Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

...and there it is

For what it's worth, it was more than just that game for Georgia.  Georgia does a little with a lot.  On paper, they should have beat you and should beat damn near everyone they play-- their recruiting classes are salty.  To your credit in the bowl, that didn't happen. 

BUT, you can't deny when they beat us last year, they were playing for a spot in the CFP.  When they played you, they had already missed the opportunity they wanted.

• Fuck You 6

8 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Yeah, well, when coupled with a schedule featuring a defending national champion, bama, and lsu, once every 7 years felt like plenty...

Probably should have not dropped Oregon for Clemson.  But at the time it made sense, Oregon was scoring 50 a game and Clemson was still Clemsoning. Sounded like the easier opponent at the time. 

8 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

For what it's worth, it was more than just that game for Georgia.  Georgia does a little with a lot.  On paper, they should have beat you and should beat damn near everyone they play-- their recruiting classes are salty.  To your credit in the bowl, that didn't happen. 

BUT, you can't deny when they beat us last year, they were playing for a spot in the CFP.  When they played you, they had already missed the opportunity they wanted.

I can't remember which poster ran the numbers, but they figured out that Georgia (state, not university) recruits are the most consistently overrated of the "big" recruiting states in terms of what they achieve in college correlated to their star count.

Just now, texifornia said:

I can't remember which poster ran the numbers, but they figured out that Georgia (state, not university) recruits are the most consistently overrated of the "big" recruiting states in terms of what they achieve in college correlated to their star count.

This would not surprise me at all.  Is it a Kirby coaching thing?  A Kirby bad eval thing?  

3 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

I mean, USF, UTEP and KU are not significantly different than ACU, UNT and Fresno State.  And I would gladly take the balance of your schedule over ours.

Show me the last FCS team we played. Can’t? That’s what I thought.  And most of your conference is overrated every year.  You play 3 games this year. Your schedule is ridiculously easy.

1 minute ago, jordanaggie said:

This would not surprise me at all.  Is it a Kirby coaching thing?  A Kirby bad eval thing?  

I think it's before they get to college, since it's university agnostic. Maybe given the amount of college football industry people based around Atlanta, they overrate their local kids?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Show me the last FCS team we played. Can’t? That’s what I thought.  And most of your conference is overrated every year.  You play 3 games this year. Your schedule is ridiculously easy.

Played Sam Houston my Freshman year in 2006..pretty sure thats the only one

5 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

State of Georgia not UGA recruits only. The theory is Georgia being the heart of SEC and heavily recruited by the ACC drives a massive amount of 9.95 clicks and leads to kids getting way overrated.

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

It's the easiest we have had in recent memory, not doubt.  But the following is a ranking of our respective games, in order of difficulty in my opinion, and who I'd pick to win if they matched up (equal is no clue):

bama>ou

lsu (although who knows what they'll be this year)>osu

auburn>isu

ole miss=baylor

miss state=tcu

south carolina=k state

arkansas<wvu

vandy=kansas

It's not far apart, but I'd pick to play isu, ou and osu instead of bama, lsu and auburn all day.  I'm trying not to be a homer, but I don't know how you could pick otherwise.

7 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

It's the easiest we have had in recent memory, not doubt.  But the following is a ranking of our respective games, in order of difficulty in my opinion, and who I'd pick to win if they matched up (equal is no clue):

bama>ou

auburn>isu

ole miss=baylor

miss state=tcu

south carolina=k state

arkansas<wvu

vandy=kansas

It's not far apart, but I'd pick to play isu, ou and osu instead of bama, lsu and auburn all day.  I'm trying not to be a homer, but I don't know how you could pick otherwise.

Maybe. But I believe the idea is you have 2-3 extra bye weeks a year because of FCS shenanigans, and one of those comes in like week 9 typically for the SEC. So, given that, it’s pretty bad. Even bad D1 teams can bite up and upset you from time to time, but that is almost non existent for D2 teams. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe. But I believe the idea is you have 2-3 extra bye weeks a year because of FCS shenanigans, and one of those comes in like week 9 typically for the SEC. So, given that, it’s pretty bad. Even bad D1 teams can bite up and upset you from time to time, but that is almost non existent for D2 teams. 

Yeah I get that.  I'm not entirely sure why we bother with Lamar, ACU, and some of these.  Certainly not a bye in terms of being able to rest, but I doubt we're working as hard to plan for them.

48 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Kirby is an awful head coach. He is successful because he recruits cheats his ass off. He is Les Miles without the benefit of a shitty college football season to back his way into a MNC game. Even his mentor, Saban, figured out that you have run a modern offense. Until he changes his approach to offense, like Orgeron did, he will never win a championship at Georgia.

Orlando was able to eat his lunch.

Edited by HtownHorn

29 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

bama>ou

auburn>isu

ole miss=baylor

miss state=tcu

south carolina=k state

arkansas<wvu

I'm trying not to be a homer...

...aggys just can’t help it.

Very biased assessment of the conferences per usual from groupthink aggys. You never lose to S Car or Ark. You lost handily to KSU recently and you would as well to WVir. You would’ve lost to OSU had their best players not been out. aggys insulting a conference they won once in 16 years is nothing short of hilarious. All you have is Bama and LSU coat riding. The Big XII is tougher top to bottom. And aggys also never mention our tougher OOC slate. Dishonestly.

The SEC is a few top teams and then a majority of overrated JAGs including you. And you only play 8 conference games so you can all play an extra patsy so then all the records are dishonestly over inflated so then there’s a feedback loop when you beat an overrated conference mate. And the best teams don’t play each other regularly. And the conference cherry-picks all bowl games. It’s a fraud. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jordanaggie said:

At the same time, you can’t deny that before the game they were talking in the media about proving to people and the committee that they should have been chosen. They openly stated their motivation. They wanted very much to beat Texas. 

• Like 1

...aggys just can’t help it.

Very biased assessment of the conferences per usual from groupthink aggys. You never lose to S Car or Ark. You lost handily to KSU recently and you would as well to WVir. You would’ve lost to OSU had their best players not been out. aggys insulting a conference they won once in 16 years is nothing short of hilarious. All you have is Bama and LSU coat riding. The Big XII is tougher top to bottom. And aggys also never mention our tougher OOC slate. Dishonestly.

The SEC is a few top teams and then a majority of overrated JAGs including you. And you only play 8 conference games so you can all play an extra patsy so then all the records are dishonestly over inflated so then there’s a feedback loop when you beat an overrated conference mate. And the best teams don’t play each other regularly. And the conference cherry-picks all bowl games. It’s a fraud. 

No intention of being biased about the low- and middle of the conference teams, and no, I'm not keeping close tabs on ku, wv, k-state, etc.  I guess my point is, you are a bigger fish in a pond I believe is smaller; we're a smaller fish in a pond that I feel is bigger.  At this point, I'll be the first to admit that as far as the SEC, we're middle of the road.

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Ignoring the laughable OOC schedules and the fact that the SEC only plays 8 games, to help pad overall win totals... 

Your rankings look like a guy who didn't watch any football last year, or more likely has a B12 chip on his shoulder (Big Dumpster Fire OMGLOL). You realize that Miss State lost to KSU last year, right? On the field. Took a physical beatdown in doing it. Kansas State would beat the fucking soul out of a Muschamp-led Scar. It's hard to for me to imagine SCar beating anyone in the B12 outside of maybe Kansas. Ole Miss was 4-8 and and lost to Memphis and Cal. yet, you think they'd beat Baylor coming off an 11-3 season where they lost to OU by 3, OU in OT, and UGA? OMG BAYLOL, right? 

Reality: Texas is playing LSU, Bama, UGA, Florida, Arkansas (as well as tOSU and Michigan) in upcoming seasons. It's not hard to point out to kids that Texas isn't afraid of the SEC and the outcomes have shown that not only are they not afraid, Texas is quite capable of beating the dick off SEC teams. The longer the Ags dodge Texas, and make no mistake despite what internet aggy tough guy thinks, the entire college football world sees the Aggies as afraid to play Texas, esp with the other SEC teams having scheduled Texas. (thanks SEC brethren!) -- so the longer the Ags dodge Texas the worse it appears and the more it stands out as a black eye. 

Oh, I know a lot of aggy posters will go with the old staples "They have more to gain than us." -- or "they need us to validate their schedule". All of which is nonsense. Herman coming back out and saying it again, Texas adding Florida to the schedule - that was recruiting done right out in the open. You think kids in Texas don't want to see the game played? Hint: They do. You think current players don't want to play the game? Hint: They do. You think everyone sees Texas as the team saying "let's fucking go" and aggy as the team that is unwilling/scared? Hint: they do. 

aggy fan can talk circles around the issue but if you go out and talk to any rabid college football fan from other conferences/teams and see their take, it's going to be "aggy is ducking Texas." 

you know why? because aggy is ducking Texas. 

tumblr_mammdi2KNo1qedb29o1_500.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

I guess my point is, you are a bigger fish in a pond I believe is smaller; we're a smaller fish in a pond that I feel is bigger.  

Disagree sincerely. Not trying to be rude but aggys perpetuate this conference myth because it’s your only source of pride, certainly not individual accomplishments.

The SEC has a few top teams which the rest of you claim. And it’s not “lower teams”, it’s the majority of the conferences.  The Big XII is tougher top to bottom. The SEC East is a complete joke btw.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

At the same time, you can’t deny that before the game they were talking in the media about proving to people and the committee that they should have been chosen. They openly stated their motivation. They wanted very much to beat Texas. 

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/31/georgia-sugar-bowl/

Look, I'm sure they wanted to win, but they showed up down a lot of guys (13, looks like) and while Swift played, he had just a few carries (5-10?) and was apparently there for little purpose than to distract.  I'm just saying that it's not that bad of a take to say you didn't get the same Georgia that was playing for a playoff spot.

My contention has always been players always try to play well and it's all about the passion to the fan.  Reason being, barring injury, with every snap a grown ass, huge, weight lifting, lumbering piece of muscle with quick twitch fibers is physically hitting someone on every down for 4 quarters.  It's survival out there and if they're not fully locked in, the already really high risk of injury just increased.  Guys sweat and bleed over 4 quarters and they still have pride and want like hell to physically hurt the guy across from them because it's all they know how to and train to do.  Us fans say, they don't care but they very much care and feel it, every single snap.  The game is violent, of course they play hard.  

Disagree sincerely. Not trying to be rude but aggys perpetuate this conference myth because it’s your only source of pride, certainly not individual accomplishments.

The SEC has a few top teams which the rest of you claim. And it’s not “lower teams”, it’s the majority of the conferences.  The Big XII is tougher top to bottom. The SEC East is a complete joke btw.

With the Mississippi schools and Arkansas turning to shit in the last year to three, I can see why you say that.  I don't think it will be that way long, as they haven't historically been that bad.

And yes, the SEC east isn't good.  Will be curious to see what Florida can do with Mullen, though.

"We lost BUT they wanted to be there so that makes losing okay"

"You won BUT you only won because we know they didn't want to be there"

aggy logic...

• Like 1

Look, I'm sure they wanted to win, but they showed up down a lot of guys (13, looks like) and while Swift played, he had just a few carries (5-10?) and was apparently there for little purpose than to distract.  I'm just saying that it's not that bad of a take to say you didn't get the same Georgia that was playing for a playoff spot.

We had a lot of guys out too. aggys never mention that though. Dishonestly. More aggy spin because we hurt your conference myth. You were rooting for UGA to do something you’re afraid to do and got mad because they couldn’t do it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Parothed said:

"We lost BUT they wanted to be there so that makes losing okay"

"You won BUT you only won because we know they didn't want to be there"

aggy logic...

I'm never ok with losing.  Shouldn't have lost to them, honestly.  Another Mond special.

Why is it, do you think, that this wasn’t factored in before the game was played?  Because before the game was played, most everyone nationally and especially sec honks believed Georgia would roll over Texas, who was only in the game because ou got bumped to cfp incorrectly over Georgia. 
then after the game was played, the motivation and missing players became the talk. Guys needed an explanation on why they were wrong about the outcome, yet still correct about the relative strength of the teams, I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

We had a lot of guys out too. aggys never mention that though. Dishonestly. More aggy spin because we hurt your conference myth. You were rooting for UGA to do something you’re afraid to do and got mad because they couldn’t do it.

Honest question, who did you have out?

It was legitimately not reported on, that I can find.  Even now. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why is it, do you think, that this wasn’t factored in before the game was played?  Because before the game was played, most everyone nationally and especially sec honks believed Georgia would roll over Texas, who was only in the game because ou got bumped to cfp incorrectly over Georgia. 
then after the game was played, the motivation and missing players became the talk. Guys needed an explanation on why they were wrong about the outcome, yet still correct about the relative strength of the teams, I guess. 

Can't speak for anyone else, but frankly, I thought they were that much better than you guys.

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And Georgia is recruiting Texas and what better way than to show recruits they're better than by beating Texas.  Not to mention the amount of smack the Georgia players talked before the game.  They damn well cared and got whooped.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, jordanaggie said:

Honest question, who did you have out?

It was legitimately not reported on, that I can find.  Even now. 

Why do you think that is?

do you concern yourself with the players that sat out for ncstate and osu in your last two bowl games to the point that the wins are diminished to you?  

Can't speak for anyone else, but frankly, I thought they were that much better than you guys.

I believe there’s some sec mythology and anti-big12 bias informing that opinion. 

it helped that Georgia (and Utah last year) run an offense that is easier to defeat, schematically. 

im interested in how the sec defenses look in the next few years now that more and more sec teams are running a more spread, uptempo style offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I try not to be too homerish, but this game shocked the hell out of me.  It gave me some respect for Ehlinger, but also told me to never bet on Georgia on a non-playoff bowl game again.

Georgia hadn't lost a non-playoff bowl game since 2013.  And they won the irrelevant Sugar Bowl last season, too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The SEC schedule and TV partnership makes SEC dominance a self fulfilling prophecy. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the SEC doesn’t have dominant great teams. They absolutely do. But their schedule and TV partnership gives them an unfair advantage. Yes, I said unfair. It leads to SEC teams getting better bowl opportunities, playoff opportunities, and more payout money. 

First off, a little history. Notre Dame was the first team to get a separate TV deal from the College Football Association deal with ABC. They signed with NBC. They were the first team to get national exposure. Subsequently CBS signed a deal in 1996 with the the SEC. It allowed the SEC national exposure for its teams. Everyone else still got mostly regional coverage from ABC. Exposure equals the “eyeball test” media writers like to use. Remember, these media members vote in the polls. How can they rank teams high if they’ve never seen them play? Shit I remember watching Texas PPV games well into the 2000s. ESPN sign biggest deal with SEC in 2008. Again, exposure is good. Also, if you think marketing is not real and doesn’t work, then you obviously never heard of McDonalds. 

Step 1 - Have Media rank SEC teams high in preseason polls. This phenomenon took time to develop. See history above

Step 2 - Have big game early in season. (Either OOC or in conference, doesn’t matter). Why? Because losing early doesn’t hurt as much as losing late in the season. So if you win, you’re the best team. And if you lose, don’t worry, you can work your way back up to the best team later in the year. 

Step 3 - schedule 3 easy ass OOC games. FCS or not, doesn’t matter. You need to pad that win column. At the end of the year, that’s all that matters. Teams with more losses get ranked lower. Period. 

Step 4 - schedule only 8 conference games. Why this is big? Most other conferences have 9 games. So the SEC gains 7 wins and more importantly avoids 7 losses, which would hurt their teams ranking in the polls. 

Step 5 - schedule one of your easy ass OOC late in the season. So when the rest of the conferences have half their team lose to a conference game, and half your teams don’t take an L. Your teams rise in the polls. 

Add this all together, the SEC manufactures their reputation more than anything, leading to more money, better bowls, and more playoffs appearances.

this shit ain’t changing until all have the same schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 6

48 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

No intention of being biased about the low- and middle of the conference teams, and no, I'm not keeping close tabs on ku, wv, k-state, etc.  I guess my point is, you are a bigger fish in a pond I believe is smaller; we're a smaller fish in a pond that I feel is bigger.  At this point, I'll be the first to admit that as far as the SEC, we're middle of the road.

IIRC, isn't aggy's historical conference winning percentage around 55%?  If so, would that make aggy "middle of the road" in every conference in which they've played?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1