to Ohio State in mid-April. He had originally planned to wait until August to make a decision. A&M, which was the first school to offer him as a freshman, has remained in contact, though, and won’t give up until he signs somewhere. If Adeleye does make a change, it likely would not happen until very late in the process. It’s an uphill battle at this point, but is at least still a possibility.

Crownover could also potentially be a defensive end if that’s where the staff wants him to play. Should he end up in Aggieland, A&M has told him they would figure out his best spot once he arrives on campus.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Tywone Malone (Photo: Brian Dohn, 247Sports)

The Aggies are likely to sign three true defensive tackles with the potential that some of the defensive ends finish their careers there. But, even if none of them make their way inside, three is plenty with the depth currently on campus.

A&M already has one player committed in Victory Vaka out of Southern California. The 6-foot-2, 340-pounder chose the Aggies in early May, despite having never visited. Though he says he wants to take his official visits still, Vaka also says he is solid in his commitment. Even if visits are eventually allowed, it wouldn’t be a shock to see Vaka cancel them. The state of California this week moved its high school football season to the spring and Vaka announced that he would skip it to enroll early at A&M in January.

One of the biggest prizes left, regardless of position, is tackle Tywone Malone of Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic. The 6-foot-3.5, 300-pounder is a freakish athlete, who is also a legitimate baseball prospect and plans to play both sports in college. He has a top four of A&M, Ohio State, Ole Miss and Rutgers but this one is an Aggie/Buckeye battle right now. A lot of people in the region think that A&M – and defensive tackles coach Elijah Robinson – win this one. Malone made it to Aggieland this past fall and was blown away. This would be a huge commitment if A&M landed the nation’s No. 54 player and it is very much a possibility.

A&M already has one commitment from the city of Philadelphia and could end up with another in defensive tackle Taleeq Robbins. He, too, hails from Robinson’s recruiting region. The 6-foot-3, 300-pounder really wants to play in the SEC and has A&M, Georgia, Ole Miss and South Carolina among his top schools. However, there are multiple Crystal Ball picks for the Aggies for a reason. Robbins plans to announce around mid-August and is a good bet to be in the class.

A one-time Minnesota commit, La Porte’s Albert Regis has seen a number of new offers since decommitting earlier this summer. The 6-foot-1, 300-pounder is incredibly athletic and is also a standout tight end. A&M and Texas are both high on his list but he has started the process anew and does not plan to rush into anything.

Desmond Watson of Seffner (Fla.) Armwood is the other main target and the 6-foot-5, 350-pounder has the Aggies in his final two. However, as of now, it looks like he will end up at in-state Florida.

LINEBACKER

Kaci Seegars (Photo: Hudl)

A&M is not looking to take many at this position in the class and very well might be done.

In late April, the Aggies picked up somewhat of a surprise commitment from Kaci Seegars out of Charlotte (N.C.) Hough. The 6-foot-2, 215-pound three-star prospect did not have the most impressive offer list but he was somebody new linebackers coach Tyler Santucci was quite familiar with from his time at Wake Forest last year and who Santucci liked.

In addition to Seegars, A&M will have another new linebacker prospect on campus in January. Kenneth Phillips II of Fort Bend Bush was a commitment in the class of 2020 but suffered torn ligaments in his knee close to the end of his senior year. He and A&M agreed that, since he would not be able to play this coming season, he would wait until January to enroll so that he can count toward the 2021 numbers. The 5-foot-11.5, 210-pounder was offered at camp last summer as a hybrid linebacker/safety but will likely play mostly linebacker.

CORNERBACK

Deuce Harmon (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

Texas A&M really needed cornerbacks and, with two commitments this month, is in good shape there.

Denton Guyer four-star Deuce Harmon has been leaning to the Aggies since early February and committed in late May. The 5-foot-9, 185-pounder brings both speed and physicality to the spot.

The next player to jump on board was Tyreek Chappell out of Philadelphia, who announced on July 4. The 5-foot-11, 177-pounder is one of the faster prospects in the class and, should he be able to have a senior season, should be a candidate to move up in the rankings with even more film. A&M is a big fan of his and likes that he only allowed two pass completions on him all year.

Less than a week after Chappell committed, the Aggies received a bit of a surprise pledge from the top prospect in the state of Arkansas. Fort Smith Northside four-star cornerback Dreyden Norwood chose the Aggies over the in-state Razorbacks, among a number of other schools. The 6-foot, 175-pound four-star defender was a player the Aggies really coveted.

A&M is likely to take one more corner in the class and probably the best bet is MJ Daniels out of Lucedale (Miss.) George County. The 6-foot-3, 185-pounder recently decommitted from Ole Miss and has A&M in his top six. Ranked as an athlete, he is being recruited by the Aggies as a cornerback and says that he has the best relationship with A&M and Ole Miss. He is also cousins with incoming freshman defensive tackle McKinnley Jackson.

With multiple seniors graduating after this coming season, the Aggies would sign a junior college cornerback in an ideal world. However, with no evaluation period this spring and no JUCO ball this fall, there aren’t many targets. The main one to watch is Jadarrius Perkins out of the Mississippi JUCO ranks. He committed to Oregon earlier this summer but the Aggies have flipped a junior college pledge from the Ducks in two of the past three classes.

SAFETY

Kendal Daniels (Photo: @KendalDaniels__)

A&M has yet to have a safety commit in the class of 2021 but that could change soon.

The Aggies absolutely love Kendal Daniels out of Beggs, Okla., and he is set to announce in less than two weeks on Sat., Aug. 1. The No. 140 overall player in the country and the top prospect in Oklahoma was seemingly a strong lean to the in-state Sooners until recently. However, it now looks like A&M is the team to beat with multiple Crystal Ball picks coming in this week. Clemson is also making a run and is trying to sell the Isaiah Simmons role to him but the 6-foot-4, 190-pound defender wants to play safety and that is where the Aggies want him to play.

Though he is a longshot, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II four-star safety Terrion Arnold at least plans to visit A&M this fall, provided visits are allowed. He grew up hanging out with Jimbo Fisher’s sons in Tallahassee, so has ties to the Aggie head coach. Still, though, both Alabama and Florida State are in a better position for him than A&M is.

Another prospect from Tallahassee, University School safety Ahmari Harvey, included A&M in his final four. The 5-foot-10.5, 171-pound four-star also plans to officially visit but in-state programs Florida and Florida State are in better shape right now. Auburn is the fourth school in his top group.